Leftover Makeover: Western Chicken and Rice Casserole

 


This past week I had a few leftovers from Sunday dinner, namely cooked, instant brown rice (why does that always seem a little more than al dente?  Is all dehydrated rice that way?) and some of the fried chicken.   As you all know I don't like to reheat fried chicken a second time. I had a thigh and a whole breast half leftover.


I had watched Julia Pacheco make two different chicken and rice dishes and they both looked delicious, but I lacked most of the ingredients used.  Still, I was inspired to see what I might do with my leftovers.

It turned out really good!  John kept telling me how good it was.  I'm glad he liked it because I have half a pan left to eat another day.

This was so simple, since my rice and chicken were already cooked.  That's one of the beauties of a Leftover Makeover.  

I'm calling this Western Chicken and Rice because of the flavor profile, but I didn't add corn nor black beans to my casserole because unfailingly that is exactly what you expect.  I did serve both items as sides since I was out of lettuce.



Western Chicken Casserole

2 cups cooked chicken, chopped 

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 10-oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies

1 10-oz can cream of chicken soup

1 tsp. minced garlic

1/2 tsp each of garlic powder and onion powder, cumin, black pepper and salt

2-3 cups cooked rice 

1/2 cup or so of Grated pepper jack cheese

I combined all ingredients except the cheese and this went into a greased 9 inch square pan.  I heated it for about 35 minutes at 400F and then topped it with the cheese and let it melt.  This will serve four very generously, and likely could stretch to 6 with sides and a salad.  I suggest warmed tortillas, black beans, corn with smoky paprika, and a salad with pico de gallo.

I chose to use the original tomatoes with green chilis because I thought the heat would be nicely dissipated with the rice and bland chicken.  It was just right for us.  We like things our spicy foods to have a pleasant warmth but not a deep lingering heat.

And I'll add that the cooked instant brown rice was much plumper and more moist than at the first meal.


3 comments:

Louise said...

that recipe sounds delicious

Donna said...

Sounds delicious! Have to keep this in mind as we bought a large roasted chicken for the Sabbath at Costco today. Those chickens are about the size of a small turkey. Always plenty of leftovers.

terricheney said...

Louise and Donna, It was good! I think I'd like to have added a bit of enchilada sauce, too for additional flavor. The rice and chicken really toned the tomatoes with green chilies way down. I've got the leftovers for tonight's supper so we'll see if it improved with sitting in the fridge.

Thrifty Thursday: Just Keep Right On