The Week Ahead: Hold On!

 


I have loved this kitchen since first I saw it some years ago in one of my magazines.  I'm pretty sure it's the colors that draw me in jut at first, but there's so many details here one you begin to look it over.

First let us go right to that floor.  You know, the guys who laid linoleum in those days must have been artists.  Look at those scallops!  


Now crane your necks and look at the light fixture on the ceiling.  Looking at the larger version of this photo, I'm pretty sure that the scallop around the light is also linoleum.  Scallops are obviously the theme.  The pelmet looking area over the stove and sink, and the cabinet in the corner and even the door frame about the door seems to have some scallop design.

How could we do anything but address that cabinet...Lazy Susan corner cupboard from floor to ceiling?!  Why yes, please!  It's making good use of that rather limited space between counter tops and door.  And that color contrasting paint on the inside.  Oh my!

To the right of the door is a white wall section...No clue what that might be...Fridge is next to it and then a small cabinet/counterop...and unless I miss my guess, that's a swinging counter that comes out from under that counter and turns into a breakfast bar there.  How clever is that?  I wonder where the stools are stored when not in use?  Perhaps under the same cabinet?

Now let's switch back over to the kitchen sink wall.  Look at how that mirror  gives the impression of a third window in the sink area.  I was fooled at first and then realized I was seeing the Corn Flakes box reflected in it.   Then that big stove.  Grandmother had a large stove and so did Granny with a broad work surface on the top...So handy.  

Yes, it's one of my favorite vintage kitchens.  Not as much counterspace perhaps as we're accustomed to these days but doggone if it isn't so cute, I don't think I'd mind a bit that space was a bit cramped.


We had a lovely quiet Saturday at home.  Katie ran by to visit for a little bit.  The day passed too quickly.  It was cold and stayed cold and didn't move off being cold all day long.   A good day to be at home and stay near the heater.

Work/Plans:  




Zone 2:  Living Room/Dining/Front Entry  I've already decluttered the old DVD player and sent it out to the shed.  What else will go?  I'm thinking I need to sort out the toy box.  There are many things in it and sometimes it closes and sometimes it does not.  I'm afraid the brown stick horse (aka Brownie) needs to be retired but the children are so fond of him...   I'll sort through the CD/Record cabinet as well as the Buffet and the cabinet with the DVDs but I'm not going to sort out books at this time.  So not so much really to go through as the kitchen had nor as the bedrooms might have.  

I've never really decorated the living room since Christmas.  I put out the things I had out before but I'd like to do something a little fresher for the winter months.  I have a sort of idea of things I might bring in to use...It's always trial and error.  I have my ideas and the house has other ideas.

We have doctor's appointments one day, in the morning.   

I'll need to go over checkbook totals and determine what's left of my grocery budget.  Then I'll figure out what I might need to buy but I'm NOT going grocery shopping this week at all, unless there is a most excellent sale on something we're low on.

John has two outings one day.  I'm not going to either one but I have decided I'll go plunder a thrift store or two.  I'm in the mood to go have a look about. 

I'd really like to get a Coffee Chat written...and I have one other post I'd like to try to get out of me.

It doesn't look like such a lot once written down...it's just the calendar is much fuller than usual!   I'll fill in the week with various household chores, and if time weighs especially heavy and I need to fill still more time, I'll work on my pantry, checking expiration dates and pulling those things that will need to be used sooner.

Kitchen:  

I'd really like to start on that recipe book of mine this week.  I think that task will make a nice quiet work task this week.

If weather warms up a little and is nice, I'll mop the kitchen this week...and the baths too because I generally do all hard floors when I mop.

Gathered Fragments: Not much left of what I shared on Friday.  We've eaten the venison as sandwiches, and reheated pot pie for supper.  I'll serve biscuits for a quick fix breakfast in the morning and will reheat breakfast casserole on Monday morning.  I've been sipping eggnog.

That leaves me with buttermilk and yogurt whey to use up.  I'll be making cornbread (buttermilk) and bread (whey) this week so that will help.

Meals:  Breakfasts:  Bagels, Orange Juice;  Toasted Cheese Biscuits; Breakfast Casserole, Fruit Salad;  Applesauce Muffins and Scrambled Eggs;  Oatmeal Cakes with Honey, Bacon; Grits with Sausage and Cheese Eggs, Toast; Cereal, Toast

Lunches:  Usually leftovers or sandwiches of leftovers

Dinners:  Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches (using venison roast leftovers), Mandarins

Chili, Rice, Cornbread, Pineapple Salad (Making extra rice and cornbread batter for use later in the week)

Roast Turkey, Stuffing, Greens

Turkey Tetrazzini, Green Peas, Carrot and Raisin Salad

Smoked Sausage with Cheesy Potatoes, Steamed Cabbage, Corn Muffins 

Turkey Fried Rice, Mandarins

Spaghetti, Garlic Toast, Green Salad

Leisure:



Coloring in my Bible if I have time while studying.

Thrift shopping.

Freshening the living room décor.

Reading vintage magazine or book.

13 comments:

Deanna said...

The pictures are so neat. They have a great feel to them. I like this time era.
AND these dresses are so pretty in my opinion.
Blessings,
d

Anne said...

People have been complaining for many years about how thin all models are and that they are not the natural shape for women. Apparently this has always been true, as I notice the drawing of women under "leisure". They all have the bodies of 8 year old boys. :D

Tracy said...

Beautiful pictures!

Lana said...

Test comment.

For several weeks my comments did not show up so I can only assume I was offensive in some way. I have not commented for about a month after that. Then I see Linda's comment above so I am confused.

terricheney said...

Lana, I have seen NO comments from you at all for quite awhile. In fact I'd gotten quite concerned. I even checked spam as well as unmoderated messages to be sure I hadn't somehow missed one from you. I consider you a valued part of this community and certainly would feel free at this point to discuss with you personally if I had an issue with anything.
As for Linda's comment...It was marked to delete and showed up anyway. Linda has an ongoing grudge against me and/or the blog apparently as that is pretty typical of what she has to say.

terricheney said...

Tracey, Anne and Deanna, I am loving the 1920's and '30's photos more and more. I like the colors and I like the simplicity of the households and the modesty of the clothing.
Anne, I agree...The illustrators did indeed push that thin prepubescent look for even mature women back then.

Anne said...

Terri, Oh modesty in clothing. I would give anything to have that back for women.

Lana said...

I love the colors and details of those vintage kitchens but they a seem so cramped. I am sure I would be knocking things over and spilling things left and right.

I am trying to think through what we need to be concerned about with the changes coming to our country. Yesterday I ordered a generator having remembered what Annabel has been though in Australia. At least we can keep the freezer and fridges cold with it. I had a third of our grocery money leftover from December and got a big iBotta cash back so I have not started on January money yet. The grocery sales are back here and even TP! We have gotten many free items and quite a bit for less than 50 cents such as boxes of good cereal. It seemed like the deals would never come back.

terricheney said...

Lana, We are planning to get a second larger generator that will power the freezer and fridge as well as a fan on those hot days or alternatively to run the well pump since we're dependent upon electricity for water here. I've asked more than once to have an old fashioned covered well, lol, and I'm not really kidding when I ask!

Lol on the cramped kitchen. The ones featured surely look more like apartment sized kitchens to me...but then again the two modern homes I lived in prior to this home both had small kitchens like that. Mine now seems vast compared to them and it's really a modest sized room.

I'm not seeing great sales, but I am seeing less limitations. I've tried to stock up while those limits are off but this month I needed the financial break from spending all my grocery money so I've held back on all but the best of sales. I am contemplating other changes I might make in order to hold things in line as well.

Lana said...

We seriously looked into a hand pump on our well back at Y2K. But, we have a 275 feet deep well with a 6 inch casing and there is no way to bring water up from that deep with a hand pump. If we drilled another well we would likely have to go that deep so that is not an option either. We could take 5 gallon buckets to our neighbors to fill. Some in our neighborhood are on city water and some on wells and we all help each other out in any way we can here. We do keep 6-8 24 packs of water here at all times for drinking.

Frances Moseley said...

I, too, love the vintage pictures. Those kitchens are lovely! Kitchens in many homes during the early part of the 20th century were small. As for the fashions of the 1920's and early 1930's--this was the "flapper" era when a very slim, boyish look was the "in" thing. I have read that some girls would bind their bosoms to get that flat-chested look. Good heavens!

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri, lovely post as usual.
I’ve just had my ‘elevenses’... a large mug of coffee and a banana and have taken the the time to read and enjoy
my visit with you.
I prefer more modest clothing and even in the summer you won’t find me in shorts p.... long flowing trousers usually but I do need to be careful with skin in the sun. I’ve been buying more dresses ( although I’m sat in jeans and a sweatshirt lol) ..it’s so much nicer to feel a little more feminine isn’t it.?
I’ve taken on board what you said re the deep cleaning and decluttering and yes you are right, one needs to allow a week really. ...although I did manage to do my downstairs shower room completely yesterday lol! Don’t think DH was too happy having to replace the rubber seals on the bottom of the shower door last night. The doors are curved but the new seals they supplied are straight 🙄so they are currently undergoing ‘modification’ on the kitchen table!! I think I may try my steam iron (covering with a cloth ofc) to see if the heat will make them more malleable.
Today’s job is the kitchen but I can see this taking the rest of the week and I’m fine with that. As you pointed out, we do have other tasks or errands to do.
My range cooker is currently apart with the oven racks sitting in a large plastic bag with a cleaning agent. Those are the one thing that I really do not like cleaning but I do like them clean lol. I buy a propriety cleaner for that and find that it’s money well spent. The only other thing I’ll do today is the mantle shelf and the polish up the rocking chair. All the cupboards can be done tomorrow. Hopefully those won’t take long as I do them frequently and like you cull stuff that I don’t use.
I’m hoping the weather will be a little kinder on Thursday as that’s when I’ll do my floors ~ like you said the hard floors don’t seem to dry so well at the moment and I’ve got a large area of stone flooring to cover.
I must leave it there as I need to call to see my mother and take her dog for a short walk...
Looking forward to next time ..
Karen x

Karen in WI said...

Love the vintage pictures Terri. I remember when I first found your blog, it was the vintage pictures that pulled me in. I need to search EBay for vintage magazines. I also heard that with a Good Housekeeping subscription, you get digital access to all their back issues. Something I have been meaning to check out. That would be cheaper than buying the real thing on the Bay.

Lana, I have missed your comments too! I had a busy December so did not comment much.

We have had a generator on our wish list for a while as we too are on a well and need electricity for water. While I have been extremely unsettled with the events of the past few months, it was a relief to see our democracy hold and I pray that the worst is behind us. Between that and COVID, it’s just a lot of trauma for a people to go through and it’s just evidence that we need to follow God and his word, and spread his light and love! And be prepared. We do need to increase our emergency preparedness. Our pantry is fine, but we have holes elsewhere. I just don’t think it will fit in the budget this year as we are finishing our window installment and getting new siding on the house. I will be glad when these very pricey projects are done. We are definitely staying in this house. Love and hugs to all!