Worth Sharing: Candle Light

 

One of the things I've loved most about our Messianic journey was that we began lighting Shabbat candles each Friday evening.  I recall the very first time I saw a candle lighting performed on some movie watched as a teen.  I found it incredibly lovely and longed to perform such a ritual in my own home.  It was not however, until I was in my 50's and we began that portion of our spiritual journey that I began to kindle the lights on Friday evening.
 
One year our synagogue hosted a Passover supper and it happened it fell on a Friday night.  I was asked by our Rabbi to light the candles that evening before the group who assembled.  I was nervous as could be but went forward all the same and lit the candles and prayed.  And then I spoke from my heart and shared how blessed I'd been by performing the ritual in my own home each Friday night.  How it was said that  it is part of oral history that Sarah lit candles in her tent that burned for a full week from Friday at sundown until candle lighting time the next week, when she set up new candles and lit those.

And then I clearly saw a vision that I spoke before the church.  The candles I lit at that moment were just one set, among millions lit all around the world at the sunset hour.  And as the time drew near in other time zones and  homes, more and more candles were lit until light had travelled in a circle about the whole world on that one night each week.   I felt it was a powerful image of a woman's role in her home, then and now, to be  sisters and kindlers of light.


I've been fascinated for years now by candlelight  There is something so lovely and mesmerizing as the flame flickers and the light falls upon the table and the  things upon it.  It can transform every day items into beauty and has the same lovely effect upon people, too.

painting by Jean-Baptiste Santerre

“She had only a candle's light to see by, but candlelight never did badly by any woman.”

― John Fowles, The French Lieutenant's Woman


Petrus Van Shendel, a Dutch artist, often painted night scenes lit only with a candle.  His studio was only half lit and his models  stood on the darkened side of the room while he stood in the light and  it was in that manner that he painted them.


He is well known for his night scenes, most especially his candlelit market scenes which took place in the hours just before dawn in the public market.  So much so that he was called  Monsieur Chandelle by the French.  

I find these market scenes especially moving and the shadowy figures behind the lit main model of the pictures is very effective.  The portrait above was painted in 1869.


“Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness.”
― Anne Frank


All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle. – Francis of Assisi



I think one of the most heartening sights in the world is that of a candle in the window on a dark night, especially in cool or rainy weather.   Who doesn't long to be within a house on such a night when the elements are unfriendly and the wind spooks one with scuttling leaves or swaying branches that creak and groan?  And how welcoming to the traveler to come home and see the candle burning, awaiting their arrival!



Researchers believe that without obstructions, a person with healthy but average vision could see a candle flame from as far as 1.6 miles.

And there's one good reason to have a candle in the window, agreed?






It is believed that the Ancient Romans were the first to make traditional style dipped candles, as early as 500 BC.

  • The term ‘candle’ originates from the Latin words ‘candela’ and ‘candere’ meaning ‘torch’ or ‘light’, and ‘to shine’ respectively.
  • Time has been measured through the use of candles, often by markings on the invention, and sometimes with weights placed periodically in the wax that would drop and clang on a solid object, once the surrounding wax had melted.
In early days, candles were primarily made with animal fat, or tallow.  It was not uncommon during times of famine to have candles stolen so the fat could be eaten.

A candlemaker is known as a Chandler...Hence the French term,  Chandelier for hanging light fixtures.



Many of the authors I follow report that they light a candle each morning before they begin their daily reading.  It is part of their ritual, to greet the day with a cup of coffee or tea,  and a flickering candle on the table.    Sunday morning it was still dark when John and I were having breakfast and I was admittedly being lazy.  I lit the candles rather than get up and go across the room to turn on the overhead light above our dining table.   That oatmeal was the most elegant morning meal I've had in a very long time.   I could well understand why those who rise early, before daylight breaks, light a candle first thing each morning.

16 comments:

Lana said...

We have an LED candle that looks very real in a lantern on our coffee table that comes on each evening. It makes me happy to see it after dark. Our dining room is much warmer in the winter so we often eat in there in the evening and light a candle to eat by with the chandelier dimmed. It is a special part of winter each year. I need to check my candle supply to be sure we are ready for those cozy suppers.

Deanna said...

I love candles. Each morning when I sit down at the antique desk in our library to journal, I turn on some music (usually classical or jazz) and light a candle or three. I especially love this on rainy days.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I truly enjoyed reading about your candle lighting ceremony. The paintings were beautiful, too.

I have some real candles for use in emergencies, but even in emergencies I must use the battery powered candles. The burning candles cause my asthma to flare up terribly. I had been embarrassed about that for years, especially at various services in churches where candles were burning. My embarrassment left me when I was attending church with a fairly small attendance, everyone there was wonderful, including the minister. At a service that was candle lit, she apologized and said we would have to find a different way, as the burning candles caused her to have severe breathing problems.

Fairly realistic battery powered candles were used. The minister and I were able to fully enjoy the service and breathe freely.

At home I use my imagination and enjoy a (battery) candle lit evening every once in a while.

Grammy D said...

I love this! I never thought of candles in this way. I do love candles and will soon get mine out to put in our front windows. I already have my scented one lit in the kitchen each day. There is a lovely old 2 story home that I love to drive by at night. Every window has a candle. It looks like they celebrate Christmas Eve every night. One of my childhood memories of Christmas was 11 pm service when our family would walk to church abd there was only candlelight. It was so magical and beautiful. I can almost smell all the evergreens they used for decorating. Thanks for the memory as I sit in my bed waiting for the house to warm up, reading a sweet Christmas story. Gramma D

Anonymous said...

I love this! I have a new appreciation for candles. I often associate candles with the hard working pioneer ladies who made their own and wonder if they considered them just a necessity or a beautiful addition to their home. I will be putting my candles in all my front windows soon. I put them there for my own enjoyment, but then one day last winter my new neighbor mentioned how much she enjoys them. We have a beautiful old 2 story home we sometimes drive by that lights every window and it is so pretty at night. One of my very favorite memories of Christmas as a child was the 11 p m Christmas Eve service and walking to church which was lit with candles only and oh that wonderful smell of all the evergreens they decorated with. I always have a scented candle in my kitchen. My daughter is a preschool teacher and gets a lot as gifts, but because she has a crazy dog who gets very excited she doesn't use them, so lucky me gets gifted. Have a lovely day with sweet memories. Gramma D

Kathy said...

I enjoyed reading your research about candles. The pictures are lovely too. How amazing to be part of a community lighting candles for Shabbat. "To be the light in a darkened world."

Anne said...

Very nice post today.

Mable said...

Could you please explain what Messianic journey means? I've never quite understood your religious practices, sometimes thinking they were Jewish and other times Baptist. Perhaps you discussed it in the past in a post I missed, but I am interested in what you mean.

Anonymous said...

Whoops! Didn't mean to do two posts. I did one and it disappeared. I didn't realize it posted. Gramma D

Tammy said...

When I was an older child, my mom, like many, became enamored with Home Interiors and went to/hosted several home parties. She got sconces that hung on the wall on either side of the print of the elderly man praying over his bowl of broth, and had votive holders on those. Then she got, what I thought at the time was horribly gaudy, a candelabra that sat in the middle of the dining room table, also with glass votive holders. (Truth told, I would love to have that candelabra now, but no one in the family knows what became of it.) Those votive holders were glass, with a diamond cut pattern, and all of them were red. Every evening, Mom would light those candles and turn off all the artificial light except for the TV. Thanks for the reminder of a nice childhood memory.
We like to have candlelight suppers with the young ones once in awhile. We did it on birthdays and holidays when my kids were little, then my nieces and nephews enjoyed the tradition, and now my grands. We don't need an occasion nor a special meal, they just love the ambience. I hope those dinners are nice childhood memories for them as well.

Anonymous said...

I too learned many things I never knew about candles from this post. Thank you. Our church had a midnight candle lite service every year. Each person had their own real candle that was lite from the original one on the alter representing Christ. There was no other light in the church that night. Yes, I agree with Grandma D. It was magical. I never thought of anyone having breathing problems cause of candles. Now I imagine my church back east uses battery candles because they would not allow the actual lite candles anymore. If I could go back and be a part of something from my past being in church for a candle light service with my family would be it. We would slowly file out of the church after wards. Many years a light snow would be coming down and we would head home in my families woodie. Once home we would all get ready for bed and Dad would read the nativity story and we would go to bed. By then it wa 1 a.m. Sarah

Mable said...

I notice you did not leave in or answer the comment I left, asking about your spiritual journey. I hope I did not inadvertently offend you somehow. I am genuinely interested in how you seem to celebrate several different heritages so if I didn't ask my question correctly and upset you, I do apologize.

terricheney said...

Dearest Mable, No offense taken. I merely forgot to moderate and pass comments. My bad. I am having to remind myself of the need to do this. It generally occurs to me at least once during the day, but apparently I didn't think of it. I have shared about my spiritual journey in several posts. If you go to the search bar here on the blog page and put in 'my spiritual journey, you should come up with at least five titled posts, parts 1 to 5.

Dee, that sounds lovely...

Susie, I don't use a scented candle or keep them in the house. I'm very cautious about scented things as I tend to get migraines from them. However, I usually limit our candle lighting to Shabbat evenings and now and then to a supper that I want to make feel special, usually for a child, which seldom happens.

Dora, I think one of the loveliest of Christmas traditions is that of candles in the windows. Alas, we live far off the road and have no windowsills, boo hoo.

Kathy, Anne, Sarah, Tammy, and all others, I'm so happy you enjoyed this post. It came to me as I was watching the candles flicker last Shabbat and I got up from the table afterward and wrote that post out, just quickly scanning the web for reference and history and images. Sometimes the best inspirations are sudden as that.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post Terri, and perfect timing as autumn takes hold and the days become shorter.
We had an electrical problem a few weeks ago and a large section of the electricity in our house would only work intermittently thus, out of an abundance of caution, we shut off the entire breaker Our long time electrician was very booked at the time and wasn't able to send anyone over for a few days. The lack of electricity left our little powder room and the entire living room in darkness during the evenings. Of course, as you might guess, out came the candles (of which I have an over abundance haha). A small series of flickering votives on the mantle and in the powder room solved the problem and have now inspired us to keep up the habit because the atmosphere was so cozy and inviting.

On a more serious note, this post brought to mind a quote I came across the other day. I'm sorry to say I have forgotten the author and it is paraphrased but goes something like this:

"Darkness can never extinguish light but the smallest flicker of light has the ability to overcome darkness."

For some reason it really resonated with me. Dark to light...such a beautiful gift.
Much love,
Tracey
x0x

Anonymous said...

I started reading your blog about a year ago. I think Life with Dee recommendation. I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy it. My husband and I are retired also and I can so relate to the budget, groceries and life in general!! We live in central Louisiana so climates are similar.
Grandkids are a joy!!!!��

The article on candles was very interesting. I am going to read your blogs on spiritual journey. Sounds very interesting. Like you I prefer vintage decor and repurposed items. And reading!!!
Again thank you for making my week a bit brighter during these “dark” times.

Debra Gunter

terricheney said...

Tracey, It does sound perfectly romantical to have candlelight but I'm sorry you had to wait so long to have power restored.

Debra G., Thank you! Glad to have you join us here.