Living Frugally and Well: It's AUTUMN!!!

                        One of my revamped summer wreaths dressed  for early autumn

Saturday:  John said that we simply HAD to get out of the house after our week of coping with evacuees and no power.  He said we deserved a special day, so we went out for breakfast.

We followed up the breakfast with a stop at Lowe's.  I eyed the mums that I saw displayed but didn't get out of the car.  John went in and purchased one item, a container of poison to go on the many anthills we've got here.

We stopped at Aldi.  I bought stuff just for the upcoming family day and very little for our own use this week.  I did double up on milk since I wanted to make yogurt but I didn't have plain yogurt to use as starter.  I knew I'd be going to Publix tomorrow to pick up a newspaper.  Remember those mums I saw at Lowe's.  I knew full well the ones at Aldi displayed by the front door would be a much better buy and they were.  I picked two to bring home.

We stopped at a  Kitchen/Restaurant supply store as we drove to the Publix Pharmacy drive thru window.  John insisted we stop.  He 'treated' me to stainless steel dry measure cups, and two fry/saute pans.  He said I'd been a trooper and deserved something special.  He knows that quality cookware is to me what quality guitar accessories and strings are to him.  I didn't protest a bit when he insisted on treating me.



Stopped at the drive thru window and picked up prescriptions.

We came home and had our dinner which was a later meal since we'd had such a big breakfast.  This was just one more busy Sabbath this month.

Noted the AC was not shutting down as it should, nor was it holding temperature well.  I'd mentioned this to John two weeks ago and he'd promised to wash the coils to help clean it.  He went out and attended to that this evening.  It helped a little but it's obvious that it's time for that annual recharge.  I'm so happy I've set money aside for that!

Made John's work lunch and set up coffee and oatmeal for the morning.

Sunday:  Absolutely loathesome night of poor sleep.  I really did mean to go back to bed this morning and try to catch an extra couple of hours but somehow I was more interested in getting things done.  I started a load of clothes running right away and hung them to dry as soon as the sun came up.

Set load number two up to wash when I came in from church.

Wore one of my new shirts to church today.  I wore a new one yesterday as well.  Both days I experimented a small bit of time with possible other uses.  I really must take time this week to get a full idea of how well all these new pieces will work.

I carried off trash on my way to church.

After church I went to Publix.  I wasn't hungry but I did walk up and down several aisles.  I wanted to add some stock to my pantry.  I found cans of the  Dulce de Liete on the milk shelf.  I thought it very pricey at $3.19 a can but it's a nice staple to have on the shelf, especially since it's carrageenan free.  I added several other items to the pantry shelves.   I paid for these groceries out of my own pocket money.

I stopped at Dairy Queen and bought a $5 lunch deal.

AC was still not working well. I cut it off periodically to keep it from running endlessly and freezing up.

Came home and took in the dry laundry, washed and hung out the second load.

I spent the afternoon working about the house, planning my week ahead, etc.

Enjoyed two old television programs: The Jimmy Dean Show and then an episode of Perry Mason.  I'd meant to watch a second episode of Perry Mason but I couldn't stay awake.  I went right off to bed and slept like a top.

Monday:  I was busy enough this weekend but just as busy today.  I made breakfast for John and I.  He called to say he was running late.

I made yogurt.  I put four pint jars to incubate.

I made 2 pints of Rhonda's Red Enchilada sauce.

I started a pot of chicken frames boiling.  John and I both have had some congestion from allergies or a mild cold.  It seemed prudent to have a pot of chicken soup.

I cooked chicken breasts in the crockpot for the enchiladas I mean to prepare ahead and put in the freezer.

Mixed up and baked half a batch of oatmeal cookies to give to the kids this weekend.

Mixed up and set dough in the fridge to chill for Mexican Hot Cocoa Cookies for this weekend.

Mixed up and baked three round loaves of Challah for Rosh Hashannah and Shabat this week.

John went out to mow.

I washed a full load of dishes and multiple dishpans full of dishes.

We washed and hung to dry on the line a small load of clothes.

John went out to mow the lawn this afternoon.  I continued work here in the kitchen.

Tuesday:  I fed the cat and dog the skin and soft gristle from the chicken frames.

Took a milk jug of compost out to the bin.

Bagged up trash to go to the dumpster.

Took mail and property tax payment with us to town.

John wanted to go into Guitar Center in Macon.  I had him drop me off at Marshall's where I looked over the store pretty well, thinking I'd kill time.  I didn't kill enough and waited for over a half hour for him to return.  After 15 minutes of standing outside in the 94F weather I went back into the store and watched from the air conditioned comfort.

I purchased a cardigan to use as a light cover up for fall.  I am still looking for a nice blazer or sports coat but cardigan's are nice to dress up and down as well.

We went to The Fresh Market and bought chicken breasts.  The organic breasts there were on sale this week for $2.99.  Organic breasts at Aldi run $4.69.  It's a substantial savings and well worth the extra mileage.

Drove back to the county seat and stopped at the bank to attend to some paper work that expires in December of this year.  We've now started the process.

Got gasoline and picked up mail.

Came home and divided the chicken breasts for the freezer.

Made John's lunch.

Set out a simple supper.

Set up coffee and oatmeal for tomorrow morning.

Wednesday:  Sent John off to work fed, with coffee and a packed lunch.

Worked on Swagbucks for the first time in weeks.  I more than made goals today as I qualified for two surveys much to my surprise.

Moved potted plants around a bit and freshened up the look of things.  I made up my mind, however, that I really wanted purple asters to use instead of the red/yellow mums I'd bought at Aldi.

Gave myself a pedicure.

My spa morning did not go off as planned.  I had two long personal calls and then had to make a series of business calls so I didn't have time to pamper myself overmuch.

The business calls were important due to a renewal of our personal line of credit.  This is pretty much a standing amount of money the bank has agreed we have the right to use at our own discretion.  If we don't use it, we don't have to pay anything.  If we do, we make monthly payments.  It's a convenience more than a necessity but it was time to renew the contract with the bank.  This means going through the whole process of credit checks etc.    We checked what was available through our bank and what was available through the credit union.  In the end, the bank gives us more leeway and a greater limit to draw on.

Received notice from my insurance carrier that they will no longer cover my policy next year.  This was my only option this year so I don't know what next year will bring.

Made up the main course for our dinner on Saturday and put it in the freezer.  Realized I would need more cheese.  Added it to my mental shopping list for the day.

Looked up information online to try to determine if I might purchase an OTC product that does what a Rx product is meant to do...I didn't find information on anything but it was worth the time to look.

Took paper work to the bank.

Drove to Lowe's and found the asters were all dead.  I wanted something to make a sort of show this weekend, so I bought some mums that suited me better and also picked up a 9pack of snapdragons and flowering cabbage, two staples of fall plants.  The snapdragons will reseed and come back but never in the same quantity I plant.  However, I should have snapdragons to see me through spring and early summer as well off these lot so a good purchase overall.  I refused to buy pansies yet.  They want cooler air and my low to mid 90's temperatures don't suit them well.

It was hot outdoors!  Everyone in the garden center was looking miserable and sweaty and that included me.  I stopped at Burger King and treated myself to a frozen Coke.

Went by CVS where I purchase foundation and a new line of facial cleanser and moisturizer.  I've used Cetaphil (or the store equivalent) for twenty or more years, aside from that brief period when I used the Mary Kay line.  I've noted my skin just isn't responding well to the current regime so I'm switching products.

Received a lovely package from Rhonda which contained some pretty pieces of velvet and satin to make pumpkins later in the fall.  She included other lovely gifts.  I had a huge smile on my face as I looked through them all.

Stopped at the grocery store.  I picked up cheese to finish the entrée for Saturday.  I bought a chicken pot pie for my supper.

Thursday:  Set up breakfast and then waited for John to come in from work.

After breakfast I made cookies for Saturday.

I prepared a new to me recipe for dinner.  I liked the chicken dish really well.  Not so keen on the accompaniment dishes.

Went to work on the slipcover for that little green chair.  It turned out pretty nice overall.

Washed a full load of dishes in the dishwasher.

Today I finally had time enough to go into my closet and sort it out.  I pieced together outfits and I didn't quite finish but I have LOADS of  ways to wear pieces together and I shall not need to return anything.  It all works well together in various combinations.  It was a HUGE task to get it all out of the closet and look it over but it enabled me to see combinations I might have missed otherwise.  I noted that several of the embellishments have fallen off it.  I have two or three things that simply won't do for fall but I like well enough to keep to use again next year.  Most things however, are not seasonal pieces and will transition from summer to fall and fall to winter quite well with just the addition of layers.   What I find I need is no surprise to me.  I need cardigans, shrugs and blazers if I can find any I like.  I need a purse, or perhaps two and another pair of soft casual shoes that are navy or a dark burgundy.  

Oddly enough the two tops I loved, loved, loved when I bought them will be the least used of all the pieces but will see enough use to warrant keeping them...But it just goes to show that sometimes love isn't enough!

All in all, I feel I did far better shopping for autumn than I did for spring or summer either one this year.  I think that's because I took time to sort out my closet prior to shopping.  I edited out pieces and I noted what I'd worn a lot or why I hadn't worn something.  I was pretty sure what I wanted to accomplish with my wardrobe this season.   I was certain why it hadn't worked for me this past season.   I also had fresh in mind the pieces I planned to carry over and so I built this new wardrobe with those pieces in mind.

I put four bananas into the freezer to be used for poundcake here in the near future.

Supper tonight was leftover soup and leftover cobbler and John's leftover PBJ's.

Friday:  I did all on my list this week except cull books on the bookcase.  I looked at them.  I considered culling and then decided I'd rather wait until next week instead of figuring out where to hide culled books just ahead of company coming in tomorrow.

Set up 8 outfits and could easily have done more.  My list of possibilities include over 100 outfits from the purchases made!

John and I ate breakfast separately this morning.  I don't know how long he'd been up before me but he'd had time to wash a load of clothes and hang most to dry.

The electric company came out to discuss repairing our back yard.  We'd no idea how the huge deep ruts came to be but assumed it was the electric company that had done it.  However, our plan was simply to try to fill in best we could and mow carefully.   Well, that is hardly necessary as they will be coming out to fix the area.  That's awfully nice of them in our opinion and an unexpected bonus.

Sat down this morning and worked up bills for payment next week.  With two of our sub accounts empty and needing to be refilled, I decided to refigure last pay periods extra funds and what we'll have extra this pay period.  It half filled both the property tax and air conditioner servicing fund.  It will take another month to fill these two up full once again.  I had really hoped to have Christmas money set aside by December but I suppose some  is better than none, don't you?

Cooked steak today for our dinner.  I'd not meant to cook the whole thing but did when I realized it would be nice for Sunday dinner to have the meat already cooked.  My plan is to have big salads for dinner that day after church.

I kept feeling cold this afternoon so I bumped up the AC temperature control by 1 degree.

When asked what the girls could bring along tomorrow to help out, I suggested tea, soda and beer as they chose.  If they bring nothing we'll all have water and coffee, that's always free in this house.

All in all, I feel it's been a good week of work in my home...What did you do to save this week?

Living Well

I've always said that working hard and seeing the end results is the greatest satisfaction and this week I've had plenty of results to see!  I accomplished all but one job (culling books and magazines) and a great many other things besides.

But probably my greatest satisfaction this week came from doing something I didn't know how to do but I plunged ahead with it just the same...and the results were pleasing and more than worth while.  I made a slipcover for the little chair I purchased this past spring at the Peaches to Beaches sale.

It took me a bit over two hours, start to finish and in the end I didn't need to put buttonholes up the back.  I suspect that an expert would look it over and show me myriad mistakes and I've no doubt there are some but all in all, I think I did a jam up job and I'm quite proud of my work.  I'd show a photo but blogger isn't cooperating today...Never mind.  The satisfaction I feel is enough.









7 comments:

Debby in KS said...

Congrats on your chair cover! I know exactly how you feel about accomplishing something you've never done. We recovered our bar stool seats last night. I've done round ones before, but these were different. They weren't even plain square. They were a little wavy and the back a bit smaller than the front. We bought them at a yard sale and cut off the backs. Well, now they look great! I love the fabric I chose and it sure brightens them up. And they're wonderfully comfy. :)

I was excited to find roasts at Sprouts for $2.99 lb. I remember when $1.99 was my price point. We didn't have roast for 2 winters while I waited out the higher prices. Unfortunately, they never went back down so now $2.99 is my buying price. I cut each roast into 3 pcs. so that will give us 9 pcs at about 12 oz. each. I can either cook them whole or cut them up for stew beef. While I was there, I also found peaches for .77 cents per lb., I think it was. I bought a whole bunch of those!

I had planned to spend the afternoon in my sewing room, but my brother called and sounded like he just needed a friendly ear. Seems life gave him a good bite in his heinie and he had the blues.

Hard to imagine that today is the first day of fall with temps in the 90's. Too hot!

I love old tv shows. We have an antenna so we get ME TV and they regularly show oldies. We're currently watching The Andy Griffith Show in the evenings before bed. From 1960! That was even before my time, but I sure enjoy them. No violence, no cussing, no nudity! Before that, they aired Mayberry RFD. We enjoyed all those, as well. I'm hoping they'll do The Waltons and Little House at some point.

Anonymous said...

We are to have the hottest weather we have had all summer this weekend. Possibly 90. Crazy, Then about Wednesday normal 60's and low 70's. Will probably use a c for only the second or third time this year. There is a Bills games this Sunday and they are warning the people already about drinking lots of water. They are reducing the price of a bottle of water from 5 to 3 dollars. Isn't that big of them? Should be fun to watch. We have had more higher temps this month than other this summer.

Our Aldi reopened,and it is great, larger and brighter. Larger produce and
meat section. Gave out coupons for 5 off 30 for the next 3 weeks so I am going to be doing a lot of stocking up so if it is a nasty winterI won't even need to go out except for milk. With all the crazy weather its hard to know what to expect although predictions seem to be for a warm one.

Good to read what is going on in your life. Gramma D





Lana said...

Debby, we get Little House on one of the auxiliary channels on Fox and we are antenna only, too. I would check to give you more details but we are out of town this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri!
Sounds like a busy and productive week! I love the old Perry Mason series! It was well before my time but my Mom would watch reruns when I was young (along with the Twilight Zone) and they remind me of her. 😄 We stream them now that we've unplugged from satellite and I sometimes set them up to play in the background while I work around the house. It's amazing to see how the Southern California landscape has changed (it was filmed out here in LA and Orange counties etc. ... before it was so over developed). I also stream the Andy Griffith show for the same reasons as Debbie: It's funny, smart and the wholesome story points are, sadly, a rare find today.
You've inspired me to put new outfits together...I need to do that as well tidy/organize our pantry...guess I'll put these tasks on my list for next week...they're big ones so probably won't get much else done!
Hope you and John enjoy your day!
Love,
Tracey
XoX

Delorise said...

I had good luck at Publix this week-- stocking up all (I pick up for extended family- they don't have a Publix close by ) on Mueller macaroni/spaghetti and Smithfield ham slices. Got great deals on those. Picked up the Kroger freebies- -we all enjoy getting to try new products for free. Went to Belks-they are clearancing some summer stuff--$2.00 to $4.00 for capris (regularly $46 to $50)-- I spent $15 for 4 items- so great shopping trip. Drying marigolds in the sun so won't have to buy these next year-- have you tried this--- we have had the most butterflies this year flitting around our marigolds. I had the $5 Dairy Queen lunch yesterday- aren't those yummy? Got a $360 medical bill today--haven't met our deductible-- thank heavens I set aside money each month for medical expenses. So glad our life includes a budget! Hope you have a great weekend.

Beckyathome said...

It sounds like you had a great week. Covering a chair sounds amazing. I can't wait to see a picture!

Debby in KS said...

Lana, thanks for the tip about Fox. We might try moving the antenna around a little and see if we can find it.