Quick Morning Coffee: The Life That Got Away



Hurry right in.  It's cold this morning and the orchids are too near the back door.  John is often prone to stand at the door, leaving it open.  Last time he did, the buds fell off the orchids and now that I've one blooming and one nearly there I'm anxious to rush everyone in and out so they don't drop off once again.   It's my only bit of floral splendor at the moment aside from the Iris in the yard.

The boys are up an starting to make their usual early morning roar.  I've been sitting here for over an hour, not reading my Bible, not praying but trolling about on the internet leisurely and then it occurred to me Id meant to sit and chat and here I'd wasted the only hour I'm likely to have alone.  So come in, have coffee, I'll make you toast with butter and honey and let us have a quick chat.



Oh dear... I hear the washer starting and I haven't had my shower yet.  Perhaps I ought to run do that.  These are the sorts of decisions made each day.  Start one thing, switch to another as I realize window of opportunity is narrowed to a mere slit, sigh.  Every single thing I do is a choice.  With limited time, I can do this or I can do that but I can't do it all, nor can I manage anything close to resembling some. I feel at times as though all I do is sit about twiddling my thumbs, albeit because I'm watching the baby in the antique high chair which he frequently tries to stand up in, or because I'm holding a sleeping infant or entertaining a three year old who has lost TV privileges.  Again, I am well aware now of why being a mother of young children is for young women.  Gramma is tired.

I am not complaining.  All too soon (hopefully, lol) the family will be moved into their own home and Gramma will have time of her own once more albeit with a liberal dose of family time mixed in.  But just now...tired.

My title subject today is related to some thinking I did this morning as John chatted away.  First a bit of background.  I barely function first off in mornings, at least as far as coherent speech goes. I can go into autopilot with simple tasks but I prefer to go into a morning slowly.  John, on the other hand, does not even require coffee to begin a full on stream of chatter.  So on these work mornings, I get up, pack his ready prepared lunch foods into a lunch bag which already contains fork, spoon, non-perishables items, and make the ready measured and set on stove to wait breakfast oatmeal.  The milk and egg is ready in fridge.  The coffeemaker is on auto brew.  The only thing that isn't automatic is my response system.  So John chatters, I make breakfast.  We eat accompanied to his steady stream of chatter.  I blearily try to finish my coffee, he chatters.  Then he is gone and heaven help me, I sigh deeply, grateful that the rushing water of talk is done temporarily.   This is typical even when there are no others in house on a work day morning.

This morning's chatter stream was of a book John is currently reading and of life plans.  He sighed deeply as he shared his life dream which has very little to do with his actual life.   I contemplated these facts, which is frequently brought up in conversation and contemplated my own life dreams and thought "Well here I am.  I dreamed of just this: a loving husband, a family, to one day be with my grandchildren, to write."  My dreams are my life and while they have taken on twists I never dreamt of  because who ever dreams of problems and complications when laying out life dreams?

I never dreamed my mother would so totally disregard her grandchildren as they grew up though I never thought she'd be a second Granny, either.  Mama is far more content to take fleeting moments and then continue on uninterrupted in her own life.  I never dreamed I'd spend 33 years parenting. I never dreamed my grandchildren would almost entirely be hours and miles away.  I never dreamed my interactive time with first grand daughters Josie and Lily would be compressed into four short years  of Josie's life and less than one of Lily's.  I never dreamed Amie's next two would be utterly unknown to me except via the occasional photo or convoluted phone conversation.  I never planned that Jd's children would be 6 hours away at their closest time to me, nor that his marriage would end in divorce and the children removed further away.  I never dreamed Katie would marry and move hours away from home.  I never dreamed that Sam would spend a fourth portion of his life living in my home.  For all John's plans that we'd buy a house suited to our middle years, we have more often longed for more room.  But yes, all in all, my dreams have come true to a greater extent than any of John's dream did.

There's only one portion of my dreams that have yet to be realized: I've never had the gardens of my dream.  A few pots here and there, a flower bed now and then that is rapidly disintegrated into nothingness because of changes to house is the most I've accomplished.  Yet that is almost easily (not labor wise mind you) remedied by concentrated effort if I ever have time to devote to it now that the house is more or less settled, save the underpinning we long to replace.

So I wondered at my husband.  I looked back down over the 27 going on 28 years I've known him and the few years I knew of him and his life before that and I saw the dearth of his dreams, the heap of ashes he continually tries to blow into flame and at best generates enough heat to once again generate another small flame that quickly dies out.  Why should it be so?  Was God's plans for him so vastly different?  Was there something in him lacking that just wasn't really devoted to his dream if it meant discomfort?   Was his sense of duty far stronger than any hope of breathing life into that dream?  I know him to be talented and powerful in his ability but no, I've seen myself the number of times and ways the door closes firmly upon any glimmer of the faintest light of hope.  Why?

And what happened to me?  Did I truly achieve my dreams or did I merely finally decide to happily settle for what I had acquired of them?  I think many dream of fame and fortune, pursuing a life that they love but fame nor fortune comes to everyone.  Suppose I did settle for simply taking what I could get, albeit by dint of hardwork and pursuit through unconventional means?  I have been published online and off.  I have earned wages through my words but never enough to survive upon.  I have accepted that my children will travel to places I'll never see or visit myself, and forgotten almost entirely my own desire to travel the world.  I have taken my mobile home and done my best to wrest it into the charm of an older home, but it's a double wide just the same.  One day perhaps I'll manage to surround it with gardens of the sort I've longed to have but not without a lot of work and determination and frankly fighting my husband every step of the way because he thinks they are unnecessary and too much work for me (he refuses to lend a hand at all) and a botherance overall.

Did the life I dreamed of long ago get away?  Or did I find, after struggling mightily, that there were sweet things to be had in bitter places if one was willing to sweat a bit.  Salt cuts bitterness and enhances sweet and there is nothing more naturally salty than sweat and tears is there?

And now my battery on my computer is  dying...my time is run down figuratively and literally at the moment.   Thank you for joining me, however brief our time.  We'll get together again soon, I hope.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Benjamin Disraeli said "Youth is a blunder; Manhood a struggle, Old Age a regret."

We all struggle with our life and with the what might have been. We can only move forward in faith.

Now I have to sign off as I am crying too hard to see the letters.

Best Wishes from Best Bun.

Anne said...

Wonderful post today, wonderful post. My dream, above everything, was to have close family ties, and yet we have three sons who NEVER call. One we have not spoken to in 7 years because we don't even have his phone number. It has been heart breaking. But we have to move on with out lives.

The only other thing I would like to add is don't give up on those gardens. It might not be John's dream, but it IS yours. Perhaps you could hire some help on a casual, once a month basis or so. And it occurs to me that you might direct your Jamberry profits to the pursuit of that dream.

Out My window said...

oh sweetie you are singing my song. We all have dreams and as we grow older we realize we will never fulfill them. But do what you can, that is what I have had to do. Maybe your husband suffers from some depression, or is just really over tired. I pray you will find some closure on this. When I read your posts I think you have a wonderful life.

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Beautifully said my friend. You are singing a common tune. Two evenings ago I told Mike that I have been blessed with every thing I've ever truly wanted. Of course, I've modified many of my lesser wants but when I did a soul search I happily found that, like you, my core life-dreams have been beautifullly fulfilled. The number one being to find a good man who loved me as much as I loved him and to have children and a happy life. The first two were not of my doing...but gifts from the good Lord. The last came only after I realized that each of us is as happy as we choose to be. (To paraphrase Lincoln). Happily, I did learn that lesson fairly early in adulthood haha. Now, regarding John, I'm wondering if he is like Mike and has a bit of the wanderlust. Because our family traveled so much during my childhood, due to my Dad's career, I don't care about traveling and am a notorious homebody. Mike, on the other hand enjoys a bit of local exploring. I'm not averse to that and we enjoy some small adventures here and there. That said,I would love to have more of a garden but whenever I propose such a thing Mike's logic is that it would tie us down if we want to travel more once he retires. Perhaps this is behind John's reluctance to participate in a garden? Just a conjecture of course, speaking from my own experiences Haha! Such a lovely post, as always, you provoke my own thoughts and I appreciate it. You are doing such an amazing job with your family.
Love,
Tracey
XoX

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

P.S. Sorry, now this is embarrassing haha, I'm thinking I may have, at first pass, misread the part about you having the travel bug and not John! I got it all backwards somehow. Please disregard my crazy theory! XoX

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

This was a wonderful post today. I have pondered similar questions, too.

My son is overseas. He couldn't tell us where. So every time there is some new flareup, in some different part of the world, I pray he is not there, nor there, nor there. I never thought one of our kids would be so far away, even though they came from far away (South Korea).

I'm extremely nervous about upcoming total knee replacement surgery that hopefully will take place this spring, if all of my pre surgery medical tests turn out to be up to par. My knee has become disabling. I'm thankful to have found the surgeon I recently did.

I was sad and a bit upset about not being able to do anything in the garden this spring after the surgery. I was talking with my husband about how plain our yard was going to look with no flowers out there this spring and summer, since I won't be able to plant the zinnia seeds (even now, before the surgery), or anything else. He said he was planning on planting the zinnia seeds, and would do any other planting, too. All I had to do was tell him what needed to be done and how to do it. Then I almost cried from happiness, but these past couple of weeks it seems like I am always ready to cry happy or sad about something.

It is eye opening caring for little ones as a woman of grandma age. It does make one realize why there is a biological cutoff time for having babies. Our grandson has always been as good as gold and was never one to get into mischief, so I think part of the difficulty is that my husband and I are used to being on our own schedules, so switching things around can be a bit tough, but it's great to be able to be with our grandkids as they grow, isn't it.

Anonymous said...

I guess I am more of a take life as it comes person. Never really have had big dreams even as a kid. My biggest dream as a child, after reading and rereading the book Heidi, was to visit Switzerland but I knew that would never be a possibility. Then my son went to live and work in Switzerland for 3 years and I got to go there. That was my childhood dream other than having the family I have been blessed with, not perfect but mine. Ah, gardening! Hubby mows the grass, the flowers are mine. We have 2 different styles and they do not mesh. He wants to measure and make sure each plant is planted perfectly. I prefer to plop. I tell him that is how God does it and if it is good enough for Him, it is good enough for me. I personally like my way and the gardens look fine. When I had my health scare in September I wasn't sure I would be able to do anything this spring, but now I am ready to go and plan on really enjoying my flowers this year. A whole new appreciation for feeling good. As much as we love our grands we do need our alone time. I loved it when my daughter and her little one lived with us for her first 2 years, but she was unemployed and was looking for work so i never really had to babysit. Her contribution was to do all tbe cooking which was great. They each had their own room so they had their own space otherwise, it might have not worked out as well. I have been truly blessed. Gramma D

Beckyathome said...

I have also had times of deep reflection on my life. Right now, I don't have much time to reflect, I'm too busy living and working! I have very, very few hours each week of discretionary time. One dream of mine is that I would have more hours to do as I choose and pursue my projects. But, since I've been sick for a week, all those thoughts rise up again. I stared around and around, and had to once again figure out how I was going to handle the fact that I had my dream place to live, and now I don't. How am I going to make it better for myself? I have been working on that question for 2 years now. I was able to come up with several more good ideas:). I also have several issues to solve, yet.

That I wanted a very close family, and it turned out to be different than I dreamed in the beginning. We do have closeness with many family members and absolutely nothing with others. I appreciate those I have, but I miss those that have chosen not to participate. I'm still working on that one.

In the end, after much reflection, I came up with the conclusion that life is what I make of it. I can choose to be happy, I can choose to not be happy. I will still dream dreams, and will try to make those come true, but some will never, ever happen. I will get new dreams as I grow and change with life. I will also have more disappointments. I just pray that I will be able to handle both with dignity and grace.

Angela said...

Wow! It is really good to know I am not alone after reading your post and the comments. I had a dream the other night that I was still working and could not get anything done no matter how hard I tried. (Hate those dreams!) Anyway I woke up thinking whether or not my life has been successful. Surely in some ways- very, but in other things I planned and how I thought it would be- most definitely not. It is something to come to terms with - the choices you make when life dishes out the unexpected. May we all find peace.

terricheney said...

Oh my dears....I seem to have touched a raw nerve with many of you. I struggled with unhappiness these last years for sure but had determined I'd make the best of the life I have rather than fret over the one I might have had, as you all have done. Indeed we must take bitter with the sweet, mustn't we? On the other hand my husband is not at that place yet. He's seeing the dwindling time of life is not going to ever allow for his dream and he's struggling mightily with it. I've prayed for peace for him, for all of us and acceptance. Here is where that old prayer must come and be sincerely meant. "Lord help me to change those things I can, accept those things I cannot and have the wisdom to know the difference."

Now I am off to attend to children...sigh.

Lana said...

Our travel dreams crashed with my husband's brain injury. Retirement funds will not be what we thought because of stopping work at 59. All our kids are far away and all of our extended family. We never thought that would hsppen.