In My Home This Week: Better and Better


Well here I am.  I'm not gonna tell a story:  this was a tough cold and it took a hard toll on me.  This woman, who enjoys working hard and is usually hard at work doing something, sat in her chair and did as little as possible for the bulk of a full week, yet.   It was all I could do just to be sick and I mean that.  Along about Friday I started to feel myself once more.  Whew!  It was a brief reprieve with Saturday finding me miserably backslidden.  Never mind all that.  This morning I was up early and the first thing I did was declare war on germs.  I've had enough!  I opened the windows and aired the house for over an hour.  I wiped and sprayed disinfectant on every surface we'd touched over the past month.  Enough, I say, enough!

Meal plans went kaplooey last week.  I don't think I made more than one of the meals on my plan. That's the way it goes some weeks, you know.  So I just used what I had on hand as we wanted to use it and didn't worry about whether it was on the plan, didn't plan to use a thing we didn't already have.  Meals were simple overall and most all included as much extra Vitamin C as I could include.  We had enough leftovers to serve us weekend meals.  Since these were not planned meals for last week I'll include those menus here this week.



Breakfast:  Ham and Cheese Strata, Apple Slices

Chili Mac, Green Salad, Pineapple Cobbler

Kielbasa with Potatoes Au Gratin, Brussels Sprouts, Sliced Tomatoes

Garlic Herb Roasted Chicken, Maple roasted Butter Nut Squash, Steamed Green Beans, Pineapple Cobbler

Beef Stew, Crisp Green Salad, Corn Muffins, Baked Stuffed Apples

On My Own

Chicken Pot Pie with Sweet Potato Crust, Green Beans, Waldorf Salad

Leftovers


Jobs This Week

There are a million jobs I'd like to tackle and projects I want to start or finish.  I'm gonna be cautious though.  I gave the house a decent smartening up this morning.  I'm not planning to work myself backwards as I did on Friday.  I'm going to do what must be done and if I feel up to anything extra I'll slowly work away at the extras.

Bills, Groceries, Errands

Clean and sort out the guest room.  The bedding is fresh but the room needs to be spruced up.  We have guests coming in to stay overnight.

Clean and sort out the guest bath.

Plan meals for weekend.

Lab Work for me.

Fun This Week:

 I want very much to see the new Bond film, but if it all goes bust, I'll settle for being fully well.  I

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is one consolation now a days with films. If we miss it and it does not show at the matinee movie house that shows second run movies we can later either buy it rent it or check cable tv,a movie Netflix or such services. When we were young you missed You MISSED it !! :-))) If you were lucky some day it shows on tv late ate night. :-)) I still remember the elation..so unbelievable when VHS can on the screen. They were expensive at first but you could OWN your favorite movies! Imagine that!!!! I couldn't stop smiling looking at the racks of movies for sale!!! I hope you do get to see this movie and have a time out to relax.
There is nothing like the 'big screen' to make a movie really come alive though. I hope they never stop showing movies in the theater. Our theaters years ago were all things of beauty themselves. The architecture was so beautiful and the velvet curtains and all. It added to the luxury of going to watch a movie. sigh....
I read lately that when you get older you spend more time thinking about yourself. Not in any vein way. You think where you are stepping to make sure of sure footing. You think when you eat cause you know certain things might upset or be bad for your individual system. You know you are not immortal anymore and plan out activities more so now and so on. I even now think before sitting places....I want to make sure i can later get up and out of the chair! :-)
So you are now living for a time one hour at a time calculating your energy level. That is good. In the long run you will get more done that way than if you over did it and paid for it later. I am amazed at how many people I see that are my age and have so much more zip and go. They don't walk...they almost run. They seem so limber and agile. We all all different and all age differently. We all thought need to take care of ourselves and try to stay well. You sure work at all of that. So far we are ok but lots of our friends have gotten bad colds lately. No flu around yet. We got our shots as did most people we know.
You can only do what you can do. I have just been doing simple meals mostly cause we have been so active lately out and about I am too tired to eat much ! I need to get in the habit of prepping more. With not knowing from day to day if we will be home to eat our meals it is hard but I still can keep more freezer meals made so that would cover those days. You keep me thinking and when I have my thinking cap on and do what I should life sure is easier!!! :-))
Am I understanding it right that you pot pie with sweet potato crust on is made putting the mashed sweet potatoes on top of the post pie instead of a pastry crust? Like you do the corn bread topping? I want to incorporate more sweet potatoes in our diet and this is one more way. Thanks you! I pray you continue to get well and gain your total strength back. Sarah



Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

So happy your feeling improved..Hope each day finds you better and better.
Don't over do.. Your plan of doing a little and waiting until your ready, is a great plan.
Hope you get to see the movie. Will be a nice time out.

Lana said...

Good to hear that you are on the mend!