Coffee Chat: Achoo!



Hello dears.  Do come in.  There's fruitcake today to have with our coffee.  And if you'd like we can take it out to the porch and sit.  It's quite pleasant outdoors now the sun has had a chance to warm but gracious it was cold and frosty this morning.

How was your Thanksgiving?  Ours was super busy and super nice.  I had 3 of my 4 children at home and 6 of my 10 grandchildren.   Our dinner guests were 18 in number for dinner and 14 for supper.   Thankfully there were plenty of leftovers to serve for supper. And enough leftover  still to put dressing and sweet potato casserole into the freezer.   Taylor barely ate which is odd for her.   But Isaac...That little boy put down bite for bite every bit as much as all the other children together from start right through to dessert for a finish.  And my but he was happy over it!   It wasn't long before Gramma had him down for a nap after that big meal.  He's going to do well with Thanksgiving traditions, taking his nap after eating turkey, isn't he?



I met my sister in law, John's brother's wife, for the first time.   We've technically been sisters in law since 2000 but we've never met.   We have now and I consider her a friend as well as family.  Despite traveling from Texas, a road trip that took two days, Pilar was up early Thursday morning and matched me task for task in the kitchen.  I didn't use a dish that she didn't pick it up right away and wash it, too.  She came prepared with the little things oft forgotten, like Cool Whip and cranberry sauce, as well as cookies for the children.  She also brought the ingredients to make a lovely fruit salad and a broccoli rice casserole.   Per her instructions I put the giblets in the bottom of my roasting pan to cook with the turkey and removed those for her to make giblet gravy.  Yum!  John doesn't care for giblet gravy but nearly everyone else likes it.  I made him some plain turkey gravy.  I now know where I've made my mistake over the years with giblet gravy.  Liver and gizzard and heart can make for a bitter broth and I've always cooked my giblets top of stove in a pan of water and then used that water to make the gravy.  What is really wanted is to use a fresh batch of broth and cook those giblets in the oven as she instructed me to do.  I am always pleased to learn something to further my cooking skills.  Despite her remembering to bring Cool Whip I forgot all about putting it out when we served dessert.

My best tip from Thanksgiving worked like a charm.  That was to add 1 cup of water to the roasting pan when you put the turkey in the oven.  It kept the meat from drying out, creating a nice steam that moistened the stuffing, too.   I can't remember where I read the tip but it was somewhere on Pinterest no doubt.  My sole mistake was that my pan for the turkey just really wasn't big enough.  Using the size pan I did allowed me to have room for broccoli rice casserole but that turkey filled that pan with broth.   The pan was heavy with the turkey in it and I sloshed it some when I was taking it out of the oven.   The grease and broth splashed into the bottom of the stove and smoked the house up really thick.  I opened windows and doors, turned on the stove vent and tried to wipe out that hot oven bottom but it's still smoking this late in the week despite being cleaned.

Needless to say it was a lot of work to get dinner on the table and the tables set up and then clearing it up all up.  But it was worth every minute of busy I spent when I was told several times over "Oh I've enjoyed today!  I've had such a good time!   The food was so good!"  by nearly every person present.

My oldest son and his children came back for breakfast the next day.  I'd told John the night before that I didn't think the children realized that all those strangers standing around them had been family.  So while we were waiting on breakfast, I explained to them that all but one person at our gathering was their actual family and belonged to them.  Their eyes got wide as they thought back to how many people crowded the rooms the day before.   Josh has a great concept of family and automatically attaches to anyone who is family but the young Cheney children don't seem to have any grasp of family at all.  I thought it important that they understand they were not an island apart in the midst of all those people.

Taylor at least attempted to eat with the children but eventually she gave up and came to sit beside me at the big dining table.  That was fine with me, of course.  She decided at one point that she needed to 'feed' me.  So she put a bit of food in my mouth, then took up her napkin and gently wiped my mouth clean, lol.  I glanced over at Katie who was watching the whole thing.  I don't think anyone but just the two of us was even aware of what Taylor was doing at that moment.    Taylor isn't familiar with the three young Cheney children but she called out to Josh several times.   Initially she had a slight fear of all the crowd but she soon stopped crying and settled into playing.  She more or less adopted Bess's mom and spent time chattering to her while Mama played with Hailey.  The boys were all outdoors enjoying themselves and kept coming indoors covered with dirt which is very boyish, don't you think?

The little princess table and chairs I found at the dump a couple of months ago were a huge hit with all the children, though Daniel is a bit big for it at 8.  However, they hauled it out to the back porch after lunch and took out the little cooking set I'd bought at the dollar store a few weeks ago and happily 'cooked';  boys and girls alike thought that toy was pretty nice.  I've just seen a toy stand mixer and a coffee maker in the Aldi catalog I'd like to get to add to the toy box if I see them in my store next week.

At some point the boys, who'd been playing under the carport with cars decided they needed to add dirt to those cooking pots to cook with.  I wasn't keen on having dirt all over the back porch.   But those little metal pots and utensils went right into the dishwasher that evening and came out sparkling clean.

It was a lovely day, really and truly lovely.  John told me multiple times how very much he'd enjoyed it all.

We didn't stay up late Thursday night, none of us.  John had come in from work Thanksgiving morning, and I'd been up mighty early two mornings in a row and Pilar and George were still lagging with all the long travel they'd done.  I would love to tell you I slept really well, but I was overstimulated by all the company and activity and my head didn't stop all night long, keeping up an endless amount of chatter.  I dragged out of bed Friday morning when the kids pulled up a bit after 7am.

John cooked eggs Friday morning which is his specialty.  Pilar asked if she might eat leftovers and I told her to  have what she liked.   That is a tradition with herself, eating leftovers for breakfast.  I attempted to eat eggs and toast but my plate grew quite cold by the time I'd helped each grandchild in turn with some portion of their meal.  I didn't realize until lunch how much I'd missed eating breakfast.  I'd barely had time to speak to my son on Thanksgiving day and was pleased he remembered Friday that I wanted a few minutes to talk with him and catch up.  We had a nice chat off to ourselves, before he left to return to Kingsland.

After the oldest son and grandchildren left, we got in the car and went on a long drive.  You'd think it would be the very last thing that our company would want to do but they are city folks and the lack of things to 'see' or do here really was a huge adjustment, as was the idea that every single thing they'd like to do involved 40 minutes travel.  We rode around where John and George's dad used to live and then we had dinner at mine and John's favorite restaurant.  It was so much later than we'd realized when we had our dinner.  It was nearly dark when we came home so we had coffee and pie for dessert and that was all the supper we had that evening.  Saturday was a repeat of Friday, with us eating a late dinner out and then coming home for dessert and coffee. 

Our guests left on Sunday morning, but not until we'd all taken pictures.
I'm ashamed to say that the photos of John and his brother and Pilar and myself were all the photos we took.  John had said to me on Tuesday night to be sure and use my phone to photograph the children...Well I was so busy and distracted I never once even thought to pick up my phone.  I was a little frustrated that evening when he said sadly after everyone left that we hadn't gotten one picture.  I did wonder why he'd not pulled out his phone and arranged a photo shoot since he has the same phone as mine and it takes pictures just as well.  I suppose he was as distracted as I.

John and I really enjoyed all the company but we were also a bit overwhelmed with it because it was such a contrast to our usual quiet days.  We are not accustomed to going about every day and eating out multiple times back to back, though it does seem we're doing more and more of both those things of late!  We attempted to recover on Sunday after our guests left but we also did some housework.  I put a meal in the crockpot to cook which seemed luxury to me after eating out.   We started the first of three loads of laundry.  John opened windows and aired the house and vacuumed the floors. We hung laundry on the line to dry.   I snuggled down in my chair and tried not to look as miserable as I felt.  I acquired a cold over the weekend and was hoarse as could be.


I didn't get my tree up on Thanksgiving night, but I did manage to bring it into the house on Friday.  It's not up, not really, unless leaning crookedly to the  side in an imitation of the Tower of Pisa counts.  I am going to have to find my tree stand for it.  My planned use of an old enameled chamber pot is simply not working.  I dare not put a single ornament on that tree as is, for fear they should all come crashing to the ground.  For once, thanks to that little post I wrote up, I am on top of my plans for decorating and Channukah and very nearly done with Christmas as well.  And oh joy!  Pilar left me with a bottle of champagne to have New Year's Eve.  How's that for a nice bit of serendipity?

Tuesday while John was working I really thought I'd take time to decorate for Christmas but I didn't feel up to going to the shed and I am  lacking any type of winter greenery/floral and didn't feel up to going outdoors to hunt any of the cedar that grows so well here on the place.   At present, I'm afraid my Christmas is basically a leaning tree.  Not a look I recommend.  I had such big plans for the day while I was alone but I accomplished less than I'd thought I might.  I got plenty done mind you, but it wasn't all that was on my list.  

I made the guest bed, which I'd left unmade on Monday after washing sheets and hanging them to dry.  I  cleaned the baths and swept and vacuumed floors.  I sorted out the fridge and moved a few things to the freezer.  I had quite an accumulation of dibs and dabs of stuff that will feed Maddie and Misu the rest of this week.  I picked up the house which was a longer task than I'd anticipated.  I sorted out my vintage magazines and made an inventory list of condition and issues so I'd know what to look for this coming year as I begin to replace the really bad ones.  And then I was thrown a bit of a monkey wrench in that a party meant to start mid December for Jamberry was moved to start this Friday.  I had to move from thinking of ideas to actually executing them.  It was what I call quiet work, work I could do while sitting and I was ready for that after working all morning long, but it was a long afternoon and evening bit of work so not nearly as restful as you'd think.

Towards evening, I decided it was worth lighting the tree even it was leaning crazily to the right, which was an alteration from it's previous leaning to the left.  Somehow the lower lights in the room and the soft glow of the tree combined to take away from the crookedness of it.   Which just goes to prove that the right lighting can seemingly mask many faults!

I had no time at all to read my Bible or listen to my praise and worship music through the visiting, though I did have music playing on Thursday morning while we worked at getting dinner together.  Do you know I found it very hard to pick back up where I'd left off  again.   I don't know why it is so easy to break a good habit and so hard to overcome a bad one!  But there you are.  I had to really discipline myself yesterday morning to sit down and read my Bible.  I wish it were as easy to give up eating too much or thinking negative thoughts.  But no, those things require me to practice giving them up repeatedly while I slipped right away from Bible reading and then had to toughen myself to stop and take it up once more.

Another habit that has come easily has been a seasonal one.   I close curtains when it just begins to be dark.  Now I find myself putting on my pajamas at that time, as well.  I am shorting myself of a good two or three hours of work, because once the pajamas go on the mind seems to go off, if you know what I mean.   Tuesday when I discovered I needed to work on those party plans I didn't allow myself to even consider pajamas until I was good and done with work.

The weather has been rather nice.  I'm glad of it because it's meant we could open windows and let fresh air and sunshine in. I believe in good old fashioned remedies for shoving away sickness and that includes air and sunshine as much as it does Vitamin C and fluids and rest.

Opening windows has also meant letting in a dozen or more of the Mexican Bean Beetles. Somehow they get around our screens and into the windows and then into the house.  I spent Tuesday evening collecting them to put back outdoors.  They emit a nasty little smell when you touch them, not anything ghastly but definitely something noticeable that is unpleasant.  I found them on curtains and walking along the edge of the toilet seat and playing a sort of bumper car game with one another on the molding that goes around the top of the wall.  I tried spraying them but their hard shell prevents any penetration of the oil in the spray from killing them.   They just marched right on across the ceiling as they'd been doing. 

Mexican Bean Beetles are a member of the lady beetle family but they are something of the wicked stepsister to Lady bugs.  Mexican Bean Beetles feed on plants rather than other insects and they are especially fond of burrowing into plant debris.  They skeletonize leaves of plants as they feed on them.   Living in an agricultural area, with plenty of plant debris in the fields at this season, these bugs are at their peak just now.  You can't walk outdoors without them flying at you.   When we hang laundry it pays to take time to shake and brush off every single piece before bringing them indoors.  The Farmer's Almanac recommends picking them by hand and killing them.  There are far too many to even think that might be effective here.  I'd rather just capture them if they get in the house and toss them out of the door.  Eventually they will go away.   They seem to be seasonal.  I rarely notice them when it's really cold, nor even in the heat of summer while crops are ripening so much but in the fall they become noticeable.

As I worked about the house Tuesday with the windows open I heard the geese flying southward.  I always think really they ought to be further along by now but I suppose there are many less cold areas to stop in on their way south.   In a few short months they will begin going back north and it will take them months to arrive.  It does seem their arrival in the south and subsequent stay is a bit like a vacation more than a seasonal thing.

It made me think of my sister in law who said they might go home on Saturday...or perhaps sometime next week.  I knew it had been a very long road trip since it took two days to arrive here from their home in Texas with one overnight stop.  I suppose it seemed a bit much to think of hopping back in the car to remake that journey in reverse after just two days!  However, in the end they headed back on Sunday and arrived home quite late Monday night.   She told me she enjoyed her visit and hoped to come back someday but not anytime too soon since it was such a long trek.

Today has been a fairly easy day.  I've been working on that next Jamberry party that starts on Friday and went out to the shed to gather items to decorate with for Christmas.  I made a quite good meal for us.  Dear John was worn out.  He said they got a whole half hour of rest last night at work after being busy all day long.  So I've kept to quiet work today...and chattering at you.

I suppose it's time to end our visit and move on to other things.  I could chat on ad on about a dozen or two more things but it won't decorate a tree or fashion wreaths from my old grapevine wreaths, nor address Christmas cards as I ought to be doing...So off I go for now.


7 comments:

Debby in Kansas said...

Gosh, if I'd been through all that work & people, I'd be sitting on the sofa with a good book!!

As expected, it was very quiet around here. While our home was peaceful, life happened. Or I should say 'death.' My best friend called T'giving night, sobbing. Her mom had a massive heart attack while preparing dinner (with others). She died a few hours later. So, I spent much of the weekend on the phone with her. As it happened in a different county than she lived, it's taking a long time to get the details done so they can bury her, thus dragging on the pain for the family.

We managed a couple of trips to the dog park. The weather was beautiful so it was great to get outside. We're expecting nice weather again this weekend so I hope for another run with the puppies! There was a small dog there- I called him a little 5 lb. bag of flour with legs!- he was herding all these big dogs as they ran around. It was hilarious. German Shepherds, Boxers, a Dane, Labs, etc. Completely submissive to the little whippersnapper!

Except for the kitchen, the rest of the Christmas décor is up. And, I'm hoping that at the end of the season (January 6th, for us), nearly half of it is in a box to donate to Goodwill. As I unpacked it, I realized how not special much of it is to me. I hope my husband is on board.

I also finally started on my Christmas cards. I'm so glad I have the supplies and knew the pattern I was making because it's gone very smoothly. I expect they'll be done in the next week and ready to mail by the 10th at the latest. I'm hoping to have the bulk of packages mailed by Monday and then I can be done. As I have little relationship with those I mail gifts to, there is no joy in it. Just obligation. But, since I carried on with all the other nieces & nephews, I don't feel right to just stop at the last 3. The gifts I do enjoy sending out are to my dear friends! I buy flour sack towels at the feed store and embroider them each a set of two every year. I love to embroider and the patterns are smallish so I never tire of them. I've done a coffee & desserts theme, an herb theme, a vegetable theme, & butterflies. I think that for next year, I might do holiday. They all tell me they love the giant absorbent towels and that I can't ever stop sending them!!

Hard to believe December is only two days away. Blink twice and it'll be January. I think time goes faster and faster as I age.

Enjoy your week & get some rest!

BTW, I saw those little mixers & such in the Aldi ad today. They are darling!! I wondered about buying them to donate.

Delorise said...

Mexican bean beetles so that is what those pesky bugs are called. What a pain they are- you go outside they get in your hair and on your clothes. I guess we bring them inside on our clothes or maybe when I bring the laundry in off the line. The next thing they are on the ceiling. If a hard freeze will get rid of them then here is hoping for one, however since I was running around in capris' this afternoon and looks like nice weather for a few days, don't see that happening. Fingers crossed they don't hang around long. Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving- I am so glad. I've been doing the 25 Days of Christmas thru Kroger- lots of good deals and some freebies. Have a great rest of week.

Cheryl said...

If they are the same bug that we get in Western PA, we call them stink bugs because they smell when you kill them. I flush them or Hoover them up. They seem to like the light at night and when it warms up during the fall (over 50 degree) these pass few days, they come in.

Carolyn @ Our Gilded Abode said...

Glad you had a great Thanksgiving! Your SIL sounds very nice. I’ve read that those beetles don’t care for the scent of lemon and lemon cleaning products. Not sure if that’s true tho. Have a nice rest of the week!

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri!
Sounds like you had a great time with family. I love how you pointed out to the children that they were part of that great group of adults. That sense of connection is a valuable feeling to hold on to in this often disjointed culture...a gift of sorts. So happy you have new happy memories to add to your holiday collection! Ours went smoothly as well...barring the refrigerator incident I mentioned (in a comment left on an earlier post) haha!
Love,
Tracey
XoX
P.S. Pilar sounds like a wonderful friend/sister in law...love the roasted giblets idea...and your suggestion to add water to the turkey roaster...will try them both next time I'm ambitious enough to roast a turkey...probably the first of the year when using up one bought on sale during the holidays and frozen for quieter winter days!

Tammy said...

We've had a few hard freezes, so our autumn pest, the minute pirate bug, has disappeared. They're minuscule black bugs with a sharp bite. No venom, just a bite, and sometimes make beautiful autumn afternoons miserable.

I can relate you not getting as much done after the holiday as you'd planned. Yesterday I finally hit a wall, and just didn't get up with Greg when the alarm went off. In fact, he got ready and went to work, and I slept until almost 8! Then I sat most of the day. Part of that time was doing work on the computer for my job, then I'd get up and do a bit of housework, then I'd sit again. I'm all caught up on Grey's Anatomy now.

Today I must kick it into high gear and get a few things accomplished. Yet, here I am, chatting away on the computer, snuggled into my chair. LOL. There is a load of laundry going, and I'll hop to the rest of my tasks today in a little bit. It's still pitch dark outside for another half hour. Sunrise will be my cue to get started.

Anonymous said...

All my family was in the north and I have been 3000 miles from them forever it seems. My husband's family lived here. Now only one is alive though. I miss not having a large family around like ti was when I was growing up. I hoped my children would grow up knowing so many but that didn't happen. It felt nice hearing about your times with family and remembering how that felt..the closeness and love we shared. Thank you for sharing.

We still have the cooking utensils and such our grands used. I need to give them away to a family of younger kids now. I wish you were closer to be able to give them to you. My grandchildren are old enough to have children of their own now! :) How they all loved using them though. They would pull up a chair and use the top for a counter and the bottom for the oven. Such imaginations. I loved hearing your grandchildren doings. When we are out and about even children barely able to sit up are given a device to look at instead of a toy or having games you make up with your hands for the etc. So very sad.
Our thanksgiving went well too. We had it at our daughters and like always everyone contributed different dishes. She has always used the heavy plastic throw away drink glasses. She marks each person's name one each so we don't forget which is ours as we walk around the house with them. Most years she rewashes them any way and puts them back for the next celebration. Some years threw get tossed and others not. I am a sucker for pretty napkins though and most times bring her pretty ones for each celebrations. They like to use their Fiesta dishes for eating. Since they have have them in many colors it is no problem to find napkins in the right colors!!

Around here the cheapest place for tissues is Aldi. For every day we have always used cloth napkins so we don't usually buy them but splurge and get the paper ones for celebrations. The prints are so pretty!! I use cloth hankies some but buy and use tissues because my husband wants them out and handy.

I sure know on Thanksgiving when supper and time to relax and enjoy each other was done we were ready to head home and relax. Which included getting ready for bed and putting our pjs on. It wore us out and we did not even have the home where the company came!

Thank you too for the giblet hint and the water under the b bird one too. So it is the giblets being in the same water that makes them bitter? We take the liver out to start with and it goes to one of the family dogs as no one wants that in it. I have always simmered them in a pan of water too. Do you just use water or broth to start the giblet gravy then?

One more question Terri. I am sorry but I have no understanding of what a Jam berry party is and how it is done. :-))) And is it all done on line? I know you have mentioned them several times but I have never heard of these parties except on our blog. I guess I could Google it! ... Da. ... LOL :-)))))) Sarah