In My Home This Week: December to Dream and Plan



In my home this week...

Katie and Taylor were here for a good part of the afternoon.  What a great time John had!  Today, after three years of patiently waiting on his part, was the day that Taylor suddenly decided that Grampa was more than all right.  Today she followed him about, sat near him to play, chattered at him non-stop and referred to him as Grampa and willingly gave him a good hug when it came time to say "Goodbye".   I have become "Gramma Gramma", always doubled.



I am just sorry that I didn't feel like having the two boys come over, even though Taylor assumed that 'Yosh'  would be here.  Josh loves Taylor even when she's less than happy to see strangers which we are mostly to her.  However, Little Miss was so busy and happy and active that two more would have seriously overwhelmed me even with two additional adults present.  She was at ease and happy, something that has not been true since she turned one.  For some reason, along with walking came a strong shyness and then out and out panic at times with others present.  Today was a Red Letter Day for us on more than one account.

While Katie was here I set in motion the plans for our family Christmas get together.  It will be near Christmas, on a day when John will be coming in from work but no one will actually be working on that day except him.   The additional work schedules have been tough to manage.  Katie plans to have Taylor that weekend.  The menu is to be nothing but finger foods/appetizers/snacks which is easy enough to manage and far easier to divide amongst us three girls and Sam.  Jd does NOT cook and no one is going to ask him to.  He can provide ice and drinks and chips.   I will bake cookies of various sorts to have out.  I think it should go easily enough to put together.  The only kink is trying to figure out how to get Mama here.  I can't leave home with guests wanting breakfast and setting up a party, she can't drive here on her own any longer.

I redecorated the tree this morning.  Yes, I did...It's a habit I have but I also found some silver and white balls, a few more snowflakes and the red bird ornaments.  The tree looks lovely now.  Katie laughed when I got up earlier in the afternoon and tweaked the ribbon at the bottom.  "You'll redecorate it again three more times," she said.  I confess it has been an issue with me in the past, but unless the tree falls over or the boys pull off ornaments I'm really quite pleased at present and see no reason to re-do a thing except straight the star on top which leans crookedly enough but is plainly askew at present.

I've made up my mind how I want things to look.  Carolyn mentioned to me that she is a visual person who must 'see' how things look.  I am, too.  I will work on setting up the mantel and buffet, and dining table, the entry doors and a few other areas of the house,  but if it doesn't please me once it's done, I have no problem at all removing it and starting over.

I am searching for something special for John and I to do this season.  We've decided that we loved going to see The Nutcracker, but we don't want to get so jaded by going year after year that it's just routine stuff.  I'd love to go see "White Christmas" at the movie theatre.  It's being shown in Columbus at one of the theaters, two shows on two different days.  John comes in from work on one day and the other is a Sunday.  We'd never make it from church to the theatre some 65 miles away in time for the first show and we simply are not going to field unfamiliar streets in the pitch dark.  We had quite enough of that back in May when we went to EMS banquet and the GPS insisted we needed to go through Louisiana to return home!

I have done nothing at all festive towards Chanukah which starts Monday evening.  I have not checked my gift drawer nor done more than given a passing thought to gifts.  We typically give the adult children cash unless they specifically ask for something and it is within the budget we have.  I usually do a shoe box of sorts for each with small gifts within but very budget friendly: a favorite candy, a coloring book, lip balm etc. for the grandchildren, then a favorite candy or cookie and some item I know is needed or fun for the adults.  I try to keep the shoe box gifts to $5 each which is plenty with their cash gift.  Why do I give cash and then give a present?  Because John has determined they should have cash...and it is John who mourns the lack of gifts under the tree come the day to celebrate!   And John who fusses if I spend bunches filling stockings or shoe boxes,  as well he ought.

Gracious, I've written a post just as the intro here!  Let me get on with the real plans for the week ahead.

I plan my work week.



John has ordered the skip/dumpster and it will arrive Wednesday.  It has been paid for.  I have to fill it and have it off site in 21 days.  My 21st day is December 25 and we all know that is not going to be pick up day...so it shall have to go sooner.   John has a closet in the music room wherein resides heaven knows what and a bookcase that is wobbly and feeble and shakes and quakes at a breath.  I've commanded it to absolutely come out.  He has a workday off this week and I am going to get behind him and ask him to tackle that space.  In the meantime, I am going over house with a harsh eye to see what else really must go and then out to the shed to begin the process of shifting things so I can get at the big stuff that must go and any other items that have deteriorated too much to pass along to thrift store.   So yes, this week shall be mostly a concentration on getting stuff OUT.

Mopping floors must be done this week.  Rain or shine, cold or dry, it must be done.

I need to go over the refrigerator and the refrigerator freezer.  I think I have a few dishes I can make up from leftovers and put aside as freezer entrees for the month ahead.

It's Harvest week.  Bills must be readied for payment.  The checkbook needs to be totted up.  John gets paid on Monday and we've not been to Aldi in a month's time.  Not to say that I've done so well with my budget because I did not.  I am resigned that Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays just require extra things and we shall pinch hard in January and February too if we must.  Those are good soup eating months at any rate, right?   So I shall make a comprehensive grocery list this week taking into account the foods we might require for our Christmas family day and what I shall need for Holiday baking.

Decorating.  It's fun but it's work, too.  Often this involves making something or refashioning the old into something fresh and new.  Creative work is work all the same.

The chifforobe awaits at least the finishing of the paint on the outside.  I might not complete the interior this month but the outside should be finished I think.

I am to have the boys for a few hours Wednesday afternoon as work schedules clashed with meetings and such.

I want to continue to look for special Christmas activities John and I might enjoy.

Zone work:  This week I shall begin in the living, dining room and front entry.  This will include some deep cleaning and that will help ready surfaces for decorating.

I plan meals:  

Beef Stew, Tossed Salad, Cornbread, Cranberry Upside Down Cake

on my own

Chili Mac, Pineapple Salad, Crackers

eat out/grocery day

Red Beans and Rice, Coleslaw, Applesauce (homemade)

BBQ Chicken,  Cheesy Mashed Potatoes, Steamed Cabbage

Smoke Mozzarella Ravioli with Roasted Butternut Squash and Onions, Green Salad, Crusty Bread

I plan leisure:  

And I do, truly.   It's so easy to get overwhelmed just with holiday stuff and household things in any month but with this extra added on work of the dumpster it shall be grueling if I don't take care to stay in balance and rest as hard as I work.   Fortunately I am a pro at making lists and working ahead.
I am going to gather all my favorite in house Christmas reads: A Christmas Carol, Little Women (just reading over the opening scene at Christmas, and a few others.  I mean to take time to read every single day.

It's also Christmas movie season.  I'll look over the lineup and make notes of which nights I want to be sure to catch certain films while they are airing.

I think in this extra busy season that an hour lying down must be an absolute necessity, don't you?  Not with a book but with an eye towards really resting.  So I'll play Christmas music for an hour each afternoon and have a lie down.

Well there you have it, dears.  It is an intro into what generally proves to be one of the most hectic months of the year and it's ours to shape into memories.

14 comments:

Rhonda said...

Loved this post ❤️ You can redecorate our tree anytime. It’s my least favorite thing to do.
You will definitely be decluttering the next 3 weeks.

Anonymous said...

If I were you... well I would not allow anxiety about unfamiliar streets prevent you from fulfilling a pleasant holiday wish. Perhaps consult a a paper map before hand, and have one with you? To me, the opportunity to see White Christmas in a theater would be such a treat! - Rina

terricheney said...

Rhonda, I went over the house in my mind and I really do have pretty much everything ready to go from here. That rickety bookcase, a set of mattresses (possibly two) and a dresser. I don't know what John has in his closet besides that bookcase but that is on his shoulders. I have a dishwasher, another rickety bookcase, an old barium barrel from a hospital about fifty years ago and an ottoman and a broken wood box that is too large and hefty to move on my own will definitely leave the shed. Again, I don't know what John has in his sheds. He's been generous and offered to let Katie and Sam both dump what they'd like in the thing while it's here. We do have a junkpile behind the shed that could do with clearing up, as well. So yes, busy busy we shall be but it's good to let go of the broken down stuff so we can replace it with nicer better things.


Rina, My husband and I do not see well at night. This particular town is notoriously ill let and we are not familiar with it at all, so if we can't do the mid afternoon matinee that is just fine. We can always find something closer to home in more familiar territory to do, even if at night.

Lana said...

We don't see well after dark anymore either. We can go out if we go by interstate, of which we have two that crisscross our county, but back roads no way. We are now at that age when we invite someone over for supper and they say no because they cannot drive beck home after dark. We need to switch to lunches. In January we are going to see Glenn Miller Orchestra with our besties and we bought tickets for the 3 PM matinee. These life adjustments just kind of sneak up on one as we age. My husband doesn't remember so many things that we have done in the last 40 years but he does remember one dark night that we felt our way down through the mountains after foolishly going to a concert up in NC. We live and we learn!

Anonymous said...

So far hubby can see to drive at night. I haven't for years. Still though we don't stay out long after supper time. There are days like today when it is time to relax. Do what is Needed and little else. I used to worry that things will not get done but now there is no way around the need to rest when rest is needed. I seldom sleep during the day but can sit and rest or read and be quiet. I also sit and do hand mending which I collect for times like this.

The grandchildren will grow up close to each other but time alone with you is good and special for her to have. I am so glad that Taylor opened up and felt close to you and could show it now.

Our weather is now finally cooling and staying pretty much like that. I goofed and somehow lost your blog under where we comment so can't refer to your letter for what I wanted to comment on. :-) Seems the computer decides things for me all too often. Like spellcheck does. When I reread what I Thought and Know I had typed instead some of the words are different and so the intent of what I wrote off. :(( Sometimes I have to retype a word several times as it insists IT knows what I want to say. NO !

I usually find several things for the kid's presents throughout the year. This year I have been able to find several things for one but not anymore. Lopsided for sure. We usually give unexpected but practical gifts or something they want but may not get for themselves. None of us has ever spent much. One year my sister donated goats to a third world country and so on. She knows I have a fondness for goats. :) We all will confess that we have all we ever need but I know getting something to unwrap is nice too! It was easy finding things when the kids were 3 but not when the youngest is now 43. LOL

I sure liked opening the computer to find a new post from you. It was like an old friend had come to visit. Sarah

Out My window said...

Isn't it great to have the grand kids finally accept you? I love that you redecorate your tree. That is so cute.

Karen in WI said...

Terri, it sounds like you had such a lovely visit with Katie and Taylor. I hope you feel 100% by the time you have the boys this week. I miss having little ones around!

So glad that the skip is finally coming. It will feel so good to declutter, I’m sure. Now if only it hadn’t coincided with the holiday season, but I don’t think you will complain!

I have some Christmas things set out in my parlor and “Sunday Dinner” room, but the weather hasn’t been cooperating with going out to the front porch and putting up garland and lights. I’m going to try to at least get the garland up today as I see colder weather is coming and i had better get it done so I am not absolutely freezing as I have been so many other years. We are planning to gather our youngest three boys and go to a dairy farm that sells Christmas trees this time of year. Hopefully we will have decorating done this weekend as the annual “chocolate factory” starts then too. It’s a tradition in our family to make lots of chocolates (I took a chocolate making class years ago) and give them away. I made my last batch of homemader soap last week, and need to finish with lip balm, salve, body butter, salt bath bags, sugar scrub, and lotion bars in the next few days. They make wonderful presents and I get lots of requests for them. I read how you plan on taking a small daily nap, and I’m thinking that sounds soo good!

My husband took me to see the play, Christmaas at Pemberley, last weekend for a late birthday present. It was nice, but a bit too much comedy as I really do appreciate the original Pride & Predjudice. Hopefully you and your husband will find something special to do together. It’s so nice to take time out of all the preparations, isn’t it? Welll, off to make dinner. Thank you for the lovely post. I too feel like it was a visit with a friend. God Bless!

Beckyathome said...

I am not sure what Wordpress is doing, but I'm having trouble with signing into Google! I'm sorry you are having trouble, though. It's frustrating. I can sign in for your blog, but on many others, I simply cannot leave comments the way I used to. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. In the meantime, I am about 75% full of the free blog that I use, so I am trying to look into options about what I'm going to do next anyway. I suppose I have most of a year to figure it out, so I'm searching into options. The only thing I know I'm not doing is paying $45/month for the upgrade! But, I'll find a way to keep blogging because I really enjoy writing, and my mother really likes keeping updated on the grandkids and everyone's lives by reading the blog. She's my biggest fan.

I hope you can find something fun to do. Last summer, we bought tickets to the Portland Singing Christmas Tree when they were on sale. We went on Saturday, and so enjoyed it. That was something we have only done a couple of other times, but decided that would be our special thing this year. Sadly, Rob pushed the wrong button and we ended up with tickets for Saturday night at 7pm. I was a little anxious, for all the reasons everyone mentioned above, but the night ended up clear and lovely, it was freeway most of the way, and there was no trouble at all. Rob can see fine, anyway, I'm the one who doesn't feel comfortable at night.

Yes, Rob has lost quite a bit more. He's up to about 64 lbs down now. I'm so proud of him. He has worked so hard.

On the diabetes subject: I have had some strange news lately. I have now been diagnosed as a type 1, adult-onset diabetic. I know my other doctor suspected it, but never mentioned it again after one time, so I figured I was the same type 2 I've been since I was in my 30's. I did think I had to take a lot of medicine, and lots of insulin, though, but didn't really have anyone to compare myself to. This new doctor sent me for blood work, and it's confirmed. Although I'm not sure what it really means in the long run, and I don't know much about it, I've been told it has an autoimmune component, and I guess I'm just going to be on insulin forever--and plenty of it, as type 1 is different from type 2 in that way. I'm still figuring things out. It's odd to think you are one thing for almost 20 years, and then find out that you are another. In the end, I'm not sure it matters on a day-to-day basis, but it's got me thinking, anyway! They are sending me to a dietician, and I'm gladly going, since I haven't had those kind of classes since the beginning. Another odd point, is that the gluten-intolerance is something that often goes with this diagnosis. Lots to think about!

Debby in Kansas, USA said...

Terri, I love your wallpaper. I'm wishing I had a flannel Christmas comforter like it. It's just beautiful!

Christmas details are so under control this year, I'm sort of at a loss as what to do!! Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad for it. I pulled a muscle or did something in my glut...that's the short word for BUTT. It hurts like crazy and I limp after walking too long. So, it's good that I've got things under control. It's just strange not to have the regular panic! A good strange. I might keep the plan in place permanently. I got a Christmas card this week from a friend that said, "Aren't you smart sending out Thanksgiving cards instead of Christmas?! I might steal that idea to take the pressure off." I enjoyed that compliment!!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I must be the Grinch. When my kids left home they took all the Christmas stuff they had accumulated with them and now my tree is snowmen, red and white balls and white lights. Some years it is mauve and pink poinsettias, pearl strands and my early 1900's Christmas cards. I guess I am not a very sentimental person. LOL. Gramma D

terricheney said...

Gramma D, No need to feel like the Grinch. I don't have one sentimental ornament myself. John has a mere handful of items, four stockings and a plastic Santa that he painted florescent paint then wiped off, lol.

Becky, my gracious! That's a twist on things with your diabetes now being diagnosed as type 1. I have put YOU on my prayer list as you navigate this. I know you will do all you can on your part to insure you do well. Not at all surprised to hear how much Rob has lost. I hope his hip pain is a little better.

Debby, I have had that pain in the behind myself and it does hurt.

Karen, thoroughly enjoyed your note but the stand out for me was "Sunday Dinner Room". I LOVE that! lol

Out My Window, It is really lovely to have those grands who were most reluctant to have anything to do with you finally open up.

Sarah, AGREED! At three anything Lego would wow Sam...Now at 34, I really don't know!

Karen in WI said...

Terri, when we moved into this house, I was tickled that it had a large covered porch with gingerbread on it. I had always wanted a Victorian style home, which this is not, but decided to go ahead and call the front room a parlor instead of living room. The boys named the Sunday dinner room, normally the dining room, as we usually eat Sunday dinner there and I try to make it a bit special. Otherwise we usually eat in our eat’in kitchen. I just think it’s a lovely, old fashioned thing to have Sunday dinner! Hugs to you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri,
I'm so enjoy catching up on your blog...its been far too long! You truly inspire me with your daily/weekly rounds!
I also enjoy reading the comments! Debby's in Kansas, I am feeling for you as I pulled the piroformus muscle in my bottom and it has taken months to heal...due to the fact that we use it pretty all the time. I have found much relief using a strong Arnica gel as well as an arnica based cream called Penetrex. I found it on Amazon. The gel is very reasonably price at$6.95. The Penetrx is much stronger, in my opinion, (costs about $20 for one jar) but a little goes a long way and it truly offers such relief!
Sending good thoughts to all of you good souls.
Thank you Terri, again, for your wonderful blog.
Love,
Tracey
Xox

terricheney said...

Karen, I love the story even more than the term "Sunday Dinner Room". That's a lovely bit of house history to have. I think every home should have a story or two attached to it!

Tracey, Dearest kindred spirit, so good to see you stop by! Merry Christmas, love!