Worth Sharing This Week: Strawberry Season




This past weekend would have been the annual Strawberry Festival.  It's been ongoing for about as long as we've been here in this county and it's the one thing we usually attend.  It's pure small town festival stuff.   A couple of city blocks of bouncy houses, pony rides, live music, craft booths, the aroma of BBQ and cotton candy, popcorn and Fried Chicken in the air, along with a load of screeching children.  People crowd in from out of town.  There are lawnmower races, a teddy bear parade, classic car show, picnics in the park, and my favorite thing of all, the annual Women's Club book sale.

Not this year.  Not the first time it's been cancelled either as weather has shut it down a few times but you know it wasn't weather this year it was Covid 19.  We'll mark that one in the history of our little annual festival.



But it's made me think all week long of strawberries and my habit of hoarding them in season though I assure you I love them.

First strawberry memory:   Grandmother C had a lot in town with an area that was raised above the rest of the yard. I think honestly it was due to the hillside on which she lived but one year the raised area was planted with strawberries and I remember the aroma of sun on strawberry plants quite clearly, as well as the sweet tiny red berries which she'd pick and I'd eat.  I was probably 2 or maybe 3 at the time, but I clearly remember the warmth of the sun, the smell of the plants and the taste of that tiny red berry. 

Granny planted strawberries one year in the yard where she'd once watered cows.  The dirt there was rich and black the berries grew and spread and spread.  Tiny, sweet, and delicious.

But strawberries were not typical fare for our households.  Strawberries were rare things, grown for a season and then they were gone.  Otherwise strawberries came in a can on the grocery shelf, or in a carton from the freezer shelf.  The berries were mushy and sickly sweet in their syrupy liquid but it was what we knew as strawberries so we ate them.

Another memory is of Mrs. Waters' Strawberry Cake which she made routinely and brought to church dinners (held once a month at my childhood church).   I NEVER bypassed that cake without getting a lovely slice of the pinkly perfect stuff.  I made one long ago and have made up my mind I must make another one but now I cannot find the recipe.   Hers had a 10 ounce carton of strawberries as well as a package of strawberry gelatin.   I've found a similar recipe on the Southern Living site this week that includes FRESH berries and just two tablespoons of jello.   Mrs. Waters' cake also called for strawberries and strawberry gelatin in the frosting, too.  Southern Living's recipe does not.  I think I can fudge it though and make a similar sort of cake to Mrs. Waters.

Much later, when I was a married woman with a house full of children and a small budget, and Strawberries came into season and sold cheaply in the grocery store, I would buy  2 big quart sized boxes and make rich shortcakes, split and fill with berries and freshly whipped cream and we would have a Strawberry Shortcake Supper.   That's all I put on the table that night, just Strawberry Shortcake.    My kids loved it, as it marked spring time for them.   Two years ago Sam told Josh I'd done such a thing once upon a time.  Last year, Josh told his dad to call me.  "Tell her, Dad, that's time to have a strawberry party."  So I made a big shortcake and had he and Isaac down for a party were we ate cake for supper.  I plan to do that again this year.  I'm buying berries and whipping cream tomorrow.  Some things just need to continue to be shared.

13 comments:

Angela said...

Awww we picked berries every year and had homemade strawberry ice cream for supper. And nothing else.So good!

Lana said...

My favorite Aunt had a field across the street from her house that was full of wild strawberries. I have never tasted strawberries like those since my childhood days of picking and eating every one we found.

Carol in NC said...

I love the strawberry party idea! You're right: some things must continue to be shared. Those boys will remember this tradition as long as they live, just has Sam has.

Tammy said...

And you have continued a tradition with the next generation. I love that. ♥

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I love your strawberry party idea. Wonderful memories for your kids and now your grand kids.

My Grandma, who lived down in the country, always had strawberries from her strawberry bed and real thick whipping cream from their cows for us when we would visit. Grandma probably had shortcake too, but I loved the strawberries and cream so much I didn't eat any shortcake.

She would have probably been the age I am now. I can't even imagine how she was able to do all that she did around their "farmette" and still manage to make such big meals when my family, and my aunt and uncle's family came to visit her. She planted and grew and picked the strawberries. Grandpa milked the cows, but Grandma did everything else with the milk after that, including making butter. I don't know who killed and prepped the chicken, I remember grandma rolling out her dumplings. Grandma always wore an apron in the kitchen.

I am missing my daughter, son in law, and grandson so much right now.
My daughter and son in law have high risk jobs, so we could visit at a distance,but no hugging at this time. In past years I always made strawberries and whipped cream, from real cream, and store bought shortcake for my grandson when he came to the house at this time of year.

doe853 said...

Hi Terri,
Could this be close to the one you want to make?

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/mamaw-emily-s-strawberry-cake/

Dale

terricheney said...

Dale, I was just thinking of you the other day! That does seem closer minus the container of frozen strawberries. I can't recall if my former recipe was from scratch or cake mix. Definitely called for the whole box of gelatin though!

Angela, I love strawberry ice cream but only rarely buy any. I must treat myself!

Susie, My heart goes out to you, truly it does. I've had you in prayer for weeks now, for no reason I can tell you except I felt you needed it.

My Granny and Grandmother could out work me when in their 80's!

Tammy and Carol, perhaps one day I can add more of my grandchildren to this tradition but at least Josh and Isaac and one day Millie will remember it.

sparky136 said...

My Mom’s Strawberry Cake

1box white cake mix and 1 box Strawberry gelatin. mix together and set aside.

1cup Wesson oil
1/2 cup milk
4 eggs
1cup frozen strawberries
1cup coconut
1cup chopped pecans

Mix together. Add dry ingredients. Bake 350 for 30-35 minutes.

Icing
1 stick margarine
1 box confectioners sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup drained strawberries

Cream sugar and margarine. Add other ingredients.

terricheney said...

Sparky, That's a recipe I'd like to try. Not quite like Mrs. Waters' cake but golly I bet the coconut and pecans add to the tastiness of it. I love to do coconut and pecans with strawberries on my cereal. Never thought of combining them into a cake!

Debbie V. said...

Growing up in southern California we had a lot of strawberries around and made some great strawberry preserves.
My mom used store bought "shortcake" which were actually sponge cakes or sometimes angel food cake under the berries. But after I got married my mom-in-law baked shortcake from the Bisquick box which is much less sweeter but I enjoyed it much more with the sweet berries and whipped cream.
If I bake that strawberry cake - and the one with coconut sounds really good - I need to do it when my daughter comes over to share. We are eating way too much good food here.

terricheney said...

Debbie my mom bought those little cake cups that had basically no flavor at all, or if at Granny's we had pound cake with her berries and cream. I just thought the shortcake biscuit sounded good and my family seemed to appreciate it when I made it...Plus homemade is almost always so much less expensive.

Be Be said...

Enjoy reading your blog. Not one to usually comment but wanted you to know your sharing of your days and thoughts are something I look forward to and learn from - - -especially during this unusual time we are in.

We had a strawberry patch next to our garden growing up and my grandmother had a grape arbor. Many evenings spend picking strawberries or grapes. Wonder memories!

We don't grow either now but we are carrying on the tradition of making chocolate banana milk shakes for Sunday evening supper. That's it...except maybe a bowl of potato chips :)

Our granddaughters are learning this tradition as well since their parents and themselves have been sharing out home for the last year as they make the transition from another state to ours. Who know this would be a blessing for us all as we are together through the stay-at-home orders. Ohio is still on orders until May 29 with a few things opening up in Phases. Thankful we can hug our granddaughters and praying for those that are missing their families.

terricheney said...

BeBe Thank you for taking time to comment today. I know that you are indeed blessed by having family in your home at this time. Chocolate Banana Milkshake is as good a family tradition as any I can think of!