The Homemaker Plans Her Week: STOP For a Moment

 


In my home this week, we woke to another morning with frost temperatures.  I'd say I slept late, but I really ought to say I went to sleep late.  I was riding a wave last night after our small group meeting and just couldn't settle down.

Such a bittersweet week ahead.  No kidding, all last week I kept thinking, "Just four more evenings with Caleb.  Just four more talks with Katie..."  I realize that all is not at an end, but I am so well aware that a big change is coming for us all.  


I was reading back over my blog, and I realized afresh how very involved I have been with Caleb since he was born.  I have been babysitter, or back-up babysitter, for all of his life.  It's been hard at times.  I assure you that if parenting is difficult at 30, it's really hard at 63 to take on the care of a baby/toddler.

I'm not waxing poetic over these past three years, but I have loved watching this littler person come into his own.  I've loved seeing how he's changed us all, John and Katie and I simply by the force of his own growing personality.  I've not always liked what was revealed in me or John when we were tired and weary or frustrated, but I can say honestly that I am grateful for the time I've had with this little boy.

One more week...and then we all begin new adventures.  

Work:  


I was pleasantly surprised at how much I accomplished last week.  My closet is neater and looks much better.  The guest room does too. I did not get to the filing nor to painting the guest bath mirror frame.  

Plants were brought indoors that can't winter over outdoors.  Plants that could winter outdoors were put in the bin and are doing well.  We've had two or three killing frosts so other plants are now done for the year.  I got one last bouquet from the yard.  Hard not to feel sad that only the week before the flowers finally caught hold and bloomed their hearts out.   

I harvested all the basil, mine, oregano and chives that I could.  None of my herbs ever flowered and went to seed this year.  It was just a very odd year for the growing season this year.  I'll have to start afresh next year with oregano.  I'll need new chive and basil seeds since I used all my own stock.  

None of that has anything to do with this week's work, however.

Zone Four: Porches and patio.  I may alter this to be the shed instead.  Katie wants to store some things here, which hopefully won't be much, but I need to make room all the same.  I can condense my stuff but I want it accessible so we can each get to our stuff.  I want especially to be sure I can get to my Christmas things.  So, I'll work on that this week first and then I'll see what the porches and patio need.  I cleared them last week but then the wind blew, and leaves fell, and now you can't tell I'd done a thing, lol.  'Tis that season of the year.

I never made it to the grocery except that fly by visit last week and I'm thinking this week is going to be about the same.  Just as well.  I've practically spent all of my month's budgeted amount and the week after this will be first of the month with a fresh budget and more time to focus on shopping.   We've got plenty of food to do us in the meantime.  Just need to determine what meals I can make with it.

I can't think of any indoor chores that are screeching at me to be done at the moment, so we'll just leave the week open for whatever comes up.  

Kitchen:

I've been trying to keep a homemade treat on hand and so far, it's kept John from buying too much junk when we're out.  I've always felt that a homemade cookie or slice of cake caused one to eat less and was far more enjoyable than store bought ones.  I made an apple crisp last week with the last of the Golden Delicious apples.  It was so good!  I think this week I'd like to make some Pumpkin Banana bread.  

I used a half portion of pizza dough to make a small batch of bagels this past week.  I'll try to do the same again this week.  

I want to consider what I might make for first meals for Katie in the new house next weekend.  Packing up will happen on Saturday and the actual move will occur on Sunday, so something that can be heated and served would likely come in handy.  For that I might well end going to the grocery unless I come up with something suitable that Caleb can eat (no dairy for him) and can be heat and eat ready.

 Meals:  

Taco Pasta Skille, Green Salad.  This is a made up on the fly, using what I have in the freezer.  Half a pound of taco meat, black beans and corn, cooked pasta, etc.  I'll let you know how it turned out.

Roast Chicken Dinner, Waldorf Salad, Peas.  hmmm... a roast chicken might be a good thing to make for Katie for next weekend.  It could be used as sandwich meat or easily prepared sides.  My roast chicken dinner will include potatoes, carrots and onions.  I glaze mine with apple juice, too.  I'd prefer apple cider, but I haven't bought any yet this year.  

Vegetable Soup, Cornbread.

Pigs in Blankets, Coleslaw, Baked Beans. I never did make this meal last week since our days with Caleb got turned about between his two days out of nursery (he was sent home sick on Friday) and our own small group obligation.  

Chicken Pot Pie, Pear Salad

Chicken and Rice Casserole, Green Beans, Carrot and Raisin Salad

Hamburger Stroganoff, Greens.  I have sour cream on hand that is past date but still good. 

Personal:

Seriously do the research on the new facial products I'm using to see if I'm using them wrong or if they are just not entirely suitable to my skin top.  I'm telling you this dry skin thing is a whole new critter for a woman who has always had an oily t-zone and skin sensitivity.  I'll also share that I spent a lump on these products and I'm going to finish them off.  If I must add to the regimen with other products I shall do so. Definitely going to add back in the Vitamin C twice a day.

Read.  I've started the third book in the Merlin/King Arthur books by Mary Stewart. 

Catch up on the month's vlogs with some of the other vloggers I enjoy watching.

Establish a new bedtime routine.  I've been taking myself off to bed about 9:30-ish and I read or watch a shorter vlog and then I find that I am more prone, once John's come to bed, to go to sleep after prayers rather than lying awake.  It's been a help towards a more restful night for me.

I haven't had evening snacks in ages upon and lately we seem to be reaching for something every evening.  I want to back off this habit. I am genuinely hungry quite often by that evening time, so I need to add an additional side to our meals, see to it that my protein and fat needs are met for the day with that evening meal which will insure longer satiety following a meal.  

I find often enough that I want a nice looking but casual/at home sort of look to attend to Caleb after nursery or make a trip into our small-town grocery etc.  It's the way of the area where I live.  I don't have those sorts of outfits at all. I need plain t-shirts that look nice but not dressy.  But I'm also needing other items for looking neater and nicer.  My style is almost always casual jeans/pants with a pretty top and jewelry, but I am sadly lacking in proper shoes to complete those outfits.  I need a nicer athletic shoe for one thing.  I'm going to spend the week figuring out a list of clothing needs (intimate garments, shoes, jackets, casual/athletic type wear appropriate for our rural area stores).  Then I'll know just what I'm looking for and can watch for sales or good possibilities when I'm online or in a store.

Not my personal upkeep but John's.  He too is needing a few things like a new pair of athletic shoes that have better support, a new pair of boots, and some clothing needs so I want to make a list for him as well.


4 comments:

Lana said...

I ordered two pairs of Sketchers GO Walk shoes from Amazon and I love them. They are easy to slip on and off and look a little more dressy than a tie sneaker.

Sue said...

I, too, love my Sketchers Go Walk shoes! I have half a dozen pair in different colors: gray, black, multi. They are indeed dressier than lace-ups, and they are washable as well.

My problem is the uppers are cloth, which really isn't suitable for winter in New England.

Sue said...

Meant to add that I just started using Loreal Revitalift Triple Power Anti-Aging mMisturizer, and am so pleased with how it's going!

I too have an oily t-zone with enlarged pores, but it's also flaky and dry at the same time. And my cheeks/neck are so dry. Talk about annoying.
But the LRTPAM handles the dry skin in my t-zone without making it oilier. My pores are reduced (I never would have believed it but it's true as well. And my cheeks/neck are getting the moisture they need.

It doesn't seem possible, and yet... I am so pleased with how this cream is working that I'm going to investigate the serums and other products in this line. I really need solid morning and night routines that I don't have to think about! Hit and miss has certainly NOT worked well thus far.

Someone at a cosmetics counter told me, it's not so much the product line you choose, it's that you use it consistently.

Donna said...

We had 29 degrees one night and today was almost 80. The leaves are very pretty around here and we are busy putting the gardens to bed for the winter.

The Urban Farmer wears GO Walk shoes almost exclusively. Like every other manufacturer, they changed the shoes slightly so we check Amazon for the style that suits him best. Our local Meijer store has a big selection and occasionally runs a BOGO sale.

Thrifty Thursday: Try Harder