The Week Ahead: All the Way to the End

 


In my home this week, we are seeing the year through to the end.   I cannot say I'm sorry to see the backside of this year.  It was, in its own way, as difficult as the year that went before.   Just a different sort of difficult than we had in 2020.  

Shabat/Christmas was quiet and lovely.  I enjoyed it very much as did John.  We had a lovely dinner, which was delicious and of which we had plenty of leftovers.  One doesn't go from planning for 4 or 5 and end serving 2 without leftovers.   Never mind.  We added them to our freezer and will make extra meals using those items.


I have made my resolutions for the year ahead and while they look different than resolutions I've made in years past, I feel I've chosen the right thing for me.   I didn't try to shape the year by projects and extended plans that will affect the future.  Instead, I have planned to shape how I face the year.  I think, in light of the past three years, this is the better plan!

I have enjoyed the week I took 'off' and feel far better than I felt at the beginning.  I'm afraid that TMJ reared its head once again, affecting the other jaw and ear, but I seem to be on top of the pain.   There is nothing half so wearing as being in constant pain.

Work:

Undecorate the tree.  I won't have much to do this year to remove decorations and that's a fact.  I want to take off the ornaments from the tree.  I'll take it down entirely on Friday.  I shall miss the gentle light.  I'm going to try and make time to just appreciate its beauty this week.

Mop the floors if I can get to them.   It all depends upon Caleb.  If he's in the mood to nap, then he shall nap.  If he's not, then we shall just work on having a quiet time of lying down.

Yes, I shall have Caleb this week and that pretty much precludes everything.   That's quite all right.  

Prune back the rosebushes.  I'll try to do this today (Sunday).  I don't imagine I'll get outdoors to do them this week otherwise.

Go over checkbook and bring it up to date.  Make out bills.  

Get some end of year paperwork attended to.

Kitchen:

Last week I did a full inventory of all but the kitchen cupboards.   As I plan meals this week, I want to dig into the cupboards and see what I have that I should use.   I'll alter meal plans based on my findings.

In January, I shall begin a pantry and freezer challenge, as I do each year.  We made many changes this past year and aside from some eggs and produce and cheese, I won't need much.  I have shelf stable milk; I make bread weekly, so we should manage without any hard need of the grocery store.

In years past, I've used my savings to restock our freezer and pantry but this year I won't do that.  I may purchase excellent sales/clearance items for the pantry, but I have no room in the freezer.  I do have plans for the savings I'll make in this month which I'll share later.

Tentative menus:

Corned Beef Hash, Green Peas

Mac and Cheese, Green Beans Creole, Salad

Shoebox Supper:  Alpine Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Peach Salads

Hot Dogs with Sauerkraut, Home Fries, Apple Slices

White Chicken Chili, Cornbread

Twice Baked Potatoes, Tossed Salad

Quiche, Asparagus

Personal/Leisure:

John and I have been watching Downton Abby together most evenings.  He's gotten quite involved in the series this time.  I expect that we'll finish it up this week.  I also have the movie that came out a couple of years ago and I want to finish off the week with that so he can see how their lives went on.

Read Little Women.  I started it several weeks ago but never completed the first chapter.  I really want to read the book.  Have you seen Jennifer L. Scott's series about homemaking lessons she's learned from the Little House books?   Well, she's just done a two-part series on Little Women as well.

Relax.  Just plain relax.  Things will get done.  Nothing is worth stressing over!

4 comments:

Chris K in Wisconsin said...

I love Little Women. i think I first read the book when I was about 12 years old. I will be 72 on Tuesday! I think I have honestly read it about 50 times. Each time I re-read any book I am in a new place in my life so I pick up on different things. I always find something new, or a new way to look at what I have read so many times. That is why I am amazed when people say they read something 20 years ago & didn'tlike it, & I ask if they have re-read it and they ask why they would do that, I am surprised. Because in 20 years sooo much has changed in our life & in the world. We are different people!

Hope your week goes well with Caleb & you take time for some self-care each day in the form of rest. Glad you enjoyed your week "off". chris

Tammy said...

We still have one more Christmas celebration, but it won't be until January 22. Greg's niece had a c-section on the 20th, welcoming a new little girl, so we have postponed our holiday gathering until she's had some time to recover.
I haven't taken down any decorations yet, but will by the end of the week. Lots of plans and projects on my mind, I just need to choose what to focus on.
Greg and I took yesterday to just do nothing. I did run a load of laundry and the dishwasher, then spent some time in the cup room, working on gifts for that late celebration. The best part was a two-hour nap that was so needed and appreciated.
I've been contemplating a January pantry/freezer challenge. Later this week I'll clean out cupboards and see just what needs to be used up and what would serve us well to stock up.
I'm glad you had a quiet and lovely Christmas day. Ours was a mix of quiet and chaos, but at the end of the day when everyone went home, I sat down next to Greg, he took my hand in his, and we were just quiet for a few minutes, thankful for, in his words, "a good Christmas".

Rhonda said...

I’m not sad to see 2021 go either but I’m not expecting 2022 to be any easier.
Life is hard here with lots of responsibilities and that’s why I haven’t blogged. I don’t think anyone wants to read me whine.
Don’t worry though, I’m fine and will just carry on as needed.
Hugs to you ❤️

terricheney said...

Dearest Rhonda, it's a hard thing you're doing at present, and I don't envy you the task of it at all. I struggle with resentment and frustration and bitterness in my own situation at present and NOT complaining or whining is a whole lot harder than just letting it go. I pray that you will find peace in the circumstances. Great HUGS to you, dear dear friend. You know you can come vent personally if you just need to let some of the burden loose. Love to you!

Tammy, I read your comment earlier in the week and thought how sweet you and Greg sounded at the end. I know he looks gruff in photos often but it's sweet to see his 'softer' side.


Chris, I too love to reread old, favored books because age does change perspective and perception of what other things might be going on in the books. I'm glad to hear another reader feels the same as I.