Budget Stretcher: Leftover Makeovers




Leftover Makeover:  Beef Enchiladas



 I made a simple pot roast the other day and had a small portion of it left after our meal.  I'd made roast beef sandwiches and a Shepherd's Pie and Hash in the past month and I just didn't want any of those things from this piece of roast.  I thought and thought about what to do with it and I finally decided upon Beef Enchiladas.



I started by making the enchilada sauce.  I use my friend Rhonda's recipe for Red Enchilada sauce, but I do one thing differently.  I add a cup of chicken broth to it to thin the sauce out a bit more.  The pan you see here is a double recipe of the sauce.  I like it very well and like to keep it on hand.

I chopped the roast beef and opened a can of refried beans.  I didn't season the meat or add anything to it.  The meat was very tasty already and the sauce was well seasoned.  I dipped corn tortillas in some of the enchilada sauce.  I find it makes the tortillas more pliable and less likely to break or tear.  I then filled each of 5 tortillas with about 3 tablespoons of meat (about 1/4 cup) and some sharp cheddar and rolled.  I put half a can of refried beans in the bottom of my pie plate and the filled tortillas on the beans.
I guess at this point I guess I just got busy.  I swore I took a photo of the dish with enchilada sauce and shredded cheese over the top...but nope, I didn't.  And it looked so pretty, too...Nor did I take one of the finished dish, sigh.  We didn't eat all five of these.  Two each was plenty and I put the last into the fridge for a supper entree.

And here's the rest of the enchilada sauce.  I'd like to can it (I'll have to change the lid on the one jar if I do can).  This sauce freezes well, too.

Leftover Makeover:  Twice Baked Potatoes
 This is NOT my photo.  I found it on the web and I'd love to give credit where it's due but there was no credit info.

I had a very large baked potato left from earlier in the week.  I split in half and then scooped out the insides and mashed with a fork.  I mixed in a little grated onion, some sour cream, salt, pepper, and shredded cheddar.  I topped with more cheese and some crisp turkey bacon bits and baked at 350F for about 20 minutes until  the cheese was melted.  I served this as a side dish but if you use a whole potato per person it would do as an entree.

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Hi Terri
I have not made enchiladas this summer as the heat has made turning on the oven at supper time not the least big appealing.
but your enchiladas look so good, I am going to make them as soon as it cools down.
It was 107 today but the weather reports promise it will be be cooler soon.

Anonymous said...

Could you print your friends red enchilada sauce recipe for us? I never thought of canning it either! thanks for the information! Sarah