The Week Ahead: Twixt and Tween

 

I'd say this kitchen is likely from the 1920's based on the freestanding  cabinet next to the stove.  And while it' s just a glimpse of a corner of a kitchen really there's a lot to see in this photo.  The wide tiles used to cover the walls, including that tile border, means the kitchen could easily be wiped down and kept sanitary.  The plaid tile floor is rather trendy, too.   Note the dishtowel rack underneath the window, handy to dry damp cloths or to have clean dry cloths to use to hold hot pans or pot handles.


I'm not sure how easily those canisters might be reached especially if the stove were in use already.  Being on the shorter side (5'3"), I feel it might be a struggle. I do like that the ladles and such are hanging nearby but again...could I reach them?

That cabinet next to the stove offers enough storage space to hold the dishes up top.  I'd say, given the view that the top has three sections because the bottom undoubtedly must since a second door is just visible.  It appears that the surface of that cabinet is suitable for food prep.

Last I note the window curtain which is rather artsy and dramatic, even compared to the plaid tile on the floor.

Work:  


After church tomorrow, I want to go by the grocery and pick up a couple of items on sale at Publix.  I'll strip bed and bath tomorrow and get that laundry done.  I'm going to also try to do Reclamation work on Sunday and start Zone work on Monday.

Zone for this week will be the bedrooms and bathrooms.   I plan to wash curtains in the bedrooms and music room which will finish off that task.  In my room I want to make sure I vacuum the headboard which is fabric covered.  In the back bedroom general straightening is needed once again.

If I have the opportunity, I'll hang quilts to air.  Weather app 

I need to spend some time baking this week: bagels, English muffins, and Shabat bread.  This week on Shabat we have Rosh Hashanah.  Typically a round Challah is used for this Shabat.   I've never made a round one before but I'm going to try this week!  

Because it's in my back bedroom I also plan to do work in the pantry, straightening, organizing by expiration dates, and making a list so I can fill in gaps when we do our grocery shopping in October.  

We have a major errand day planned one day.

I am slated to maybe keep Isaac and Millie one morning.  

I want to get a few meals together for the freezer, while I've got the space available.

I hope to get a lemon thyme and oregano moved from the pink planter into pots so I can shelter them to winter over.

I'd really like to decorate for autumn, or at least put out a few things.  We'll see if I can make it out to the shed this week to do anything. 

At some point this week I want to heavily soak potted plants and make sure they are in shaded areas since the heat is not abating.  

Meals: 


 

Roasted Chicken with Potatoes, Onions, Carrots, and Apples   I never serve anything else with this unless we have bread.

Beef Bbq Cups, Corn, Coleslaw

Pepper Steak, Rice, Egg Rolls

Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole, Spinach Salad, Biscuits

Goulash, Green Salad

Corned Beef Hash, Fried Eggs, Toast

Meal out

Leisure:



I have several books going at once just now...I will continue to read in spare moments instead of staring at my phone or computer. 

Make the ruffle for my doll's apron. 


9 comments:

Lana said...

I'm sure I could not reach anything behind that stove without getting burned! Your menus sound good. I am back to ho hum about food. I did make the most delicious lasagna last week. I had given up on finding a good recipe and finally have found one. We plan to grill pork chops tomorrow and that does sound good.

I am determined to get back to the discount grocery as soon as we get the van back from the shop to check for that ground pork. I need to restock the freezer with taco meat and sloppy joe. We will have small group breakfast on Wednesday and also need to take a big load of things to the thrift store this week. Friends have a foster kids hearing this week. We are all so worried that the judge will give the kids back to the mother who is unfit to care for them. We are hoping to be able to access the hearing online but meanwhile we are praying and asking God to keep the kids where they are cared for and loved.

Enjoy your week!

Rhonda said...

Hello, I’m so enjoying these vintage kitchen photos you’re posting.
The canisters look cute but above the stove would be very impractical as they would get greasy up there.
Hope you have a good week.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I wonder if that kitchen may have been created by some very tall, long armed man. Everything looks way too high up for me to reach and I'm 5 ft 5 in. One would have to have their serving spoons and ladles and other cooking tools down within reach before starting to cook.

Roasted chicken sounds delicious. I used to like to get skin on, bone in chicken breasts, but in the store we (my husband is doing the shopping these days) shop, they never seem to have regular old fashioned chicken breasts, but tons of the skinless boneless chicken breasts instead. Those are so flavorless to me, unless I add a lot of seasoning or breading, that I don't care for them. When it cools down a bit more I will get a nice whole chicken to roast.

We have seen our daughter and grandson several times in the past few months, but since our daughter and son in law are both in high risk jobs, we don't get too close to each other, and have done our visiting outside. I am missing hugging them so much.

terricheney said...

Lana, I'm just sure I couldn't reach either. Even knowing that many stoves were barely hip high (which gives meaning to that 'bending over a hot stove all day' phrase) much less waist height this stove does appear to be taller...And given the width and mine I'm pretty sure I'm not reaching over that stove to get ladles or spoons much less canisters!

Rhonda, I am having fun looking at these kitchens myself. Picking them apart and noticing details has made me stop and think. I have a vintage set of canisters and I love them, but not above my stove! lol I have a small decorative shelf above my stove but keep only three or four items on it just because they do get greasy and need to be wiped down frequently.

Susie, the chicken was delicious!
We bought bone in breasts today. I hope they are tender but do wonder as they were HUGE. I had planned to half them between us but one I am seriously considering roasting as is and slicing because it was just that large. Bone in meats do have more flavor and that's a fact. I miss getting a bone in roast. I used to make beef broth and soup with the bones after cooking the roasts and they still had plenty of flavor in them. Alas the day of bone in meats has just about gone away.
I'm so glad you were able to see your grandchildren.

Liz from new york said...

Slowly but surely working me way through the house. Getting bags together for a donation pickup. Some outdated but still entirely useful small kitchen appliances that are just collecting dust. I started a new book about a week ago, ‘Imagine Heaven ‘, by John Burke. So far, it’s a really comforting book about near death experiences, and heaven. It’s actually so good, I’ve put it down for now, till I can completely immerse myself in it. Reading it ain’t drips and drabs isn’t enjoyable to me, so I’ll wait till I have a nice chunk of time to absorb it. That’s it for this weeek! Best, Liz

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri, I love the vintage kitchens with free standing cabinets as opposed to built ins. Years ago, I was very enamored with the Laura Ashley home decorating books which featured kitchens cobbled together with free standing furniture. You are right about the illogic of those canisters being placed above the stove. I'd probably drop them onto the stove while things were cooking, knowing me. However, I do like that towel rack very much! Your meals sound yummy, may I ask what exactly are Barbecue beef cups, they sound intriguing!
It's long overdue for me to spend time with a paper book and you have given me a much needed reminder here.
Much Love,
Tracey
x0x
P.S. I love that you're making an apron for the doll...I loved making clothes for my girls' dollies when they were little. I'd put on an Anne of Green Gables movie and sew up a storm (they were my "getting things done" movies for some reason. x0x

terricheney said...

Liz I continue here as well.
There are some books I can only take in dribs and drabs, such as the Evelyn Underhill book I read last autumn? Winter? Anyway, it was so far above my normal range of thinking that I had to digest it slowly as it made for a very rich meal for my more pedestrian sort of mind, lol. But I do enjoy devoting say a whole morning to reading when I really ought to be working!

Tracey, I've just finished Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen, one book I've never read but had seen a PBS presentation of years upon years ago. I have a little difficulty at first immersing myself in her books and then I catch the rhythm of her writing and language and I am engrossed, lol.

Yes, I found myself waking after just a few moments last night, so I lay abed and 'dressed' the doll in my mind, planning out things I might make for her. I just need to get over my hesitation and get to it. She's slightly smaller in size than American girls though the height is the same so I am adjusting as I go...The apron is not nearly done. I sat down with it this week but was not happy with my wibbly wobbly cutting of the ruffles, so will redo those more precisely and then go to work upon it properly. I thnk I'm going to get a great deal of enjoyment with my doll...

terricheney said...

Oops! I forgot to share the recipe for the Bbq Cups. Super easy and not much to it. I used homemade biscuits but you can use canned ones. Line muffin tins with the biscuit dough, then fill with cooked hamburger and onion and mixed with your favorite Bbq sauce. Top with shredded cheddar. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes or so.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the barbecue cups recipe Terri! I think Mike might really enjoy those. I often dice up leftover chicken or beef and mix with barbecue sauce to make sandwiches so this might be a nice change of pace but still a fairly safe bet as it's close to something he already enjoys!
Love,
Traceyx0x