Weekly Menu Plan





A little late with my planning.  I'm having a bout of allergies and don't feel good.  My appetite is decreased (not necessarily a bad thing) which means that the idea of food in general is uninspiring.  However, this evening I went through all those magazines I've let stack up over the past month and found about as much inspiration as I need for this week at least.  Sometimes, I just need a shot of someone else' creative thinking, and a husband who decides he simply must go out for a cheeseburger...

Cheeseburger and Fries, Soda, Ice Cream Cone
Now and then, it's nice to go out for an old fashioned drive-in meal.  John and I enjoy the brown bag special at Sonic.  Our burgers had onions, lettuce, tomatoes and pickles and they really piled on the vegetables, lol.  I counted the fries as veggie too and offered to buy John an ice cream cone on our way home after running the last errands.



Tuna Melts, Tomato Soup, Ice cream
Sore throat continues and frankly I wanted something smooth and comforting.  Hit the spot!

Arroz con Pollo, Green Salad with Ranch dressing, Mexican Cornbread, Cinnamon Chocolate Pudding
 My  kids loved this dish.  I had to learn to cut it down to size for John and I, since the original recipe uses a whole chicken. I'll cook a whole packet of the yellow rice with this dish and set aside a portion for later in the week.  I'll also set aside some cornbread batter in the fridge and will use one of my mini cast iron pans to cook the Mexican bread.

Beef Bbq Cups,  Harvest Slaw, Green Beans
I'll use homemade biscuits for my Beef Bbq Cups, making a full batch and making an easy cinnamon roll from the rest of the dough.  These will do nicely for breakfast one morning this weekend.  The Harvest slaw is just homemade coleslaw with apples and walnuts added in for a seasonal change.

Red Beans and Rice, Tossed Salad, Corn Muffins
I'll use the rest of the yellow rice in this dish.  I have a bit of summer sausage I'll use in place of the usual spicy sausage.  It suits us best yet adds nice flavor to the beans.

Chicken Pot Stickers, Stir Fry Vegetables, Ambrosia
Necessity and a recipe reminded me that I have ground chicken and wonton wrappers in my freezer, both of which could be used.  I love pot stickers, but our local Chinese restaurants only use pork.  I've made my own before and they are not hard to make at all.   

Beef Short ribs with Cranberries, Smashed potatoes, Waldorf Salad 
Cranberries, carrots, onions go in the short rib dish.  It's a slow simmering really delicious meal and any leftovers will enrich the soup pot I've started in the freezer.

No comments: