Worth Sharing This Week: Magical Things and Memories




I don't know exactly what era every one finds the most memorable.  I'd have to say likely mine is the 1970's. Bell bottom pants, platform shoes, peasant blouses and leather wrist bands.  I'm amazed these days to walk through an antique store and find dishes and decor that Mama had in our home at that time.  I mean, they aren't really antiques yet...or just barely!

But something that floated across memory the other night was a frozen milk shake product.  It came in a cup and you removed it from the freezer and I think you might have added milk...I don't even know what the name of the stuff was and I don't think it stayed on the market long.  After all, I'm pretty sure buying ice cream was likely the least expensive option for making your own milkshake.  But I wondered if anyone else remembered this particular product?

Another product that came to mind: Jello Strawberry Instant pudding.   Granny bought it all the time and we often made pudding or gelatin for our summer desserts when we visited with her in summer.  The Strawberry pudding was the loveliest pink color and tasted about like strawberry drink mix but it was something different and rather nice when the day had been overly warm.   She also bought lemon, and butterscotch and pistachio but it's strawberry I remember simply because I never ever see that flavor on the store shelves.

A quick search showed the Jello brand pudding is on Amazon and Walmart but both sites say it's unavailable.


Just a stumble upon for me this week...I've been getting a number of blog posts by email because I find it less time consuming to read two or three an evening rather than spend all day Saturday online.   Well this week I noted the blog reading list on the sidebar of the email I was sent and as I will when I'm feeling adventurous, I clicked on all the blog links and found this wonderful blog.  It's girly and bookish and artful and floral and all the awesome girly sorts of things I crave.   Go give her blog a view, do!  It might be the refreshing retreat you need, too.


Drive in movie theatres...There's a local hospital that has shown movies outdoors for the last several summers on their family nights.  I think it's lovely.   I have fond memories of drive-in movies from my childhood through my first married years.  It was inexpensive entertainment.  A few not only had speakers to hang on the car windows but a few added an air conditioning element that kept the interior of cars cool, too!  I last went to a drive-in movie theatre when I was in my late twenties.

Well now that theatres are closed for business, some are reopening old drive in theatres.  Interestingly enough, Walmart is turning some of their parking lots into drive in theatres.  I don't know if any near us will be open but I think it's a nice concept.  Check it out here at Walmart Drive-in.  


Something absolutely lovely, is this ballet, The Dying Swan.  The score is divine anyway, but to watch this ballerina dance to it is something extra.  


All this summer I've seen the most stunning fully grown dragonflies.  Deep golden bronze,  iridescent green and blue, even deep burgundy red ones.  They are so lovely.  I've shared my love of them before and my study of them and their many life stages.  This final stage is the last, when they are fully grown and flying they begin the next generation of dragonflies.  It's sad to think this is the final stage of their life but I'm so grateful to get to see them enjoying it!  Hear! hear! for aging beautifully! 

7 comments:

Lana said...

I agree that the Dragon flies have been amazing this year. Here at the he lake the crepe myrtles have been the most beautiful I have ever seen anywhere this year. We rarely had convenience foods like you speak of because my Mom is allergic to artificial colors and flavors. Everyone who ever ate at our house raved about the food because it was all made with real ingredients and always butter. The thing I remember from my Grandparents house was store bought cookies which we never had. We would trade the homemade cookies in our lunches for Oreos in a heartbeat!

Rhonda said...

I don’t remember strawberry pudding but we sure ate all kinds of jello growing up.
I put that new to you blog on my blog sidebar so I can remember to read it- thank you

Deanna said...

I love the idea of the return of drive-in movies. In fact, we are hosting one in our town in a few weeks. We put on a big music festival each year but sadly had to make the decision to cancel this year. Our headliner was going to be John Fulbright and we usually have around 13,000 in attendance so it just wouldn't have been prudent. But we came up with another idea. We are going to show "The Outsiders", which was filmed in Oklahoma, on an outdoor screen at the local university football parking lot. People will be required to stay in their cars so it will be a safe event. This will follow our city's annual "Cruisin' Main" event, another safe event for those who stay in their cars.

I'd love to see drive-ins spring up all over the country. :)

Kathy said...

What fun memories! I like dragon flies too although I haven't seen many this year. I don't remember strawberry pudding or the milkshake but they sound good.
I think the 80's were more memorable for me, although I don't miss the big hair.
I have happy memories of drive-ins too. We still have a local drive-in which has been showing older movies like Star Wars and my son took his girlfriend to see Jurassic Park last week.
I'll check out the blog too. Thanks.

Pam said...

I went and checked out the blog you linked and loved it. Thank you!

Tammy said...

We've been doing drive-in movies here as well. We're partnering with the Chamber of Commerce and a small convention center where they show the films. We have curbside popcorn pickup at the theater before the show starts. It's been a popular event each week. Our town had a proper drive-in when I was younger, and my first date was to see the (awful!) movie "Lifeguard". The guy I was with was a lifeguard at the city pool, so it was fitting. My parents also used to take us kids and a paper grocery bag full of popcorn - I can imagine the mess in the back of the station wagon the next day. Lol.

I love dragonflies! I like to watch them from my kitchen window on hot summer afternoons.

No Jello here - I ate plenty of it as a kid, and Greg doesn't like it, so it's a rarity.

I took a look at the blog you posted and it is lovely. She has a beautiful Instagram feed as well, so I followed her there. Thank you!

terricheney said...

I loved that this post resonated with you all so much! Thank you for sharing and letting me know. The first drive in movie I remember seeing was Bambi...I think I was four or five at the time.

I love that small communities are picking up on drive ins and bringing them back to life even if it's showing older films and not new releases.

That blog is a delight isn't it? I'm glad it is liked as well.