The Homemaker Plans Meals: Welcome, September!

 


It's plenty warm for us yet, but towards the end of the week, temperatures will drop by almost 20 degrees.  Not cold weather but cooler and I am all for it.  Of course, it only makes me want to plan a meal that clings to the inside of the belly and warms and comforts all at once.  I'm not going to get too carried away.  That cool down might not even happen...weather forecasts are too fickle to base a full menu upon just yet, but gosh, will I ever be glad when we do get to the cooler days and hearty meals are on the menu once again.


Again, this week we're not coming into the week with Gathered Fragments or leftovers.  I was pretty vigilant about using things up and getting them out of the fridge and onto plates or into the freezer.    

I do want to go through the pantry and freezer this week, update my expired foods list so I know what I still need to plan to use, determine which of the meals I've prepared ahead ought to be used for easy meals.  Then I'll get these menu plans started.

Roast Chicken with Apples and Sage, Carrots, Onions, and Potatoes.  I won't serve anymore sides with this.  The hard part is truly not to overdo the vegetables for just the two of us. I don't like to have a load of those left over.  

And yes, it's too hot to have the stupid oven on but I don't care...I just want a proper roasted chicken.  I'll try to put it on earlier in the morning, so we don't spend all afternoon regretting my menu choice.

Chicken Sandwiches, Apple Wedges, Nuts.  Leftover chicken will be good to have for a lighter meal.  We ate lunch out today, but I know John will want supper, especially since we ate so early.

Country Ribs on Grill, Coleslaw, Green Beans and Taters, Corn on the Cob.  

Corn Dogs, Chips, Leftover slaw.  Caleb will be here, and we know he will enjoy the corn dogs.  I thought about buying corned dogs, but I have corn muffin mix and hot dogs...I can make my own, I think.  

Cottage Pie, Salad

Chicken Divan, Rice, Cucumber and Onion Salad.  I'll use mostly broccoli stems in the Divan.  I want to make a salad too and will divide the florets between the two dishes, but I have lots of perfectly good stem.  I've found if I peel them then steam the pieces they are tender enough to eat.

Chicken Pot Pie, Broccoli and Apple Salad.  There should be enough chicken to make a Chicken Pot Pie.  I think it will be lovely since the temperatures will cool as the week goes on.  I'll use some of the broccoli stems, too, but not steamed.  Instead, I'll shred them.

9 comments:

Karla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karla said...

This is a great "between two seasons but the heart has already moved on" menu! Our menu this week is:

Veggie cheeseburgers with homemade pico topping
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes with onion rings
Takeout Pizza with salad
Spicy Sausage Gnocchi Skillet
New York Strip Steak with roasted potatoes and green beans
Chicken fajita meat with rice and beans

Tammy said...

We had chicken pot pie last night using the recipe from Becky's casseroles video (Acre Homestead). It was tasty, though I'll tweak the biscuits next time. Greg went back for seconds and said I should make it again.

terricheney said...

We ended having Chicken Noodle Soup. I was making broth from the bones and skin and it tasted so delicious that I wanted soup.

Camp Mac said...

Chicken noodle soup sounds delicious about now! I can't help but envy the cooler weather meals. September is always our hottest month, it's in the 90's here and will be for a good week. Your dinners sound tempting. I'm a little envious of the cole slaw on your menu as I have yet to find a dressing recipe that suits us and have been disappointed a lot so have given it a rest. (We're always shooting for a KFC taste but never quite get there.)
Love,
Tracey
xox

terricheney said...

Tracey, We start with freshly grated slaw, then all we have ever used in dressing coleslaw is mayonnaise and sweet pickle relish. I like to add a wee bit of sugar and vinegar, but John wants the vinegar left out and I can't abide just the sugar added to it. Granny was the simple dressing sort: mayonnaise and sweet pickle relish.
The secret to KFC slaw is horseradish and a tiny bit of green onion. Mix that with mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar (salt and pepper to taste) and you should have something closer...but for my money, KFC slaw is worth buying, lol.

I hate the grating part of making slaw from fresh cabbage as it's messy.

terricheney said...

Karla your menus for the week sound good...I have gnocchi I need to use...Do I have sausage? Hmmmm....

Karla said...

Terri, the sausage gnocchi skillet was really good. We had it last night. Very easy too! Here's the link: https://www.saltandlavender.com/spicy-italian-sausage-gnocchi/

My store didn't have hot Italian sausage nor did they have the jarred chili peppers so I just added red pepper flakes to the skillet to serve both purposes. I will definitely make this regularly. I really loved this dish. Next time I think I'll add some spinach and take it for lunches at work.

terricheney said...

Karla, I followed the link and have it pinned into my favorites so I can retrieve it.

Coffee Chat: Homecoming