The Home Stretch: The Kitchen Harvest



I had a miss the other day and John caught me and remarked upon it.  I had steamed peas and poured off the water down the drain.  "Couldn't you have used that for something?" he asked, quite rightly...And I nodded.  "Yes, I could have.  I could have saved it in a container in the freezer to use as broth for soups or gravies.  I could even have fed my plants with it.  I shouldn't have just let it go down the drain like that!"   I thought about it a little later and realized that I'd slipped in an area where I especially want to be diligent to save these days:  in the food area.

So this put in my mind of what I call harvesting in my kitchen...

What do I mean by a kitchen harvest?  It's where I take odds and ends that might normally not be used  and make something more from them.  Some of this we all do naturally: we turn bones into broth.  That broth is a kitchen harvest.



Top and root ends of onions, celery, carrots: I put those things into a bag and save to season chicken or beef broth.  Add in cabbage leaves,  potato peels if you'd like, tomato tops and tip ends of squash or green beans and you now have a bag of vegetables suitable to making veggie broth.

Pour off the liquid from a can of beans or peas (or after you steam them) and save that nutrient rich liquid for making soup.  I used to keep a gallon bucket in my freezer for just that purpose.  I'd add in any little spoonful of leftover vegetables from our meals.    I need to go back to that habit.  How often does a recipe call for us to drain tomatoes or vegetables before adding to a casserole or sauce?  I wouldn't save the dried bean broth because that tends to be a little too thick and starchy but most all else would do nicely.  And too often there's a mere spoonful of vegetables left that didn't make it onto our plates.  Those would go into that soup bucket (or jar) as well.  Yes, indeed I need to get back into that habit!

The other day as I watched Jacques Pepin and Julia Childs they were taking off the tough outer leaves of lettuces.  "My mother used to drop these into the soup pot, " said Pepin.  "I'll just save these to use in the same way or to steam peas for supper..."  There's a bit of home harvest right from a popular French Chef!

Bread ends are seldom favored for sandwiches.  Most people discard them, but I have saved those for years now. They translate into home made croutons, are made into fresh or dried bread crumbs, become a tasty strata (basically a savory bread pudding) or sweet bread pudding, or I used the whole slices to make French Toast.  I have a vintage cookbook that lists an Apple Brown Betty recipe and it begins with leftover bread crumbs.  Now that we're making 2/3 of our bread here at home, I find that sometimes my bread dries out before we finish it up. I put those pieces into the freezer and then use in a variety of recipes.

That same cook book lists a bread or cake crumb cookies amongst it's pages...Did you ever think you'd save those cookie crumbs from the jar to make another cookie?  Well it's an idea!

I save apple peels and cores and the occasional slightly wrinkled whole apple to make apple jelly.  I have also saved stone fruits and berries that didn't get eaten.  I know that jelly should always begin with top quality fruit but I've noticed that it jells just the same if I use a wrinkled apple or plum!  And berries are terrific in a cobbler or smoothie and no one really cares that they were a little past prime usage when they show up at the table dressed in cobbler fashion.  Very ripe Bananas go into the freezer to become smoothies or nut bread or muffins or even pound cakes.

When I do as I did yesterday and take leftovers to make an entree for supper and another pan for the freezer...I call it a Kitchen Harvest!

If I find I am running low on buttermilk, I add fresh sweet milk to the carton, cap it off, let it sit overnight or all day long on the counter and refrigerate it the next morning.  That's a Kitchen Harvest, too.  Do the same with a bit of sour cream and you'll have a supply of creme fraiche.  It's a good bit thinner than sour cream but delicious.

I had more heavy whipping cream on hand than I could easily use (downside to finding carageenan free product is that I have to buy more than I'd normally buy).  I whipped the cream I didn't plan to use right away and then dropped dollops onto a sheet of waxed paper on a cookie sheet.  I popped that into the freezer and when frozen removed to put into a whipped cream bowl I'd saved.

When we use leftover egg whites to make a meringue or nut kiss cookies, you've just made a Kitchen Harvest from something that could easily have gone unused.

Long ago, when the kids were home, I used to scrub our potatoes well then purposely peeled them a bit thicker than usual.  The baked peels were sprinkled with finely grated cheese, tiny onion bits and we'd have an afternoon snack or 'fancy' side dish from what might have gone directly in to the compost.

The starchy water that potatoes cooked in can be allowed to sit on the counter and be fed as a sour dough starter.

You can plant potatoes that have gotten wild looking with lots of eyes.  Or save tomato and bell pepper seeds or plant green onion root ends and romaine butts.  You can plant apple seeds or citrus seeds if your climate will allow you to grow either.  Stone fruits will grow from saved stones.  You can even plant a bit of ginger root!  You're supplying yourself with an ongoing harvest when you do that.

Compost and chicken scraps is an excellent use of your kitchen scraps as well.  It's just another harvest of a different sort.  I thought, when I offered to save scraps for Bess' chickens that I would run short on compostable items.  Not so.  I produce a big coffee can for our compost twice a week and about as much for the chickens.

And don't think it's all about just food.  Each time I save a jar, a plastic container,  a plastic bread sack or cereal bag, a twist tie or tab from a bread sack, or reuse a paper towel tube to make napkin rings or as a craft item...I call those a Kitchen harvest, too.  Ditto for reusing plastic shopping bags, newspapers, paper sacks.

There are many more things that one might do in a kitchen to harvest at home, but you'll certainly have a good idea of how to start with this list.  Happy Harvesting!!

17 comments:

Lana said...

You might know the lady who won the HGTV dream house. Susan O’Gorman of Perry, Georgia.

terricheney said...

I don't but how exciting for her!

Angela said...

When my children were living at home, once a week we had "buffet" night. Mama cleaned out the frig and everyone got to choose their dinner. For one night I didn't worry too much about what they ate as it was all good, homemade food. If they chose mac and cheese with mashed potatoes so be it. My children loved it and still talk about it.
Now with two and sometimes three of us, that just doesn't work so I have tried something new. Last night I had about 1 1/2- 2 serving of 3 things for the three of us plus leftover soup. Each of us had the soup and a "tapas" plate. Those small servings would cost big money in a fancy restaurant! LOL

terricheney said...

Angela, Tapas ARE expensive, lol.

Mable said...

This is a vegan, very tasty way to make dessert from the leftover juice from canned chickpeas: https://alexandracooks.com/2016/09/23/vegan-chocolate-mousse-aquafaba-almond-milk/ I don't use almond milk, I use regular milk and it is still wonderful.

Karen in WI said...

Terri, I never thought to freeze whip cream that way! I use whip cream a lot at our house as I tend to make extra pie fillings so we can have them over waffles or pancakes with whip cream. We seem to have leftover cream so I’m very happy to learn this tip. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I put vegetable juice over my dogs' dry food. They love it and nothing goes to waste. They love green beans, as well. I do the soup bucket thing, too. It tastes different every time, but is always delicious.

Shell

Anonymous said...

Maybe someone can help me. I saw a recipe that used the clean peelings from raw potatoes. I think they put it on a cookie sheet and sprinkled it with oil like you can do with veggies and ate it. Probably at 400degrees like you do green beans with bacon etc. Potato Crisps or something like that they called them. Maybe they put herbs or spices or ? on it too ? Sounded good but now I don't remember how it was done!! Another thing to do with leftovers.

I am feeling rich. Hubby put in a new stove top in our house today. Replaced the old one..same size 31" and basic but New. It even has the new :) "electronic ignition" which my old one did not. ;) My old one had rusted through! Felt like a chef cooking tonight! LOL

Unless we get the low or no salt beans in a can I drain the 'juice' out. It is one way of really cutting back on salt. I hate to do it but do on beans. One other kind of hot beans we like but not so Hot! So I drain a bit of the sauce & wash off some of the beans of it. But I save the sauce for other things that I do want some hotness to. I got some great ideas from this post. At this time I am really enjoying racking my brain as if it was a game to save all or use all. Getting creative ! The juice left over from making chili verde I saved and froze and topped enchiladas with later. Best we have ever had !! But I am still hungry for roast chicken since your post on how to use a whole chicken ! Sarah

ladybug said...

I need a good bread pudding and sauce recipe. The one I tried last weekend was really not edible. Care to share yours?

lejmom said...

Loving this home stretch series...reminding me of things I did when my family was small, and am learning new ideas, too! I had gotten away from some of these thrifty ideas---time to get back on track! For ALWAYS!

Lana said...

Terri, Because John is a first responder you can shop at Sam's on Sundays from 8-10 AM and no membership is required. Maybe you have a club near your church.

terricheney said...

I haven't had time yet today to look up anything you all have asked for or suggested (except the chocolate mousse...OMWord that looks awesome...But I will get back with you. Bess does a really good bread pudding with brioche bread and a rum sauce. I'll ask for her recipe link. I confess I never have cared for bread pudding but that one is one I look forward to her sharing with us! Sarah congratulations on the new cooktop! Lana I wondered about that even though he's part time. But no the nearest Sam's is in Macon. We've talked about going...It would be awesome to buy 25 pounds of flour at a time. I was limited to 10 pounds at Aldi today.

Lana said...

Terri, I did not see any limitations for first responders shopping hours except that only John could go in which would make it hard to shop. Bread flour at my club is $7.78 for 25 pounds. If I go on the website for my store there is a limit of one which you may not consider worth going for.

terricheney said...

Lana, I don't think I could send John in on his own. He'd stay on the phone with me the whole while asking questions I couldn't answer since I can't see what he's seeing. I know this just from sending him on Sundays in the past to get fried chicken! The price is most excellent but I guess I'll check around to see if I can find as good a price elsewhere. I kind of doubt it...

Lana said...

Terri, the website would be the place to shop and make a list. Yeast is crazy cheap at 2 pounds for around $5. I believe their fresh chicken breasts may be carageenan free and my store they are 1.78 a pound. Spices are a great deal. Real maple syrup, coffee as in k cups. I understand though. That kind of shopping is no fun!

Anonymous said...

Our Aldi's here has not had flour for a month. They had 4 lb sugar off and on but as with most things, 1 to a family. Our Sam's is still out of any flour as is Costco. So hope any of you that can can get stocked up on these basics. I heard some say that they are happy they had a pantry but it is getting slim. They need to remember to keep restocking when they find something they are low on when they do get out. Even the one only would help.

Did I tell you about the time I got all the ends of bread out of the freezer and made a bread pudding? Next time I will check what bread I am using up. Some of it was rye bread with lots of caraway seeds in it. Made for a very different bread pudding. LOL

To put the new cook top in I had to get everything out of the two very deep shelves that are under it. It gave me a chance to recheck what was there. Found a few surprises..good surprises. :) Also found some things that I can give away like excess cookie cutters and utensils and such. That made room for several other things that needed a place to live. ;) Sarah

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

It was great to read your ideas. I have done many of them before, but I needed the reminders.
Be blessed and well in Jesus' name!
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage
Southern Missouri

Thrifty Thursday: Try Harder