Budget Eating: Healthier Than You Might Think




I was making dinner the other day and realized that there are five items in my pantry/fridge that are fresh ingredients, always on hand and budget friendly.  I find them to be versatile, healthy and easily available year round.  They tend to have a long shelf life if stored properly so they are wonderful for the once a month shopper to keep on hand.

Besides their common availability all five also have in common  that they provide nutrients, fiber and many necessary vitamins and minerals.  


The three are generally called aromatic vegetables and are commonly used in winter's slow cooking roasts, stews and soups.   But we would be remiss not to also serve them in spring and summer when they may be eaten uncooked as well as cooked.  These three are carrots, celery and onions.

The other two items I always have on hand in every season of the year: Potatoes and cabbage.   Again, I find both incredibly versatile.  Of the five all but the potatoes may be eaten raw or cooked.  All lend themselves to multiples of recipes.  



Cabbage:  Is a low glycemic (meaning it doesn't raise your blood sugar) food.  It has minimal protein but is high in fiber, low in carbs and has a natural sweetness that is lovely when it's fresh.  

Cabbage is a good source of potassium, folate and Vitamin K.   It also provides some calcium, Vitamins A and C and has lutein and zeaxanthin, forms of Vitamin A that are especially well suited to protecting vision.  Cabbage also  has antioxidants that protect against cancer and macular degeneration.  

Due to it's potassium content, eating cabbage will lower blood pressure and the fiber will help bring down cholesterol counts.    It promotes blood flow, which is good for the brain and helps improve memory and mental alertness.

One of the only cautions  that might arise with this vegetable is that it does contain Vitamin K and people who take blood thinners should not go on a cabbage diet.  My nutritionist recommended I eat no more than I typically would eat of foods with Vitamin K.  You may safely indulge in small amounts if you're just now introducing it into your diet and are taking blood thinners.  Otherwise, enjoy this vegetable as much as you'd like.

In my area, cabbage runs anywhere from 49c to 99c a pound.   Most heads weigh about two pounds.   I usually keep both a red and a green cabbage on hand.  Red cabbages are higher in cost and harder to find in my area than green.   Typically when I do find red cabbage I have to look hard for non-organic types.  Organic cabbages run around $2.99 a pound at times in my area and a case of cash register tape shock could develop if you are not prepared for the higher cost.    I wish I could tell you how much the non-organic red cabbage typically runs but I can't recall.  I think it's a little over $1 a pound but it's not prohibitive even at that.

While there are a variety of green cabbages, I am referring to the round heads that are heavy and solidly green with a pale interior.    This is what I keep on hand for the majority of my usage.  But there are many other types of green cabbages including Savoy and Napa as well as some Chinese types.  These are generally higher in cost but each of them are delicious.

I like green  cabbage cooked in a variety of ways: steamed, boiled, pan fried, or baked.  One of my favorite side dishes is to steam cabbage lightly, add in cooked onion, milk and pour into a baking dish, then top with bread crumbs and bake for a half hour or so.  Even folks who told me they didn't like cabbage ate this side dish right up.    Many people love finely sliced cabbage on tacos, both fish and beef rather than lettuce.   When I buy  green cabbage I generally remove the coarse outer leaves (these may be cooked like collard greens).  I steam the outer leaves and use them to make cabbage  rolls.  I  remove the hard white center stem of each leaf and then like to stuff with a ground meat mixture and serve in a tomato based sauce.    

I like to serve raw salads such as Coleslaw or a beautiful raw salad a friend of mine made.  He cut thin slivers of green and red cabbage, skinny sticks of carrot, slices of red bell pepper and whatever other vegetables he had on hand,  though those three are sufficient,  then he made a salad dressing of cumin, salt and pepper, olive oil and red wine vinegar to dress the salad.  This is a lovely and unusual salad and always gets raves when I serve it.   I've added chopped pistachios to the top just before serving.  Very thinly sliced cabbage is excellent on tacos.   

You can also use raw cabbage to make sauerkraut at home and have the benefit of fermented food to nourish your gut with good probiotics.

I generally use my red cabbage raw in salads and slaws.   I find it adds a lovely color which in winter easily replaces tomatoes in tossed salads (along with grated carrots).   You can also cook the red cabbage in a variety of ways.

To store cabbage I usually remove the coarse outer leaves first.  Once the outer leaves are removed, I rinse the head thoroughly, allow to dry for a few minutes then I wrap in a cotton towel (I like flour sack  towels) and place in a plastic bag.   I can keep a cabbage for a month.   After the cabbage is cut, it sometimes develops a grayed edge. I simply slice that off and keep using it as long as it's not molded or slimy.  

I do not attempt to eat the tough core which will easily be seen when the cabbage is cut into.  I cut that away and feed it to the chickens across the field or compost it.   



Carrots:  Carrots are a particularly good source of Vitamin K1, beta carotene, potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin H or Biotin,  Vitamin B6,  fiber and antioxidants.

They promote eye health, fight against cancer, and are heart healthy (hello potassium).  They also promote gut health and lower cholesterol.

For optimal absorption of the beta carotene which promotes eye health with lutein and lycopene, carrots should be cooked and served with a little fat to help with absorption.

Carrots are naturally sweet and are excellent to add to tomato based sauces to help neutralize acids.  For years now, I've added a grated carrot to spaghetti sauces.  I've also added grated carrots to meatloaves and sloppy joes.  If the children don't know they are there they usually will eat them right up. 

John doesn't care for cooked carrots but it doesn't stop me cooking with them.  In dishes where carrots are very important for flavor, I will shred them.  He doesn't mind eating shredded carrots that have been cooked in a dish, at all.  In other dishes, I leave them large enough so that he can remove them when I serve the meal.   It's a textural thing with him, I think.  That limits me in my uses when cooking only in that I can't serve them cooked as a side dish.  I love roasted carrots and glazed carrots, too but I forgo those unless I really have a strong craving for such or there are lots of other vegetables being roasted at the same time. If pureed you can make a soufflĂ© that rivals Sweet Potato soufflĂ©.

And carrots are also nice when used in sweet baked items, like cookies, cakes, or muffins.

Carrots are generally included in the Mirepoix, aromatic vegetables sauteed and then added to dishes to increase flavor and richness.   Mirepoix typically form the base of most stews,  soups, pot roasts (which include corned beef and chicken as well as red meat roasts) and pot pies.

Raw Carrots, of course, make a nice snack with hummus, or salad dressing.  A retro recipe that I like  is Carrot and Raisin Salad.   Carrots grated or sliced to top a raw lettuce salad or added to coleslaw will add a lovely color and nutritional boost .  Grated carrots also add something to a peanut butter sandwich.   Though it may sound unusual, it's delicious.   I also like to pickle raw grated carrot as a side to a sweeter stir fry dish.  It helps tone down the sweetness and brings a much needed 'bite' to the meal.

I don't do anything special to keep carrots.  They do very well unwashed in the original bag.  I wash before using and will scrub hard or scrape the outer skin though some feel this is not necessary.  I save the tops and tails of carrots, along with celery and onions to use when I'm making bone broth.  



Celery:  Celery was originally used as a medicinal plant but it is commonly used in kitchens around the world.     

Celery contains Vitamins K, A, C, potassium, natural sodium, folate, choline, and fluoride and micronutrients.  It's cellulose structure makes it high in fiber and a gut healthy food.

Celery contains several flavonoids which promote pancreatic health; eye health' especially those associated with diabetes, and helps stop the progression of diabetes.  Because of the high potassium content, it is a heart healthy vegetable.   But more than that, celery contains certain properties that  promote nerve health, acts as a diuretic, may reduce asthma, migraines and neutralizes the acidity of the body.  It's also antioxidant and has certain properties that promote healing of cancer cells.

I like to use the leaves from celery stalks to season broths or toss into salads.   Celery may be served raw in salads or on it's own as a side dish (Buffalo wings, anyone?).   Slicedit adds a nice crunch to chicken or tuna salads and it is a good accompaniment to what might be a too sweet Waldorf  or Grape Salad.

Celery makes an excellent snack with hummus, peanut butter, pimento cheese, or a salad dressing as a dip.  Cream cheese stuffed celery is something I used to put into John's lunches and he really enjoyed that as a mid afternoon snack.

I cut away the root end of celery, wash it well then save for boiling with stock to season it.  

I use the stalks sliced and cooked in a variety of dishes.  Stuffing a chicken with a stalk of celery, quarter of an onion and a carrot is a good way to impart a lot of flavor to a whole roast chicken.   Sliced celery stirred into fried rice is a nice way to add a crunchy element and it's a good substitute for water chestnuts in most recipes if the crunch is what you are after.  I don't think pot roast is half so good unless a stalk or two of celery went in with the carrots and potatoes.  It's good in most slow cooked dishes like stews and soups and spaghetti sauces.

One caution:  Justin Wilson, a famed Cajun chef, once said  to use celery in moderation when making Cajun dishes as too much of it would make the food bland.  Just keep that in mind.    

To store celery, I remove it from the plastic bag, cut away any spots that look questionable, then wash well under cool running water.  I allow it to dry for a few minutes upside down, then wrap in a flour sack cloth or linen napkin, wrap aluminum foil tightly about that and then slip back inside the original plastic bag.   I can keep celery  all month long with only  the most minor trimming required...if we don't use it all up!

If you don't want to save the leaves for using right now, dehydrate them in a low oven.  They store well on your spice shelf and are just as flavorful when used in any cooked dish.





Onions:   Onions typically come in red, white or yellow varieties.  You may also buy green onions (which are the tender shoots that eventually grow into larger onions).  It is part of the allium family which includes shallots and garlic. 

You might be surprised to learn that onions are a good source of Vitamin C and they support the building and maintenance of collagen.  They also contain manganese, calcium, iron, folate, phosphorus, protein, sugar, fiber, quercetin, and sulfur.

They have the ability help lower blood pressure. They have antioxidant qualities that help fight cancer.

Some are sweeter and less pungent such as my native Georgian Vidalia or Texas Sweet or Walla Walla.  These are usually the best for eating raw, alone or in salads.  These sweet varieties are generally only available in season, but the other varieties which can be bought year round.

Onions are so fragrant and flavorful that many dieticians recommend them as seasoning, especially in low sodium diets.  Allergic reactions to onions are rare so they are a good dietary food for nearly all people.

Personally I can't even think how I'd cook without onion.  I do know there are a handful of people who don't like them and manage to have a varied diet with out them, but I just can't imagine it.  

I use onions nearly every day either in main dishes or in side dishes.  They can be roasted whole, creamed, fried, used as seasoning, served raw or pickled.   I find them incredibly versatile.

Before I bring onions home, I check the firmness of the bulbs.  I also make sure there is no mildew forming or green sprouts.  I store them in a cool dark cabinet but NOT with potatoes as they will cause potatoes to sprout more quickly.   Onions may also be stored on a counter top or in a paper bag.  I have mine in a basket but I'm thinking the paper bag idea might be a better idea.

If sprouts or mildew starts to form on onions, remove the affected portion and chop to dehydrate or put in the freezer.  

Potatoes:  A member of the nightshade family they are related to tomatoes and tobacco.  Unlike the tomato and tobacco, potatoes grow as tubers underground.  

Potatoes are high in Vitamin C and potassium especially if served with the skin on. They contain folate and vitamin B6.   They are naturally high in water, contain some protein and a minimal amount of fiber though it is sufficient for those who eat potatoes regularly.   The fiber in potatoes is good for gut health. Potatoes do have a protein value.  While it's lower than in corn, wheat or rice, potatoes actually have more protein than soy beans and other legumes.

Some varieties are higher in sugar than others.  Russet potatoes for instance, convert to glucose more easily than Yukon Gold or Red skinned potatoes.   For this fact alone, I tend to have the Yukon or Red potatoes in my house and limit the intake of Russets to the occasional baked potato.  Not that Yukons don't bake well but if you want the fluffy, mealy texture of a restaurant baked potato, then buy the Russet.  Note too that Yukons have a higher level of lutein than the common white potato.  Purple potatoes have a higher level of Catechin, an antioxidant.

Do not mistake Sweet Potatoes as being from the potato family.  While they are a tuber, they are otherwise unrelated.

My father prided himself on his Irish heritage and one thing we had nearly every single day of the week, every week of the year was potatoes.  Mashed, fried, baked, au gratin, soup, hash browns, boiled...I love potatoes to this day and try to have them at least twice a week, most weeks.  

For storage choose a basket or bin with air holes.  Remove from the plastic bag they come in and spread them out in the basket.  I prefer to line my basket with a newspaper or paper towels.  Do NOT store potatoes in the fridge.  Sprouted potatoes are edible.  Just remove the sprouts before cooking with them.  Do not wash until you are ready to use.  Check routinely for damp or soft places and remove immediately.  If a spoiled potato leaks and the juices get on other potatoes, wash the healthy potatoes that have been exposed to the leakage and then let them dry thoroughly before putting the potatoes back in storage.

13 comments:

Rhonda said...

I have always kept onions, potatoes and carrots on hand and most always have had celery and cabbage.
None are as thrifty as they used to be but I’m very thankful they were all thrifty when I was raising my family on a shoestring.

I remember shopping at the commissary way back when we lived in CA. One of my neighbors was there too and she was shocked I had carrots in my cart, maybe 4 or 5 pounds of them and she asked "whatever will you do with all those carrots?” Previously , I thought everyone bought and used that many carrots.

Anonymous said...

I wondered, when you mentioned onions, if you’d make THE statement that those of us who are allium-sensitive dread...the “I can’t imagine cooking without onions!” statement... And you did :-) They give me stomach issues, sometimes quite bad. I must tell you that I’m getting married in a few months and I had a difficult time finding a caterer willing to make a meal without onion or garlic. I did find one, and i am going to have my day where I can eat ANYTHING on the menu :-)

I appreciate the cabbage storage insight, as they do sometimes go bad before I can cook them.

Shirley in Washington said...

Hi Terri - Thank you for this very useful information. I also grew up in a family where we had potatoes for almost every dinner. My Dad didn't like pasta or rice, only spuds. Thank you for sharing how you store each of these vegetables especially celery. Blessings, Shirley

Louise said...

I LOVE Potatoes and Tomatoes as well BUT they don't like me and my Psoriasis.. All the other veggies you spoke of I can eat and I enjoy them.
I sure enjoyed this blog today and learned a lot from it.Thank you.
Weezie in Alberta, Canada

Donna said...

Vegetables...you're talking my language! Thanks for the nutritional information. Potatoes are probably the most versatile vegetable. Personally I prefer the red or Yukon because of the lower GI. Onions add so much flavor to dishes, either cooked or raw. Can't wait for fresh green onions from the garden. I try to keep a variety of fresh veg that I know will be prepared and eaten within a certain time frame. A couple of spoonsful of baked sweet potato go into my dogs' breakfast. The chickens love greens and when the weather is warmer, they get a head of cabbage that the Urban Farmer has drilled through and hung like a tether ball in their run. The chickens get the outer leaves of a head of cabbage.

Deanna said...

I always keep those items on hand, too. In addition, I nearly always have bell peppers. As you mention, the French mirepois consists of carrots, onion and celery. While onion, celery and bell pepper comprise the "holy trinity" of Cajun and Louisiana Creole cooking. Oh, and I also use a lot of garlic. It's hard to imagine cooking without these ingredients. Definitely the basics most kitchens need.

Jenny C said...

I think my 5 regularly used veggies would be of onions, potatoes, garlic, carrots, and a lettuce/kale. They can go into every recipe and seasoned up or down as needed.

Anonymous said...

Terri, I had to laugh when you said “all but potatoes can be eaten raw”. We always eat raw potatoes. My kids are forever snatching them out of the pan when I’m peeling them. Plus they’re so good when sliced thinly and sprinkled with salt instead of chips. Enjoy your blog so much.

Anonymous said...

I have been away again and just now catching up with you now. I too always keep those veggies plus bell peppers. I got many new ideas from this post to change out some ways I use them. Thanks ! A lot of study and thought went into this I am sure. My parents used to warn us to not eat raw potatoes because it could cause worms. I have no idea if that is in any way true. :-) We are using more yams/sweet potatoes than we used to too. I think of these basics as the pantry vegetables because once bought they do keep so well and can be used as you said, so many ways. Sarah

Anonymous said...

You make me want to run out and buy a ton of veggies! I remember Mom peeling potatoes and everybody wanting a slice or two raw. Love the Vidalia onions. Gramma D

terricheney said...

To all you raw potato eaters: I liked raw slices when I was a child, too. And Gramma D, Granny always said the same thing "You'll get worms..." lol

Rhonda I buy a stalk of celery every single month and I keep about 2 pounds of carrots on hand, though John insists on ONLY baby carrots for his snacking...rolling eyes here, lol. I've never found potatoes or onions as cheaply as some of the midwest vloggers and bloggers mention getting them. Here potatoes are rarely less than 40c a pound and often they are closer to 60c. Carrots are about $1 if I look closely for them. Celery is almost always around 1.19 and cabbage often runs in around 70c a pound but comparatively speaking it's far cheaper than many other more popular vegetables!

Shirley when we had spaghetti we had to have french fries on the side. Any other pasta was unheard of at our home except for the very occasional lasagna. Rice Daddy complained bitterly over the entire meal. By the time we'd finished dinner,we were all miserable with having listened to him fuss over it.

Louise I didn't know that about tomatoes or potatoes possibly triggering psoriasis.

Deanna, You are too right about the green peppers in Creole cooking.

Jenny C, Kale here is very expensive. I'd be more inclined to buy collards instead but they do not taste half so good in soup as kale does.

Karen in WI said...

Yes, these veggies keep well and now with COVID and only making a few grocery runs a month, I appreciate them even more. We also have salads a lot, but I try very hard to eat any lettuce that comes in our house the first few days for freshness. My husband comes from a larger family and he actually didn’t know you could make mashed potatoes with potatoes? Apparently his mother always used potato flakes. Quicker, I guess.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I was visiting a friend's home on hot summer day for lunch and she had prepared delicious chicken salad served on large (store baked) croisant rolls. With that she served salsa with celery sticks instead of corn chips. I m not a big fan of raw celery, but those cool celery sticks with salsa tasted so good to me. I would never have thought to do that on my own. I often have celery dipped into salsa as a cooling snack on a hot day since I discovered it.

My husband could eat potatoes every day. All he puts on them is a little shake of salt. I always thought it might be his Irish ancestry. I know many of our cravings for favorite foods is probably because of the food we ate growing up. But I do wonder if some of our food cravings are some sort of ancestral memories that are somewhere in our DNA. I love cooked cabbage, I don't know where that came from. At home growing up my Mom rarely made cabbage, unless it was sour Kraut. I must have at least one mug of cold milk every day, or my stomach feels growly all day. I never enjoyed drinking coffee very often, only when I got a craving for it.

This is a gross fact. I store about 5 potatoes at a time in a small brown paper bag on an out of the way wooden chair. If one potato starts to go bad, I will find out very quickly, because my little dog will take a small wee near the chair. So gross, so annoying. He is my rotten potato alert system. Luckily, I don't let them go bad very often. Or else!