Menu Plans - Holiday Countdown

I've been busy busy busy, just like everyone else I'm sure.  So busy that I meant to write out this week's menu plan last night then got busy with a project and forgot until this evening!  I'm going just as fast as I can, mind reeling with a dozen things and for some reason, already focusing on gifts I'd like to make for next year and I'm not even through with this year yet!  We just won't mention the projects I keep thinking I'd like to start.  I considered one today around noon when I was up to my ears in tasks and lists and had to stop myself.  "Seriously think about this before you start.  Do you really want to spend this precious bit of time doing this task that can easily wait until after holidays or work on holiday lists?"  Well...the answer of course, was to get done what would give me relief from stress so holiday work list it was.  The other job will wait.  It's only one more week and one day after all and then the big rush is over for us here in my home.

Salisbury Steak, Onion Gravy, Rice, Butter beans and Green Salad, Biscuits
Cold and rainy out and all warm within.  For all that this comfort food, truly it comes together quickly.  The butter beans take the longest to cook.  I used frozen hamburger patties and dusted them with flour and seasonings.  They just need to brown either side, then make the gravy, plunk in the meat and cover and simmer while the rice is cooking and the biscuits are made up and baked.




Chicken and Dumplings, Tiramisu
You may most certainly make more of this meal but it's so unnecessary.   I add loads of vegetables to the dish making me a pariah here in the South where Chicken 'n' Dumplin's is nothing more than chicken and dumplings.  You might know too that dumplings in my husband's language are those big fluffy biscuity things, none of the handmade flat hand cut dumplings like I grew up eating.   Leftover Tiramisu (we had the Italian meal on Saturday) for dessert finishes off this meal.


Turkey and dressing, cranberry sauce, Waldorf salad, Green Beans with Walnuts and Garlic
A meal from the freezer for a busy day.  Easy peasy meals like this suit me just fine at the end of a hard day's work.


Chili Mac, Corn Muffins, Green Salad
 I cooked  a whole box of pasta (rotini) this weekend to go with the meat sauce from the freezer instead of making lasagna.  I had pasta leftover and I have some chili in the freezer.  Another easy meal.  I need all the help I can get in this holiday countdown.


Leftovers
I'm taking Mama to the doctor and we'll eat out afterward.  John will eat  leftovers for his main meal.  No cooking.


Warm Sandwiches, chips, dip
The most southern portion of the family is coming in for the weekend.  I have made ahead the marinated sandwiches that go over so well.  They are in the freezer and I can simply put them in a baking pan, cover with foil and heat.


Lazy Day Beef Stew, Corn bread, Salad with apples, craisins and toasted nuts, Christmas Cookies
This stew was so good when I made it a few weeks ago that John suggested we have it when the kids came up again.  I agreed and bought the meat required this past week when we were at the meat market.  

Now I've got a plan, I can get some prep work done.  And that frees me up to concentrate on other things like the two gifts I still need to make/buy, posting the gift that should have been in the mail last week, the cookie baking, the errands...

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Hi Terri
thanks for the reminder about chicken and dumplings. we ate part of package of chicken breasts tonight that turned out to be tough. I need to stew the rest of that meat and make chicken and dumplings with it, once it is cooked enough to tenderize it.
Beef Stew is always welcomes by all my children.