The Week Ahead: Autumn Serenade

 


Here's a 'modern' kitchen for us to examine for the start of the week...

I am not at all sure of the placement of that curved counter there in the kitchen.  It seems odd somehow to me but then I noted those little fold up stools on the side and realized it was meant as a breakfast counter.  I think sitting on those stools would be pretty awkward, don't you?


Note the slender, just 4 inch deep cupboard next to the stove with hanging pots and pans and even a small shelf...Now that is clever in my opinion.  I've shared in the past that I had a kitchen with a narrow bit of shelving like that in the wall behind the backdoor and it stored just loads of canned items in an otherwise unused space.  Notice the light above the stove and then higher up the exhaust fan.

To the left, the upper cabinets have mirrored doors which I assume are bifold type doors.  There also appears to perhaps be a cabinet just to the right on that corner wall with a wooden door.

I admire the deep stainless backsplash and counter top of the sink cabinet.   Is that a radio in the counter just to the left of the sink?  Also the smaller air flow vents right under the sink.

Last we come fully left and it appears that this is a baking center.  The mixer is right on the edge of that counter but I can't quite make out what the counter top material is.  With the luncheon counter, the sink section and this one, that would make what appears to be three different counter top materials.  I wonder why this is so?

I like the pale yellow and I love the floor tile but what makes the room over again, is that the ceiling is that deep cantaloupe color, which is also used on the interior of the pots and pans cupboard.

Let's start this week with a song.  I heard this one today on a vlog.  I had heard it before but it seemed a lovely reminder of autumn.  You can almost hear the wind moaning around in the harmonies of this one...So sigh worthy.

How lovely it is to be home once more!  I admired the green grassy view with a familiar bunny nibbling grass further down the yard, and scattered leaves upon the lawn as the sunset shone golden light all around on Friday and said to myself that waves and sand and swaying sea oats are indeed lovely things, but there's something to be said, too, for the view out my own kitchen window.  

And later, on Saturday morning, I admired the peaceful quiet with the occasional bird song and decided that too compared most favorably with the pounding of the ocean at the beach and the sharp cries of seagulls.  I admire both greatly and did see autumn signs in both states but this is far more familiar to me and so my soul leaps a little higher as each new sign appears.  This morning it was October lilies, none of which were about yesterday yet there they all were, bright red and in surprising places in yards and at roadsides on our way into town.

We went to visit the grandchildren up the lane, to pay Josh for feeding the dogs and cat here and compliment him on a job done well and we're told, cheerfully.  His daddy immediately told him, "Here, now, go put your money in the bank..."  and Josh dutifully did as he was told,  but said to me, "When I get bigger, I'm just gonna keep it in my pocket."  lol  We passed Bess on her way out to go to her work and we sat in the road beside one another and chatted away for a good 15 minutes or so.   That is a luxury of a country dirt road.  One may stop and have a bit of a chat with someone and not block the path of another.

Isaac was delighted we were back.  He was convinced we were hiding from him here in the house while we were gone, and Bess finally had to bring him in to look for himself.   He climbed up in my lap, something Josh is now past doing and when we were leaving he came running, reaching up to hug me.  Millie woke just as we were leaving but she was still sleep drunk and just leaned way back and stared at me like "Who are you?  I haven't even had my milk yet..."   I do believe she's gonna take after me in that respect.  Just please let me get awake good before you come calling, okay?  

We went into town to deliver homemade chicken soup and cold meds to the household there and stood on the sidewalk while they spoke through the glass storm door.  They all looked well enough, sick, but certainly not horribly so.  The baby stared us and kept looking at his mama and dad as though to say, "Why aren't they coming in?"  Grampa earned a real smile from him but he had none to spare for me.  I am so grateful that they are hanging in there.  Katie texted me later that the she could smell the soup and apparently they had a bowl right away, which is great because it was still quite hot when I delivered it to the door.

I had to improvise a little on the soup.  I have no onion but did have some dehydrated onion and I find that adding a tiny bit of dried chives sort of takes away the dehydrated taste of the onion.  I didn't have carrots either but I did have several cans of carrots on the pantry shelf.  I tasted the soup and it tasted pretty good to me, so I hope it will do a world of good for them.  I do believe in good natural remedies like chicken soup and scientists have proven that it is indeed helpful in curing the colds and flu.  

Well I've chattered away.  Now let us get busy and plan our week ahead.

Work:  



Zone 4 work will be porches and patio and I will also clean drains and change our AC filter.  

I really do need to begin to scrape off that old paint, as more and more of it is peeling up on the back porch.  General clean-up and straighten overall should be done.  I'm sure some things might well be moved to shed or gotten rid of entirely back there.  I noted that a dog has been sitting on one of the chair cushions around back which is unusual as they typically choose the front porch chairs.  

The front porch mostly needs a decent cleaning, including taking down two massive spider webs.    I had to move the orchids in for the week we were gone and now the front porch looks quite bare without plants.   I don't know when we'll go out to do any shopping and I'm really feeling it likely won't be till the end of the week but if we should, I'd like to get some mums to put outdoors.  The orchids won't be going back out according to the temperatures we're meant to the night times forecast for the week ahead.

Shopping.  We really must go this week.  Fortunately the first of the month happens this week and I think I can manage on what we've got until then, though I'll likely buy an onion and some fruit at the grocery after church and maybe some lettuce.

Get the October page ready for our check register and pay the first bills of the new month ahead.

The house was perfectly clean when we left it but bags exploded after we arrived home on Friday.  I did try to put things to rights as much as I could and even worked at it a little on Saturday, but was loathe to give over my entire Sabbath to housekeeping chores.   But it is a for certain fact that I must get busy right away now the new week is upon us.

Autumn decorating.  I brought the bin in two weeks ago with what I proposed I might use and now I am ready to begin adding touches here and there.  The temperatures are meant to be quite cool towards the end of this week and I know that John will be ready to have his cozy throw back on his chair.

Time to tidy my garden such as it is.  The last tomato plant is finally done, and the planter box has completed all it might do as well.  I want to report the oregano and hopefully shelter it through the winter, ditto for the lavender that never really grew well but did grow some.  I need to harvest basil and basil seeds, and just generally sort things out.

Meals: 

 


It's hard to know exactly what I might plan this week, since we're out of some pretty basic items.  Nevertheless, a plan will be most helpful in curbing costs.  I expect to be shopping by end of the week and I've plenty of frozen and canned foods I might use in place of fresh ingredients, aside from onions.  I really need to buy onions!  I've noted that Publix has had none in bags at all since that recall, but their prices on onions are high in my opinion so I've limited myself to one or two at most.  I expect I'll just start the week with one or two this time as well and then later in the week I will go shopping at Aldi and we'll see how they sell onions.  I'll also see about getting a single head of lettuce to see us through the first part of this week.

Chicken Pot Pie, Cranberry Sauce   No lettuce in the house but the pot pie has a full range of vegetables in it including green beans, carrots, peas and potatoes so we'll just go with what we've got and call it a one dish meal.  Besides we had a rather late lunch today and this will make the evening meal a little lighter.

Mississippi Pot Roast, Mashed Potatoes, Collard Greens

Black Beans and Rice, Pineapple Salad

Corned Beef Brisket, Potatoes and Cabbage, Corn Bread

Chicken Parmigiana, Salad, Garlic Bread

 Philly Cheese Sandwiches (leftover roast), Oven Fries, Green Salad

Chili with Rice and Mexican Cornbread, Salad

13 comments:

Anne said...

This newest kitchen is one of my favorites only if the breakfast bar is used as a work space. That would provide a lot of working room, because, like you, I can not see it used as a breakfast bar. First, there is pretty much no room for knees in front of those pull down seats, secondly, they don't look strong enough to hold an adult and thirdly, I'm not even sure they would hold bouncy children for very long before they would snap off. So a work space it would become for me. The colors are soothing. The pink kitchen was overwhelming with every appliance in it a bubble gum pink. I would tire of it in about 20 minutes.

terricheney said...

Monochromatic looks were very popular in the 20th century and I often feel rather irritable when looking at any room where the furniture, walls, flooring, accents are all the same color. This theme was used in bedrooms and living rooms as well as kitchens at the time. I much prefer a variety of colors. The ceiling helps, as does the black accents and touches of red.

Lana said...

The house I grew up in had the counters like the breakfast bar. They were Formica on top with a metal band around the edges which was nailed on. The nails were constantly working their heads out and they would catch on clothes and scratch skin rather badly. Thank goodness they figured out that this design was horrible.

I know what you mean about getting lonesome for home. The lake house is one of my favorite places in the world but at about day eleven I am ready to be back home. The odd thing is that we consider that house and town home, too. But, this year we have been home way too much.

Menus for the week-
Today was pizzas made on pita breads and grapes
Sun-London broil on the grill, oven potato wedges, salad
Mon-Red beans and rice with beef smoked sausage, green beans, corn muffins and salad
Tues- spaghetti and salad
Wed-leftovers from Monday
Thurs-chili, crackers and baby carrots
Fri-ham and Swiss impossible pie, Steamed broccoli and fresh baked rolls

Have a great week!

Tammy said...

Sending my best wishes to Katie and family as they navigate and recover. I saw on FB where Katie said the soup helped. I remember when I had West Nile and was beginning to recover, I craved chicken soup. My MIL made some from scratch and brought it to me when all I'd asked for was a can of Campbell's chicken and noodle. It was so good.

Anonymous said...

My mother's kitchen wss redone in the later 50s and had the same metal edgings on the counter as Lana mentioned. The tops though were the same red tile as the floor. The color scheme in the kitchen was yellow walls and the red floor and counters and accessories and curtains of red check or red design or white with red through the years. The counters and walls always stayed the yellow. It was small and had four doorways in it. One to the basement, one to a small lavatory, one to the back porch and one to the dining room. ITO was small but had a big window over the sink and light coming through the porch door and looked very cheery.

Our Aldi had bagged onions this week.All medium size. I don't like to buy the huge onions. I only need so much and the rest sometimes starts to get soft before getting used again. I do put part of a paper towel in bottom of the tuppperware I always keep just for an onion to sit in and that helps a lot to keep it crisp.

I could just picture Isaac looking through your house for you while you were gone. So cute. :-))))) I do pray your family will get well quickly.

I think the ad that always comes up to the right of the kitchen pictures cuts off some we can see of it. That can't be helped. I doubt you can post the picture more off center or whatever. but we get the idea. I think the radio by the sink may be a detergent or soap flake box? The pull down stools. Yes, awkward. We worry dresses always back then too and no, awkward. That they flipped up is nice though as they were out of the way. :) The slim shelfs with the pots reminds me of the fold down ironing board cupboards in so many older kitchens. Remember many turned them into small can or spice cabinets. The flowers growing over the sink...where does the water drain when they are watered if they were real flowers or herbs?? They are pretty but make it hard to wash that blind..or the window when needed. I love the floor. But then I have liked most of these floors. LOL :-)))))) Sarah

Chef Owings said...

Looks almost like my great aunt's kitchen. We sat sideways on the stools with our dresses. The baking area might have enamel porcelain as that was used for Hoosiers and such for baking areas, like today a lot use marble for where they roll pastry.

terricheney said...

Lana, I missed my bed! lol

Tammy, It must have been good soup. Katie and I were chatting with Amie last night (also sick with pneumonia and then bronchitis, so prayers please for her also) and Katie mentioned that chicken soup again, lol. Of course, it might have been a sister taunt at Amie...You know how siblings can be.

Sarah, thank you for mentioning part of the kitchens were covered by the ads. I adjusted the size of the kitchens again and they are now free of ads and ads are free of them. I should have checked that myself after publishing but didn't. Now I've fixed them all so they are suited to the size of the post borders.

Anonymous said...

Oh I looked again at all the kitchen pictures to see the edge of the picture we couldn't see before. Thanks! I was at first concerned you had stopped the ads. I am glad to see them there. I do love some of those blouses they show for sure!! Sarah

Rhonda said...

I would not like sitting on the fold down seats, but they would be perfect for grands and would be so easy to clean under after they ate. No chairs to move!

Beckyathome said...

I'm glad you got a vacation. I'm just coming up for air from a very busy summer of gardening, canning, working....it seems odd that I've been so busy while staying home so very, very much. It just seems like the more I do, the more I see that needs to be done!

I don't love the little seats, either..except for the "cool" factor. They do look very cool! I agree with Rhonda--kids would love them!

terricheney said...

Rhonda, I just picture me banging my knee on them even when turned up like that first one.

Becky, I know how busy you've been! I've been following along and am amazed at all that you've put up this summer from your garden. Also congratulations on that grandson! He's a real sweetie from the looks of him.

Karen in WI said...

Terri, I am praying for Katie and family and your daughter Amy to recover to health quickly. Autumn is a busy time for me and I haven’t been on my computer as much, so I am a bit behind. You are wonderful to bring them soup and make sure that are taken care of. Chicken soup really is most wonderful when you are sick, and yes, it does help!

We got a light frost already, but it must have been very temporary as the flowers and everything bounced back. I can tell that we will probably have our first good frost pretty soon (our fall date is 10/7). The farmers have been harvesting and the field corn is still out in the fields. My father says that they harvest it after the first frost. He helped his aunt on her farm when he was young. I passed by my favorite dairy farm the other day. It is such a clean, tidy farm. The cows are the light brown, Swiss type cows. They are always on nice pasture in summer and look so happy! We get our Christmas trees there in December and i noticed that they are harvesting their pumpkin patch and already have some out for sale. I will try to stop this Friday afternoon on the way to my son’s soccer practice and pick a few up. The family is so friendly and the farm has been owned by them for generations. The trees are turning and it is beautiful! I loved your post on the changing seasons.

I find myself now in a hurry to finish washing my windows on the few nicer days and all the general getting ready for winter things. It is time for winter gear to be brought up. I feel like a squirrel in October! Last year winter arrived the 4th weekend of October and didn’t go away so I have made up my mind to have all the outside work done by the 3rd week in October. I have wanted to plant Sungold tulips in my front yard to complement the pink ones that i planted a few years ago. I had this pretty yellow tulip at a house years ago. I also fell in love with the giant Globemaster allium that bloomed for the first time this year and wanted a couple more bulbs. Well, with a coupon I had, i ended up buying 50 yellow tulips and 3 allium bulbs for the front and 70 red tulips for the back. Sigh.....now I have a lot more work to do, but I will be so excited to see them come up next spring! That means I REALLY have to take advantage of the few nice days we will have the next few weeks. I bought some bulb fertilizer and will sweetly ask my husband to help with the digging (that’s the part I hate!).

I made a large batch of elderberry syrup yesterday and froze most of the bottles. We find that taking elderberry syrup is a wonderful general tonic, but when we aren’t feeling well, if you take it several times a day with homeopathic oscillococcinum or Coldcalm, it’s very effective at stoping or lessening the severity of the virus. My doctor said to have oscillococcinum on hand for Covid too. He also said to make sure your vitamin D and zinc levels are up before hand for prevention, so I have my whole family on that, especially my elderly parents. We get our blood levels taken once a year so we know exactly where they are.

My 2nd son, Cody, is coming home for 6 days next Wednesday for Fall Break. It will be lovely to have him here. He is all set to transfer to UW Green Bay next fall and I will be very excited to have him closer to us and he will be living near family there too. My parents will especially appreciate having a strong grandson around to visit with and to help around their home. It is getting time that they are needing more help and my strong father is loath to ask for it. I think he should think about a cane for his balance, but he won’t consider it. Men....another sigh!!

Well, it is raining here this morning, but my youngest is scheduled to play a soccer game 2 hours north of here this afternoon so I have to get some things done before we leave. It is a long day, but he enjoys playing goalie. One day I won’t have anyone to drive and that will be soon! Love and hugs to you Terri!

terricheney said...

Karen, no clue why this comment is just now showing up but I also have read the next comment you left on another post and note that you've accomplished a few things on your to do list from this note.