Iced Tea Chat: Summertime



Hello, dears!  Come in and let's have some iced tea.  Nothing but iced tea would do with our temperatures.  I can offer you a lovely peach iced tea, an organic green peach tea, black tea, lapsang souchong which is smoky and mysterious, a raspberry and pomegranate or peppermint tea.  And there are cookies in the cupboard.  John bought those on Sunday and I've been restraining myself.

Monday morning I was sitting in the kitchen and had just finished Bible study.  I picked up the phone and glanced at the temperature and gasped.  92F at 10am with a 'feels like' of 98...Holy cow!  I suddenly thought of my basil the previous morning, looking rather limp which I'd forgotten to water.  So I jumped up and went immediately to water plants heavily.  If it's almost 100 in the morning it's only going to be much hotter by afternoon when we hit peak temperatures.  And it was.  Oh my, it was!

The AC was limping along trying to keep up and all the fans and ceiling fans were running and it was still a wee bit warmer than I like it indoors, the sort of warm where I can breathe out and in again and break into a sweat. Now I realize, having lived for many many years without AC that this is not a true  problem.  It's just that at a certain age, the heat can quickly overtake you between your own personal thermostat getting stuck on high and the one attached to the AC creeping steadily upwards.  I drank a lot of iced water, pulled ALL the curtains closed and we limped through until the shade of the pecan tree finally hit the west side of the house and the place started to cool down to 78.

But you'll have to imagine how my heart sank when we were sitting here at the peak of the heat, with not a cloud in the sky, not a drop of rain and the electric clicked off.  No AC.  No fans. I wondered how long we'd be without power and if we'd all (thinking of Bess and children too) trek into town to sit in some comfort at Katie's provided the power was still on there.   I am sure of one thing: if we lose power, Bess and Sam do, too.  They are end of the line and their power passes through the transformer on our property.   And here each of us had a baby at home in mobile homes that get stuffy and overheated with all the windows open...  Well, it was on again within 10 minutes and I breathed a deep sigh of relief.  The house was only a wee bit warmer than it had been and  AC quickly cooled it back down.  

On Sunday, Bess brought me a bag of vegetables to sample from a local farm that sells produce bags on a weekly basis.  I was impressed.  It was enough for the two of us (John and I) and some of the prettiest stuff I've seen.  

Tuesday morning I topped and tailed the green beans from the bag and put them on to cook.  I tasted one  to check for doneness and was immediately swept back to childhood when I ate homegrown vegetables year round, fresh in season and canned or frozen through the other seasons.  The beans were so delicious, a tiny bit sweet because they were so fresh, and tasty as if they'd been cooked with a bit of meat in them.  When I was a child, it wasn't a proper pot of beans or peas or greens if a slice of bacon or a bit of ham hadn't been dropped in the pot with the vegetables.  I've never cooked in that manner but these beans tasted every bit as good as those from my childhood memory.   It was grown in 'real' dirt.  By that I mean proper soil, amended naturally, not sterile soil such as my potting soil.  

Granny and Mama both had huge gardens, as did Mama's brother and each year there was a regular exchange between households as one garden might be low on tomatoes or the beans didn't produce and in another it was a bumper crop.  Between the three gardens we only ever ate green peas and asparagus from a can and that because no one ever bothered to plant either of those crops.   Jelly was put up at home, too.  Apple, crabapple, plum, grape, peach, blackberry.

We foraged the fields for blackberry and plums.  The plums were bitter sour things that ripened to an incredibly sweetness moments before they fell from the wild trees they grew upon.   They made a lovely jelly, rosy in color .     Blackberries grow wild here.  Talk about organic!  These fruits had never known anything but rainwater, sun and native soil.     And then we'd climb roadside hills and walk in the edges of woods to gather wild blueberries.  Granny was merciless about the blueberries.  She covered an area about five miles wide and no bush went unpicked.  It was a serious undertaking with her to gather blueberries each year and she got enough to share amongst the other two households.  Of course, it was a lot easier to gather so many berries when she had all 7 of us grandchildren here at once!

In fall, Mama and Granny and Big Mama picked scuppernongs and muscadines and a wild purple grape called Harmon grapes that came off the land where Big Mama and her family had lived for a hundred years or so.  They grew wild in the woods there and it was a feat to get to the vines.  I wonder if they still produce?  The land left family hands years ago, so I'll never know, I guess.

Grandmother also 'put by' things and always had a big garden.  They grew things less in favor by the rest of my family.  They liked crowder peas and speckled butter beans.  These tasted less green and more starchy somehow than the black eyed and lady peas our families here grew, as well as the tender young butter beans that Granny picked before they matured fully so they were sweeter and less like their lima bean kin.   

 Grandmother tended to freeze things, rather than can them, as did Granny.  Mama on the other hand, did a considerable amount of both freezing and canning.  

I signed up with the girl who grows the produce Bess brought here.  My own 'harvest' thus far has been a handful of yellow pear cherry tomatoes, one large and lovely Brandywine and two Roma, plus two good sized and sweet Green Onions I'd grown from root ends.  Truth now, I'd rather grow my own but since I haven't done very well at that this year, I'll go second best and get somebody else's good homegrown stuff.  It's an expense and I'll have to adjust the grocery budget because it's going to cost more than grocery store stuff but goodness the variety and flavor are going to be just lovely!   

This morning I was up early and drove over to the farm to pick up my first bag.  It has Spinach, Vietnamese Coriander, figs, two cucumbers, three tomatoes, another packet of those lovely green beans, okra (the one thing John told me he'd be happiest without!), eggplant, Acorn squash, and yellow squash, a green onion and a big orange Zinnia.  I don't think I've left anything out.  As for John and the Okra, I shall slice it up and fry it as my grandmother used to do it and he'll eat it just fine, but I grew up eating okra and tomatoes in a pot of soup and  okra with tomatoes as a side dish and  it took some powerful mind changing to get me to forgo that when we married.  I never in my life could I eat it boiled so we at least agreed on that much! lol

It was a lovely ride over and I went the way with windows down.  Needless to say, its cooler today than it's been this week.  I wanted to tour the gardens but had no time for that this morning, since Caleb was being dropped off and I knew John was good for just a few minutes on his own and then he's worried about what he might be expected to do, lol.  He's the sort of father my generation was accustomed to, not the sort that our children's generation has become.

 I have to say to you all that the ride alone, over the blue hills with vast views spread out before me and a windy road and misty pones and birds singing loudly along the way I had to travel was just the thing a soul needs on a summer morning.  And perhaps next week I might ask for a farm tour if they aren't busy.

I miss the days of full summer gardens and the social visits where one took up a pan of beans or peas to snap or shell.  I remember family coming to visit at Granny's or Grandmother's and we'd all sit and sip iced water or tea or soda, sit in the shade and work and talk.  No one ever left a house empty handed either.  There was always a 'mess' of beans or something to carry home.  After all a worker deserved his reward.

While I relate this I am nostalgic. Summer does make me think of gardens and fruitfulness and good things from the past.  Not just food, but time with Granny or Grandmother and Big Mama, of family coming by to visit.  I miss the velvety summer nights and the aroma of the scorched grass coming in the windows each evening which grew stronger as the dew fell on it.  I miss the hot sticky nights and the cool mornings that dawned fresh and sweet as this morning did.  I miss the people that occupied my past.  Now I am the Gramma and the memories are my responsibility to make.

I've been thinking a lot about this.  John and I differ a good bit.  He's more of the mind that grandkids are great on occasion but he and I don't agree on the frequency of visits.  I think once or twice a week is about right with the occasional baby sitting when necessary.  He thinks once a month is better.  I say the years go by really fast and we've learned the hard way that they cannot be recaptured later.  Distance prevented my knowing the four in North Dakota and the three in South Georgia or Florida or wherever my son's children now live now.  

There's Josh and Isaac and Millie just over the field and while I am not the every day any hour of the day sort of Gramma,   I want very much to see more of them.   Taylor  is here only a couple of hours every other week.  Keeping Caleb reminds me of what I've missed, though I was privileged to have Josh for six weeks one summer and later Josh and Isaac  here full time while Josh was still a baby.  It was hard but a sweet and lovely time, too, a time in my life I'll never regret, even with all the difficulties our family was facing during those days.

Well, one can't go back and one must live with one's husband.  I listen to his concerns and try to honor them but also insist upon a compromise between us.  I don't know how long I have to create memories with these children.  It would be wonderful to live into my most senior years as Granny and Big Mama did and to see my grandchildren's grandchildren but there's no way of knowing if I shall...It's important to me that I at least honor my own convictions.

I have been reading The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.  It's a very good book and one of those that inspires me, because the words are strung together so beautifully.  Some books are just that way.  They satisfy something deeper within, calling it forth and touch your forever.  There area books so lyrical your spirit sings along with them as you read.  And yet I've found, to my disappointment, that another book by the same author may never ring with the same frequency and speaks nothing to the soul at all.    

I've read the book before. I must have loaned it out and not gotten it back , but I decided earlier this year that I'd read it again and so I bought it through ThriftBooks.com     I'd stumbled upon another book I wanted and put it on my list on the site and this past week they contacted me to say they had a copy of it.  I've been getting the occasional book for the Kindle, though I must by necessity read those less intensely than I do a printed book.

Today was my last day to keep Caleb.  I've spent two weeks with that little fellow and enjoyed it immensely even the one afternoon he was fiercely obstinate about sleeping and miserable.  He's a good baby, sweet and amendable, and I've enjoyed getting to know him more intimately.  Bess too enjoyed her days with him.  I cannot say I regret that time I spent with him, but I am mindful that there is good reason for young people to have young children and equally as important that old people not!  There was not much left in me at the end of the day and some mornings it was hard to come out of the bed but unfailingly Caleb was a happy little fellow and brightened my days.

Now Gramma takes over in another form.  She's watching River and the chickens for a day or two...I warrant they'll be a lot easier on a Gramma!

So here I am once again with time on my hands, sigh.

No regrets mind you.  There's a project list a yard long and jobs aplenty to be attended to.  Mama will appreciate a visit or two a month once more.  Josh and Taylor (her kindergarten year) start school in about a week.  I hope to get Isaac a morning a week and visit with Millie here and there.  I want to try my best to get a rose bush or two and some fall garden seeds planted.   There's a porch floor to paint and railings to clean (back porch) and railings to paint (front porch).   There's fall cleaning to begin because it is nearly the end of July and it takes time to get quilts aired and freshened and walls cleaned and such if one is not to work themselves to death doing it.  So yes, there is plenty to be done.  And it's just hot enough that I shall take these matters in small bites and get them done in increments.

Well, its a brief chat but I confess I'm bleary eyed with tiredness.  I shall end here and wish you all a pleasant summer evening ahead...and I promise we shall gather here in a week or so and have another chat together.

12 comments:

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

This was such an enjoyable summery post. I heard the first cicada around here today,so summer is going to start really speeding by now.In summer the heat tends to wear me down so much more quickly than it did when I was younger. These days I am always exhausted after standing and cooking dinner. I just get so hot, and then the house is hot at that time of day, too. I often feel like I just need to get somewhere and lay down and cool down before I can eat.

When my grandson was little and I used take care of him sometimes, I used to think about the reason God thought it wise for Moms of babies to be younger than late 50's which I was at that time.

Liz from new york said...

I’m glad you weren’t without power for long. I guess I’m spoiled in my old age, but I didn’t have any air conditioning till I was a full blown adult. Now I can’t imagine life without it! I enjoy my grandkids, but not when I have to ‘play’ with them. I never played with my kids per say, but I heartily enjoy watching them play. I love watching them play dolls, and trucks and tea parties, and running around. I’ve raised a lot of kids, so luckily everyone understands that. I love to feed them, and buy them cute things I see that I know they will like. There’s a man that delivers fresh farm produce, butter and milk from the dairy farms in New Jersey. I’d love to try his services, but it’s sooo expensive. Nothing much happening up here but a heat wave, so I will bid you adieu till next week. Best, Liz

Lana said...

We have had two meals with our delicious home grown green beans and I expect another meal will be ready to pick when we arrive home. A farm share would get wasted here since Hubby would not eat half the items in every box but it sure sounds lovely. We plan to go to the farmers market here in our little lake house town on Saturday. I hoping for some lovely produce from there for next week's meals.

Conni said...

Hi, Terri,
You made me laugh and then I needed to read your comments about the kind of father John is to my husband. With our six children he only changed THREE diapers (and lemme tell you, I PAID for that ‘privilege’ by needing to do the mountain of laundry he used in the process. LOL)
I can so relate to much of what you write. Thank you for the beautiful way you share!

Rhonda said...

I loved this visit with you ❤️ I remember the days when it seemed like all the wives spent the summer "putting up"
My mom didn’t can much but she did make jelly and she froze lots of peas she shelled herself and sliced peaches.
Jackson and Charlie start Kindergarten too but Charlie may be doing school at home this year.

I’m also ready to give my home a top to bottom freshen up but that may not happen for a week or more.

Hugs to you, sweet friend.

Allegra said...

While I can see both yours and John's point of view on frequency of seeing grandchildren, I wonder if perhaps John hasn't given much thought to just how long a time a month is to a small child. My grandparents were once a month sort, and I barely remember them. Yes, I was young when they passed, but the two cousins that lived with them were even younger, yet they remember them vividly. So that's something to consider.

terricheney said...

Susie, I have determined after years upon years in the country that Goldenrod comes up and stands tall long before it blooms and that the growing part of it is a summer thing. That said, I've seen plenty of golden rod of late, so we're right in mid-summer. For us that means we have about three months of real heat left. I find it draining to be out in it too much and a little depressing to be indoors with the curtains pulled and everything looking dusky. So I flip on lights, probably offsetting some of my savings, but at least the lights are all LED.

Liz, I enjoy playing with them up to a point but love to watch them at play even more. I grew up with AC in our family home, at least in the den of the house and later in all the rooms via window units but I couldn't afford the costs of it by the time I was an adult in my own home. Oddly enough, our bill here has always been less than using two units on weekends only ever was in my former adult homes. I'm very grateful that John considers it a necessity!

Lana, Katie has been getting a Misfits box every other week and added in stuff today for us to share when she gets her next one. She suggested we split the cost and I could afford to do that. I like the additional variety I am more or less forced to try and use in order to not waste it. If left to purchases, it would be broccoli, cabbage, lettuce and tomatoes...simply because John will say "Nooooo" to most all else if we're in the grocery. Presented with it on his plate he does just fine. Strangely enough he eats lots more foods than he thinks he does, lol.

Rhonda, Mama worked full time but put up enough in summer/fall to carry us the whole year through both in freezer and in jars. Jellies and fruits and vegetables were all put up each year. It was a lot of work and must have been very tiring but the satisfaction came in looking at all those jars on her pantry shelves each fall.

Conni, John's good to give a bottle if it's already mixed up but he's not going to feed nor change a diaper. My sons however, do it all and never turn a hair over it. It's just a difference in a generation but dads these days are kind of expected to carry their full share of the load, aren't they?

Allegra, I say this with all the love in the world, but he is by his own determination a little selfish of time with me and also no, he doesn't understand how long a month is. John didn't grow up with grandparents nearby. Most of his grandparents were deceased before he was born. I, on the other hand, did have the majority of mine alive and great grandmothers (and one great grandfather as well) and appreciate what they all meant to my life. I'd like to my grandchildren to have the same sort of good memories I had.

Anonymous said...

Our power also went off for 10 minutes twice last week. No idea why ..and why only 10 minutes. They were probably working on the lines.

I grew up knowing both sets of grandparent and uncles and aunts close by. All the very close to our house aunts and uncles were married but none had had children. Other cousins and more relatives lived a ways away but visited my grandparents during holidays and summers. What fun we had and what inspiration I got from observing each different family. I always thought this would be the way life would be. Yet here I am 3000 miles from there now and my husband's family was very small and was never close. He too has no real sense of what it feels like to be part of a loving close extended family. Now neither do our children. Now we are the older ones all those loved ones are gone. I still I feel the need and want of others and older ones too to share with. I live here so far from any people I once knew too and no one here knows my life growing up but does know my husband's since he lived here forever. I am forgetting so much of my own history as no one talks to me of it anymore. I miss them all so. I so wanted for my children to know a family like I grew up with. They all left such an impression on me and I know made a real difference in my life. I am so glad you want to be a part of your grandchildren's life too. 'they already love to come and see you and your house and family and you and John will live in their lives forever. I can trace so much of what I like even in home decorating straight to my grandparents homes. Favorite foods, ways of showing affection, flowers,..so many things. Also responsibility and citizenship and loving people and so many other things came from this big family. Also growing up around us most homes had large extended families back then we got to be part of too. Learning all the different nationalities holidays and foods and all of it. We called our neighborhood the little united nations. :) ..now you have got me reminiscing.... maybe too much. Lets face it, home and family are such powerful things Sarah

Unknown said...

Such a nostalgic post for me to read. I feel very deeply the passing of the people and the ways of my 'olden days'.
I read and enjoyed 'The Secret life of Bees' too.
As one reader to another can I suggest that, if you haven't already done so, you might like to read the very entertaining and charming 'Diary of a Provincial Lady' by 'E.M.Delafield'- not to be confused with the Diary of an English Provincial Lady which is very well known and has beautiful illustrations. E.M. Dellafield has this review ' A self-effacing diarist anxiously trying to keep up appearances in the Great Depression provides consoling comedy in trying times'. She wrote it the early 1930's. In a similar vein are books by Monica Dickens, grand daughter of Charles Dickens. 'One pair of Hands' is my favourite. Then 'One pair of Feet' and 'My Turn to make the Tea'. They are so entertaining, I'm sure you'd love them and they are probably just pennies to download on the Kindle app if you have it. I have them tucked away to re-read again and again on cold winters days, to enjoy by the fire with a pot of tea and some fruit cake. It's very cool and damp here...I'm feeling almost Autumnal. Very best wishes from Rose in Cornwall UK.

Tammy said...

We lived just a short way from my maternal grandparents during my childhood, and Mom was very close to her family. Sunday mornings after Sunday school, we all gathered at Grandma's for cousin time. "The aunts" as we call them now, all sat around Grandma's tiny kitchen table with their iced tea and chatted. Sometimes some of us older girls were allowed to join. Kids running in and out and all around. Grandpa in his chair, never saying a word. He always wore denim overalls (to him, a new pair of overalls meant he was getting dressed up), and had a watch tucked into the front pocket. Many of the cousins took turns sitting in his lap with their ear on that watch, listening to it tick. (I have that watch now.)
YES! You need to spend as much time as you can with those babies now! Lol. My kids remember my parents, but most of their grandchildren do not.
One more thing - take photos of yourself with each and all of those grands so they have them later.

My Layla starts Kindergarten next month as well. She got her letter yesterday and will have the same teacher her brothers and her mother had. I LOVE that teacher, and we are thrilled that Jess's kids get to enjoy her as well.

terricheney said...

Sarah, You have a knack of conveying much in a short space of writing..Why not write out your memories? At least you can draw out those memories and they'll be there for perhaps your children or grandchildren to read. Also I believe the more you write your memories the more will come to the surface.

Rose, I got all but one of the books for under $16 from Thriftbooks.com Thank you for the suggestions!

Tammy we didn't live near family but if we were here or at Grandmother's we were exposed to someone to whom we were related. I loved those days of my childhood when I felt so grounded and rooted.

Unknown said...

! I hope you enjoy the books as much as I have Terri. They might seem very 'old fashioned' to some people but I think they are British classics and should appeal to your tastes. Fingers crossed!

The Homemaker Plans Her Week: Baby Blue