I Wonder as I Wander: Another Rambling Post

 


I have snippets of things I want to write about that never seem to make it into a post.  They don't 'fit' but nevertheless, I'd kept them thinking they might fit somewhere.  

So here is a post of Random thoughts, likely not entirely connected to the rest of the body...sort of like a normal conversation, at least in my house, since we tend to wander around.  Enjoy!

888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

I was tidying the bathroom the other day and noted that John had left his crumpled and obviously empty toothpaste tube on the counter.  This is his way of letting me know that he is out and needs more.  I am not upset over this method of letting me know that one item is gone, and another is needed for several reasons.  


Number 1: I am the organizer and storer of such things and he has no clue where those things are.  Never mind that he might know if he chose to.  He is content that I do know and will provide.   

Number 2: It is an accepted method of letting me know that if we don't have more, more should be purchased asap.  

So, I reached into the basket under the counter to get a fresh tube and set it out for him in the exact same spot and tossed the old tube.  I also noted that we were down to one more tube.  Time to buy more.

We have a similar system for most things.  I fussed long enough and hard enough years ago about people using the last box or item in storage without telling me we were out that even now, if my grown children go into my pantry to get something they will say, "This is the last one..." and they no longer live at home.  John is good for this as well.  

I try to keep an idea of what my running inventory is in all areas but now and then, I might slip up.  It's good to have others who will let me know when we're down to one or none.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

In the same vein: why is it that when one something runs out another one does also?  Is there an unwritten law somewhere that if you run out of toothpaste the shampoo bottle will also be empty and the mouthwash is suddenly so empty there's barely enough to swish? Or that three lights must blow out at once when you've no fresh bulbs in the house?  Is it an unwritten rule of household that you must run out of aluminum foil, toilet paper and paper towels all at once?

9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

On this same subject:  anyone else find their family is not so much prone to leave an empty container in the pantry as much as they are one that has one cracker, or a handful of chips, or a last lollipop?  I'll raise my hand here for my husband especially is bad about this.  He tends to feel selfish if he eats all or the last of anything, so he leaves it, in case I might have wanted it.  

I, on the other hand, am obviously a selfish pig, because if there are three crackers left in a packet, then I'll eat all three, or I'll polish off the last lollipop or the last handful of chips and then toss the packaging.  I figure if anyone wanted them, they'd be gone long before I reached into the cabinet to find them.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

And finally, my husband might well be prone to kindly leave me the last of any item, but he's learned over the years to never toss a container of anything until I officially pronounce it as empty.  Though he himself will not scrape a peanut butter jar clean (or mayonnaise) nor swish a bit of water in the mustard/ketchup or Bbq sauce bottle, nor even crumple the last five chips into crumbs to top a casserole, he knows that my frugal self will do all those things and fuss if they are simply tossed into the trash with any product at all remaining.  My children, grown though they are, will kindly do the same if they are here.

While they none of them will willingly do completely empty things themselves, and will even blatantly call me cheap over such, they respect my right to utilize the last drops and dregs of all that I have purchased.  They do, however, feel compelled to tell me they won't waste their time doing so!  

I hope that isn't a case of hoping to make my heart burn with shame.  I've never gone at them too hard over how they throw their money around unless they were expecting me to bail them out, something which has seldom happened.  

But I do love it when my husband asks, "Is that empty enough for you, or do you need to clean it out?"  Lol.  

222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222

 As I stood in the kitchen this evening, about to plate up our supper, I looked out the window and felt, not for the first time this week, a wave of sadness coming over me.  The obvious signs of a season's progress: the different slant of the sun, the color upon the trees, the evening chill in the air.  All lovely.  All pleasant. All deeply saddening to me.

This evening after supper, I came to the living room and opened the curtains.  The sun was setting.  I like to see the sky in the evening.  But tonight, I felt a pang as I looked out.  There are bare limbs silhouetted against the sky.  The leaves have partly fallen.  I can plainly see branches where two weeks ago I saw only leaves waving in the last light of the sun.

Slow down.  Slow down, season.  You're going too fast!  Don't you know that once this month is gone, I will have to say goodbye?  

7777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777

And another evening at the kitchen window.  I'd noticed on the way home that afternoon that the fields and trees are turning golden and brown.  

This particular evening as I stood there looking out, a deer walked across the lawn at dusk.  She very nearly blended into the landscape.  Her coat is brown and dark and sort of golden as well.  She was camouflaged as it were, in her natural coat.  Had she not moved, I'd likely never have noticed her at all.

444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444

I am resistant to modern day fiction.  I've read a great many books over the years, and I lean hard upon my older friends: Elizabeth Goudge and Louisa May Alcott.  Emilie Loring and Miss Read.  D. E. Stevenson and Grace Livingston Hill.  If you are at all familiar with these authors, then you know that each is different from the other in so many ways.

 I need the shaking up that modern day reads might give me now and then.  And I feel I am a bit too much with the past and not enough in the present.  BUT I am picky.  I don't like blatant sex.  Or violence.  Or horror.  I don't mind fantasy but I'm not keen on science fiction.  I don't need girlish romance. I like coming of age stories.

Of the modern-day authors, I have read and enjoyed: Billie Letts' Where the Heart Is; Sue Monk Kidd's The Secret Life of Bees; Jan Karon's Mitford series; books by Lisa See, Emilie Richards.  Those novels capture and hold me.  Just for a sampling of modern-day novels I enjoy.

But mostly, I live with the older authors I've mentioned, and I read them again and again.

I am resistant to modern day literature because so many authors highly touted by bestselling lists or talk show hosts, leave me cold.  I've tried reading them and I'm not keen on most of them.  That said, I really enjoyed a few.

So, who are your most favorite modern-day authors?  What books lifted your soul, held you tight in its grasp and made you sigh with sadness when it was over?  I'm open to recommendations.  I need to get out of my reading rut.  

5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

I was watching a Jessica O'Donohue vlog this evening.  She and her parents went to an apple farm to get apples.  As she panned out to show the barn filled with apples, I had a sensory memory so strong that it almost overwhelmed me.  It was the memory of the scent of apples.

When I was a child, we often went to the mountains in the autumn and my parents always bought apples.  The aroma of an old farmstand full of fresh new season apples is an experience everyone should have.  My folks bought bags and bags of apples.  Not plastic bags as we have now, but the old-fashioned brown paper bags which added their own aroma.  If you know, you know.  The car smelled so good all the way home.  We snacked on apples all through the vacation and had more to take home.

Once we returned home, Mama made applesauce, and put apples in the freezer to make pies.  

That is what drives me each autumn to drive out of my usual shopping areas and look for old apple varieties like Macoun.   I'd give much for genuine Winesaps which are a cider apple and have a rich, tart but sweet taste.  My mouth waters just remembering how good those apples were!

But most of all, I long to go stand in an old farm store packed with apples and just stand and draw in long breaths of the aroma.

3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

Place names fascinate me.  I know that many towns/counties/parishes/boroughs are named for famous men who were pivotal in the history of our country or area.  Generals and statesmen, men who are called heroes.  

Some are named for physical features that existed when the homesteader arrived.  It was a descriptive way for directing travelers, "Go by the Round Rock."   

Some are named for daughters or sons of families that settled or were particularly prolific in that area. 

But other places are obviously named for other places/towns and such that existed in other countries.

For instance, in my state we have Rome, Culloden, Cuthbert, Montezuma, Buena Vista, Macon, Damascus, Cairo (admittedly pronounced Kay-Row) and Vienna (also mispronounced as VI-annah).  This always intrigues me.  How did we come to have towns with those names so far from where they originated?

Culloden for instance, was named after a man from Scotland whose last name and home were Culloden.  Did he come to name this place because there was a similarity in landscapes?  Or was it merely because it was his last name and therefore, he tagged it as a lasting legacy to himself?  Was he so homesick for his native Scotland, so lost in the wilderness in which he found himself that he wanted to build a reminder of home?  Was it merely that he thought himself equal to build a utopian version of his childhood home?

I prefer to think it's a form of homesickness, or perhaps even of similar landscapes that reminded him strongly of his childhood, a longing to return to the halcyon days of a happy time in his life, before he'd faced the hardship of traveling thousands of miles via ship and then literally hacking his way to the place he came to at last.

What occurred to create the name of the town called Damascus?  Was it a spiritual awakening that shook the former founder as he was locating his homestead?  I can't pass the directional sign that points toward Damascus without thinking of Paul's road to Damascus experience.

Did the person who originally settled Cairo in Georgia dream of visiting Cairo?  Visit Cairo prior to his coming to the Americas?  Who knows?

Naturally I want to look up the history of all these towns and some day will, but in the meantime, it's a pleasant and intriguing puzzle to contemplate.

3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

Along the same lines, I love driving through the countryside, etc.  And travel videos.   I shall defend my stance of certain landscapes reminding me of that in another area, state or country by saying that frequently I'll be watching something and say to John, "Now that reminds me of the place along Highway XXX, you know where the trees come together overhead and there's a big curve in the road..." and he'll nod and agree.  

Which made me wonder the other day if I had ever had the chance to travel as I so longed to do from my childhood onward, would I have experienced those same feelings in gazing at a real landscape?  A sort of deja vu of place?  Would I have done as my father did, in crossing the Virginia state line for the first time, turned to look at whomever I was traveling with and said in disgust, "Well this looks just like Georgia!  I'm going to turn around and go back into the mountains!"   

1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

And still along the same lines, going back to the halcyon days of childhood, or first love or whenever you found yourself tied to a place heart and soul...

My 'place' is here on this land.  It was safety and security, freedom and unconditional love.  But even before I was aware that it was all those things, something in my spirit lifted high each time we topped the hill above the river valley, and I looked out across the miles of woods and mist and the winding highway and knew that off to the right over yonder near the horizon lay Granny's home.  

In fact, my earliest memories of this place center more around the first view than they do the acknowledgement of feeling loved, treasured, a joy.  That all of those things were found here upon this land are simply as reasonable as finding gold at the end of the rainbow, in my opinion.  It was expected somehow that happiness lay in this place and so it did and so it continues to do so for me.

999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

And there I shall end my current set of ramblings.

15 comments:

Chef Owings said...

Thank you for the chuckles. I think the toilet paper (Hubby leaves the empty on the table AFTER walking by the box for them at the wood stove} and the dishwasher soap compete. Kids were bad about leaving bits and pieces in the bags or boxes. Pay back I guess are far as their own has done it to them.

Have a good day.
Blessed be
Prayers for peace

Lana said...

We have so many strange small town names in SC such as Six Mile and Central and Pumpkintown and Orangeburg where there are no oranges and West Union which means what and Westminster which is just pretty much the entire western half of Oconee County. But, I love the name Walhalla and then Mountain Rest and Travelers Rest which was where travelers from the low country stopped for the night before going up into the mountains to escape the heat and mosquitoes of summer.

I know exactly what you mean about the apple stand smell. I have to get my nose full of that every Fall or it is not Fall. Then we bring them home and put them on a huge bowl in the kitchen and whole house is perfumed. I made my annual apple pie yesterday and yum.

I will never forget the day I came to look at this house where we have been for more than 28 years. I came over the top of the hill and there it was in full view before me. I was pinching myself that we could afford such a beautiful house. I still feel that way every time we have been away for even a night or two and come over the hill and there is home.

Before our wings were clipped we were big road travelers. All the way to Maine and time spent in Boston which we love and west to Alabama and south to Florida dozens of times and all the way down both coasts there and north to Ohio where my heart feels at home in farm country because I am from Iowa. Many times to Pennsylvania where my Mom is from. We have traveled the backroads so many times to really see the country side and even drove through NYC once to just see it. So many places look the same but there are some truly wonderful places and some weirdly wild ones that we will never forget. We even drove by Mystic Pizza on the way home from Boston once. We may never go again but I have all those places stored up as memories that no one can take away. Some long time friends who are likely the poorest people in our circle saved all year for the summer trip and then they loaded the kids in the car that we didn't think would make it across the county. They had their tent and sleeping bags and food packed. They went as far in the direction they wanted to go until their money was half gone and then they turned around and came home. They saw this country from one coast to the other and things we will never get to see and they did it on nothing. But, I have to say in reference to traveling that I truly hate hotels.

So now I have rambled, too.

terricheney said...

Juls, lol, glad it's not just my house!

Lana, Six Mile and Pumpkintown are very familiar names to me. Six Mile is where my great grandmother lived and family still resides in Pickens and in that area, though I've seen none of them in nearly 50 years. Della Lane was the road my great grandmother Della lived on and it was named for her.

Yes, I long to smell apples once more. They don't grow down here are at least not as a cash crop, it's further north in Georgia where they have the orchards.

I can well imagine how you feel seeing home each time!

I don't mind hotels. I'd hate a lot more to be camping all the way lol. However, I think stories like the ones you told are wonderful. I remember an Eda LaShan column in one of the women's magazines about a very large family with one bathroom in the house, who took money they could have used to fund a second bathroom and went skiing with the kids. He said afterward, the kids will never forget skiing. And they'd never mention the second bathroom...

So Much Glory said...

This was a wonderful post and I felt like I was reading words from a kindred spirit. Our husbands share the same names and habits. I had to read that part aloud to my husband!
We have the same, very same taste in literature.
We have unusual town names here as well: Red Lion, Paradise, King of Prussia, Bird-in-Hand, Blue Ball…..you get the idea! Also some folks have unusual last names: Pancake, Toy, Cake, Roadcap, Moist, and I could go on with that as well. Oh, of course we have towns named Hell and Mars too.

Lana said...

Terri, I have put the information about Della Lane into my phone. We are the next county over when we are at the lake and sometimes we go out wandering looking for historic churches when we are over there and end up in Pickens County. If we do and we find it I will send you a picture.

I agree 100% about tent camping. We had hoped to go, go, go in our little RV and that would have been fine with me but doggone it the bathroom trips in the night from a tent would be crazy for us old people!

terricheney said...

So Much, Thank you for commenting! I love meeting new folks here. I think I'd pass on Mars and Hell, but the other places sound interesting to visit. I wonder what possesses people to name things the way they do...

Lana, that was my thought, middle of night bathroom visits. Ain't gonna happen with camping, lol.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

The small suburb I have lived in my entire life is an older suburb not too far from the city of St. Louis. So many people I grew up with have moved about a half hour west of here, across the Missouri River, but still in Missouri, where the houses are big,and new. It is what used to be countryside and farms where my daughter lives now. It is subdivisions as far as you can see on three sides, the highway on the other.

Here in my community people give directions by starting out with"Do you remember where such and such used to be? Well go a couple of blocks past that and you'll find the store, or shop you are looking for. People who haven't lived here for fifty years take a lot more explanation when giving instructions, because they don't remember what a cute and handy little place our community used to be.

Karla said...

What a lovely random road to follow you down! I read many of the same types of books you read as well. I also really love the ones about girls/women who were spies, etc. during WWII. I read a lot of books. Modern and old. I especially love cozy mysteries and some of my favorite authors in that genre are: Diane Mott Davidson, Helena Marchmont, Joanne Fluke, M.C. Beaton, Laura Childs, Lillian Jackson Braun and so many more. For non-mysteries I like Jojo Moyes, Debbie Macomber, Billie Letts, Fannie Flagg, Dorothy Evelyn Smith (hard to find sometimes), D.E. Stevenson, Mary Stewart. There are so many more but goodness, I haven't done a good job keeping track of them.

I love learning about place names and their histories. But I must say one of my favorite things about living in Oklahoma is some of teh hilarious town names we have. Slapout, Slaughterville, Rubottom, Moon, Pink, Non, I.X.L., Straight, Gay, Frogville, Bushyhead, Hooker, Bowlegs, Greasy, Jumbo, Loving, Pump Back. Seriously. Where do people get these ideas?!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

terricheney said...

Susie, I remember things about our small town that no one else likely does. Like the corner that is now a parking lot for the phone company used to be a HUGE blacksmith shop that was turned into a car dealership until it burned down in 197? something. Or that there used to be hotel downtown...where the Red and white used to be and Aultman's grocery (imagine! TWO groceries in this small town and now we don't have even one...) etc. So I might want to give directions as such but no one knows what I am talking about, lol.

Karla, Bushyhead is an Indian name. I know this because a cousin's mom's family was Bushyhead. That's the fun of doing genealogy, lol. The Pumpkintown that Lana mentioned yesterday in South Carolina was a place where pumpkins grew wild in the 1700's. And Owltown in Georgia was an Indian settlement where Owls nested...Those are just a few I looked up.

Shirley in Washington said...

Terri - I agree with another commenter, a post from a kindred spirit! So much of what you shared resonated with me. 4 years ago my daughter and her family (with 3 of our grandkids) moved from being our neighbors to 5 hours away. Such a hard goodbye for us!! Still dealing with missing them. I am praying for you as your daughter is moving away. I am with you about modern fiction. I have a very hard time finding a modern author I really enjoy reading. Like you, I return again and again to my old favorites which are the authors you listed. Right now I have a Miss Read book and a Grace Livingston Hill book I am reading. I do love it when people suggest books and authors they enjoy reading! As for place names, I am also fascinated by them. Here in the beautiful PNW we have many colorful and hard to pronounce Indian place names - Walla Walla, Humptulips, Puyallup - just to name a few. Home is so important to me. We live on acreage that was part of the farm my husband grew up on. I have lived here 45 years and the feeling of coming home, even after a short time away is so comforting and peaceful. It's home! I wonder if that is what we will feel like when we get to heaven someday. Thank you so much for sharing! Blessings, Shirley

Angela said...

Well you know I am not one too often for modern authors either, but I am about 1/2 way through a book I think you would enjoy. Have you read Jane of Lantern Hill by L M Montgomery? It has just the home/homemaking things you love (though they don't start until about 1/4 of the way in) and it is humorous to boot.

My son works for 84 Lumber. The name is from the town they started in- 84, Penn.

Tammy said...

I'll raise my hand for a husband who leaves packages with just the tiniest bits in them, so when I go to use them for a recipe, I don't know they may as well be empty... Argh. He takes care of his own toiletries, so I only worry about mine. I do tell him if he'd let me know he needs something, I'd add it to the groceries, but he'd rather take care of replacing them than have to remember to tell me.
Our tiny town was named after the president of the railroad at the time it was built and our town was founded. Our street and the one a block west are named for the first couple married in town. We got the bride, Lovena, and the groom was Elmer.

terricheney said...

Shirley, I think I want new authors to make me appreciate all my dear old ones!

Angela, I love LM Montgomery. It never occurred to me to try another of her series. I'll have to do that!

Tammy, lol on Greg and the packages of one or crumbs. At least it's not just mine! John never remembers his own toiletries except to tell me he's out. However, when he once fussed at me for not keeping up with oil levels in my car, I reminded him he didn't keep up with grocery levels and since the one was my job and the car was usually his, it was up to him. He looked astonished and never has let oil changes go since then!

Peggy Savelsberg said...

Terri, I really enjoy books by Liz Curtis Higgs. “Thorn in my Heart” is the first in a trilogy set in 1700’s Scotland, but based on the Biblical story of Jacob, Rachel and Leah.

terricheney said...

Peggy, I forget that she's writing fiction now. I met her years ago, 30 I think, when she was doing inspirational speaking to women. Lovely woman, funny as could be.