The Week Ahead: Staying Alive



Don't ask me why, but when I went to type in a title, all I could hear was the Bee Gees singing "Staying Alive" and I felt it was oddly appropriate, lol.  Because much as I long to leave home and eat a meal out and TALK to someone anyone somewhere, we do what we must to 'stay alive'.  We've been very fortunate in our family, in our county.

Katie was doing her shopping today (Saturday) and I had only a portion of my funds left so asked her to get a list of things for me.  Anyone else tossing the budget out the window at present?  Katie has given me a bit extra each time over what I asked but today she told me "This was way more than what you gave me to spend..."  She'd gone to a higher priced grocery first and followed her intuition in going ahead and buying produce there.  When she got to Aldi she found they were sold out.  I handed her extra cash and thanked her. I have never regretted following my own intuition, only in not following it, so I wouldn't dream of complaining because she followed hers.   She shared with me that her own groceries had cost her more than usual, too.



"Well, I guess we do what we must just now, Katie.  I thank you for getting what you could find and don't worry that it went over what I figured it might cost.   I've already made up my mind if Publix puts chicken breasts on sale before we get paid again, I'll just go on and buy it because we're going to need it."   I'd bypassed a sale last month because I waited on the pay period and now I've two breasts in the freezer and no more.

As I told John, our big splurges this month have been a single packet of cookies and a carton of ice cream, so we spent less than $5 on those splurges.  I don't suppose I'll complain over having good produce or organic ground beef. I hate to be too big a drain on Bess and Sam's supply of venison.   I'm so grateful I can borrow from a sub account or even pay out of pocket from my allowance just now for any extra we may pay.  And I'm sure those good vitamins from fresh fruit and vegetables will do us well in the long run.

John has asked me, once things slow down a bit with outages and such, to try and amp up our supplies before autumn/winter arrives and I'm in agreement with him that I shall do just that.  I've asked Sam to get us a deer or two and will pay to have them processed into ground meat.  I think I'll try to stock up on whole chickens and turkey breasts, too.  Frankly I've found I can get steak even during a crisis, but a whole chicken and a turkey breast is a bit harder to come by in this time and would be most appreciated.

Enough chatter...Time to think of what I need to do in the week ahead.


Work:

I've promised Josh we'd study cardinals on Monday.  Not hard to find that information.  It's the 'extra' things like nature lessons that are keeping him interested in coming to school here.  I want to sit down and try to plan out the weeks ahead.  I'd love to have a craft each week for him to do as well.  So planning time is much needed.  I am afraid while I'd given thought to helping school him during this time, that I hadn't given hard thought to what we'd do and we were in the midst of it before I'd looked beyond simply doing it.

Deadheading roses and iris.  I've an iris bed that needs to be divided and while I plan to do that this fall, I thought now would be a good time to plan out the next garden bed, which I will devote to iris and day lily and have loose plants that I've wintered over which need to be planted this spring.

Clean kitchen cabinets.  The doors are looking dingy once more.  Truth: they need painting... but I don't know if I'm ready to tackle that once more or not.   Honestly so many things need paint at present that I feel overwhelmed by it all.  Not to mention we're still in the throes of pollen season and that's not the time to paint anyway.

Continue to find new recipes to try.  I have to say that last week was a disappointing week on the culinary front.  I was deeply disappointed in at least two meals.  But I'm going to keep looking for good inexpensive meals I might make with what I have on hand.

If I decide to make bagels this week I'm going to invite Bess over to do it with me.  She wants to learn to make them and I'd love to have her here to see the process.  I'll likely do two recipes, one for her to take home, one for us and let her make her own.   She also wants to do pretzels.

Meals: 

Breakfasts: Bagels with Cream Cheese; Cinnamon Rolls, Chicken Sausage Links, orange Slices;  Eggs and Toast; Oatmeal with Blueberries; Waffles, Turkey Sausage Patties; Peanut Butter Toast and Bananas; Cheese Grits

Lunches: Usually leftovers of various sorts, but I also have soups and will make up some sandwich fillings such as pimento cheese, egg salad.  I try not to make loads of fillings because as soon as I do, we suddenly don't want it.

Dinners:  Corned Beef, Potato Salad, Pickled Beets
                 Roast Chicken, Dressing, Green Peas, Cranberry Sauce and Pears, Poundcake
                 Tuna Mornay Casserole using rice, Tossed Salad
                  I saw this variation on a vlog.  John commented it sounded good, so I'll give it a try.
                 Bbq Beef Cups, French Fries, Coleslaw
                 I bought canned biscuits and thought I'd use some to make this old treat using ground beef.
                 Chicken Enchiladas Verde, Yellow Rice, Red Cabbage Salad
                  I expect to get two servings from this...One for the freezer.
                 Macaroni and Cheese, Italian Roasted Vegetables, Salad
                  I'd wanted to make a lasagna but no noodles to work with.  John will be just as happy
                   with mac and cheese and I'll likely have an extra to put in the freezer.
                 Grilled Steak, Baked Potatoes, Salad
                 It was far too windy last Friday to grill...So I'll push this meal forward to this week.

6 comments:

Rhonda said...

Good evening
I’m so glad you’re posting so frequently, your voice is something steady in a very chaotic world.
I think most grocery prices are going to be higher, even as things settle down and I think there may be very noticeable gaps in the supply chain that has normally kept our markets so stocked. I hope I’m wrong though.
We also have plans to continue to deepen our pantry as is reasonable.

Lana said...

I am looking for alternatives to the high grocery prices. Eggs were 2.99 a dozen where we shopped this week. I will buy them from my neighbors who have chickens for 2.50 and they will be a lot better. So far we still have plenty of grocery budget but have not braved the long line at Aldi.

Unknown said...

i second that appreciation for your frequent posting at this time giving me a little something to look forward to enjoying so often! :> Julie Baker

Anonymous said...

I hope it is not a strain for you to post so often now but yes I too love seeing another talk with you here. Aldi here finally had eggs and they are $1.56 the other day, 2 per shopper allowed. I just got one as we eat them slowly and other families might need them.

The authorities here have relented for this weekend and are allowing church services in cars if they park at least 6 ft. apart. But only for Easter. No list of which churches would be doing so though and the announcement was given at the very last minute. I am conflicted as to which is right. Easter growing up was sun rise services at the close Junio rhigh school outdoor stadium, then the youngsters made breakfast at the church for everyone then regular service. We sang in the choir for other services. I loved it. Sometimes it would snow on Easter ad there was no use trying to wear that spring light weight coat !! :-))

I have come up with some interesting uses for our leftovers. So I will certainly do it again and again. I had a hard time finding any pork meats of any kind at stores here. Zero in trees meat counters and the butchers said they got none to cut for us either. I just wanted little something to put with beans.

So many are mentioning they are stacking so many donations in their homes for the used stores till they reopen. Yes we have time to clean out stuff but no place to donate it right now. I have asked everyone possible as always, if they can use things but ran out of people! Happy and Joyous Easter Terri. Sarah

Anonymous said...

People need to be really careful, even if the Shelter in Place is Lifted. The regular flu takes between 24,000 and 62,000 lives every year. Of course it doesn't spread as rapidly,but a person can still catch it.

Shell

Amy said...

I love your blog so much. I never miss a post. I, too, am helping school a kindergartener two days a week. My daughter appreciates it very much, as I’m sure Bess does. My grandson loves nature too, and he looks forward to our nature walks. Then I write simple sentences about what we found which helps with his reading. You’re doing so well getting things done. I’m trying to also. I work past-time from home anyway, but I miss church and getting out in general. My garden is sure reaping the reward of my extra time. Thank you for all your posts. I enjoy your common sense. - Amy