The Week Behind: Lovely Welcome to Autumn


I've shared this pink kitchen before.  I think perhaps this is an all metal kitchen and each piece was separate standing.  Let's talk first about the fact that the top cabinets are white and the pink ones are all on the bottom.  Here's a modern day trend of two toned kitchens from back in the 1950's...Again, proving that there is nothing new under the sun.


That wall between top and bottom cabinets appears to be a warm coral, something I'd not be likely to mix with pink.  And the tiles appear to be gold metallic which is intriguing given that the clock looks like copper, and the appliance and cabinet hardware are all silver.  Mixed metals are now considered chic but I'd say it was pretty chic 70 years ago, wouldn't you?

Other things I notice are the rice paper screen to the left of the washer/dryer and the gunmetal/black dividing wall between kitchen and laundry.

Saturday:  I failed to share our Friday supper menu with you.  I made my former co-worker Brenda's Slow Cooker Polska Kielbasa.  It's sooo good.  It's basically just Au gratin Potatoes with Smoked Sausage and English Peas.  It's not expensive to make either, which is a good recipe in my opinion.

I was going to split this recipe between two days but the sausage looked mighty skimpy when divided into four portions.  I didn't look at the label but I wonder if they shrank the ounces again? There might possibly have been 3 servings. In future, I will likely just slice a package into rounds instead of the link  sized portions I had attempted.

I am out of routine today.  I stripped our bed and bath today instead of tomorrow.  I was also checking my lists to see what else I must do when Sam texted saying my boys wanted to come see us.  I said no at first but then called Sam back and told him to send them over for a bit.  I had to wait on laundry, anyway.

So over they came, shoes wet and gritty from the walk across the field, bursting into the house breathless and happy.  "It's cold out there!"  It was cooler and damp and overcast but I knew the weather ahead was going to be nearer being cold.  I was pleased to see Josh so excited over the coolness though.

 They stayed all of 15 minutes.  Then Josh remembered a promise to make slime as their weekend craft that afternoon and was ready to go immediately.  Isaac was not happy. I might have told him to stay but I knew that I really had much to do.  Fortunately, Isaac was easily appeased with a full box of Vanilla Wafers which he refused to let Josh carry for him.  He hugged that box tight while he sat on the floor and said "Shoes."  I put his shoes on and out the door he went box of wafers still tight within his arms.

 My afternoon was spent gathering leftovers for lunch and planning an easy supper.  I washed dishes, folded laundry, put away clothes and remade our bed.  Then I packed John's things.  I'd packed my own days ago.  I don't know how he stood the excitement of knowing we were going off and why he didn't pack as early on as I did.  Maybe I really am the 'child bride' as he's fond of telling others I am!

Meals: John went to men's breakfast at church.  I know I ate but what?  Lunch was leftovers of things.  Supper was a plate of nachos. I had a small portion of taco meat in freezer.  We topped with lettuce.

I sent Josh home with an eggplant and head of romaine that I knew we would find spoiled when we returned.

Sunday:  A chilly, overcast morning.  John packed the car last night but we had to do the very last of it this morning.  I do not think we have ever packed so few extras.  Clothes were about as always, but extras were considerably less.  

Today I wore a black maxi skirt with an eggplant three quarter sleeve top.  I also wore flip flops and a jeans jacket...I regretted the shoe choice later.  We gathered trash, checked all of our lists to insure everything was done, and left for church.

We have always parked at the back of the church and used a side entrance to enter the building but due to some construction work we had to park out front this morning.   Goodness but that was different.  We speak casually to two or three people usually but we spoke lengthy conversations with various folks this morning and received two invitations!  We were rather surprised by them but happy, too.  I think we're going to accept both...maybe!

After slowly making our way to the car we headed to a gas station to top up the gas tank and discussed our surprise at how many spoke to us this morning.  We surmised this might be due to the fact that we exited through the front lobby where the majority of people seem to come and go.  After we filled up the car we turned onto the interstate and began our travels.

Normally I'd push to travel back roads but this morning our proximity to the interstate was the key decision maker.  Fortunately the highway had well spaced traffic.  I broke the monotony by imagining we were just traveling our usual distances.  20 miles...that was the town nearest us from home.  40 miles was a trip to Aldi.   That worked pretty well for me.  I kept up a steady chatter each portion of the trip.

My only regret was my half frozen toes.  Even with the heat on my toes were like ice!  I wished mightily I'd put on regular shoes or even had brought slippers and a lap robe.   I finally employed the jeans jacket as a foot warmer.

About 20 minutes prior to reaching the state line, we decided to stop for lunch.  McDonald's was nearest so that's where we went.  Here's why I and many others get frustrated with the whole restrictions things differing from place to place, not from state to state.  I needed to take a break.  However only the drive thru was open.  On asking at the window, we were told rather shortly that they did not unlock the doors.  We thanked her, took our change, picked up our food at the next window and drove next door to Cracker Barrel which was open.

Here, the parking lot was packed.  People were sitting in the rockers, standing about on the porch, and I could see people inside milling around the gift shop.  The young man at the door allowed me to enter when I quietly said I wished to use the restroom and make a purchase in the gift shop.

Inside, people were being limited to every other table in the restaurant but the gift shop was packed, the aisles so full of people and ALL the usual racks, displays, etc., which anyone who has been in the place knows is substantially full without people.   You'd think they might limit the merchandise ever so slightly given the circumstances, but no.  The line at the registers was full, those waiting on seating were in a full line, and if I found an opening, I immediately found a member of staff greeting me!  

I was masked as were the staff but only the very elderly wore a mask, otherwise.  I finally made it through the melee to the restroom which was blessedly empty.  I sighed heavily with relief.

I made a courtesy purchase...but this necessitated standing in line.  I stood nicely on my marker six feet behind the older woman ahead of me and waited.  And waited.  Finally I realized that the line moved but she did not.  Apparently the line I stood upon and the line she stood upon were not part of the restaurant line nor register line.  Indeed a gentleman came up to her and they began a conversation.  I waited patiently but finally asked if she would move ahead.  I did ask nicely.  She replied equally nicely that she wasn't in line at all!  Lol

I am not faulting McDonalds for their policy but I am not sure Cracker Barrel exactly has all the kinks worked out either and this bothers me.  I'd like a little more consistency from place to place.

Second, I have to share what I told John when I got back to the car.  Simply everywhere in Cracker Barrel were Christmas things with one tiny round table of Halloween items... "Were it not for knowing that Autumn will occur this week, I'd swear I'd completely missed the whole season!", I told him.   He laughed but y'all know I'm telling the truth!

We crossed the state line and admired the new overhead signage which stated the highway where we would exit the interstate was 45 minutes away...just a trip to the air force base...

We made the trip this time without one bit of anxiety, without any unexpected detour or getting lost.  Remarkable!  There's a grocery in a large shopping center practically in the middle of nowhere.  We stopped there and picked up dinner for tonight and breakfast for tomorrow morning.  Then we continued our journey. 

We saw many changes along the way including big highway changes and loads of construction, as well as new businesses.  Then we crossed the St. Johns River and we had officially made it to St. Augustine albeit the very outer edges but near our final destination.

Packing light and shopping light paid off.  We made it into the condo with not one cross word nor one huff and puff at one another.  What's more we  were both very relaxed, not even a little fatigued from our journey.  

It did pour rain as soon as we had all our luggage, etc., out of the car trunk.  We arrived at our room soaked through and discovered a puddle of water running across the living room.   We had to call maintenance who determined it had blown in about the air conditioner unit on the wall.  He said it had poured heavy rain all day Saturday.   He mopped up then did something to the air conditioner and finally we were left alone and could change into dry clothes.

Coffee was so welcome after that bit of trouble, as was supper.  We watched the pounding surf through the balcony doors and listened to the wind whistle and moan thru same.  John said he didn't mind.  He even added happily, "I like it!  It reminds me of "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir".  I was feeling the need to complain over the noise to be honest, but mentioning one of my favorite movies so pleased me and I felt showed off his romantic side.   I was able to swallow those complaints and smile pleasantly instead.  A much nicer way to end the day than complaining, agreed?

Meals: Banana muffins, cheese; burger, shared fries, water; Chicken,  Mac salad for John, Carrot Raisin salad for me.

Monday:  Not a good night for me.  The whistling moaning doors, unfamiliar bed and pillow, familiar snoring all contributed to a poor night over all.  I got up and read for an hour around 1 a.m.,  then went back to bed and slept well enough given the continuation of all of the previous things.

The tropical storm over Bermuda stirred up lots of wind, high tides, and tiny rain squalls.  We sat on our  balcony but were run indoors again and again by rain.  During a dry spell we drove down to the Publix at Hammock.  It's well hidden in a grove of trees and is clad with ship lap siding to further blend in and look less obtrusive.

I had told John I was not going to fret over money at the grocery but he insisted we note every price.  Sigh.  I know he was partly right but so was I.  Prices were definitely set for the vacationing folks and the smaller an item was the higher the price on it.  I tried to think logically about meals and the reality of what we could eat.  It's not cheap to buy vacation foods.  Obviously I'm not going to be baking bread and we still cook from scratch, but it's vacation, not any day at home, you know?  I wanted things that were going to taste good but were easy to prepare and clear up behind.  We didn't buy a bunch of frozen convenience items but it's a different sort of shopping and it is pricier than shopping for at home.

We always buy pretty much the same food on vacation with very little variation.  I wanted us to break out of pattern.  We didn't really.  We each compromised which is always the best way when opinions differ.  We slightly broke pattern, checked prices and agreed on  purchases.  I told John I should just make out a vacation shopping list and save us the trouble of contemplating other items.

One item I was happy to buy, only because John asked me to choose them, was a pretty bouquet of roses, goldenrod, sunflower, Statice and button mums.  I have smiled every time I've looked at them.  These were not pricey, but not my usual $4 bouquet either.

The tides were so high that water freely lapped at edges of A1A on our way back and blew sea spray so thick it looked like fog.  However the sun was shining brightly the whole while.  Still with the wind so heavy we felt we'd been battered and were glad to get back to our condo.

Between brief showers we watched people from the balcony.  The ocean was so rough no one stayed long but my attention was caught by an older woman with a girl of about 7, I think.  They played in the surf for a good bit but then made their way back to a spot nearer my balcony where they were joined by two other girls in their teens.   

The youngest girl started doing cartwheels.  That child turned one cartwheel right after the other and with only a brief break kept right on for a good half hour.   Finally the mom held both hands up, took off running and did a perfect cartwheel herself.   John had come to join me by that point and even though she couldn't hear us, we applauded.  We could see her smile of triumph.

We had a long, deep conversation as we sat there this afternoon.  We had coffee on the balcony and kept talking until time for dinner.

It was a great day with good news twice from two family members, relaxing, with quiet time, and intimate talk.   John cooked and cleared up dinner dishes.  I feel deeply relaxed as though all the most tightly wound places have been eased away.

Meals: Cereal, banana, toast; Turkey sandwich, chips, I added guacamole which John declined; we shared a Steak and Baked Potato, and a tossed salad.

Tuesday:  Woke at 1 a.m. Same as last night.  I got up, then went right back to bed and slept until 6:30 a.m.  I got up and dressed.  Before I had opened the curtain in front of the balcony door John was up.  We watched sunrise together, had coffee and watched people.   Nearly all were couples and many were with dogs.  My favorite dog was a little beagle that barked at every one, and warned every dog off as well.  I just like hearing a beagle bark.  Their very name comes from a French word meaning 'bugler '.

We had breakfast.  John again did the cooking and cleaning.  I warned him I was truly feeling I was on vacation.

After breakfast,  I dressed since John had told me his plans.  There really hasn't been any hard and fast plans this trip except to be here.   However it is also true that there are two things we enjoy here, a trip into Old Town and a drive down the coast.

The tropical storm had moved North and the wind considerably decreased.  The skies were the most perfect blue and the temperatures lovely and far less humid.

So into town.  We saw trolleys running in town and drove up to the depot of one but after talking with the hostess we decided to skip the trolley ride.   With restrictions now, the ride is one hour with no stops and no getting on and off.  She suggested their competitor across the street but their costs were for a two day ticket while we wanted just a one day one.   The prices too were considerably higher than this place.  We wanted to walk to certain shops so we opted to pay for parking near the city gates.  So we paid less for parking (unlimited time once paid).  The price of parking in the building was less than one ticket for the hour drive through town on the trolley so we were quite pleased.

It is no secret that I loathe walking as an exercise but for shopping or sight seeing, I willingly walk.  My knee and ankles usually  hurt just as much as at any other time but I happily go the distance.  Today was the same.

We walked from the parking garage to St. George Street, down to Hippolyta St.  and down further to Flagler College below the Presbyterian Church.  Then back to St. George St. , back to a shop we had already been in near Hippolyta St. , and to the car park.  

Masks are required in shops in Old Town.  I found my sunglasses were inadequate to the slant of the sun, so had to purchase a hat to shield my eyes.  There's another shop that often is a must for Katie and that is Flagler Legacy.  In the 15 or so years we have come here she has wanted a new hoodie with the Flagler logo.   She has paid for them herself these past few years but we are commissioned to purchase one each time.   She said nothing this time so  we got the baby a tee shirt first but walked back to get her a hoodie, when she put in a very late request just as we were getting ready to walk back to the car park.

My most wanted thing this trip was to visit the Spice and Tea Exchange.  I'd stumbled upon a mention of this shop months ago and vowed I would visit next time we came. I admit my new found love of hot tea egged me on.   I utterly ignored the spices and went straight to the teas.    Now I wish I'd at least looked over the spices but perhaps next time.

The shop had big jars of tea to smell and packets of each in various ounces hanging above to choose from.  I bought a Darjeeling and a white tea with berries.  I limited myself to the two but there was another called Russian Caravan  that had a lovely Smokey aroma...yes, I regret not getting that one!  It played well with my romantic girlhood dreams of pre-communistic Russia.

When we left the tea shop John headed to the next street.  There he said, "There's a second hand book store...go on in.  I'll sit right here."   I did not need to be asked twice.  This store was a happy stumble upon.  For all that we are familiar with Old town, few shops are the same from visit to visit.  But I had commented earlier to John, as we passed a block of antique stores further uptown, that I'd love to find a second hand book store.  So I went in....

I found a few books .  A biography of Dame Maggie Smith, a lovely little hardbound copy of Walden, an Alaskan pioneer story, and a book I had read long ago, The Red Tent.  I had a lovely conversation with the proprietor who had lived in Maine, and also lived in Concord, Mass near Walden Pond.  I  asked if she'd visited Orchard House.  Frankly she seemed surprised I knew of Louisa  May Alcott, but she answered in the affirmative.  We chatted the while I was in the store.

In every place I went, I was one of one shoppers.  I and the sales clerks wore masks.  There were few people on the streets.  It was unusual but it afforded me conversations I might not have had if things had been as busy as usual.

What happens next is funny but wasn't at the time.

We had returned to St. George St.  The last three stops we meant to make face into an alleyway filled with shops, a small hotel, cafe tables and a fountain.  It is a place we are very familiar with.  On one corner is a chocolate shop.  I love Orange creams and only in St. Augustine do I indulge in them.  As we came to the corner, I noted an entry door facing onto St. George.

John had mentioned going into two other shops just around the corner in the alley and indeed this store also had a door onto that alley, a visible public door.  I told him I'd just use the nearer door to enter and meet him outside.  I saw him go to the corner.

I placed my order, picked up my items, and walked out the second entry door which opens into the alley.  I didn't see John, but there were the two stores he'd said he'd wanted to go into.  I assumed he was in one of them.  I sat down at a cafe table and waited.  And waited.  And waited.

I know my husband is a talker.  But really the length of time that had passed was ridiculous.  I texted him that I was in the courtyard.  Where was he?  No answer. I texted again and waited.  No reply.

Had he not realized I was going into the chocolate shop?  I went over the moment of our parting in my mind.  He was at the corner, turned facing the alley.  I had put out my hand and opened the door.  I had said I'd use that entrance...Had he continued on to the car?  Returned to St. George street looking for me?  Gone to look for me thinking I was lost?

One of my fears, based on childhood experiences, is of being forgotten and left behind.  I have good reason for that fear that I won't go into and for half a moment, fear rose in my throat.  But then I remembered John has no sense of direction at all.  He was most likely lost...Had he left his phone on silent, a bad habit of his from work days? Or had he left it in the car?  Had he gotten confused at the corner and not finding me with him attempted to go on by himself?  I could just picture him blocks from where I sat...

I called.  No answer.  Irritation rose and displaced fear. 

By this time, I realized that John likely was only aware of the color of my new hat and might not recognize me without it.  I put it back on my head and contemplated what to do.  Admittedly pissed by now, I pictured my poor lost husband standing on the street looking bewildered and likely angry with me.  How dare he be?  WHY wasn't he with me?  What was I to do?!

I decided to stay where I was and  called him again...and no answer.  I knew he could tell a stranger, cop, or shopkeeper where we had parked and follow directions to the car from there.  He  knew the name of our vacation rental, had cash and a room key...I also knew he would never go anywhere without finding me first.

I called again.  I left a snippy message. And then another.  Radio silence.  I've only ever known him to go phoneless when mowing or at church.  Surely he had his phone?

Supposing he had his phone I decided to redial until the thing vibrated continually enough to irritate him.  I was shocked to finally hear him say "Hello?"  " Where are you? " we asked at the same time.  I replied I was in the courtyard.  Where was he?  "Waiting right outside the door you went in! Why would I be anywhere else?  What courtyard?"  At this point we were getting a bit snappy.  "Come around the corner, " I  said quietly.

I cannot describe my relief at seeing him...and he appeared the same at seeing me.

He came and sat down with me.  We both began talking at once, laughing and joking, but serious as well.  He acknowledged he had realized he didn't know what I was wearing.  This struck me as so man-like because I had specifically asked how I looked that morning after I dressed and he had looked at me!  "I will start taking a picture of you the way parents are told to do with children!"  " You would be easy to describe...you always have on a black shirt...but you might just turn your phone on...and I will make it a point to exit by the same door  I used to enter. "

He bought me coffee and when we were fully recovered we walked back to the shop Katie requested we visit, then after that errand we went to our car and headed back to our beach.

Meals:  Eggo waffle, yogurt, cheese and orange juice.  Odd, I admit but for me it was a good balance of carb and protein and held me until we returned to the condo at 3p.m.; Broiled burger patty, green beans and Mac n cheese.

Wednesday:  I saw a lovely sunrise on my own, did Bible study and had first coffee before John got up.

Weather was much improved today.  The sea more normal and no moaning winds.  We drove down A1A to Ormond by the Sea.  Though we had arrived just after noon we heard only one song played by the Carrillion.  It was 12:05 and the program was done.  In the past,  it was nearer 30 minutes long.

I'd promised Taylor a " pretty shell", and recalled roadside shack after shack solely for shell sales.  No longer.  In fact, finding a beach store proved equally difficult but we did  as we got nearer the south edge of Ormond By The Sea and purchased t-shirts for the boys and Millie, and a conch shell for Taylor.  

The shell is a sentimental purchase.  As a child, about Taylor's age I discovered a jar  of shells under Granny's sink, one of which was a small conch.  I remember the wonder of hearing the ocean when I held it to my ear.  I want to pass on my memory to her.  I had offered to bring Josh and Isaac a shell but Josh had told me, "We have shells from our beach in Florida already."  Hence the t-shirts.

We turned back North after that stop  and went to a pub for late solitary lunch (only two other couples on opposite sides of a cavernous space) then to the condo once more.

Meals: Omelet, grits, toast; fish n chips for me, burger for John; Protein granola with Apple for me, cereal, toast and Apple for John.

Thursday:  Sunrise on the balcony with coffee and John.  Our only plans today were to pack our things, while John planned to go do laundry and for my part, I did a mini 'Gathering Fragments' to insure we used all the foods that mightn't make it home safely.

My first gathering was to make a fruit salad for breakfast this morning, which we had with our cheese toast.  I'd noted last night that the orange I'd bought had a bad spot on one side.  On cutting it, I found the spot had not penetrated inward and so was able to cut the rest of the orange into segments which I'd refrigerated.  We also had a portion of the apple we'd each eaten some of the day before.  It was a really big apple!  And a banana that was perfectly ripe, which meant John wouldn't willingly touch it on his own.  This made a nice amount of fruit salad for our morning meal.

While John was doing laundry, I cooked the last of the mushrooms and onion and cut up the last steak into strips.   We had a handful of lettuce left in the bag, lots of cherry tomatoes.  I cut up several smaller sections of a bakery bread into croutons and toasted them.  I wasn't sure we had enough lettuce to make a salad but I was sure with the rest we'd have a decent salad.  I topped with the warmed up steak and cooked vegetables.   It made a very good salad for us.

I also got my things packed and packed up as much of the kitchen stuff as I could.  I planned meals with the rest of the foodstuffs for supper, breakfast and lunch on our way home tomorrow.  Here's what I planned.

We had one russet potato left, baking size...less than half a pound of ground beef, a can of baked beans and bread.  Also 2 eggs, a half cup of cooked grits, 5 Eggo waffles, and enough bread and Deli turkey breast to make sandwiches.  I also have yogurt and milk...

So our meals will play our like this: Burger patties, with Oven fries and Baked Beans.  John will probably opt for bread, but I don't want the bread myself.    That will be our supper for tonight.

For breakfast we'll have Eggos with an egg each and share the grits.  I'll make sandwiches for tomorrow's lunch on the road. We'll have yogurt, too.  

I'll freeze the rest of the milk (about 2 quarts) because it will act as cold pack for the cheese and jelly we'll be carrying home.  I froze a couple of water bottles as well.   That should keep everything nice and cold for our trip home.

I prepped all the food I could right away and plan to spend every moment I can on the balcony watching people and dogs on the beach.

Friday:  Home at last...No balcony sitting this morning to watch sunrise.  I had pretty much packed all we could last night but there's always the few other things that must wait.   As well, we're responsible for cleaning our own dishes used at the condo even on the last morning, so there was that to do, showers and dressing to be done, and repacking the car.

By 9am when we were ready to leave it was already 85F.   Normally I feel sad about leaving but I was glad to be heading homeward.   

I'd had a call from Katie mid afternoon yesterday to say that she was trying to get a call through to the pediatrician.  Caleb and she both had a light cold but the family member they'd visited the previous weekend had tested positive for Covid and immediately contacted them... The little family were tested and were also positive.  I have checked in with them several times and they are resting and drinking lots of fluids and following doctor's orders to use standard cold meds and acetaminophen.  Fortunately Katie was recently given Thieves Oil and a special oil blend for babies that she said was helping Caleb's symptoms a great deal.  

Still, prayers would be most welcome.  

They are fine, experiencing only minor aches and pains and are isolating at home for the duration.  I will run errands and make drop offs on their doorstep for as long as they need me to do so, including homemade chicken broth soup.   I've got the broth thawing on my kitchen counter as we speak.  It was the very first thing I did when I walked in the back door, going right to the freezer to take it out.

I really need to go to the grocery store.  I've no onions and am out of many other things but that will happen in time.

Now we look forward to Shabat.  And our own beds and routines once again.  It was lovely to be away from home but t's lovely to be home again.  

8 comments:

Lana said...

I am so happy that you could have a nice long getaway!! Sometimes we drive up A1A when we are leaving Florida and it is such a nice drive. Ormond by the Sea is beautiful. Publix stores are so different down there than here with their shady parking lots and themed stores to fit the areas. I am always surprised. When our son lived in the Concord, MA area we ended up in a traffic jam right beside Walden Pond and I was shocked at how small and unexciting it was. Kind of ruined my day! But, Orchard House is perhaps my favorite historic place ever. Your story about getting separated from John just about made me sick! It is so much like the night my husband went to run the errand and did not come home because he had the heart attack in the grocery store parking lot. I am sorry to hear that Katie's family has the virus. I will pray for them.

We had a super productive week and it feels good to get to the end of the week and know that all but one item on our list has been completed and we can easily do the last one tomorrow. I also hope to load up a ton of donations piled in the garage and get rid of them. I feel brave enough to shop for pink things now for our new granddaughter since she is at 31 weeks.

Have a good weekend. I know you are glad to be home just in time to help your Katie.

Angela said...

I was hoping you had finally gotten a vacation! We are in your neck of the woods at FDR state park. Tomorrow we plan to lunch at the Bulloch House. I have never been!

terricheney said...

Angela, are you camping or renting a cottage? Let me know how the cottages are if it's the latter as we've talked of doing that as a quick away for us. Little White House is also a must see in my opinion. Have fun!

Lana, Gracious...I never got to the point of worrying he might be ill! I'd have been undone...For himself, he watched a cop walk into the store where I was and wondered what I'd done that they called the cop in, lol. Ty for prayers. I do appreciate it.

Liz from new york said...

Prayers for your family! I’m so happy you got a chance to get away. My son owns a home right there in St.Johns county, the visit St. Augustine all the time they love it. I’ve never been. Have a great week! Liz



Kathy said...

Welcome home!
So glad you were able to go on vacation. St Augustine sounds lovely. I'm going to put it on my bucket list for when we are empty nesters.
Hope Katie and Caleb feel better soon with no lasting effects, and I hope everyone else stays healthy.
Get some rest too.

Chef Owings said...

I just noticed that some of the smoked sausage and such is at 12 oz. I had to search for 16 oz. Meat manager said most of the prepackages are coming in smaller and at higher prices

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Prayers for the health of Katie and Caleb. I hope they will be well soon.

I'm sure happy for you that got to get your vacation time in. It sounds like a wonderful time.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri, your vacation sounded like the perfect combination between comfy and adventure. Of course, barring that brief patch of missing each other at the shops. That's such a bad feeling to have lost contact with John during your little adventure. It makes for a fun story after the fact but I hear you that it's definitely not funny at the time (speaking from my own, similar, experience)!
I especially enjoyed hearing about your encounter with the shop owner from Concord, MA. We lived very near there when I was in grade school (4th, 5th and part of 6th grade) before we moved to California for my mother's health (MS made it harder for her to walk in snow etc.). In fifth grade my parents took my one brother and I to visit Orchard House. As a souvenir, they purchased us an Orchard House edition of "Little Men" with an inscription from my mother hoping it would "....inspire any writing". I confess, for that year at least, it was my favorite of LM Alcott's books, even surpassing (briefly) my beloved "Little Women". It's so full of little wisdoms. I must have read and reread it a dozen times that year.
So sorry to hear about the virus affecting Katie and Caleb... sending healing prayers to them both.
I agree with you that it's fun to go off on a little vacation but I seem to appreciate home all the more once we return. Makes me think of that old saying, "There's nothing like home when you've left it and money when it's spent." Haha.
As always, thank you so much for sharing with us all.
Much love,
Tracey
x0x

Coffee Chat: Just Chatting