In My Home This Week: Planned Suppers and Breakfasts and Altered Dinners



Somehow or other when planning meals last night, I forgot all about the chicken I baked on Friday.  There's just loads of it left even after dinner today.  That alters my dinner menus this week.  So amended dinner menu:

Roast Chicken, Baked Potatoes, Salad



Kielbasa with Potatoes au Gratin and Peas, Creamed Cabbage

Black Beans and Rice, Pico de Gallo Salad, Corn Bread

Beefy Pasta Bake, Green Salad, Garlic Bread

Chef Salad, Twice Baked Potatoes

John at work Xs2

I currently have pulled all the chicken off the bone and while I planned to use that meat for supper, I think I'll have more than I need.  The bones are in the crockpot being made into bone broth at present along with another chicken carcass.  I expect to have some meat to pick off those bones as well.  We shall see how it works out, but I expect to make up a casserole of some sort to put in the freezer.

Also forgot to mention in my postings that the Beefy Pasta Bake, even when I halve the recipe, always makes up enough for two casseroles for us.  One of those will also go into the freezer.

Breakfasts: 
Cereal, Peanut Butter Toast
Poached Egg over Hash Browns.  Yes, we'll be eating a lot of potatoes this week.  I bought 10 pounds and I've offered half to Sam and Bess but so far they haven't wanted them.  So I am using all I can to keep from having them go to waste.  Glad I like potatoes, lol.
Apple Muffins, Cheese Cubes
Butterscotch Oatmeal x2
Bagels with Cream Cheese
Sausage Biscuits

Suppers:
Turkey, Lettuce and Tomato on Rye
Pancakes, Bacon (for the boys) Sausage (me and John)
Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Chicken Noodle Soup
Toasted Cheese Sandwiches
Santa Fe Black Beans Soup (using leftovers of our beans and rice dinner and chicken broth)
Nachoes or 7 Layer Dip with Tortilla Chips

10 comments:

Louise said...

It is easy to forget things anymore.. Today I was going through FB when I saw a recipe for Borscht which reminded me a friend had given me beets from her garden. I had put them in the fridge and because I was dealing with painful shingles at the time I didn't do anything with the beets.. So I am boiling beets now when I really wanted to nap.

Lana said...

I found out by accident that potatoes keep quite well if kept in the bag they come in. I had always poured them out into a bin and they did not keep very well. Yesterday we ate two baking potatoes that had been here for about 4 weeks in their bag and they did not even have a single sprout on them.

We had BBQ chicken sandwiches today, two days we will have goulash, two days will be turkey potpie using turkey and gravy in the freezer, one night is pizza and another will be taco salads. I am so ready for a big pot of soup!

terricheney said...

Louise, I decided a nap was first today and then I worked, lol.

Lana, I am longing for soup as well, hence on my menu for suppers twice this week. I've just taken up the bone broth I've made and I'll pick over the chicken bones tomorrow. It smelled so good cooking. John kept asking if I had already put rice in but I mean this to be chicken NOODLE soup this time around, not Chicken Rice. Hope he won't be too disappointed, lol.

Lana said...

Terri, I just get so hot when I eat soup when it is not cold outside. I am longing for Chicken Pot Pie Soup. It is our favorite.

That storm is possible going to be a Category 3 when it makes landfall. They are saying 60 mph sustained winds here so you may really get it down there.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I am enjoying your menu post this week. Isn't it amazing how much we can do with a whole chicken. It truly is a bargain.

It continues to be overly hot here where I live, and I am tired of eating and cooking warm season foods, even though I could go ahead and cook some Fall-ish foods, they are just too filling and body temp raising for me right now. The other night I just had some cold cereal for supper, while my husband had both our shares of the planned leftovers. I need to get creative and get out of this rut. I just heard earlier this evening that cooler temps are heading my way on Wednesday. Your menu posts always give me new ideas for meals to cook.

I know by the time Fall goes by and we are waiting for spring to come again, I'll be looking forward to eating the food I am so tired of now.

Anonymous said...

I love buying a b b q chicken from our Wegmans. After shopping we rush in the house, grab that chicken, pull its legs off and gnaw like 2 dogs! LOL. The rest goes in the frig and it stretches so far. Love chicken sandwiches! Gramma D

terricheney said...

Lana, I haven't seen any reports. John did mention it to me, but nothing on my weather app except slightly lower temps and small chance of rain. I'll have to look into this so I can draw up water if necessary.

Susie, I agree, when it's so hot food just seems heavy and yes, come spring, I am ready for salads and fresh tomatoes and lighter meals.

Gramma D., Yep! I usually pull off a leg or wing as soon as we get home, lol if I buy one at store.

Lana said...

Terri, GA is now under a state of emergency. This thing is serious!

Deanna said...

My daughter makes twice baked potatoes and freezes them in order to use up a large bag of potatoes. I mean to do that myself...if I ever get my freezer cleared out enough to have the space. Ha!

terricheney said...

Lana, I checked forecasts and predictions today. It is not going to be direct hit with my area but it will be close so we might see some wind and rain. The highest warnings are at least two counties below mine. I shall be filling the tub though, just in case. I bought eggs and bread today. There were less than two dozen boxes of eggs in the store where I shopped. I got a big bag of dog food. Just need to rig up some sort of shelter for the dog Rufus and Misu the cat. Maddie gets snarky about sharing her shelter.

Deanna, I've frozen them too and they do very well. I just don't have the room either! Every time I start thinking maybe I don't need the big freezer, I discover how much more I could do if I had an even bigger one!