The Modern Home Economist: How to Make a Checkerboard Cake






I don't know about you, but I've always loved to see checkerboard cakes rather than the old fashioned and more common marble cake layers.  There was just something special about seeing a cut cake reveal a checkerboard pattern.  

I've seen specialized pans, but I have a kitchen rule: If it serves only ONE purpose, it doesn't belong.  This rule began way back when I had extremely limited storage space.  It teaches you to be frugal in many ways when you've no place to store things.  Even after moving into a home with plenty of storage I've stuck to my old rules.  They made sense...but checkerboard cakes!


Well I was pleased while looking through this month's issues of vintage magazines to find this ad from Cut-Rite Waxed paper.  It shows how to make a checkerboard cake without a specialized pan.  I keep waxed paper on hand in my baking center, so this will work nicely for me.



Remember you can enlarge the images by left clicking and hitting 'View Image' on the pop up menu.

Now this could be done with more than chocolate and vanilla cake.  Why not try your hand at a red Velvet and White Chocolate Cake or a Peppermint version using red velvet and peppermint flecked white cake layers?  What about a coffee flavored and a chocolate chip?  I can think of so many ways to be creative with this.

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

I've read a number of old publications but this is a new tip to me.

Kathy said...

oh how fun! I may surprise my family with a checkerboard cake soon!

Thrifty Thursday: Try Harder