Frugal Boot Camp: The Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn

 
From $4.03 to $16.97 in paperback on Amazon this book includes all three of Dacyczyn's Tightwad Gazette books. 

Amy Dacyczyn published "The Tightwad Gazette" newsletter for several years.  The books she later published were compilations of the articles and recipes and tips she shared in those newsletters.  Her very practical, down to earth manner of writing clearly explains cost breakdowns (I found my own scribbled calculations in the margins of one page), the mindset that is required, and many practical recipes, examples, and more related to living a frugal life.


Not every one of Amy's tips for saving money suited me, but she taught me to think very creatively when it came to saving money.  I still pick up her book to look for recipes for everything from foods to stain removers.  I also pick these books up to read at least once a year simply because they make me THINK.  How can I save more money?  How can I go about making the leap from this place to that?  What can I do differently to achieve better results?

If I had to limit myself to just two books on frugality, I'd choose this one and the last book I will review for Boot Camp.  That's how much I rely on this book.  Some of the savings methods are a hard stretch for me, but for the most part the book is full of practical everyday suggestions and articles to insure that you approach stretching dollars intelligently.

4 comments:

Karla said...

I had that book years ago. It is truly a gem!

Anonymous said...

I subscribed to the Tightwad Gazette all those many years ago and still have all the issues. It's fun to sit down with my notebook of them and read. Lots of good information in them. Pam

Debbie said...

I subscribed to her newsletter as well and kept all of the issues in a 3 ring binder. I do have one of the books and refer to it and the binder stuff often. :)

M.A. said...

How fun! I am reading the exact same book right now. Although it is large, and some of the topics are no longer true of my life ( ie kids at home), it has been encouraging and fascinating. Back in the early 1990's I did subscribe to her newsletter, it is great to have it all contained in one volume! Enjoying your frugal boot camp series.