Wednesday Rambling: A Few New Favorite Things

 

I haven't done one of these posts since the end of 2020, I think.   I guess that's partly because I haven't bought just loads of things, but I have gotten a few. 

The below purchases were gotten from Amazon and each item has its own link.  I earn a tiny commission from Amazon if you use my link to go to the site and make a purchase of any item of your choosing.  It does not affect your costs to you.  

I bought these Wilton bread pans after seeing many vloggers using them.  I had a loaf pan but John disliked the size of my bread loaves.  They were smaller than the bread pan in the bread machine but he wanted a 'store bought' sized loaf.  Well that's what this pan gives.



I love this pan.  I only needed one and offered the other to Sam this year when he started making his own bread.  It is a non-stick but not teflon.  I prefer to handwash it, but clean up is super easy.  

Because I wanted a longer bag to store the bread loaf in each week, I ordered these produce bags from Amazon.  I like them so much that I've almost eliminated the use of zippered bags.  They do not come with twist ties (though they really should).  I find I can use a clothespin or clip of some sort to keep them shut.  They aren't pricey and a roll will last me roughly a year.  



I have started using these to divide portions of meat into when I bring it home, then I put those into a zippered bag that I reuse over and over for the same types of meat.  I also find these helpful to store my produce once it's washed and wrapped in cotton cloths.  

All in all, I've found these bags incredibly useful and relatively inexpensive.

Anyone remember my fiasco last Spring when I washed all of the curtains in the house and the bedroom curtains stuck together and then shed great clumps of room darkening material off the backs?  I looked for months for replacement curtains I could afford.  Then The Prudent Homemaker shared a link for these drapes on her site.



They are so nice that I now want to replace the living room drapes with these sometime in the future.  They look like silk, are fully lined, heavy, and light blocking.   The come in a lovely range of colors and they are reasonably priced.  

There's an even less expensive option: you can buy them 'used' for about 1/3 less.  Honestly, I think they are returns.  I went for that option because I needed that additional savings at the time.  Just for comparison, I paid just as much per pair at Dollar General for my old ones and these are really a nice quality.  I'll buy used again if I can get the color/size I'd like for the living room.

I shared my plans to renovate my old kitchen island cabinet and how it fell apart as I rolled it out the back door.  John insisted I get a new one in the size I'd always wanted.   We looked at lots of options and in the end, I chose this kitchen island on casters.



It's about twice the size of my old island.  The proportions are a little more narrow but boy do I love all the extra storage space.  It fits my space perfectly and provides me with additional countertop when I need it.  It's sturdy and went together easily with clear instructions.

While I was replacing the island, John asked if there were other things we had in the house that needed to be replaced.  The list was short.   I have loathed the waffle iron I've had for years now but used because it was a gift.  I asked for recommendations here and a number of readers who replied suggested this model, Presto Belgian Waffle maker.


I'm very happy with this waffle iron. The instructions are precise and the waffles are lovely.  I don't have overflow issues at all with this model and everything is easily cleaned.  I couldn't be happier with it.

John has had Katie cutting his hair for about two years, now.  We originally ordered a Wahl set of clippers and this year we replaced them with another set of Wahl clippers.  Those clippers get a work out, because John gets his hair cut every two weeks.  Katie cut her former partner's hair and now she's cutting Caleb's, as well.   

I did try to get an image of this set but they come out super small and very blurry. 

With the average haircut costing about $12 for a child and $15 for an adult male, these clippers save us a good bit of money!

This is just a plug for a company that really impressed me with customer service.  I ordered new rugs for my kitchen from RugsUSA.   



The rugs I ordered were on sale and because I failed to read carefully, I ordered the recommended rug pads to go under them.  My mistake.  I shouldn't use them on my tile floors.


This company not only sent my product in record time, but when I contacted customer service (online chat help) about returning the rug pads, they were pleasant and instructed me about how to find my way around online to make the whole process painless.  And it was!  The hardest part, so I thought, would be finding a Fed Ex drop off point to make the return after repackaging and printing out the label.  Nope. Turns out that most Dollar General stores have a Fed Ex drop off point located in the store.  I had my choice of several nearby including one right here in my local town.  

The refund processed rapidly and I was reimbursed, minus the charge for the Fed Ex return shipping.  I felt that was entirely fair, since the mistake was mine and not theirs.  I was and am very impressed with this company's customer service!

The rugs are as nice as they looked online, too, by the way.  I'm very happy with my rugs and with my experience with this company.

12 comments:

Angela said...

I bought almost the same curtains in a lovely gold color. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ITAXKNQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
The price is about the same but these may come in some other colors. I am so happy with these. I bought them for my dining room and was afraid the gold might be garish. It is not! It is a lovely bronzy gold color! I could not possibly buy this quality of fabric and line for that price. And I was afraid they would be difficult to iron. Not at all hard. I highly recommend these.
I am going to check the rugs. I spilled some clorox on the one by my sink. Ugh!
Thanks for sharing!

Rhonda said...

I like reading recommendations from real people, you are much more reliable than an Influencer, in my opinion.
Those food bags look very useful, so I just ordered a roll.

Lana said...

I am so glad you like the waffle iron! I think we have had it for a year now and we still love it. Thanks for the recommendation of the bags. They sound great.

terricheney said...

Angela, those are a lovely gold color! I agree that the curtains I purchased look to be the same and they are just a really lovely weight and material. You are so right in that we couldn't make them for what we've paid!
My rugs are not quite the turquoise they appear on computer screen. They are a little more blue but I like them a lot.

Rhonda, Thank you. I want a real person account as well. Some of the people I watch on YouTube only do recommendations on things they actually use and like and I appreciate their 'real' experience accounts.

Lana, The sacks are thin like produce bags at the grocery but as I said for keeping bread fresh I just clip them shut. As for meat, I put in the portion then twist the bag near the piece of meat, then turn the bag down on itself and put that in a zippered bag. I don't have to wash baggies, and yet, I'm saving money. It's awesome, lol.

Chef Owings said...

Paper clips and binder clips get used a lot here for plastic bags.

Now I am thinking about replacing my kitchen roll cart LOL

Anne said...

It's funny when a person has been frugal for a lifetime and then realizes they can actually afford to not be miserable over certain things. This keeps happening to me and my husband keeps encouraging me to get what I need to make my life easier.

Most of my adult life I always made do with the cheapest solution to a problem and I'm 73. A couple of years ago I was telling a friend that I was upgrading my kitchen trash cab to one with a pedal. I was so proud of myself for using "new" technology.

She looked at me strangely and told me they now had cans with sensors that lifted lids when you stood in front of them. Whoa, I thought, lets not get carried away. Maybe I'll look into that when I'm 93. :)

Lana said...

Anne, I am so like you that you had me chucking but if it is still useable why replace it? Our DIL Gandy (Southern Grandmother name) Was told she needed her knee replaced at age 75 and she told the doc she would not live long enough to make use of it. She turned 100 last fall and is still hobbling around on the old knee. Fun fact that she was America's first female pro golfer so she really did wear out that knee.

terricheney said...

Juls, I started to add those when I said what I used to keep the bags shut! lol
I confess I'm thrilled with my rolling island. I can easily push it out of the way when I need extra floor space for grandchildren running through the house or want to set up a table for the children in the kitchen.

Anne, I laughed out loud over your trash can, lol. I didn't know they had them with sensors either!

Lana, my mom refused knee surgery ten years ago. I begged her to reconsider reminding her how very long lived her family is. Instead she chose daily pain and a lot of sitting at home.

Lana said...

Terri. My Dad did not do well with his knee replacement and pretty much never walked again so maybe she just knew. He did it to please my Mom. Gandy is unstoppable. She swims laps at the Y everyday and just keeps going without complaining.

Tammy said...

Your link to RugsUSA led me to check my account there. It was 6 years ago that I purchased the two very large rugs I use in the dining and living rooms. They were on sale and I got a great deal on them, and they've held up nicely. After six years, though, they are faded, but as long as I don't move the couch off the edges, that's not noticeable. Lol. I love your blue rug.

Donna said...

The clippers you showed are the ones I will purchase for the Urban Farmer. The pair he had finally bit the dust. He found a lady barber in the next little town over and she is reasonable.

The bags you use are very similar to ones I get at my local Meijer store. Have to compare the price. I always have a stash of twist ties from produce purchases.

terricheney said...

Tammy I tend to keep my rugs for longer periods of time but I never found one to match the runner in front of the sink and I wanted one to go in the sitting area...So new rugs, as I prefer the two match since they are just about 30 inches apart. These last ones are NOT washable but I have plenty of resolve on hand and I do spot clean with plain water.

Donna, we had a set that lasted us over two years. Supposedly we can send them to be sharpened but John didn't want to be without clippers since he does get his hair cut every two weeks. Now he's talking about shaving and that will likely mean every week, so best to have something we can use. He quickly gets to the fuzzy duckling look if we're a little behind on cutting, lol.

Thrifty Thursday: Just Keep Right On