Coffee Chat: Fresh Paint



Hello loves.


Do come in and have a hot cup of coffee.  There are butter cookies and dark chili chocolate to go with our cups of warm brew.  I've got the windows open on the sunny side because it got a bit stuffy indoors yesterday but if you get a bit cool, I've put out afghans to warm knees or shoulders.



I am tired this afternoon as well I might be.  I do enjoy working, but I enjoy most of all the settling down to be comfortable when work has been done.

The housework was finished when I went out to the shed this morning at half past nine.  It was not in my plans to work on the shed today but it was so cool and sunny, and I don't mind a bit working outdoors if it's pleasant.  I'd thought to finish the washing of railings and rafters but it was too cool to be playing with cold water.  So I went to the shed.   I set aside about a half car trunk of items to donate and cleared off one shelf.  I have a bag of trash from the garden corner as well.  The shed is a fright, truly it is, with stuff here and there and everywhere and plenty of dirt on the floors.  Still it was rather nice to go out and get that task started at least.  My goal is to completely empty one of the shelving units so we can remove an old rickety wooden entertainment center sort of thing that is far too deep to be suitable for storage that sits far in the back, as well as a dishwasher we were given five years ago that I fear will be worst for wear at this point.

Before going outdoors this morning I took my lists of  projects and purchases I meant to make and removed three items from each.  I've bought the three items needed and we've completed three of the projects.  It was pleasant to see that without paying much attention I'd already begun knocking items off those two lists.  I find often enough if I've made out a list my mind is just naturally focused on the items upon the list and they get done.  I just need to revisit it now and then and mark off the things done.  It's very satisfying to mark things off a list.

I think it was that which inspired me to walk around outside my shed and feel to see if the wood was dry.  It was, so I grabbed the paint bucket and roller and I went to work.  Now both sheds have been painted.  There's some cutting in of the grey paint to be done on my shed and the white trim to be done on both.  If weather allows this week, the cutting in and trim should all be done.   

I've decided when I'm all through I shall do something to decorate my shed door.  It isn't a 'she' shed but it is mine and I would like to make it pretty.   I've tentatively started planning a tiny garden about the shed.  I have a glimmering of an idea of what I might do to dress it up a little with flowering plants about it.

I shared earlier this week that  John and I took a short vacation.  We've been going on vacation once a year, mostly to the beach,  for 17 years now.  We couldn't afford to do this when all the children were home, but we've managed to go most years since Katie turned about 9, I think.  

Our  very first vacation as a family was a week in Panama City Beach in a two room "suite" at a hotel that was quite old and musty and a grand two stories high.  Of course there was a kitchenette and I cooked three meals a day for a family of six  It was the year JD graduated high school  We decided to vacation on $500  and I laugh now to think of it but we did it!  

During that vacation, John insisted that we'd eat out at a nice restaurant and chose one that was very nice.  Ridiculously nice, when you consider the contrast with where we were staying, lol.   I was stunned looking at the prices on the menu.  John looked at the five of us and said "Order whatever you want."  My children, who'd grown more than accustomed to eating bean burgers and super starchy stretched out casseroles, all ordered lobster and steak dinners.   We might have been poor but those kids knew what quality food was on a menu when they saw it. 

I was aghast when John's prime rib came to the table.  It was the size of a  roast and would have served four meals for us six with my most minor stretching methods.   The children's plates glistened they were so clean when they finished eating and then they asked for dessert.  John told them to go ahead and order, which they did.  Swimming makes appetites all out of proportion and they'd been swimming every hour they could.
   
John didn't finish his prime rib, leaving a good three quarters of it on his plate.  I whispered we should get a doggy bag  and he motioned to the waiter and told him we'd be right back, but to please bring the ticket, then he took my arm and we stepped to the front of the restaurant just out of sight of the children.   

I watched as the kids finished eating their desserts and saw one of the boys reach over and pick up the bill.  All three of the teens put their heads together to look at the total and their eyes widened as it was laid back on the table to await John's return.  Katie was just four and didn't care what things cost.  Our meal that night was as much money as we often had for a full month of groceries if we were lucky.   John had been squirreling away cash to cover the costs of this fabulous meal and it was and is memorable even yet.   We've never again had such a lavishly priced family meal though we've had nice ones.  

And no, we didn't bring home leftovers.   That was why we'd slipped to the front lobby.   John gently but nicely reminded me that while it's good to be frugal, one must also acknowledge that there are times when frugality is the means to an end.  A sort of kiss on the forehead for all that frugality can net you, if you see what I mean and a letting go of the fear that there won't be enough in future, which was, frankly, a lesson I needed in those lean days.  

I've been thinking about that fact a lot of late.  I'd rather gotten in a tither over the idea of having less money to operate our home and fretting over how we'd manage it with rising costs here and there.   Just before we left I had several things of an immediate nature pop up that had the potential to make us struggle but  I refused to even think of the worrisome things while we were on vacation which is why I never did sit down to write out a plan for the year ahead.  Each time my mind would take up a worry, I'd stop myself and say "God will take care of this."  "God will take care of that."   Now I can't say that all things have been attended to just yet, but don't you know that three or four things have already been dealt with and all have worked out just fine!  I expect the rest will work out as well and as time comes nearer for retirement days we will discover just what and where to cut back.

We were discussing things on the way home Sunday morning.  I swear to you that I was fully able to lay every worry aside but Sunday morning the very moment I woke all those worries took up a roosting spot in my brain and cackled away.   I told John about how quickly they had come in, as though they were well aware we were no longer on vacation and therefore could have a free for all inside my head.

We went grocery shopping yesterday and on our way home, John asked, "Did we stick to budget?"  Well my goodness, why don't men ever ask about the budget when you're not flat out of things and have been mentally marking less necessary items off the list because you know you're over budget?  I've been doing very well budget-wise of late and not once has he asked if I was on budget...Well as it happens we weren't on budget!  Truth is I was wondering if I couldn't go through the fridge and freezer and plan an extra week of meals to soften the blow we'd just made to the budget, lol.

I answered him truthfully that we'd not been frivolous but we were a bit higher than usual and I was already planning how to offset it.   And again I recalled our conversation on Sunday of how we'd had more than enough.  I'd sacrificed some of our vacation money for a need and told John we'd just trim things down a bit.  When we arrived to check in we were given a discount that saved us a full night's stay.  That was more than enough to cover our grocery purchases.

So on Tuesday when we were discussing the grocery budget  I turned to him in the car and said, "John, you do realize we've managed to feed three households off our pantry and freezer and grocery budget this year?  Do you realize that?  And yet I daresay that only once were we really over budget!  My goodness, how have we done it?!"

So yes, I shall trust God with it all.  He seems to be far more aware of what we can do than we are!

I hate to admit that I had anything but pure pleasure on this trip.  It was easy and relaxed and not one anxiety attack at any point while we were gone.  I did however lose two or three hours to a spate of tears.  It started with  a bit of an upset which started over something silly.  It was a misunderstanding, one of those male/female communication errors which we all know can be a bit like speaking two languages at times with no common words or gestures to guide the way and one of us deaf, though I shan't say who.  I talked it over with John and was all prepared to let it go.  And then I sat down to read my book, A City of Bells by Elizabeth Goudge.

I related in my last Iced Tea Chat that I'd dreamed it was time to stop mulling over the past, that there was nothing of value left to sift through.  Well in reading the book I stumbled on a passage in which Jocelyn had set up his drawing room with all his school pennants, regimental photos, etc.  When Felicity protests that it doesn't suit the house, he makes the statement that it all reminded him of a bit of his past that he liked.  "One can relax in one's past.  One hasn't got to do anything about it any more..."

I sat there stunned a bit, because there's truth and grief in that sentence for me.  When I mull over past things, it's generally to do with my parents or brothers.  There's a load of hurt in my past that I don't and won't share but it's there and it has colored my life a shade or two darker than I'd like it.  I long ago reconciled myself that I'd never have the sort of family relationships with my parents and my surviving brother that I'd like to have.  The bits of my past that I like mostly center around John and the children, or about Granny.  I expect I like genealogy so well because there's no hurt or doubt in long dead relatives as there is so often in my living relations.

That realization that I seldom feel comfortable in my own past, that there was indeed nothing to be done about, coupled with that silly upset and a grief over a situation in my present  that I really hadn't wanted to face but knew I must,  was my undoing.  Tears began to roll down my cheeks.  I was determined not to upset John who was engrossed in tv so I quietly got up  and went out to sit on the balcony in a hidden corner and cried and cried and cried, silently, but sobbing to the point of not being able to catch my breath.

It seemed to me that my life from that moment back to the very beginning was nothing but an endless loss of some sort, a giving up of what I wanted because I was told I couldn't have it or didn't deserve it or because someone else didn't like it, or  uncontrolled  situations that weren't mine to wrest control over, or due to financial obligations, etc.  I can't really explain it all without sharing it all and it's too much to share but it was a massive letting go of a great amount of grief altogether.

Unfortunately John did catch me crying and no, really he didn't understand it all, but he did understand the part where he was responsible for the minor grievance the day before and that led to a greater further misunderstanding and I was just overwrought enough to not be able to sensibly sort it out but only cried harder still.  Later, I went to him and asked him to snuggle with me and let me talk it out more sanely and it was settled between us, fully and wholly.

So I laid down my past and grieved over the loss of it and at the same time understood more about myself than I had before.

At age 59, I am increasingly aware that time is fleeting.  Long lived though my family may be, there is no knowing what day or hour death will come for any of us.  And while I am not morbidly aware of my life span, I am aware that there's likely not as far to go as I've come thus far.  If I shouldn't be wasting time digging about in the hurtful, hateful things of the past trying to 'fix' them up for today, then I also haven't time to waste not setting proper boundaries in my present.

This is a bit harder to explain but it has to do with my  tendency to give and give and give to others.  That sounds mighty vain doesn't it?   Well, it isn't vanity, I promise you. I am not at all Mother Teresa-ish, but I do have a tendency to focus more upon what you might like than what I'd like.  It's the way I am wired because of my early life.  My role as peacekeeper, as one who serves and of whom a great deal is expected for little reward and who has little concern for my personal desires has to some extent allowed others to be a bit lazy in their own selfishness.  I don't think it's a natural role on my part.   

Oh dear this is a sticky patch of explaining but try and hang in there with me.  

I'll borrow a title from last week's post... I often alter the pattern to fit another even though the item being made is meant to fit me.  This is all well and good but I do believe everything in this world is meant to be in balance and I am not.  I have allowed others to cultivate selfishness when they would have been better people for being more giving.  Because I am so unbalanced I've thrown others off balance.   Good people who are kind and caring and loving but who have acquired a certain laziness about stretching themselves to give up their own likes now and then for what I might like...  Is that clear as mud now?

Well I'm not blaming others.  I'm blaming myself.  I'm saying that I really need to be more aware of what I need, to work harder at giving voice to what I want and expect, instead of assuming that I must meet all of the needs of another all of the time without any consideration at all to how I am bankrupting my own mental, emotional and physical health.  I am saying that I've been wrong to allow others to knowingly forgo simple courtesies.  I am saying that I often have expectations that others are completely unaware of, not as reward or payment but simply because I, myself, am so willing to give sway to another's wants and I am frequently and routinely disappointed to discover that indeed they have no idea or no intent of meeting my needs however small they may be.

And I think it very telling that we'd not been home 24 hours before I had my first twinges of anxiety...

Let's just say that I came away from  this vacation without making any plans but very aware of things I mean to do to make my life happier for me.  

For 59 years I've lived in homes where I've not been welcome to paint the walls.  Seriously.  John simply doesn't want to paint, but I do.  In previous homes, painting wasn't even an option except builder's beige.  But this house is my house and I've done my best to make it a reflection of who we are as a couple and of our tastes as a couple...but not on the wall colors.  When we talked of putting in flooring we'd agreed that I would paint the walls.  John changed his mind.  "The walls look just fine..." he said and that was that.  And here I am living with walls with a dated pattern that was out of style when we bought the place.  I don't want garish colors on my walls.  I daresay I might even go white in the living area, but I have wanted a blue bedroom my whole life long.  I mean to have the walls painted before the next year is finished.  In every room, but the music room and that I will leave to John to paint or not as he wishes.

I am going to get focused once more on having flowers and pretty landscaping in my yard.  Flowers make my heart sing.  They do truly.  I love flowers and I love having them in my home and yard.  When we first moved here and I had a teen aged boy about the house, I had muscle behind me, lol.  Sam was all too willing to dig up flower beds and we had some lovely beds near the patio and in one or two other areas.  Once he left home,   I have sort of half heartedly played about working around a portion of the house but it's not even half done.  I know it will be a great deal of work.  I know that I will have to do it all on my own, because when I even mention it to John he always says the same, "I like it the way it is."  And so it's been for 23 years.  I won't spend the next 23 wishing I had a pretty yard.  If I want it, I'll have to create it.  I'm good with that.

I'm going to make it a point, when asked where I'd like to go to eat, to say where I'd like to go to eat.  And if the person asking says, "Nah...I don't want that..."  I won't give in every single time.  I'll actually insist I go where I want to go now and then.    I'm going to do things I haven't done because another didn't care to do them.  I'm going to return to other things I enjoyed that I let slide, because I got lazy, not because anyone disliked me doing them.  There's music I love to listen to but don't, books I haven't read in a long while, piano to play and little kindnesses I could do for myself, but haven't  because I haven't even been very nice to myself these past few years.  It's not about me becoming selfish but about remembering what I need to tend to myself.

Does that make sense?

So here I am this evening with thoughts of paint and plans to create and love my home.  I've watched the sun slowly fade into a lavender sky and seen the moonrise...So I think it's time to say good evening and we'll talk again soon.

20 comments:

Julie Baker said...

Terri-I get you completely! You might really like to read Gretchen Rubin's HAPPINESS JOURNAL.

Julie Baker said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anne said...

I completely understand your love of flowers. I'm the same way. I live in a desert-like climate and for 15 years just had some flowers in pots because it was easier to water them that way. This year we spent some serious bucks redoing the tiny back yard. We put down some fake grass that looks really good and surrounded all that area with for me to fill with flowers in the ground. It looked staggeringly beautiful and made me so happy to be home.

Am already planning for next spring because I discovered my whole attitude lifts with a beautiful garden and cut flowers indoors. Some days I had four vases full of blooms around the house. It was joyous.

Beckyathome said...

I think it's great that you are having time to search yourself and discover what you'd like. You have spent quite a bit of time this past year in a whirlwind of activity and I'm sure moments to just think have been few and far between.

It's interesting how the minds of men work, isn't it? I think my husband would be very happy for me to have a room any color I wanted, but he has had many years when he was so preoccupied with his job that he truly didn't care what color anything was, and besides he's color-blind, so it might look like something else to him anyway. He had so many other things that he wanted to spend his time, effort and energy on, and wall color wasn't on the top of the list. But, many other things were. I'm sure your walls will be lovely, and hopefully enjoyed by all!

Right now, my husband is only working part time, as he is dealing with some medical issues. Seriously, the other half of his time is divided between medical appointments and dealing with the pain from the problem in his hip. But, in the midst of it all, he has been slowly working through some projects around here. The doctors have said if he goes slow, and does a little, then rests, and then does some more, he should be ok. Good thing! He is feeling impatient and restless and feels frustrated when he can't do what he used to do. BUT, back to the point....he is more willing and less stressed with some of the home projects than he was when he had less time at home. You may find that when your husband retires he might have more time or interest in things around the home. Or, he may not want to do them, but may really enjoy that you have a project you are enjoying.

Right now, I'm having to face up to the facts that if I want something physical done, like yard work, I do need to do it. This is different for us, because he used to be way more involved. He simply can't do it right now, and that's hard for both of us. We are talking and thinking about ways to cut down some of the yard work for that reason. I do appreciate that he does what he can do, even if it's not what he wishes he could do. So, I might be weeding and he drives kids where they need to go, or he's doing a house chore like laundry because he can sit and fold, while I am mowing the lawn. We each do about 1/2 of a job that we share, and thankfully there is flexibility with our hours--either of us can do the job and we can switch and swap, which helps with all his appointments. We are in a learning curve, working through another phase in our lives--always growing, always changing. We still have hope that he can be fixed--but he has a ways to go. My husband is a large man, and they want him to lose a lot of weight before he can have surgery. I am happy to announce that as of last week, he was down 45 pounds since last May, with most of it being since August when one of the doctors began working with him more.

Through it all--many changes, hard times, good times--all of it, I do want to say that God has been faithful, and has provided. We've always had our needs met. Always! So, when you say God has helped you though feeding 3 families on a 1-family budget, I say, "AMEN!" He's done the same for us:)

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I am happy for you and your husband that you were able to have a vacation. You both deserved it.

When you were talking about crying, I could empathize with you so much. I sometimes have crying spells, usually they are late night and just being tired might be a part of the cause of them. Even though I'm not making any sound except for sniffling, my little Pomeranian knows and worries about me and tries to comfort and distract me. Mostly the crying spells are about situations that I can't change, or loved ones that I am missing. I read one time that when one cries it releases chemicals that are in the tears that are not healthful for us to retain in our bodies.

I missed my zinnia beds and other flower plantings so much this year. Zinnias are so colorful and easy to care for, and they love having their blooms cut for bouquets.I was unable to plant any flowers because it stayed too cold right up until I went in for total knee replacement on my right knee. My husband had planned on planting the zinnia beds, but with the reality of doing everything, including a lot of stuff to help care for me for a while after the surgery, cooking, cleaning, and all of the errands himself. By the time he had time to plant the zinnias, or I was even feeling like caring about them, it was too late in the season. I very much missed all of the hummingbirds and butterflies that they had always attracted. Luckily, later in the summer my Black Eyed Susan plants from last year volunteered and came up all around the front porch and even completely filled one big flower pot with blooming volunteers. That pot didn't have black eyed Susans in it the year before, so I don't know how they got seeded so perfectly. They are still blooming. I also had hardy hibiscus which bloomed beautifully, and roses. I think the hardy hibiscus would grow really well at your house. The flowers are so big they really show up. next year I hope to get my other knee replaced, but this time in June instead of May so I can get my zinnias planted..

Kathy said...

I am so glad that you were able to get away for a few days. I know the break did you good, both mentally and physically.
Thank you for sharing that He provided for you and your family. I lose sight sometimes of all that He has done, so I am starting to write down 3 things that I am thankful for each day. Have you read 1000 gifts by Ann Voskamp?
I hope you are able to get your bedroom painted. Paint is relatively inexpensive, but what a difference that it makes.
Have a great weekend.

vintage ellen said...

It's so easy to go-along just to get along with people. Once you get into the habit of it, it feels very selfish to speak up and say what you want. I feel guilty when I do but it also feels good. It's hard to change old ways but you'll feel better about yourself and others if you can take care of yourself. Not in a way that implies you are the most important person but in an equal, life is a two-way street kind of way. Take care.

Out My window said...

I felt like I was reading my life when you wrote about your vacation to the beach with your three children. We too always had to live on a very strict budget and stayed at a moth eaten place for 17straight years and only ate one meal out at a nice place every year. I cooked the rest of the time. Good memories. I cry sometimes over things as I just need the release. It is okay.

terricheney said...

Julie, I shall check out both the book you suggested and the one Carolyn suggested in a private email Control Girl b Shannon Popkin and the Anne Voskamp book also suggested here.


Anne, Four vases! How awesome! Yes, I had lovely beds once up on a time with daylily, verbena, zinnia, a pass along flower called Touch Me Not, Cosmos, Sunflowers and blanket flowers. Now I have determined to only mulch about the house and plant in pots because we are going to redo the skirting at some point in time supposedly. I'd hate to lose all my plantings due to work on the house but I confess today as I was working in the yard the wealth of cosmos and iris and the daffodils I know are under the surface made me even more determined. 100 daffodil bulbs await planting...I even took up the rocks bordering the back porch bed. I had decided it needed to me wider a few days ago and wider it's going to be.

Becky I have tried to leave comments on your blog but I can never remember my username/password. I had wondered why Rob was experiencing so much pain and I do take time each Friday evening to catch up with your week. Talk about busy! Girl you have been whirling! I'll put Rob on my prayer list.
John is very outspoken when it comes to our home décor. We tend, thankfully, to be sympatico in most of our choices, but truth told he's a lot more traditional and I prefer a little vintage funk thrown in the works. His dislike of painting is what has put him off painting the walls but I shall happily do the cutting in and the bulk of the painting and I'm not above guilting my children into helping with the bits I can't get to, lol.

Susie, it was the sight of the zinnias at the local farm produce places that started up this longing to plant them once more in my own yard. They are such happy flowers and I love cosmos for the feathery dancing-ness of them. That's intriguing about the crying releasing chemicals. I want to study up on that because I know people who are forever crying and a few who NEVER cry...I have always done very well but tend to have at least one cry a month unless I am super stressed.

Kathy I said as much to John about paint being the least expensive thing we could do in our home. Since we've just bought paint for the sheds and back porch it seems to me he should remember how reasonable it can be.

Ellen, YES...It's catching the balance of the giving in that has always thrown me. I tend to be very much on the side of keeping quiet and going along and giving in etc. It very nearly did in my relationship with John at one point but I realized what was up and talked to him about it and things changed somewhat but I need to adjust myself a little more yet.

Out My Window, I had a hard time adjusting to the change of being empty nesters. I did not expect I would but I did indeed grieve. The years with Katie and my being a stay at home mom were some of the happier years of my life overall and I think I feared life wouldn't be so happy. At one point ALL of our children lived in another state and I thought surely they would all stay there but at present I have two nearby and another back in the state if hours away. Things change and they keep on changing.

Karla said...

Oh sweet, sweet friend. Your explanation makes perfect sense to me because I understand it all so well. I think part of the reason I'm dealing with such a huge setback in the area of OCD and anxiety is the very thing you described - the set up from such an early life and the continued pattern of it all.

I hated dealing with the pain and the loss and the sadness and I'm through with the past, but now I, like you, am having to work on undoing some of the detrimental side effects of the years.

I can't wait to see your painted walls as they get done! I have this picture that it is not just a wall being painted but a new part of your soul being nurtured.

terricheney said...

Karla, yes, I think it's a sort of sign to myself that this year ahead is another fresh start, maybe the last one and maybe not, but I am ready to see how it all comes out.

Lana said...

I love the story of John saving up and taking everyone put for that special meal. We save up and take all the family that is home out for a breakfast each Christmas and the sky is the limit. There can be as many as 17 of us so it us a lot but it has become a fun tradition.

Angela said...

Oh Terri I am so sorry your vacation was somewhat marred but it sounds like you made some excellent personal growth through it. PLEASE paint that room blue- life is too short not to have such a simple thing. I always feel like flowers, paint, and fabric are inexpensive and the best way to make a home cozy and lovely! Oh and books!

I think that was such a lovely memory John gave the children!

I tried to make this year about taking care of me (among other goals). I made some progress but not nearly what I had hoped to. I shall continue trying into next year.

Liz from New York said...

You took the words right out of my mouth. I think we get so wrapped up in pleasing our families, that we got out of the habit of doing things just for ourselves. I sorta had this revelation recently myself. I was too focused on getting my validation from the people in my life, instead of validating myself! At first it felt kind of selfish. My husband looked confused, because I have acquiesced to his desires, and never asked for more. Now I do, and it's started a chain reaction here. They want ME to be happy, satisfied, content, whatever you want to call it. And it's a real good thing too! Best, liz

terricheney said...

Lana, I think that's a lovely family tradition.

Angela, I shouldn't say it was 'marred' but I did have a bit of revelation that came through the cleansing tears...lol

Liz, Yes, I think women as a rule of two kinds those who fear they might be selfish and those who ARE selfish...Which is there more hope for? I do not blame others for who I am though part of it was conditioning in my childhood. Still I am responsible for myself and I must make the change. I'm glad to know that at least others have attempted it and feel the same.

Debby in Kansas, USA said...

Terri, my dad's favorite house color was Antique White. This drove my mom to the brink of insanity. My mom loved color. The bolder, the better. My dad liked antique white. This was a constant thing in our house. When I hit the ripe old age of 13, I bought blue paint with my babysitting money and painted my room bright blue! He hated it, but let it be. I never had an antique white bedroom again, but my mom did. In fact, I old heard my mom say the eff word once and it was in reference to the white walls. I think even my dad was stunned speechless. Well, when she got older and moved in with us, I told her to pick the bedroom color- anything she wanted- and we'd paint it for her. She picked turquoise. Her window faced east and that room was (still is) BRILLIANT in the morning sun. She told me (when she was still alive) that when she opened her eyes in the morning, the beautiful room took her breath away and she felt so happy. I love that I could give that to her.

On a side note, my dad married a much younger woman after their divorce and wouldn't you know it?! Their entire house looks like someone poured Pepto Bismol over the entire inside. EVERYTHING is pink. Walls, carpet, sofa, etc. I swear that if my mom had known, she might've hopped a bus and gone to strangle him!!

terricheney said...

Debbie, My mom's go to color was called 'Celery' and was a green tinged white. It was the only color allowed as paint in any room of her houses. So when she painted her old house, she told my brother she wanted a pale green...and it came out sort of a pretty lime sherbet green and a soft lemon yellow. She's been horrified ever since, until Katie mentioned painting things a soft grey and now she's bewailing the loss of that pretty green and yellow! lol

How lovely that your mom felt happy in that turquoise room. My desire for years upon has been to have a blue room. I've got paint chips...

Karen in WI said...

Terri, I’m so glad you and your husband went for a vacation....you so deserved it! Your writing this post really hit a chord with me. I think women just give and give as wives and mothers. That’s a good thing and a part of all of it, but yes, balance, oh elusive balance. I have one grown son and three teenaged sons at home and my husband and I both realize now that we put the boys’ activities and every want ahead of our marriage. So the boys grew up, thinking they were the center of the world and learned to not think of others as much as they should. Two of the boys are more thoughtful and I hope that the other two will come around as they mature. My husband does take some blame for this, as he worked way too much and was gone for a lot of their childhoods. I begged him to put our marriage first and for a lot of the time I was not well with hypothyroidism issues, and he tended to brush both issues aside. It was work, the boys, and sometimes me. He is a wonderful husband otherwise, and I am grateful that he finally listens to me more (he is reaching 50 and I think that helps).

Do put a bit of color on your walls....I’m sure your sweet husband will come around and help when he sees that it’s important to you. My “code words” with my husband now are “It’s really important to me”....said while looking intently and sweetly in his eyes. That is our agreed “sign” that he really needs to listen to me and that It’s important to me. It helps! So do some painting (I put a lovely warm red color called Onondaga Clay from Benjamin Moore in the office and it’s sooo cozy. That was very bold for me as usually I pick safer, more neutral colors). Plant more flowers and do your garden beds! Put yourself first sometimes. I have to do this more myself. I like many of the things you do and want to plant more flowers and bulbs (I always seem to miss the window for bulbs in fall), sew, work on my essential oils, make soap, plan to get some exericise, etc. It’s so important to take care of ourselves, but so hard as it seems that a child needs us (or wants us), or our husband needs something, or expectations of what they are used to us always doing. More joy I say, which means balance! I am turning 49 in a few weeks and want to start doing more things for me. After 31 years of parenting, I think I deserve it! You do too my dear.

terricheney said...

Karen, I know all about work eating your marriage. With John it was just the nature of the business he's in. When his schedule was 7 on and 7 off I used to tell him we couldn't count the years we'd been married because he was only home two weeks a month, lol. Over the years he's come to realize that whether or not I like it, I have been affected strongly by his job and the need to do things on my own without him. Many and many a holiday and birthday and anniversary has been celebrated early or late but never on the day of. I expect he will come around when I start up. The thing with John is he can put off what he doesn't want to do forever. I on the other hand have waited long enough and am ready to start.

Annabel said...

It makes sense to me. The anxiety, being the peace keeper, all of it. And yes to painting! Paint is a miracle... not just colour but cleanness, freshness, newness! xxx