Thanksgiving Count Down: Thriving Through the Chaos



It's the week of Thanksgiving as I'm sure too many of you are well aware.  I've seen Tammy's array of pies on facebook and there's not only a turkey thawing in my fridge but about 20 baked sweet potatoes waiting to be peeled and mashed for soufflé.  There's cornbread and bread cubes, diced onions and celery in the freezer and four quarts of broth thawing in the fridge.   Yes we're well under way for the holiday week...

I don't know about you but stress and tension starts to mount this time of year.  Not only must we deal with family members who may be a stressor as much as they are loved, we are trying to do too much and accomplish everything at once.  I woke in the middle of the night and began to go over our plans in my mind and at some point this sense of calm came over me.  "I got this..." I said to myself.  And went right back to sleep.  That was pretty awesome.  Awakening with a sense of purpose, I hopped to the next morning and next thing I knew I was hit out of the blue by a feeling of illness.  I was sidelined for the most part the rest of the day.  Not fun.  Not at all a happy day of cleaning and shopping and planning.  I lay about and wondered how on earth can I say "I've got this?" when I'm sidelined at the start?



Well I do have this.  I am feeling much better.  I expect there's a good explanation for the ailment and since it's lately a recurring thing I mean to see my doctor to try and sort it out.   But NOT this week, lol.   In the meantime, can I just share what I'm doing to keep things rolling smoothly along?

#1.  Clear the clutter.  Now don't think I'm crazy.  I used to be one of those perfectionist types who thought the whole house had to be spotless and that included drawers and closets I hadn't touched in months.  No.  Don't even think it's a possibility this week. 

I'm telling you to clear the clutter from your work space.  Clean off the kitchen counters of everything that is not necessary to food prep for this week.  Put it in the garage or stash it on a counter that is out of the work space but move it.   Put away the clean dishes in the dish drainer or that you stacked on the counter after unloading the dishwasher.  Put the toaster away after breakfast.  Put away the cute chotskies.  They will only hinder and impeded you when you need every inch of counter space you have.

Clean off the dining table and leave it clear all week long.  I don't care if you have to stash stuff under your bed, move it off the table for this week.  Put a pretty centerpiece on it.  Now move on.

Walk into your living room and bedroom and quickly clear the side tables and coffee table.  Put away clothes that have been left sitting.  We are not cleaning.  Now is not the time to tackle anything but the most glaringly obvious cleaning needs.  If there are dust bunnies ON the table...well yes, you might want to tackle those, but if they are hiding out under the couch, let them nest there.

#2.  Organize your head, first.    List out your menu.  If you're going to have guests stay beyond the holiday (as I am) then plan meals for those days coming up as best you can.  You may or may not need them but don't plan on leftovers unless you have a 20 pound turkey and only four showing up for dinner.  In my case, I have 18 coming to dinner and 6 potential guests for the weekend.  Yes, that's right, I don't really know how long these six plan to stay but I must have a plan to execute if they are here.   So plan those meals.  Hopefully you'll plan with a eye on what you have on hand and won't need to run to the store for more than whipped cream (don't we always forget that?) and bread and milk.

#3.  Organize your groceries.   Right now I know where every component of the meal I'm making is.  The turkey and broth and baked sweet potatoes and eggs are in the fridge.  The canned soups, beans, canned onion rings, instant potatoes, salad dressings are all together in one cabinet.  Hold on a minute...I want to move the brown sugar to that cupboard, too...Cornbread and bread cubes, chopped celery and onion are altogether in the fridge freezer.  I'll be moving that to the refrigerator tomorrow so I'm sure they are thawed.   I know where every single component needed to complete my meal is right now.  No digging through the back of the cupboard Thursday morning trying to find that can of cranberry sauce that is doing a very good job of hiding like the hunted turkey...

#4.  Know your cooking times and prepare your schedule.  There is no point at all in putting the green bean casserole in with the turkey...It will only be  over baked and dry and who wants that? 

But there are things you can do ahead.  My rule of thumb is that if it contains eggs, I wait until I'm ready to start the cooking process before prepping.  Stuffed turkey should never be stuffed ahead of time.  Only just before it goes into the oven.  Elaine at Sunny Simple Life shared with me that she makes her mashed potatoes early in the day.   She allows them to be a bit wetter than usual then plops them in the crockpot and adds pats of butter on top.  She then lets them sit on LOW (my crock has a "Keep Warm" setting) and says to stir them every half hour.  And in case of any of you who are going to do as I am and are using instant potatoes, Lana left a comment earlier last week that adding a mashed cooked potato or two to the instant potatoes transforms them from boxed to "Hey you made real potatoes!".   Pies and cakes may obviously be made ahead and stored in a cake or pie keeper in a cool place (doesn't have to be a fridge). 

So do what you can ahead but by all means be aware of what can't be done ahead and set yourself the task of figuring out exactly what time that turkey is going to be done and how much longer you have to cook the green bean casserole if the temperature is a little lower and you've had to triple or quadruple the recipe.  Then pin that up where you can find it come Thanksgiving morning.

#5.  Give in.  Most people invited to dinner will call and ask, "What can I bring?"  Or "May I bring a pie?", etc. 

Now just take my word for it, I have planned my dinner and I've let myself get over anxious about someone else needing fridge space when it's already packed full, and worried about having a glut of leftovers, or bringing in something to be baked when the oven is packed full.  These are legitimate concerns on my part...but...

You know what?  Let everybody bring what they'd like.   It's so much easier to just say "Yes.  Please do!"   If they haven't a clue what they might bring, have a list nearby with something simple and easily picked up like a gallon of tea from a store deli or a container of whipped cream or extra cups and napkins.   In the end, it's really about the gathering together isn't it?  So when one of my guests offered to make Pumpkin Bars, I said "Sure!  That will be great!" and when another offered to bring a ham, though her husband was horrified since John and I don't eat pork, I told him "Let her bring it.  We may not eat it but everyone else we know does and it will get eaten."

If there are leftovers then send them home with someone else.   My two youngest live just far enough away to make travel easy but to present a hardship when they arrive home to put a meal on the table.  I'll fix them up a plate and send them on their way with enough to at least feed them supper.  Those who must travel further run the risk of having food spoiled before they might arrive home.  Keep this in mind when insisting someone take leftovers.  Something is portable.  And if you're having company for the weekend then happily accept the provision and use the food to cover the need.

#6.  Take time for yourself.  When I'm focused and busy I'll work on all sorts of jobs and tasks that might well have waited.  It's as though I can't quite be sure my wagon is full enough already to stop loading it up.  Well it is!  So what did I do this morning?  A manicure.  While I sat and listened to a series of praise songs.  I took time to read my Bible and will be sure, once company arrives, to take my books to my room for just that purpose before I present myself.  I might even set up my little single cup coffee maker in my room just so I can have my first cup in peace.  (That's a good idea!)

Take a favorite book and put it near a spot where you can put your feet up for a few minutes.  If things get chaotic Thanksgiving Da putting yourself in a five minute time out will work wonders, believe me.  There are generally plenty of people willing to watch the timer and if they are the unreliable sorts you can always keep an eye on the clock, but just taking a bit of time away from the melee and the football or parade or whatever, in a quiet room will restore and center you.  It's a good time to make a quick prayer, too, by the way.


So there you are, my few survival tips for the week ahead.  It's going to be all right.  We got this!

9 comments:

joinoz said...

Hi Terri. I hope you are feeling well again. Thank-you for such sensible and practical advice. No Thanksgiving here in Australia but your words of wisdom apply perfectly to any occasion when you have a get together and guest staying. I am a planner and a list maker- I also have a tendency to cover each and every base (at least twice!) and to over think things. After a quick chat to myself I am able to put things in perspective and get what really needs to happen done!
Thanks again for sharing. I love your blog. Cheers

Out My window said...

Chalk full of good advice as usual.. Now how does one get rid of an awful cold? And deal with the Mother, and cook and run a business an..... sorry I just had to complain to someone who wold understand.

Rhonda said...

I know exactly what your talking about.
It will all work out for both of us I’m sure.

terricheney said...

I am feeling much better thank you all. Out My Window, TOTAL sympathy for cold, mother, et al... lol. I'm wondering what I've bitten off just now as the Jamberry party is requiring a LOT of moderating and Bess can only do so much with two boys.

Joinoz I think it is good for all big gatherings, too. It's how I cope!

Rhonda, You are practically a pro at this. I've learned from you!

Debby in Kansas said...

Great advice! With just my husband & me, we're pretty mellow and easy about all the cooking. I'm doing about half tomorrow and the big stuff- turkey, potatoes, & stuffing on Thursday. We want to eat early so we have time to put everything away and hit the dog park before dark. We did that last year and it was so much fun. Lots of people were there post-dinner and it was nice to chat with all the out of towners,watch the kids & dogs run, & get some exercise/fresh air.

Karen in WI said...

I can't remember how many times I needed an extra carton of heavy cream!

It's so nice to sit with my cup of coffee and read your blog early in the morning I'm going to use your tip to take a moment for myself. I'm so looking forward to our oldest son flying in and all the family driving down, but it can be a bit overwhelming. One tip I always try to do is to be sure to have a glass of water nearby and hydrate. I get so busy hostessing, cooking and talking that I forget to drink!

Have a lovely Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I have heard that people that have a separate dining room actually set the table minus centerpiece ahead of time and put a table cloth or sheet over it in case of dust. Take it off and add the centerpiece. Also of course figure out what bowls and serving utensils are needed for the meal. And set them aside. Seems people are always asking for more silverware or where is the spoon for the mashed potatoes!! I have been ready to serve veggies only to discover the bowl I thought I was going to use was in the dishwasher. Whoops! On to plan B.... .and quick!!
Boy do I too understand the 5 minute get away. It is amazing how just taking yourself away from the group and noise for even a few minutes makes you calm and relaxed again. :-) I have read many a list of how to get the meal on the table but you have added getting the hottest through the whole day.... Thank you!!
Since our weather is often very nice on Thanksgiving we have many times eaten on the patio..but wind or ? can come up at the last minute and we have to eat inside. Inside is too small for us all!! If we do eat outside I put children's card table round the yard and turn big crocks and such over and put them by lawn chairs. Put out a clean trash can for use too. I try to add some fun whimsical things outside for any little ones to discover to keep them occupied. They really enjoy having the little tables and chairs for them and I even put table clothes or oil cloth on them..taped to the underside of the table or attached somehow for ease.
This year we had some excitement. Our refrigerator stopped working so we had to shop for a new one yesterday and hope it can be delivered in time and cool enough so we can keep some leftovers in. Thankfully this year we were not hosting!! ;) Sarah

terricheney said...

Debbie in KS what a nice evening to look forward to, and how very relaxing!

Sarah, good tips from you and so sorry to hear about the fridge. I teasingly told John back in September had we had a couple of turkeys in the freezer I'd have put them in the fridge and likely had it stay perfectly cold for the four days the power was out!

Our dining table, even fully extended is not a large table so food is served from the stove in the kitchen with each person helping themselves buffet style, so no pre-setting table nor worrying about serving dishes.

Karen, what a good reminder about the water! I too sometimes get so busy I forget to drink water and that hydration is KEY to thinking straight.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri...wow...very helpful advice! We celebrated Thanksgiving a day early to accommodate the kids (some whose spouses have other obligations today). It would have been very relaxed (as I prepared nearly everything ahead of time...down to the crudités) except for this fact: Yesterday morning, as we were packing all the food to take down to my dad's house, he called to say that he woke up to discover that his 35 year old refrigerator had "assumed room temperature". After a quick (and quite fervent) prayer was said, Mike and I finished packing up the car and drove straight to an appliance store in his neighborhood. Of course, during the 1-1/2 hour drive I did some quick research and made some phone calls to various stores in his area. We found an amazing bargain floor model at more than half off its original retail value (available to take home that day...which is a miracle in itself) only to find out their delivery guys were all booked and couldn't deliver until Saturday. After making a quick call to a great/long time family friend who lives in my dad's area. She sent her son (football player /amazing person...just like the rest of his family) to the store right then and there with his truck to pick it up and bring it over to my dad's house! We paid for the frig then rushed to my dad's to help empty and move out the old refrigerator. Just as I was finishing a much needed cleaning behind the old one, our friend arrived with the new one. All the guys wrestled it inside with minimal effort and the fit was perfect! Truly an amazing answer to a mundane prayer. Just had to share this story in Gratitude! It was perfect timing as Mike and I had just recently been discussing if it was right to pray for mundane or trivial things. It was my belief that the good Lord wants us to come to Him in prayer for ALL things. My logic is that not only does He care for us in large or small ways...but the more we pray the stronger our connection and faith to/in Him...thus it's long been my habit to pray about pretty much everything! Haha. Mike was concerned that perhaps it was selfish to do so. In hindsight we are realizing that yesterday's experience was an answer to that question.☺️��☺️
Wishing all a wonderful day!
Love,
Tracey
Xox

P.S. Thank you so much for taking the time to share all these valuable survival tips! And it's always nice to have "permission" so to speak to take quiet times for ourselves. Much appreciated!