Favorite Finds for March and April


It's been a couple of months since my last Favorite Finds post.  I have a few items I'd like to share with you.

 Fridge drawer liners.


I picked mine up at Aldi and I admit they were totally an impulse buy.  I'd checked them simply because I was curious but when I read that they were washable and reusable, I was eager to give them a try.   I love them.  I cut them to fit my drawers and they have stayed put which is something nothing else I've lined the drawers with have done.  The ones I've linked to look very similar to the ones I grabbed at Aldi but mine are not adhesive.  It's just a nice thick layer of material.  They absorb really well.  I'd buy a second set of these just to have as spares.

Special K Honey Almond Ancient Grains cereal.

 I eat the bulk of my carbs in the early part of the day but I decided after one too many episodes of  higher blood sugars to try going the route of adding protein to my breakfast choices.  I can only eat so many eggs... I want cereal now and then.  I recalled that we'd eaten the Protein Special K when we did Atkins a few years ago and that my blood sugars had remained fairly stable after eating, so at the first of the year I bought several boxes of the cereal on sale.  I found they had a nice variety of flavors.   This Honey Almond Ancient Grain variety is new to me.   It has 15 g of protein per serving.  I found this last month at Publix during a buy one get one sale.  This cereal has a nice toasty (reminiscent of granola) flavor, is barely sweet and  very satisfying.  No link since you should be able to find this both online and in store without a problem.

White chocolate M&Ms

You know I don't often share  a candy item but this was a happy find.  More and more of late I find that I don't want chocolate.  I do want something sweet.  I generally will reach for peanut butter M&Ms for myself and Peanut for John but this was something that caught my eye the other day and appealed to me.  I like white chocolate.  I find a little satisfies my sweet tooth and I'm done.  This was a nice change and appealed far more than caramel or coffee or coconut flavors.

Bras:  About three years ago I won a giveaway for a Warner No Side Effects Bra from Bridgette Rae's blog. The one I ended up with in my size was an underwire.  I'm not terribly fond of underwire bras though I must say this one was quite comfortable.  I wore it only occasionally so it held up for quite a long while.  I loved the way it corralled that underarm bulge.

This year I needed to get a fresh lot of bras.   I confess to avoiding shopping but eventually I had no choice.   I could clearly see the lack of support I was getting and feeling it as well.  So I measured myself and off I went.  I started at Walmart which is my least favorite place to purchase bras.  I just hated to spend a great load of money on two or three and didn't feel up to a trip to Macon, which is where I'd shopped in the past.  So Walmart it was...

Finding my size is a pain in the glutinous maximus.  I finally found three options in my size.  I was not at all surprised to find that 2 out of 3,  though good name brands, were total failures.  The price of both those options was average.  But one bra surprised me Warner's Blissful Benefits bra


Forget the cup size ladies.  Forget band measurement.  These bras are sized as S M L XL and XXL.  I was completely doubtful until I tried on the one I brought home.  Truth told this is the one bra I expected to be a total fail.  It was not.  I opted for XXL because I felt it was likely closer to my size 44 measurement.  The bra is supportive.  I can tell you assuredly that it can handle a far larger cup size than mine (D).     It does have a slightly padded cup which I don't mind at all.  The sides are high enough to corral in those underarms that often want to bulge. I often forget I have my bra on and we all know that is saying something!  I was so pleased with the one I purchased in store, I went online and ordered five more.  Yes, I ordered five.  I like to rotate my bras and I find it especially necessary to allow my bras to air in summer.     The cost is extremely reasonable.

Finally, this method of regenerating an old African Violet...



Both my African violets had gotten long ungainly trunks.  I had no clue what to do with them.  Then I read this method of regenerating growth.  I was worried about doing this and afraid I was going to lose the violets but truth told they were dying as it was.  So I used this method of essentially beheading them both, took the crowns and  repotted them as per instructions.  I  was dubious but I noted that the leaves slowly stopped dying and this past week I had buds come up on one of them, so it does work, scary as it seems to do this.

I'm sure I've left off something but these things were the ones that came to mind when I sat down to write out this post...I'm going to try and keep better track of what I consider outstanding in the next couple of months.   I sincerely hope that some of you find one or more of these items helpful.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your favorites posts. I will sure check some of them out! I clicked and looked at the bra too. Funny that Warners has several bras with the same Blissful Benefits name. I looked around that area of our local store the other day but missed this one... any Blissful ones! :) Does it have hooks in back of it or do you just slip it over the head or pull it up?

I saw the crisper liners and passed on them without giving them any thought. I won't the next time I see them. Now I wish I had gotten them.

We have ben trying out the Special K varieties since you mentioned the other ones. So far we have tried 2 but not the one you mentioned here yet. They are good!

I like the Warner brand No Muffin Top panties too. I don't see where they shape my muffin top but they are made longer cause of how they are cut to supposedly do that. They stay in place and cover all. My favorite now. I wish they would sell more of the all cotton ones though. I see the nylon type mostly. I did notice that I need one size larger in the nylon type ones than the cotton. When you lay them one type on top of the other they look the same. But the cotton ones stretch more and the others don't. Sarah

Chef Owings said...

I ordered the bra to see Mine definitely need replaced and I hate shopping for bras, Okay I hate clothing shopping especially bras and jeans LOL. Our Walmart had arson the other day and is closed until further notice.They did catch the guy in another Walmart parking lot over in Dublin OH.We eat the Special K when I have a coupon and it's on sale.

Mable said...

Thank you for the bra shout-out! I have been looking for new ones but all seemed uncomfortable.

terricheney said...

Sarah, I likely had passed those crisper drawer liners before because they were mixed into a section where leftovers of previous sales land. I think it was the pattern of the things that caught my eye and I took time to pick up a packet and read and said "For $3 I'll try it..." Those on Amazon come in a larger size package (I think mine was just 2 for that price).

Juls, I hope you like the bra as much as I do. Wow on the arson. Was he planning to set fire to the other one as well?

Mable, I hope you too will give the bra a try. I got my books! I've meant to tell you two dozen times...and I'm going to go send a proper email to you now but hope you see this message as well.

Shirley in Washington said...

Hi Terri - Thank you for your favorites posts! I always enjoy seeing what other homemakers are buying and enjoying. Thank you especially for the favorite bra suggestion. I let my bras get really worn before I replace them because I don't like to shop for bras and they can be so expensive! I have a question for you on this bra. Do you find the shoulder straps to be comfortable? I wear a large bra size and sometimes have trouble with the straps not being comfortable or cutting into my shoulders. Just wondering! I ordered one from Walmart to try. Happy Mother's Day to You! Blessings, Shirley in Washington

terricheney said...

Shirley the straps are adjustable and elastic. I don't have a problem with them digging in...but I'm not really heavy chested. I'm glad you ordered one and I hope it works as well for you as it has for me. At least at this cost, it's not an expensive mistake if it doesn't work out!

Shirley in Washington said...

Hi Terri - Thank you for your response and your thoughts on the bra! Shirley