In My Home This Week: Planning Committee of One



Saturday:  We stayed in our hotel room this day and sat on the balcony when we could stand the humidity and heat and then went back into the room.  I'm so happy that they have both sliding doors overlooking the ocean and a mirrored wall that reflects those doors because I spent my day on the couch either looking out the windows or looking at that wall of reflected ocean waves.



John prepared a simple lunch and that was our sole 'work' for the day.  We made a point of having an appetizer and drink each afternoon around 4pm.  Good thing because we were slim on food by Saturday afternoon and our supper consisted of appetizers and salad and a smidge of leftover steak.

I started packing up after we watched moonrise.

I have to share a funny little thing that happened that evening.  I was watching Parisienne Farm Girl who had just put up a video vlog about overwintering her Rosemary.   The whole time we were on vacation the temperatures in the area were 95f except for one cloudy morning, following which the sun came out and the temperatures were in the mid 90s all over again.  It was at least that hot the whole week before we left home, too.  I guess I had let my brain relax way too much because I could not for the life of me figure out why she'd be trying to winter her rosemary plants when it was 95f.  Then it occurred to me that it was October 20th not mid summer.   Gosh it's hard to go from a tropical mind set to a frosty one!

Sunday:  Up early and discovered that it was quite cool outdoors and felt like autumn.  How pleasant to drive home in that!

We plotted our route anew and only got turned around twice.  Once due to a lack of signage and the second time due to a glut of traffic that kept us from getting into the lane we needed to migrate into.   The second time we got turned around, we pulled into a CVS parking lot.  I needed to use the facilities and wanted fresh water.  Happily found water on sale and earned $2ECB as well.

Our drive home took about 8 and a half hours with stops to stretch our legs but we agreed that it was an easy pace.  We changed roadways only 5 times and most of the routes were straightaways, with the final four hours a very familiar stretch of highway.  We stopped at a Huddle House to eat a late lunch.  John told me he knew I wanted a hot meal (yes, I did!) and he thought it looked like a nice place to stop.  It was.  I had one of the best omelets I've ever had and enjoyed every hot bite of it.  It's amazing how a hot meal, eaten at a table and not out of hand while juggling the driver's food,  can restore you for the second half of your journey!   John admitted it had done him a world of good to take that break from driving.

We were greeted at home by ecstatic doggies and a wailing cat who proclaimed she'd starved while we were gone.  We knew better, since John had 'hired' Josh to come over after school and on Saturday to feed the pets, but everyone got a meal.   Katie apparently had 'starved' while we were gone too but she just wanted to run out to see us, lol.   Then John called to tell Josh we'd pay him on Monday and he was 'starved' too and wanted to see us right away but we begged off and promised we'd absolutely see him on Monday after school.

I spent the evening unpacking and marveling that home felt so very nice even if there wasn't a great ocean swelling outside the door and that we'd gone from 95f to 48f in less than 24 hours.

Monday:  Mama's house needed plumbing work done and when I'd called previously the plumber told me he was very backed up and to call again in two weeks.  I called him first thing this morning and found myself being told he'd meet me in 20 minutes at the house.  Truthfully?  I didn't expect that!  I had to hurry up and get in gear to run over to the other house after calling Kate to alert her that a stranger was on his way over.   This was not quite how I'd seen my day when I went to bed last night.

It took about two hours and we ran into a snafu but it was all sorted out and I paid the plumber.  I called Mama to let her know and found myself embroiled in a conversation that left me drained.  I came home and pulled together a quick dinner for John and I and then I sort of collapsed in my chair and vegetated.  I'm so glad our house was thoroughly cleaned before we left for vacation!  Between the trip home and the morning's dealings I was emptied out and hung to dry.

John, bless him, listened to me as I reeled off my gripes and sympathized with me.  We agreed that we can do little to change the attitude but we can try to cast it off.   To that end, he turned on the tv and put on a tv series that we both like a great deal.  I'd never seen the pilot program before and it adds a great deal to the storyline.   After we'd watched that episode we got ready to go pick up his check, pay bills and tend to banking.

When we got back home we hesitated at going straight over to see Josh.  It was just ten minutes until Bess had to leave for work and I hated to think we might somehow hinder her from leaving or cause anxiety about getting off to work on time.  However, Mr. Josh called to speak to his Grampa and told him he wanted to see him  and reminded him that he'd promised to come see him and Isaac, lol.  So John and I went over, just missing Bess.

We spent a pleasant two hours with the boys while they ate supper.  While in Ormond by the Sea we'd gone to the Catholic church to hear the carillon played.  They had pumpkins spread all over the lawn and grouped in various types, sizes, etc.  John decided we needed to choose pumpkins.  He was very picky about them, too!  About the size, the shape, the length of the stem etc.  Not for him Cinderella pumpkins or the green gourds we women would choose for decorations.  Traditional orange and round.  He chose three varying sizes.  I had teased him and said he'd chosen a Grandpa pumpkin, a Josh sized pumpkin and an Isaac pumpkin.

We took those pumpkins to Josh and Isaac tonight and Josh was delighted.  He was more excited over the pumpkins than getting his pay for his work.  He put the money in his bank and came right back to play with the pumpkins.  When I told him they represented him and grandpa and Isaac he told me that he was going to save Isaac's pumpkin to make pie.  That pumpkin likely won't generate a 1/2 cup of flesh, lol.

It was fun to see the boys and to talk with Samuel who'd seen male deer vying for rank the evening before.  Now that's something I've only ever seen on nature programs.  I told Sam that when I was in elementary school  they'd assured us we'd never see a wild animal or know what one looked like, but I've seen just all sorts of things in my lifetime and I expect his boys will, too.

We came home and fell asleep in our chairs but all in all it was a good day.  I'd spent time with Kate and with Sam and seen the boys and even had a glimpse of Bess as she video chatted with Josh to choose his class room candy for treats.

Tuesday:  Not a lot to choose from this morning where food was concerned.  We headed off a little later than planned but we had a long list of errands to run this day.

We started by participating in early voting  for our state candidates.  Then over to pick up John's new glasses.  While he was picking up glasses I was next door picking up bakery breads. I've noticed that I have a small skin reaction now when I eat standard issue loaf bread.  The bakery breads do not seem to have the same effect upon me.  I bought a bag of caramels there, a fall treat for John and I that we indulge in at no other time.

Off to Aldi where we seem to have finally got the pattern of the store down.  We were out of so many basic items that our bill was a little higher this time around.  I can't even blame the overpriced caramel corn John picked up as we got near the register.  He was starting to feel puckish I could tell and we still had two more stops to make.

John and I both got haircuts and I braved up and went a little shorter than I've done in the past.  My inspiration was the stylist across from me who had been sporting a pageboy and now had a fun pixie cut.

We walked over to Kroger to pick up the Free Friday items, Decaf coffee, a small container of plain yogurt (I mean to go back to making my own) and an item for John's lunches.  I noted when we walked out of the store that I was well and truly over budget and we'd spent less than $10 on lunch and caramels and caramel corn.  I couldn't even blame impulse items!   As I was ruminating on this John asked if we were 'on budget'...Ack!  Why does he never ask when I am spot on?!  I told him we were over but I was going to do my best to curb any further expenses in the way of foods.  I didn't mention I'd hoped to stock up on meats this time around because I clearly was not about to do so!

It was late when we returned and later still by the time I'd put away groceries and totaled our checkbook.  I put two chicken breasts on to boil and added in the last egg from vacation to boil.  I made chicken salad for supper.

Wednesday:    I had a long list of kitchen jobs planned for today but after I did routine housework I thought I'd just step outdoors while it was cool and start work on the inside of my shed.  Well...that led to not only starting that task but deciding that after all while it was cool painting would be a pleasant activity and so I finished painting my shed.  Three hours later...lol.

Curiously while working on the shed, I kept hearing a strange series of noises.  It began with a sort of high pitched grunt and then clacking sounds.  I realized soon enough that the male deer were still vying for rank and apparently doing so in the field just beyond my little wooded strip.  I briefly thought of pushing through to see them but I don't think it's wise to mess about with hormonal bucks, do you?

Seriously tired when I came indoors.  I was glad I had a few breaded fish fillets left in the freezer.  I popped that in the oven to heat while I showered and took pain relievers for my aching muscles.   After I had lunch that was pretty much the end of my physical working day.

Having spent the afternoon typing out a coffee chat post and watching the sunset, I have laid out a plan for tomorrow.  I hope to sort out my fridge and make up meal plans using up those items which require immediate attention.  To the best of my knowledge this includes bella mushrooms and two tomatoes Mama sent via Katie two weeks ago.  I don't know what else is lurking but with me over the budget for the pay period I want to make the best of everything we have and let nothing go to waste.

I  want to make yogurt, granola, and rolls to use for Shabat bread.

I'd also like to pick up the piles of sticks I left last week and put them in the brush heap and trim back the rose bush and that overgrown lantana that insists on getting so very large.  I would really like to move that thing away from the house but guess I shall wait until spring which is a better time for it to adjust.  Besides, I don't think I'm up for digging just yet.  I may try to paint the trim on my shed if all else fails to keep me busy enough.

Thursday:  Girls...If you had seen me today you would have thought I was preparing for some great event.  I whirled and twirled and I got a lot accomplished!  I don't mind telling you all I am quite tired.  I worked past my 3pm quitting time today and went into overtime, lol.  I've just cleared up the kitchen for the final time this evening, with a roast thawing on the counter to go into the crockpot for the weekend.

I started my day a little bit late, having awakened as I do most mornings, when the bus stops on the hill.  The dogs always bark when the bus stops but I can hear it, too.  I've been listening to the bus stop on the hill twice a day for every school day now for the past 22 years so I know pretty much what it sounds like, lol.  I didn't jump out of bed because it was chilly and I was snuggly warm.  Besides it is dark and while it doesn't bother me to get up at dark thirty when John is here I loathe sitting in the dark alone.  I got up as soon as the coffee finished brewing.  I'll get up in the dark if there's coffee...

I made a quick breakfast for myself and John because I hadn't made it to the kitchen yet when he called to say he was on his way home.   I had taken time to dress, because the older I get the less I like getting well chilled before the day has started.  Usually he calls me from the parking lot at work but this morning he was a good ten minutes into the ride home when he called.  I know because he told me he was passing the church and I know just how far out that is.  I hustled to set things ready for making breakfast and then I sat down with a cup of coffee.  John pulled into the yard about five minutes later.

Why was I taking so much time just setting up a breakfast to be prepared.  Because I looked out the window this morning and saw the sunrise, a glorious firey red sky with a deep orange glow.  It didn't take my breath away.  I exclaimed "Good job, God!" and stood there and admired it.  Coffee may have been waiting nearby but I needed to take a few minutes to appreciate the true glory of the morning sky.  I got a picture a couple of minutes later and it only half does it justice because it had faded a little by the time I got out the front door.



We were done with breakfast and I'd cleared up the dishes by 8:45 this morning, a good 45 minute head start on my day anyway I looked at it.  

After I'd cleared the kitchen, I decided to ignore the house and go outdoors to pick up those sticks that I've been gazing at for the past week.  These were all limbs dropped during Hurricane Michael that I'd gathered in piles but still needed to move to the brush piles we have here and there.  I started under the pecan tree and discovered as I was picking up the limbs that there were dozens of small privets and a good half dozen tiny cedars under that tree.  I went right on and pulled all those up while I was at it.  Then over to the pair of trees at the end of the house, where I discovered thousands of privet about an inch or so tall and a good dozen cedar trees....I only cleared the crotch of one set of roots about the sweetgum and contemplated planting daffodils in those areas if I can dig down deep enough.  The mulch and leaves I'd piled there over the years have turned to soil now.

When I went to empty the wagon into the brush pile I discovered cedar and privet coming up in front of the iris and daffodils I'd planted under the shade of a tree at the edge of the yard.  I took a few minutes to get those up because there wasn't quite the surplus of them that there were under the Sweet Gum and Persimmon at the end of the house.   That is a job for another day...

Around to the front and I gathered up the limbs I'd piled at the base of the Faith tree.  There were no privet or cedars there.  Just a dead headless chipmunk.   Oh great!  There must be a plethora of chipmunks here this year because I find one nearly daily in the yard and it's not the same one over and over again.  Josh told me he'd seen them running down the road  in the mornings when he goes to meet the bus.

Now I admit I think squirrels are fun with all their play, but doggone it is hard to beat a chipmunk for overall cuteness.  I wish Maddie and Misu were more into squirrels but it's chipmunks they keep bringing up to the house.

When I put the wagon away, I was planning to finish the shed but John came outdoors planning to mow.  I wasn't about to have him kick up dust on wet paint so instead I moved all the rocks and bricks from in  front of the back porch.  I'd decided late last week that I would expand the depth of that bed as it tends to dwindle to about a foot from the most eastern end...Well it does from the western end as well but my rosemary grew so big and round this rainy summer of ours that it had covered the iris I'd planted behind it when it was a baby plant.  The rosemary this year went from about 6 inches wide to about 2 1/2 feet this summer!

I meant to dig the iris from behind the rosemary but I couldn't get to them.  I could however find the rocks edging that end of the flower bed and so I just worked my way from one end of the porch to the other.  I piled all the rocks in a deep trench that Maddie has dug out in the flower bed.  Rufus will dig too but not as much as Maddie.  Rufus by the way was with me every step of the way this morning.  Maddie went off to chase squirrels in the woods near the yard but Rufus sat down in the middle of whatever area I was working and when I moved, he moved with me.  I used to have a cat, Pepper, who loved to be with me in the yard and Rufus is apparently of a gardening mindset just like Pepper was.

I was hot and sweaty when I was done with that task.  I don't like to be outdoors when John is mowing.  I have both a genuine allergy to the aroma of cut grass and a slight fear of being hit by a rock or stick thrown from the blades of the mower.  It dates back to a few smacks I got from rocks as a child, so I tend to go indoors.

Now I'd done a good days work outdoors and could rightfully have stopped and said "Enough."  But...I had this list of things to make in my head and so I went right to work.  I had two big ripe tomatoes Mama had sent via Katie a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't need tomatoes at the time and I've told Mama that I keep plenty of produce on hand but she will not buy less.  Because Katie was there she took advantage and sent home a sack full of produce with her.  Katie took a portion but honestly, it was overkill for us.  Anyway, I might not have needed the tomatoes then but there they still were and getting ever so slightly wrinkly.  I had portabella mushrooms in the fridge too that were two weeks old.  I'd thought last night of the Spaghetti Diable casserole we like so well as a good fit for those vegetables.  I took two breasts from the freezer to thaw and then added in a pound of ground beef.    I wanted to make granola, yogurt and I'd pretty much made up my mind to make a pot of soup.   I found a jar of salsa in the fridge, too that I was sure needed to be used up.

So here I was with yeast and egg and butter on the baking counter for making Shabbat breads on the baking counter and zucchini, onion, garlic, tomatoes and salsa on the counter next to the sink.  I had oats and peanut butter and honey on the longest counter, and a gallon of milk sitting on the island.  I looked at it all and nearly quit for half a second because I was pretty tired from my yard work but then I looked at the bananas that are just the perfect ripeness and decided that cereal would be for breakfast and I wanted granola as my cereal...So I got to work.  I'd put the chicken on to cook before I went out to work in the yard, so I was ahead by only a little.

At the end of the day, aside from doing dishpan after dishpan of dishes, I had: 2 dozen rolls; 2 quarts of taco soup plus enough for supper; three pints of yogurt; two Spaghetti Diable casseroles, one for today's dinner and one for the freezer; and 1 1/2 quarts of granola.  I was in the kitchen for roughly five hours but I was that proud to see the production of food I'd created with just a few ingredients overall.

Here's my figures for the few items I know the value of:  Granola is $3.59 12 ounces at Aldi.  I have twice that much so a savings of $7.18.   Oatmeal costs $1.99 for 2 pound canisters.  I keep peanut butter, olive oil and honey on hand at all times and oatmeal too for that matter.

2 dozen rolls sell for $3.59 a dozen at the grocery bakery.  Savings $7.18.

Yogurt runs $2.39 a pint in Aldi.  I saved $6.87.  By the way, a gallon of milk of late costs $1.49 and  I used about half a gallon (not quite).  I got the yogurt for starter free from Kroger.  I have half that to use for a future batch of yogurt if I fail to save any of my own for starter.

The granola this week was a new to me recipe which is very simple: 3 cups Oats, 1/4 cup each of honey, peanut butter, olive oil and a single tablespoon of sugar.  It tastes really good!  I generally add some sort of dried fruit or nuts but I kept it simple this week.  I can always add those to individual bowls if I want it.

Putting away everything today has pointed up my current lack of jars and plastic storage.   I can't think what's happened to them all, except that I've obviously used every single one.  I had signed up a long time ago for the Krazy Koupon lady's emails and they stopped coming.  In the past couple of weeks they started coming again.  One of the featured coupons was for a full set of plastic storage pieces, utensils, measuring cups and spoons, etc. for $15 with a $5 coupon code.  I ordered that set this week and will look into buying a dozen canning jars which should net me enough for storage needs in future.

It began to rain this afternoon but I see a glimpse of sunset on the horizon which is appreciated.  I always feel a day has been lived well if you see both a lovely sunrise and a pretty sunset.  I confess I'm half hoping it rains tomorrow as well because 'we' have a job of yardwork to do, lol.    I think I'm going to take a nice warm shower and put on my pajamas and call this day done.

Friday:  I admit I was happy this morning to wake and hear the rain...We both rolled over and went back to sleep.  I was even happier to know that my planned meal of soup and cornbread was going to be well suited to a cool rainy day.

I had told John last night it was a cereal morning, because of the perfectly ripe bananas on the counter.  The peanut butter and honey granola is really good and satisfying.  John prefers a boxed cereal and that's fine.  We are both happy with our choices.

Ack!  Looked out the window this morning when I first got up and there was a dead possum.  Not just a possum playing possum but one that has yet to move so I think he is truly dead.  I could seriously do without the love gifts from the pets but must admit I feel a lot better about a dead possum than I do about a dead chipmunk.  

I sat with the dogs on the porch this morning as they ate.  I haven't done that in a good while and I have to admit after the three days of being outdoors that whether or not I have claimed Rufus, he most assuredly has claimed me...  I think this makes up for the fact that while Maddie requires my attention she's always pretty much been John's dog.  I mean if it's a choice between us both Maddie always chooses John first.

I'll have to take a photo of Rufus sometime.  I haven't shown the pets much of late.  Maddie is whiter than she used to be about the nose and the eyes and Misu is a little older than Maddie, I think.  Rufus is not a pup, he has plenty of grey sprinkled in his shaggy black fur...and plenty of sandspurs embedded to.  I've tried clipping him but he's only willing to let me do so much.  Bonus though is that if Maddie sees me clipping Rufus, she wants me to clip her as well.  They each tolerate about two minutes.

After sitting with the pets, I came indoors to start my chores.  Not such a lot of them today so I took a break after getting the kitchen cleaned up and called Bess.  I bought daffodil bulbs at Aldi the other day and wanted to offer her half of those and to tell her we need to dig and plant iris now if she wants some of those.  After we'd chatted a few minutes, I started in on the rest of the chores.

I'd just finished up when Mama called and that conversation was draining to say the least.  Mama is very unhappy and yet refuses to do anything to change.  Instead she wants every one else to change.  She proclaims she wants to be independent but cries that no one helps her do things.  It's been my experience thus far with her than when anyone does anything to help she is displeased with the results even if it is done exactly as she said she wanted it done.   She says she is lonely but refuses to meet her neighbors or to go to her nurses' meeting.  She wanted to know what we'd do about Thanksgiving this year and I offered to bring the whole thing to her house.  "But I don't have anywhere for the little children to play!"  Okay. "Then we'll have it at my house."  "I don't know if I'll feel like coming..."
John listened to a portion of the conversation and came to shake his head in sympathy at one point.  He knew I was catching it hard this morning with Mama.    I confess it makes it hard to look forward to my visit with her next week.  Ah well.

Our dinner was delicious by the way.  It was just a made up as I went recipe yesterday and had the warmth of chili with lots of vegetables in it.  I had been contemplating a weekend dessert and decided to make a pineapple upside down cake.  I used my deep cast iron skillet to make the cake.  I decided to turn it out of the pan, fearful the acid in the pineapple would mar the skillet.  The cake turned out a mess, sigh, but it tastes just fine which is really the lovely thing about cake, lol.  It's nicer when it all turns out looking like the cookbook photo but if it tastes good it makes up for the messiness a little.

We've worked hard this week and are ready for our Shabat rest.    It's been a good week, filled with pleasant things and the satisfaction of seeing the results of our hard work.  We've seen and talked with family.  I might be over my grocery budget but I have managed a savings to help offset that.  I think all in all this week was well planned.

7 comments:

Lana said...

We have had a very lazy, lots of sleep week at the lake. Today it is 47 and poured rain since last night. One ofy favorite things in the world is a rainy night at the lake. The rain sounds lovely on this roof. Leftover Chickey Pot Pie soup for supper and all is good.

terricheney said...

I could do with a nice chicken pot pie...but tonight it is toasted cheese sandwiches. I expect you two needed the rest that sleep afforded. It's lovely to hear the rain here on our metal roof as well. It makes for a nice drowsy sort of day.

Beckyathome said...

I haven't bought very many groceries, except stocking up on staples such as rice, etc., for the past 2 Fridays, so today, I stocked up on meat and milk, eggs, etc. at the grocery store. I got some fish, some chicken thighs, fake crab for salads, and lots and lots of cheese. The price was so good that I got the limit allowed--6. 3 loaves and 3 bags of various shreds. I have to confess I went over the budget I intended to spend, as well. It must be in the air this week! Once I realized it was logical to get all that cheese now, I made a conscious decision to spend more, as the cheese will keep and this price will not come again soon. ($4.99/2 lbs). I also got more lettuce. We are going through so much produce right now, because my husband is eating it constantly. I'm happy to buy it, but I already am missing the garden I have been blessed with all summer.

No worries if you can't get comments posted on my blog. Blogger has been acting weird when I try to post a comment on a Blogger blog for me lately. Sometimes, I am signed in as myself, and sometimes, I'm not signed in at all no matter what I do. I blog with Wordpress, so have a super easy time leaving comments on other Wordpress blogs. Which is a whole new issue for me--I'm filling up my free blog, so will need to do something different soon, so I'm exploring what the least expensive options are for me. I'm getting some good ideas by reading a lot on the subject, but I have to confess I'm not very technical, so I can see a lot of learning in my future as I figure it out! I guess it keeps my brain active:). I just need several hours of uninterrupted time and I'll go at it one of these days. (The only thing I know I won't be doing is paying $45/month or even more for one of the hosted blogs--it seems there are many more options available out there!)

Liz from New York said...

Isn’t it funny how some days we are all full of vim and vigor, and some days can’t get up of the couch? Sounds like you had a stellar week! Best, Liz

Mable said...

Did you know you can throw whole tomatoes into the freezer and then pull them out when you want to make spaghetti sauce or the like? I have a bag of them right now, left over from my garden when I didn't have time to can any more of them. Anyway, it opened a whole new world of not wasting food when I learned this freezing trick a few years ago!

I admire how patient you are with your mother. Years ago I ceased contact with my parents. They were physically and emotionally abusive even during my childhood and then into my adulthood. It improved my life significantly when I explained to them why I was no longer going to be involved in their lives and quit seeing or calling them. It just was not worth what it did to me (and by extension my husband) when I had contact with them.

FrugalStrong said...

I had the same thing happen with Krazy Coupon Lady. The emails just stopped coming but started back up about a month ago.

terricheney said...

Becky I am always amazed at all that you do food-wise and remain on budget too.

Liz, Indeed it is funny how energy waxes and wanes. Right now I'm just in from painting trim on both sheds and shaking like a leaf. I didn't feel good when I walked out the door

Mabel, I think I'd heard the same thing about peaches...

No kidding, there is good reason why I keep my distance from my mom. I try to be respectful and kind regardless of how she may be, but I find her draining in the extreme most of the time. However, she has so alienated every one that there is no family to tend to her on any regular basis.

Frugal Strong, I think I vaguely recall she was ill? Or dealing with some personal issues maybe? It all happened just about when my family moved in with me, I think.