In My Home This Week: Roaring Winds

In my home this week, I...

...am continuing onwards, as we all must.   It's been a decent week overall.  One day very hard, others just merely hard and then one that was frankly, quite good.  It was a sign I think that we are all settling down together rather well.

Time is at a premium.  I slip off to my room for an hour here and there and get all done I might online and that is it for the day.  Come evening, all adults sit about looking stunned and creep off to bed far too early for adults but then dawn comes far too early too and the children are up at the very crack of first light.



Bess and I went off grocery shopping on Thursday (yesterday) and that was our best day yet with the boys.  They were suitably happy to be out of house, well behaved and well tired at end of day.  The fridge overflows and so do the cabinets and the freezers are full.  Bess and I shook our heads...In two weeks we know it will look as though nothing is to be had.  Such is feeding a family, lol.


....worked:
Cleaned the doors to my room and bathroom.  This was one of those jobs I nearly relegated to my 'When I can get to it...' list.  I decided to do what I could in five minutes.  In five minutes, I got the bathroom door done and decided to tackle the bathroom door on my way out of the room.  Done and done.  No need to add to my list.

Kept the boys so the parents could work on the house.  This is important and one task I don't mind since I know it means they can be in their own home sooner.  It also means that often work on my own home besides the everlastings of laundry, dishes and meals, was mostly undone.

Managed to listen to inspirational and instructive speakers on my drive to and from the grocery. I claimed that window of opportunity in my own car as alone time.  Besides we needed the extra room to haul all those groceries we bought.

...made meals:

Glazed Corned beef, Potatoes, Carrots, Coleslaw, Irish Soda Bread, Lemon Lime Jello with Whipped Cream

Pizza the kids brought in for lunch.  I'll make a light meal for supper.

Fish Sticks, Mac and Cheese, Salad

Hamburgers, Corn on the Cob, Lemon Cheesecake

Chicken Rice Soup, Salads, Strawberry Cobbler

Fried fish fillets, steamed Broccoli, Baked Potatoes.  Yes, that was our second fish meal.  I'm enjoying the extra fish dinners and so are they family.  We save these for nights when John isn't home.

Crock pot Lasagna, Salad, Garlic Bread, Easy Tiramisu

...saved money:


We went into Kroger following church to take advantage of the 88c a pound turkey breasts.  All gone.  No rain checks.  Picked up my free items, John's favorite chicken Vienna sausages and nothing more.

Bess and I sat down on Monday and planned meals.  We started with meals that we knew we had all on hand to make and then planned meals we'd need to buy things for.

We made out grocery lists based on menus and needs and outages.

Washed clothes, hung most to dry.

Ran only full oads of dishes.

There's a bag of trash every day just now.  If I bag it up, Sam will take with him on his way out to work.

Shopped at Aldi.  We saved loads and I mean that sincerely.  Both Bess and I filled our buggies, we had extra stuff for pantry and we filled the fridge and freezers full.  We couldn't have bought a thing more.   I ran into Publix and picked up half and half for my coffee, a small white wine for a recipe and breads.  I didn't spend over much in that store at all, under $20.

The kids paid rent for two weeks.  I set that money aside.  I'm determined to pay off a small loan we took out to cover a couple of necessities.


...had my leisure:

An hour here and an hour there.  I read.  I did my nails.  I drove to the grocery alone.  It's what I can manage just now.

3 comments:

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

You continue to amaze!
XoX

Lana said...

Yup. When the grandkids come I tell myself that no mess that is made cannot be undone later.

Anonymous said...

How do two families split the grocery bill? It sounds like a routine has finally been established. Well done!