Cranberry Upside Down Cake

Here's a recipe for a cake I made for the second time in 40 odd years.  I don't know why I waited so long.  I liked it quite well when I made it the first time but since I'm a recipe enthusiast I sometimes don't cycle back around to a recipe that I liked.

This is a good recipe following a 'rich' season of eating and shall go on my menu cycle for post holiday eats.   The berries are tart but not terribly and the cake is not too sweet.  I cut my cake into 12 pieces.  Whipped cream is nice but even plain with black coffee it's a nice treat.

I bought a new bag of fresh cranberries so I can make this again after Christmas.

Cranberry Upside Down Cake

Bake at 350F 40-50 minutes

3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
2 cups fresh cranberries
1 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla



Melt butter and 1 cup sugar in the baking pan (I used a 8 inch round pan); add cranberries.  Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.  Cream shortening with remaining 1/2 cup sugar until fluffy.  Add egg and beat thoroughly.  Add sifted dry ingredients and milk alternately in small amounts, beating well after each addition.  Add vanilla.  Pour batter over cranberries and bake in moderate over (350F) 40-50 minutes.  Turn upside down.  If desired serve with whipped cream.

I tried to melt the butter and sugar together with nothing but a hard mass to show for my efforts.  I found on second attempt that melting the butter and mixing in the sugar while it and the pan was warm was a much better option.  Then I put the cranberries on top of the butter and sugar mixture.  It did not come out grainy as there is enough juice in the fresh cooked cranberries.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice that cranberries freeze so well without doing anything to them. Sounds yummy! Love cranberry and orange zest muffins. Gramma D

Louise said...

I agree with Granny D... but I've only had the muffins with lemon in them. This cake sounds delicious too.. I wonder if dried cranberries could be reconstituted and used??

Mable said...

I have to confess, I use a boxed cake mix to make this. I got 10 boxes of cake mix for 69 cents each, so (unlike with many baked goods) it is cheaper using the box mix.

terricheney said...

Grandma D, I freeze one or two bags each Christmas season. I like cranberries in muffins and nut bread as well.

Louise, I think it depends on whether they are the sort that are sweetened and dried or just plain dried. The tartness is what you want in this cake.

Mable, Had I found cake mix for that price I'd use it too. When I do use a cake mix I often just add water to it and it rises just fine. I am all for anything that you can just add water to!

Coffee Chat: Love and Marriage