Budget Stretcher: Apple Peelings and Cores



One of my favorite adages is the one a lot of us frugalites quote often: Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or go without...

Use it up...That's probably my favorite one and also the one I am continually honing.  Today, in the midst of autumn, when apple trees begin to yield their lovely fruits, I came across these recipes in the current issue of Southern Living.  I love that they are 'use it up' recipes...

Ingredients

  • 10 red apples $
  • 6 cups water
  • 3 tablespoons powdered pectin
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar $
  • cinnamon stick
  • whole clove

Preparation

  1. Bring peels and cores of apples and water to a boil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 45 minutes. Pour through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a large saucepan to equal 3 cups liquid. (Add water, if necessary.) Discard solids. Whisk in powdered pectin and sugar. Add cinnamon stick and whole clove. Bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; discard spices. Pour into 1 (24-oz.) hot sterilized jar, filling to 1/4 inch from top; wipe jar rim. Cool completely (about 30 minutes), cover with lid, and chill 12 hours. Refrigerate up to 1 month.

3 comments:

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Thank you for sharing your recipes.. sounds good.
I too.. try to use it all..
I just made peach preserves, I took the peach skins and an extra peach I had and boiled them to make juice.. I then made 4 half pint jars of peach jelly. It is delicious..
Enjoying your blog..

Dawn said...

Warren's favorite jelly is apple peel jelly. He asks for it over any other type of jam/jelly.

Anonymous said...

In the last post just was that new- to- you frugal information you found? I am curious now!!!! Thanks for the new recipes! I have a bag of apple peels in the freezer waiting for more so I can make jelly. And that picture! I love the colors and the print itself...good find! :-) So perfect for your post too. Wouldn't that be pretty framed. Oh and I forgot to mention your newish picture of yourself. That look ! Great picture! You look 16. :) Sarah