Weekly Meal Plan







The weather is cooperating with the idea that there's been a seasonal change.  I'm pulling out my cooler weather recipes even if it's not exactly as cool as I'd like it to be.  We've had a couple of afternoons on the porch and were quite comfortable.  I've had the AC off most nights and mornings until well past noon and then it cycles on.  And did I mention that the propane man came Friday was a week ago and filled up our tank?

I have my little potted garden on the patio where it can get plenty of sun.  The lettuces, carrots, peas, beets, and spinach are all coming up nicely and the tomato plants never looked so good as they do now.  I have high hopes we'll eat from those pots before the new month is over.

Arroz con Pollo, Pineapple Salad
A simple enough meal of chicken and rice. I cut up a whole chicken I bought and divided the pieces.  I roasted a few, cooked twice as much as we needed for this dish, so I could put a casserole of chicken and rice in the freezer for a future easy meal. There was plenty of onion and a home roasted red bell pepper in that dish to count as vegetables, as well as some peas.



Pot Roast with Root Vegetables, Wedge Salads, Cornbread Muffins, Apple Brown Betty
I sliced and pared apples for the twins to snack on this week and had some slices leftover. I also have a huge loaf of store bought Challah this week that we'll need to use up, so this seems a suitable dessert.  I wish I had a bit of whipped cream to go on top...I think I'll whip some chilled evaporated milk.  I won't be trying to add vanilla pudding to stabilize it this time!

Chicken Pot Pie, Cranberry Sauce, Mashed Potatoes, Fruit Salad
I had extra chicken that I roasted the other day and then I made broth with the backbone and neck.  These were all bonus from that chicken I bought.  I'll make my own gravy, add some mixed vegetable which are all green and yellow ones, so the potatoes will be a nice addition.  I'll use a variety of fresh fruits to make the fruit salad.

Roast Beef Hash, Green Beans,  Carrot and Raisin Salad, Rolls
I'll cook extra potatoes when I make the mashed potatoes and save them for this dish.  We really enjoy hash as it makes good use of the leftover meat, vegetables, and gravy.  Funny how it doesn't taste the same as pot roast even though it's the same ingredients.

Cheese Pizza with added toppings, Green Salad
I have bell peppers, onions, olives, and mushrooms to add to the pizza.

Sloppy Joes, Potato Soup, Apples with Caramel Dip
I have plenty of chicken broth in my freezer to make the soup with.  I will add zucchini and mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, carrots and tomatoes to my sloppy joe mix to really stretch the ground beef.

BBQ Beef Cups, Corn, Coleslaw
I'll use the remaining sloppy joe mix, add some bbq sauce and pack into biscuit dough lined muffin cups.  It's a good use of leftovers.  Alternate idea might be to do a hot pocket type dish with the biscuit dough.

1 comment:

Lena said...

Your menu sounds delicious! With everything happening, we didn't plant a fall garden this year. We still have some tomatoes, zucchinis and peppers left but, overall, we are almost done for the season.