In My Home This Week: Discovery Time

In my home this week, I...



...  Realized this week two very important things.  I have always said I'd like to be like Granny and I guess when it comes down to it I am.  I long to know and understand my grandchildren but I'm not really willing to lay down my whole identity for them...And that's pretty much like Granny.  She enjoyed us, took us when she felt up to it, put up with us for a time and then sent us home.  She taught us, loved us, knew us and our interests and fed them, disciplined us and let us roam free but she didn't fawn over us and she didn't spend all her time with us.  She had a life of her own.  And I guess I am more like her after all than I'd thought I might be.  That's a nice discovery.



The other discovery has to do with me and no one but me.  I was thinking of how I'd like to do this and do that and create this or that and realized that in 14 years (no clue why 14 stood out to me) I'd be 73...And if I don't get busy NOW I'll not accomplish much because I've noted already how fast these years fly by.  And while I don't think 73 is old by any means I do know that it's not exactly spring chicken or even good laying hen age...Just saying.

So after two weeks of doing nothing much, I decided I needed to amp up my time with my business once more and trying to get things done.   And naturally about that time, the usual brown stuff hit the fan and did it's best to distract me from my purpose.  Humph!  Get life acting all bossy like that.

This week was challenging but I met the challenge.  I mightn't have had much time for online but I had enough time to review a few notes here and there and get a better idea of what my next step is with my business.  I had time to think long and hard about what I really value and to gain a little perspective on time overall.   And I'm letting go of some things that simply don't make sense to hang on to any longer.  Oh the discoveries I have made!

Not all adventures require travel.  Sometimes we just need to inquire within.

On the home front, I got along quite well with the two boys on my own when Bess had to go out of town unexpectedly.  That said, Josh and I had a difference of opinion this morning over a coffee cup I was using.  It happens to be one of my two most favorite cups but Bess has used them both daily with absolutely no chance for me to get my hands on either one.  "That's my Mama's cup!"  "No, dear, just the cup she's been using."  "NO! It's Mama's!"  "I assure you Josh it's mine.  Mama's cups are all packed up at the other house.  This one Grandpa bought me for Christmas this year.  Mama has just been using it."  It was an uneasy truce at breakfast with Josh glaring at me occasionally over using that cup...And it made it awfully hard for me to savor the niceness of having my own favorite cup for a change.

Then this afternoon, as he sat in the kitchen rocking and chattering he said something that set me back.  "I really like our new house....It used to be yours!"  I told John I think that young man has picked up on something we adults had yet to figure out.  This house is not really mine and John's any longer, whether I like it or not.  I'm still debating how I feel about that...


worked:

You know the routine as well as I: laundry, dishes, meals, pick up toys, repeat ad infinitum.

One morning when Bess and boys were out all morning long, I did an intensive clearing up.  Baths, floors, music room cum boy's bedroom, etc.  I was hot and sweaty and breathless with it all and I'm afraid I worked John rather hard, as well, but it felt good to have house almost back up to my standard.  There's a great deal wants doing in many areas, but I have learned the art of doing what can be done in the time one has.  Not overly pleased to discover it was a shambles two days later...

Grocery shopping out on my own and what a job it was.  All that heavy lifting and moving about, etc. on my own but it got done and we are well stocked once more.

Kept the boys for a bit over 36 hours.  Not quite on my own.  Sam was home for the evening part of the day but on my own for 24 hours or so.  Peace and something like almost order reigned which I appreciated and the two boys seemed to thrive upon.


saved:
Picked up some cheese on sale at Kroger for 99c an 8 ounce bar.  I bought the limit of 5.  We seem to go through a load of cheese here and 2 1/2 pounds might last us about a week.

Bess and I were discussing the higher cost of eggs this week.  $2.29 a dozen at Aldi.  We decided that the sales on milk and cheeses balanced the higher cost of eggs.  Milk was $1.49/gallon and cream cheese just $.70/8 ounce package.  Not to mention that good cheese sale mentioned at Kroger.  So yes eggs are higher.  Dairy is down.  I'll take balance over everything going higher!

I did a BIG grocery shop this week.  I've done lots of little trips and I spent just as much this week as I have on all those little shops.  I worked HARD to get the best buys and to trim costs where I might. Some items that were stated as wants remained wants. I just can't see me paying $5 per person for a meat entrée for a meal even though it was delicious when we prepared it  a couple of weeks ago using meat I'd bought and frozen.  Instead of the pricey entrée, I spent the same amount of money and got a Rump Roast and a Turkey Breast.  Both of those will carry us through several meals which better suits my budget.

Cooked a whole roasted chicken for dinner one night.  There was nearly half the bird left despite feeding all six of us.  I will be making Spaghetti Diable which is a good thrifty meal. I ought to have a bit extra meat left for another thrifty meal.  The carcass went into the freezer

I get the need to be Johnny on the Spot when it comes to screeching toddlers and meal times.  Boy do I get it!  I can see why moms rely on those individual cups of fruit and frozen waffles.  I also decided that Gramma can help just a bit by making up her own individual servings of gelatins for the children.  I'll use those little 3 ounce cups to pour the gelatin into and a bit of cling film on top to cover.  Finding fridge space is less easy but when I have room I'll stand them up in a muffin tin while they gel.

I also took time this weekend when making waffles for breakfast to cook up an extra batch.  There are now frozen prepared waffles in the freezer.  Have toaster and a ready breakfast appears.

Using a pound of ground beef and about as much refried beans, Bess made enchiladas for our supper.  We had plenty of leftovers for another meal.

Made sandwiches for John and I from the leftover bit of BBQ beef I'd tucked away on Saturday evening.

When I came in from the grocery on Monday, I sorted out the kitchen cupboard, the fridge and the freezer.  I told Bess exactly how much chicken and ground beef we might fit in the space left and asked her to buy no more than that.  When she came in the meats just fit the space I'd set aside for them.

John's work pants are pricey and while the county he works for does pay for them we like to get good use from them.  The snap on his pants broke, something we've never had happen before.  After looking it over, I offered to make a buttonhole and sew on a button.  Not what John wanted.  He insisted we go look for heavy duty snaps so we went to the fabric stores to look.  Luckily there were two stores side by side and we found the snaps in the second store.  I used a tamping tool to set the snap.  Pants are as good as new.


made meals:
BBQ Beef Shortribs, Cheesy Mashed Potatoes, Spring Salad Bowl

Bologna Sandwiches, Potato Chips, Choice of Fruit, Cookies

Beef and Bean Enchiladas, Salad

Roast Chicken, Asparagus, Rice

Crispy Chicken Salads

Leftovers of Beef and Bean Enchiladas, Salad with Tomato and Avocado

had my leisure:

I almost snort these days when I get to this category.  However, I needed some 'off time' and that came in the form of going out to shop for groceries alone this past week.  I treated myself to lunch ($5 Dairy Queen meal) and though I was tired and beyond weary and had a pile of groceries to go home and sort out, I took myself into my favorite women's clothing store (Cato) and looked at the spring stuff.  I came away with three tops, a new pair of pants and a lovely bead necklace.  Not a big spend, but it's something new.  I treated myself with some of my Jamberry money.  I've saved the bulk of it and managed to acquire enough to redo our small bathroom, at least what we estimate it will cost to do it.  Now I've treated myself I'll go right back to saving my funds until I have enough to do our master bath as well.

As leisure goes, it was hard work and no kidding, but necessary.  The luxury was the time alone, a peaceful meal, and a little something shiny and new.

8 comments:

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

It would be a very hard time sharing our house for any length of time, our home is small with only one bathroom. I also don't know where we would store enough food for more people. It seems like since our kids have flown from the nest my and my husbands stuff has expanded to take more space.

I admire how you have held together with all of the busy-ness of taking care of your sweet grandsons and everything you do in your home and business.

Lisa from Indiana said...

Maybe Josh meant his "new" house as the one they are fixing up across the way. Didn't it used to be yours? or a relatives? ...just a thought I had :) I really enjoy reading your blog and look forward to it every week.

Anonymous said...

My chuckle for the day, you using mamas cup. Who would think he would even notice. A funny memory to store away. Gramma D

Carolyn @ Our Gilded Abode said...

Would love to hear about all your remodel/update plans for your bathrooms!

Bobbiehen said...

73 tends to feel a whole lot different from 59. A whole lot.

Lana said...

$2.29 for eggs. Yikes. We paid .76 at WalMart this week but they are in a price war with Aldi and Lidl for customers. Milk is $1.06 at all three. It does all balance out but we are really getting spoiled here. The grocery bill is way down to $200 a month.

Kathy said...

So glad you can keep your sense of humor through all of this. It must be exhausting, but the closeness with those grandkids is priceless. Can you see the light at the end of the tunnel? Hope their home will be finished soon for all your sakes. If I am ever blessed with grandchildren, I hope that I am like your and your Granny.
Glad you were able to have some alone time and do a little shopping for yourself.
I'm afraid that the low prices on dairy mean that there is a glut and many small dairy farmers will soon be out of business. Then they will raise prices.

Margie from Toronto said...

It must be difficult with a house full of little ones like that - especially when you are so used o it being you and John. Hang in there - I'm sure t is appreciated. But at the same time I think that you are wise to realize that you need your own life as well as being Granma!
As for eggs - I bought a half dozen of free range organic eggs yesterday and paid $5 - a dozen regular eggs would cost me the same.