The Week Ahead: Cookie Drop

 



Friday evening we were sitting here thinking about our stash of leftovers and the possibilities for supper when someone knocked on the door.   I went to the door to find Bess with a container of yogurt whey which was lovely.  I had bread in the bread machine and thought after I got it all mixed up that I ought to have used the last of the whey in the fridge but then it occurred to me that might be pretty old at this point...And having Bess drop off whey was a sure reminder that I ought to rid myself of the last batch.  Like myself, Bess makes yogurt about once a month and it had surely been a month since she last made it!


But even nicer than the whey was the baggie of Halloween Oreos with orange colored stuff in the middle.  Just enough for two to share.  Not enough to cause a deep sense of regret.  Perfect!  Now tell me anything lovelier than having a cookie drop at your very door.  And terrific timing.  It prompted us to go ahead and eat our supper so we could have dessert after.

Work:  



Not a bit of October planning got done last week.  No nor the week before either.   Here's hoping this coming week I can at least make a start at it all.  October is half over...It's now or never!

I did work in my Zone 2 and dusted deeply but no to clearing the two cabinets I'd thought I'd also touch.  

Now on to the week ahead.  It is Zone 3 and for me that is the bedrooms and baths.  Guess who's guest room is looking a bit messy?  Er hmmm...I've been culling the shirts from my at home drawer which will be great for rags but must be cut up or I'll only keep wearing them.  I have all that new material to recover the chair and ottoman piled on the sewing table.  The pack n play is up and blocking one whole side of the room.  There's a bookcase in that room that could use a good deep dusting, but thankfully a good deal smaller than those in the living room.

As for our room, we have nearly all wooden pieces of furniture, all old pieces and it's time to polish those.   My part of the closet is a bit messy as well.   

This would also be a good week to move all the excess things in my closet and the guest room to the shed and put them away properly

And in the bathrooms, well a good hard cleaning from top to bottom won't do a bit of harm if there's time to be had to do that task.  

As for other work to be done, I need to plan how I'm going to deal with  plants that are outdoors that I want to keep over winter.  I haven't room for all of them in the house. 

 I also need to research how to go about making the Poinsettias turn color once more.  They are so lovely and healthy.  I was worried I wouldn't be able to tell the red ones from the golden ones but I've discovered the stems of the leaves are red and gold accordingly.

Kitchen and Meals:



I really would like to make bagels this week and sort out the freezer to see if I might fit biscuits in anywhere if I make up a double batch.  And there's bread for Shabbat, and for eating.  I'm going to push the homemade bread a little bit harder this week to stretch out the store bought stuff.  

It's also time to start making dessert at home and stop buying packaged goods.  I find that when we have a good homemade dessert, in which I control the sugar and the other ingredients, we often eat far less and are more deeply satisfied.

I'd like to make up a batch or two of cookie dough for the freezer.  It's always nice to have cookie dough ready to bake

Beef and Broccoli, Rice, Mandarins

Italian Chicken Sausage Tray Bake

Mac and Cheese, Green Beans, Sliced Tomatoes

Alpine Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Green Peas

Cottage Pie, Pear Salad

Brunswick Stew, Cornbread

Hamburgers, Oven Fries


Leisure: 

 


Finished reading Little House in the Big Woods this morning.  Next up is a book that got buried in my magazine basket next to my chair, E. M. Delafield's Diary of a Provincial Lady.

I have a stack of October magazines by my chair as well.  I'm going to try to read one each day.  I don't read every article.  I do read some stories and articles if they appeal to me at I go through the magazines each month.

I worked on my Genealogy notes and timelines at the same time today.  It occurred to me that I could, as I entered notes on each relative's page, also do a timeline for them as well.  I worked for about two hours this morning, but I assure you it doesn't feel like work.  It's like slipping through a time portal and visiting on the other side, every bit as soothing as reading.

And I listened to this playlist and plan to continue to listen to it this week.   Nice vintage autumn music, very relaxing.

Porch sitting, reading, music, immersing myself in autumn.  Lovely way to spend my leisure time.




6 comments:

Lana said...

I think in one of the recent posts you mentioned tooth trouble but I can't find it. We always have success with Hopewell Warrior applied neat to the gum around the sore tooth. Then nothing by mouth for 4 hours to let it work. It is really hot when you apply it but will calm down after ten minutes or so. Do everything you can to avoid getting it on your lips.

We have a lot of pots to empty and store. A couple things in the yard are going to get cut back hard and the neighbor boy hired to do the clean up. My topiaries need trimming up before the job gets too big. The lady across the street passed away this week so maybe food to the family. We did a meal today. Considering going to the lake next week so we would have to prep for that. We did a discount grocery run today so no need to grocery shop this week. Five pound bags of organic shredded cheese for 7.50 was today's big find.

Anne said...

I'm on a diet and desperately trying to ignore the fact that sugar calls my name 24/7. But your mention of the Halloween Oreos *almost* made me throw down my laptop and head for the store to buy a package of same, plus a quart of milk. :D

terricheney said...

Lana, I hope you can get away to the lake and enjoy the autumn views. John was watching some YouTube person in TN who said they'd had frost...That means it's getting close to time for our first frost! I'll have to sort out which plants I'm going to keep and how I'm going to manage them.

Anne, I'm so happy Bess brought us just 3 each. I have no sense of self control with Oreos and so we NEVER have them in the house in any quantity. I won't even buy one of those rolls of Oreos!

Lana said...

I have had good success with doing a search on overwintering specific plants. We put around fifty in the garage but not everything likes it in there so I will be trying some new things this winter. I have two beautiful boxwood topiaries that hate it in the garage. Every winter they have dropped all their leaves so I did some research and will be leaving them out this winter with a thick layer of leaves on the top of the soil to protect it some. I colder climates they recommend wrapping the pots to protect the roots. They also recommended putting them out of the wind so that is a consideration. Things like this could be helpful and maybe you could pull some through in a sheltered area of your porches. So many things that I thought were dead some years came back fine with water and fertilizer.

Rhonda said...

Good evening, your homemade bagels and Bess’s Oreos both sound delicous.
It’s much colder here today and really feels like fall.
I’m hopeful our carpet will be installed this week and then life can get back to a more normal situation.

terricheney said...

Lana, I have a sheltered place on the southeast side of the house between the front porch and the end of the house that I think will do well. Also a large deep clear storage bin that I can store plants in overnight to protect them from the chill of the night...Fingers crossed that works well. I'm still lobbying for the small greenhouse.

Rhonda, If I get a chance to make those bagels...It's been a packed week so far. I'll just bet you are more than ready to get the carpet done! I had all my things shoved in a spare bedroom and so day one went off fine but then the guys had to help move all the stuff from that room to do it! lol