In My Home This Week: In September...

In my home this week...


...I am looking forward to cooler temperatures, especially at night, and crisp fall leaves, apple desserts and the smell of wood smoke drifting on the evening air...and I'm waiting impatiently for such a time to come as we finish up summer.  

My anticipation is enhanced by the appearance of trees about the place and in the woods in areas where we drove over the past week and this weekend.  The leaves are changing, some are noticeably changed, others are more subtle.  Outside the living room window a single stem of leaves on the pecan tree has gone solid gold.  I don't recall ever seeing the pecan tree change this early in the season.

In many ways, even though the season has two weeks more before appearing, this weekend signifies the unofficial end of summer for many folks.  From here we are leaning hard towards autumn, getting short timer's disease much as though leaving an old job for a new one.    


All that said, can any of us really think of much except our Texan and Louisiana neighbors?  I've thought of them all through out each day and looked at the houses underwater, debated what, if anything would be of the most import to me under the same circumstances.   I can't even imagine homes that might have hefty mortgage payments, and people who can't go to work or who might not have a job after all is done.  Prayers continue here for all those folks, as I'm sure they do in your own homes.

And just a word of warning:  we're all likely to see some rising prices as things get sorted out in Texas.  Oil refineries are closed, fuel prices will likely rise and that means cost of things will rise, as well.  We've all been through it before and there's not much point in complaining.  Let's just tighten our belts and stretch our resources and keep thinking of those who've lost a lifetime of belongings and dreams.

...I plan my work week:
No plans to labor on Labor Day this year as I did last year.  That said, the vacation time is over and done.  Time to get back to work both on the blog and in my home.  John returns to work at the end of the week.  He has a meeting and a court date mid-week which will take him away from home, but mostly he'll be home the bulk of the week, so not a whole lot of planning going on.

Make up a few freezer meals, some individual entrees and some family sized, and this includes cookie doughs, cake, and perhaps a couple of apple pies.  This sort of work is easily done with John at home, unlike some of the bigger tasks I sometimes I want to accomplish, lol.  

Get the slipcover on the living room chair done.

Do a little autumn decorating.  We visited with Katie this weekend and as I wandered around looking at her new décor downstairs, I couldn't help but notice she'd put out a few fall touches.  It was subtle but definitely fall.  A little later her mother in law stopped in to speak to me and she looked around then turned to me and exclaimed "Oh GOOD!  She's got her fall things out, that means I can go home and pull out mine."  I chuckled to myself that we two fully grown and older women look to Katie as the guide for when to decorate for fall.  However, for all of you, Katie assures me that it's acceptable to put out fall things anytime after September 1.  Just sayin'!

Look online for fabric to replace my desk chair cover and possibly make another, as I've inherited John's old chair from the music room.   I also want some lovely colored velvet to make soft pumpkins with.   I looked at Hobby Lobby for fabric last week not finding anything in the least like what I want, though I did find two nice heavy upholstery quality pieces that I think will be pretty for pumpkins.

If the sun shines, then I'll hang those new white sheers in the living and dining room.  I'll wash the curtains and hang them to dry on the line.

Just continuing to do routine jobs and enjoying the time off that John has.  That's the biggest plan of the week.

...I plan our meals:
Despite meal plans last week I got off track.  Some of it had to do with more leftovers than I'd thought we'd have.  Some of it had to do with a general lack of interest in the meals planned.  We ate out only one day, which I had planned for last week.  

On my own x 1

at Katie's on Saturday

Leftovers on Sunday

rest of the week:

Shredded BBQ Chicken, Chips, Coleslaw, Lemon Pudding

Tuna Salad in Tomato Cases, Deviled Eggs, Potato Sticks

Kielbasa with Potatoes, Carrots and Cabbage, Corn Muffins

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole, Green Beans, Tossed Salad

...I plan leisure:
"Hazel", "The Danny Kaye Show", "Perry Mason", "Leave It To Beaver"...get the idea?  I've found a bevy of lovely old shows on television and that is what I've been watching these past two weeks.  It's done me as much good as anything I've tried.  

I am especially enjoying "Hazel" who is thrifty and practical.  Did you know she put her nephew through law school?  That she had stocks and bonds she'd purchased, one at a time?  That she used essential oils?  Ah yes to all of these things and that's just what I learned in three episodes!

Listen to good music that fills my soul.

I've found it helpful to look at silly dog and cat pictures for a good hearty laugh or at least long healthy giggles.  I plan to continue this week.  

And read.

8 comments:

Delorise said...

I love those old shows-- they don't make them like that anymore. I sometimes think if it wasn't for repeats of those old shows hubby and I wouldn't have much to watch-- of course he is into Gunsmoke, Wanted Dead or Alive--you get it- westerns. So when he is watching that is what we watch-- which is fine I enjoy those too. Haven't watched Hazel in a while-- will have to tune in. The leaves are beginning to fall, I think fall is around the corner. Have a great week.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

I really enjoyed your post. You are a very busy lady! You seem to get more done than I can even think up! I continue with my chemo this week, but it's my last treatment. Praise God!

I hope you can do all that you have planned to do.
Be blessed,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

Lana said...

We have been enjoying 'I Love Lucy' on Amazon Prime. Always good for lifting the spirits. It is suddenly around 60 most mornings here. No more breakfasts in the screen porch! Lucky you to have a pecan tree!!! Gas up 60 cents here, too. With family in Florida we are keeping a sharp eye on Irma and praying she will turn away from the USA. All our friends in the Houston area were spared the flooding. One is a rocket scientist for NASA and I joked that they probably put him in a bunker somewhere! He is the brains behind a big project going on right now.

Hubby was doing well enough today to get back to church after not being there for 5 weeks. So good and so wonderful to feel that we were missed. We are counting down the weeks until our daughter's family leaves for the mission field. Our hearts hurt to know they will be gone soon. Their house was emptied and sold and they will travel with 8 suitcases of belongings for the four of them. She had some cute striped glasses and I claimed those to use everyday and remember to pray for them.

We stopped at Aldi today after church to avoid having to use gas to go back out so we are ready to eat this week. I also have a free bagel everyday at Panera this month so anytime we are near a Panera we grab my freebie and bring it home for a breakfast. They are so good!

Anonymous said...

What a treat! I got to read two posts in one day! Now you've gotten me interested in Hazel again. I saw a years worth of shows for $5 at a store. First I will look and see if it might be on one of our odd channels. I hope it is. I watched JLTV for years. Jewish Life Television. They had The Diana Shore Show and The Gold bergs and many other shows. Off and on they add new ones and show less of the older ones. In between of course, they have regular news of Israel and pertinent things of interest. It is interesting to see the news from their perspective too.
We found out a theater here shows the old movies each Tuesday. Speak of a treat. Only $5 to go and see an oldie on the big screen again. :)
It has been 100 + here still for a while so fall is a nice thought. I do have the fall things waiting but frankly I do not want to go outside to put some of them out there right now! ;) I do go out and do a lot and come in overly hot but the garden needs taking care of etc. Fall can wait a while :)
You've got me in the mood to change up some things here. Little here , little there. It will equal a big picture change though. ..Off to check for Hazel on tv....... Sarah

Louise said...

What channel do you get Hazel on??? We have DejaVu here but archie bunker.. mash.. everybody loves Raymond. . Those kinds of shows.. I did find The Waltons on Vision ( I think it was).

Rhonda said...

Perry Mason is my favorite, but it comes on here at 8 a.m when I am usually doing housework and 11 p.m. when I'm in bed.
About gas, Jeff went and topped off our tanks as soon as we heard about how bad Harvey was and we've been keeping them full. There were outages in the Dallas area for a few days but I think the deliveries have been fixed.

Are you wanting to make orange velvet pumpkins? I don't have any velvet but I think my mom does. Let me know what colors and I'll see what she has Tuesday.

Carolyn @ Our Gilded Abode said...

Love those old shows ... just have to change the channel when the commercials come on that show the neglected animals.

Thank you for your prayers for all of us in Texas!

terricheney said...

Rhonda I'll let you know through an email this afternoon...Perry Mason comes on two channels here both FETV and one called METV.

Louise Hazel comes on the FETV channel in our area but John mentioned Deja vu was the channel his brother gets in Texas with some of the older shows on.

Laura, I'm so glad it's the end of chemo for you. You stay on my prayer list! I really don't think I get so much done as you all think...I have a lot of leisure time, lol! But I have a good memory for what I did each did because I want to remind myself this home is where my work is and my work involves 'doing' in order to keep saving.

Lana, Wow, eight suitcases...I can't imagine honing my life down that tightly. But it's a good reminder really that most every thing is replaceable isn't it?