This Week In My Home: Ding Dong, Ding Dong



Santa Claus photos were taken on Friday afternoon.  Josh balked at first but the idea of Isaac getting a candy cane while he got none was too much.  He went to sit on Santa's lap and the photo was gotten.  We walked through Bass Pro with only a few 4 year old incidents.  At one point, going through the women's department next to the big fish tanks, Josh spied hats.   "Look!  I wanna cowboy hat!" he said and put one on his head and Isaac's and then gave one to me.



                                                   Here we are, we three amigos

It rained all day long yesterday and was foggy, as well.  Miserable weather to go to Macon in and miserable weather to come home in, but it was fun.  I enjoy having this Santa photo as my special thing with the boys.  I loved having one on one time with Bess as we ate lunch, and with Sam on the way home.  It was dark when we returned, though it was but 5:15.  I walked indoors just in time to have Shabat and John called just as I lit candles so he was part of that moment.

I was truly tired last night and off to bed quite early and slept hard.  John came in this morning to a big breakfast of French toast.  He was bone weary but it was sheer determination when the Fed Ex truck drove up in the yard and got stuck...Did I mention it rained all day yesterday?  That was a heavy sprinkle all day long.  After we got home it poured and it was pouring when I got up at 1:30.  The yard had standing water just about everywhere yesterday morning.

So the truck pulled up and she was good and stuck following her stop.   John managed to get her going again and then he fetched a shovel and started filling in the deep tracks left behind before coming wearily into the house.  She said that she'd gotten stuck in another yard this morning...I'll lay odds she got stuck several more times today which no doubt slowed her delivery times a great deal.

I plan my work week: 

It's Harvest week with errands to run and groceries to be bought.  And I must buy groceries because I need several items to do...

Christmas cookie baking and making of appetizers for the family party.

Finish Christmas shopping and get packages wrapped.

Take Mama shopping.

Get guest room in order and make sure that mattresses are inflated for grandchildren.

I plan meals:

Roasted Chicken with roasted Vegetables

Spaghetti with Meat Sauce, Salad

on my own x2

probably one meal out with John on grocery day

Salisbury Steak, Mashed Potatoes, Green Peas

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

I really need to work on planning our suppers.  Of late, when John looks at me at 5pm and says "Any plans for supper?" my reply has been in the negative.  I don't have things readily available on evenings when I'm tired  and don't feel like making anything.  So this week I want to take time to make up a few sandwich fillings or at least plan some easy simple suppers and make sure I have items on hand.  I'm thinking a once a week prep time would take care of that situation.

I plan my leisure:


I have not pulled out my Christmas books at all.  I keep saying I will but so far, no.   I started an Emilie Loring book, which seems to be about all I've read this year.  Truthfully not sure what I will do this week for leisure.  I have a great deal to do and want to get as much as I can accomplished so that I can relax over the weekend and enjoy my family.

John and I have been trying to find suitable Christmas movies on Netflix and Prime.  So far, we've watched "The Christmas Candle" based on a book by Max Lucado and still another version of "A Christmas Carol" starring Seymour Hicks.   We also viewed "The Nutcracker" by NYC Ballet.   If I do nothing else this week I will sit with a cup of hot chocolate each evening and enjoy the glow of the Christmas tree lights.

12 comments:

Angela said...

Oh what an adorable picture!!! I just love it! Merry Christmas to you and yours dear Terri!

Mable said...

Love the hat picture! I am lucky that my husband will eat the same meal two days running, so during the week I make a pot of soup on Monday (and eat it again Tuesday), Wednesday (eat again Thursday) and Friday (and eat it for lunch on Saturday). This reduces planning, waste, cleaning and cooking time. Saturday night meal and Sunday main meal are our fancy meals (as in meat loaf of baked chicken or casserole). Whenever I make a casserole I make two at the same time and freeze one. It is wonderful to have a ready meal on days when I don't feel well or want to make soup.

Rhonda said...

Love the photo of you and 2 of your grands. I think your Santa photo tradition is a sweet one.

But, I live in cowboy country and y’all are not wearing cowboy hats, maybe Raiders of the Lost Ark hats? I don’t know hat names very well, except for cowboy hats.

I’m sure the FedEx driver was very thankful for John’s help.
We have had some very hectic days here- all is well though.

Liz from new york said...

I think the picture of you and your grand babies is so precious! That is what life is all about! Best, Liz

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

What a wonderful keepsake picture!

Beckyathome said...

I love the picture! You look like you guys are having a wonderful time, out and about. I'm glad you got the pictures you went there for:)

It sounds like you are doing great in your preparations for guests over the holidays. I have quite a few things to do myself this upcoming week--finish Christmas prep, get the camper ready for our guests, our normal schedule during the upcoming week, and my husband has 3 doctor's appointments, 2 of which are lengthy, which means I will have more to do here while he does those. So, I'll just get on it first thing Monday and get as much out of the way as possible, so I won't feel stressed.

Have a great week!

Kathy said...

What a sweet picture, and what great memories! Glad you had a good day.
Hope you have a wonderful week and a very special family gathering.

jnkbake said...

Love the picture of you and your grands with hats! So cute. We spend the holidays just being busy,busy. My husband and I play Santa and Mrs. Claus. Yesterday was our big community Christmas party for the kids in our area. Riding the fire truck is always fun! The past two weeks have been hectic as my husband receives donations for this time of year. We passed out bicycles to three different organizations yesterday and everyone is so appreciative and happy this time of year. I'm hoping to get MY Christmas shopping done tomorrow (it's the only day I have available for ME!) We still have a few parties to go to up to Christmas eve. The day after Christmas we get to rest!
Have a Very Merry Christmas!!!

Carolyn @ Our Gilded Abode said...

What an adorable picture of you and the littles!!! You should frame that for the little guys ... a sweet keepsake!

Elizabeth said...

"The Christmas Chronicles" with Kurt Russell was a cute movie on Netflix. Enjoy the holidays with your family!

Debby in Kansas said...

Love the pic with the grands! Someday they'll look at that pic and say, "Grandma, you're SO young!" I remember doing that with my Grandma...in my mind, she was always old!!

We saw a new to us Hallmark movie that we enjoyed. It was called, "The Journey Back to Christmas." My dad recommended it and we found it at our library. We were also tickled to find one of our favorite movies, also Hallmark, at our library. It's called, "The Christmas Card" with Ed Asner. Neither one is the typical cookie cutter Christmas love story that Hallmark puts out.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri! What a great post and that photo of you and the boys is priceless! Thank you so much for sharing it!
You accomplish so much that I am constantly inspired by you!
Wishing you and your beautiful family a blessed and happy Christmas.
Love,
Tracey xox

Coffee Chat: Just Chatting