Coffee Chat: Spring Has Sprung



Hello dears.   Do come in and join me with coffee.  I haven't a thing sweet to offer to go along but there are biscuits left from breakfast.  Would you like one toasted with butter and spread with jam?  It does seem more fitting to tea perhaps and we've that, too, if you'd prefer.

I looked out across the fields this morning at all the white blooms and the pale tender green of barely there new leaves.    In the long ago old days, when girls wore white dresses it was always pink or blue ribbons tied about their waists.  Why not pale green, do you suppose?  How lovely that should have looked to see pale green against the white, just like spring.   

There's one especially tall white tree on the fence line, swaying gently like a young girl swaying to a quiet strain of music.   I know that hidden in that tall white column of a tree are branches with long cruel thorns and the flowers themselves stink to high heaven.  But against the pale blue of the sky and the soft warming grey of about to burst into leaf trees behind it, the tree is lovely.  And I'll take it's loveliness at face value just now.   One can appreciate beauty even if it is merely a disguise.   The knowledge that it's only skin deep is key though. 


Well the look of spring begun is here, but it's deceptive.  It's been cool this morning, cool enough to warrant the heat coming on several times.  Spring is such a mixture of cruel cold, crueler after the few brief warm days we've had, mixed with a sudden heat that is out of proportion to the morning cold.  Here of late it's been deep frosty mornings and by mid afternoon the AC is kicking on.  No electric savings this time of year with heat in the mornings and AC in the afternoons. 

There is a new season upon us.  I've been feeling it all this year, since the beginning, but it seems foolish to say, "Look a new season cometh..." when there's no sign at all of anything new, just more of the sameness that existed before.   But the season is new and something has shifted.   Not completely in lovely ways.  There's a deep rumbling bitterness underneath much of life at the moment.  One vlogger described it as "The world has gotten meaner..."  and it has, but few  say so.  It becomes political quickly and it becomes divisive immediately.  But it is there, the meanness.  I've seen it myself.

I believe though that hope springs just as fully alive as ever.  I see it in the smiles and hear it in the laughter of those about me.  There's a faith that things are not as bad as they seem nor people quite as nasty as a few are determined to be.   Life is not endlessly harsh  There is still good there to be found.  Perhaps we have to overlook a few more rocks in the path than usual but it's still there.  Great kindness and lovely generosity and people who are uplifting those around them.     That's the sort I want to be.  Not mean and temperamental and bitter but kind and generous and uplifting.  It's a challenge to me to overcome myself at times, and that's truth.  Occasionally I can turn the other cheek and turn again to the other side, too but eventually I have enough and remind others that their snarkiness and negativity is theirs to own and not mine and then I feel better.  Don't we all?  No one said we had to become the doormats for another's muddy shoes.

I'd been off my Bible study and prayer times lately.  I'd noticed it, of course, and I did struggle with myself to get back to it but this week  I sat down for a bit to journal, something else I've neglected.  I don't know if any of you journal but for me, I just write out the problem and then let my thoughts flow and my pen goes along the page and suddenly I'll find I've been writing something worth reading and start taking it in.   So it was this day, as well.  I started with my questioning of why I'd been so distant from God lately, especially after that long dry spell I'd gone through just before December of 2020.

As I wrote, I contemplated all the ways I feed my spirit so to speak and all the things I knew I ought to be doing in order to keep from hitting another spiritual drought.  I found myself writing about the Spiritual Awareness series of sermons our church hosted in January.  I'd had such a deep experience during one of those sessions and I was a bit shocked at myself for not carrying it forward.

I realized with a start that I was spiritually sated since that moment.  That lovely spiritual time in January satisfied something so  deep within me and I've been just drifting along in complete contentment, not seeking a thing, not asking a thing, not doing a thing to maintain this very personal relationship.  Confession time: I tend to be the same with John.   When most content, I do the least to maintain that quality relationship status with him.   It is a great wrong I render him and most certainly to God.  It bespeaks  a deeply selfish nature.  "I'm happy at the moment, so you just go away, I'll call when you're needed."  That's what I mean.

Well that brought me up short on both accounts.  You see, I hadn't recognized that I had been the same with John until I saw that was how I'd been with God.  They are both such deeply intimate relationships.  I've said often enough that my trust in God grew apace with my trust in John. Well so has my love for both grown apace, because the more I trusted the more I loved and the more loved I felt.  I came from a deeply wounded personal and spiritual past into these relationships both with John and with God and it's taken time to reach this state of intimacy.  Unfortunately, what hadn't changed was my former response to being content.   It was good to have my eyes opened and to become aware of something I needed to change.

I picked up the book The Rosemary Tree by Elizabeth Goudge this past week and finished it before Sunday was over.  This book is one of my two most favorite by Elizabeth Goudge.  The other is The Scent of Water.  All of her books have a deeply spiritual slant and make me really look hard at myself.  Truth told, that deeper awareness of myself revealed in my journaling on Monday no doubt came about because I'd just finished The Rosemary Tree.

The humbleness of the vicar John really spoke to me.  He couldn't see all the good he was doing.  He saw only his failures which he felt were extreme.  I can't say I've ever allowed myself to be quite that humble...but now and then I do become aware that I'm not 'all that' as the young people say and this moment of awareness brought me up short.  It was my personal stumbling block and it was needed.

I've said before that not all stumbling blocks are meant to prevent our passage.  There are some meant to make us stop and take notice of things, to look about for a moment at our surroundings rather than being hell bent on some future task, blinded to the path before us.  There's nothing like stumbling to make you slow down is there?  I'm so glad I was made to stumble!  I needed to become aware of this trait of mine and to work to correct it.

A friend prompted me to examine who I was as a child.  I've often felt I was wrong to join the church at 9 as I did but in looking from this side of life  back at that moment, I think my objection had little to do with my spiritual state as much as it had to do with the grownups about me being so willing to assume I'd had a spiritual experience that led to it.   It wasn't that I didn't believe in God, nor in Jesus.  I did and had for as long as I could ever think back.  But I was irritated by the lack of concern that I'd been manipulated by my grandfather's weeping and stating he was dying (he was but it was a manipulation all the same) and wished to be assured of seeing me again in heaven.   And that moment led me to step away from all faith for a bit and to examine hard all the reasons why I should believe and what it meant to me personally to believe.   Ultimately I came right back around to the same sure belief I'd had always: There is a God and He is.  I've never felt unsure of Him since, only of myself.

After a week of being very busy indeed, we've had a quiet day at home.  It's been awfully nice to enjoy this time just puttering quietly about.  It seems of late I have had an added appreciation for my time spent at home and about 95% of my time is spent right here.  I don't get bored or weary of it very often. I like my home.  I like the business of it and the romance of it and the history of it.  

I think Psalms says it best:

6The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.

It's hard to better David, isn't it?

Well it's a short chat, to be sure, but it's time to begin supper so I'd best end.   Do drop by again!

15 comments:

Mable said...

I SOOOO envy your belief in God and an afterlife. I have prayed for belief, but have found none. For years I practiced "Fake it until you make it" religion, hoping it would open me up to belief. Still nothing. You are very fortunate to have found it.

Shirley in Washington said...

Terri - Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your faith! I am curious what the white tree with the thorns and stinky flowers is? I am a PNW "girl" born and bred - just curious about Southern plants. Mable, I read your comment about your struggle to find belief and faith and wanted you to know I am praying for you! Blessings, Shirley

terricheney said...

Shirley it is a wild pear, perhaps Bradford?, but another friend called them Hawthorn trees. I don't really know just what they are. The birds spread them from the seed of the fruit and they grow rather rapidly. This morning I was looking out the kitchen window and noted a tall white spire of another tree in an area where we had none such a few years ago.

Mable, like Shirley, I too am putting this matter to prayer. Your honesty and your longing were so apparent in this comment that I felt compelled to share it. I can't tell you how to have the experience because it's a very individual thing for all of us, but I am praying that God will open you to this. In the meantime, I know you are a good person, a kind soul and I admire you greatly for your honest comment. HUGS!!!

Best Bun said...

Terri

Maybe that white tree is just the Bride coming towards your house to send blessings for the Sabbath. Am undergoing PT for a broken arm. Has made for some interesting situations. DH is definitely looking a little worse for wear!This too shall pass.

Best wishes from Best Bun.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri....
Smashing posts as usual...I’ve been reading along but haven’t left a comment - very remiss of me - I’m sorry...
I don’t think I had anything of note to say ....
The tree you describe sounds like a Hawthorn tree especially with the stinky flowers ...do they turn to berries late summer early autumn?

I’m reading the psalms at the moment , quite my favourite book I think as they’re short and easy to digest. I have emails each day from BIOY or bible in one year. This year I’m trying to concentrate on just psalms.
You’re not on your own regarding ‘a dry spell’.
I sometimes read without reading if you get what I mean.
I think sometimes as humans we need something tangible or plausible to perhaps ‘prove’ our faith ..... after all we read of great miracles in the bible. I think maybe looking at the more subtle things and thanking God is the way to go for me.
I caught myself being thankful for my warm coat the other day. And today I had my COVID jab ,with Dh having his next week, so I’m thankful for all the clever people involved in the COVID vaccines, the health professionals and the logistics teams who’ve made it possible .....perhaps we could apportion these to God...after all I’m sure he needs foot soldiers. I know it’s subtle but I don’t think I’m quite ready to be hit by a thunderbolt just yet!,
I think it’s fitting you talk of new seasons etc ....I really do feel that this vaccine rollout is the start ...turning a corner ....the world is almost ready again...everything is looking brighter.

Karen

Lana said...

Mable, belief is not a feeling but rather knowing that God sent His son Jesus to die for our sins. Acknowledging that you have sinned and trust in His death for the covering and forgiveness of your sins is all that is needed. Praying and confessing that you are a sinner and want Him to forgive you and abide in your heart is all that is needed. When I think of all the ways I have sinned it is enough to break my heart and know what a huge sinner I am. Then look for a good Bible teaching church and make daily Bible reading a part of your life. One way to find a church is to ask people that you see doing volunteer work in your community where they go. One thing I know without a shadow of a doubt is that He loves you more than anyone else and He is waiting to welcome you with open arms.

terricheney said...

Thank you Lana for stepping in. I know I should be a witness but struggle with the 'message' part of it...

terricheney said...

Karen, Hawthorne sounds right as they do look similar to a bradford pear but definitely are NOT bradford.

Bun, I am so sorry about your arm. I shall put you and your dear hubby on the prayer list!! You'll both need it, lol.

Lana said...

Mable, you would be welcome to live stream my church at hopepoint.org. 9:15 and 11 right now. March 28 we go to three services for social distancing. 9, 10:30 and 12.

Shirley in Washington said...

Thanks for letting me know what the white tree is. I googled Hawthorne trees and there is a lot of fascinating information about them. It looks likes a type of Hawthorne can grow in my area. Spring is just starting to creep into my homeland - a few swelling buds and daffodils. Have a wonderful weekend!

terricheney said...

Karen, I'm sorry I inadvertently deleted your next comemnt. I'm sorry for your fall. I did address the previous comment to Best Bun, but shortened it to Bun, lol.

Anonymous said...

"The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance."

Wow...this Psalms quote really hit home to me. Like you it perfectly describes the blessings in my life. This post is lovely and has me immediately looking up "The Rosemary Tree". Thank you so much Terri, as always.
Much Love,
Tracey
x0x

P.S. Dear Mable you are in our prayers. I agree with Lana in that it's about accepting the beautiful gift He has given us by covering our sins with His sacrifice. If we do no more than that we are way closer to Home than those that do not. I've realized that there are lots of good souls who just don't experience great epiphanies, spiritual awakenings and the like. I suspect that keeping our connection with the good Lord intact is what's of primary importance; as well as always trying to be a good hearted and good acting person. Key word here is "trying"! Perhaps just as important is to remember to get up again after the inevitable falling away...which tends to happen off and on to us all in this fallen world.

Jo said...

Terri, I am late to the party, but must thank you for all your thoughts on your relationship with God and with your DH and especially the paragraph that begins, "I believe though that hope springs just as fully alive as ever." That paragraph is a testimony in itself; hopefully Mable will agree. Count me in as one who will be praying for Mable! My suggestion for her would be to read the New Testament for a beginner introduction to God's beautiful love letter to us. Follow with Psalms and Proverbs. Also, 1 Kings 19:11-13, where God was not in the wind, the earthquake or the fire, but in the still, small voice!

Kay said...

Mable, I, too, am praying for God's blessing of giving you the faith to believe in Him. For I believe He gives everything, including faith. There is nothing we can "do" but only accept that Jesus died for your/my/the world's sins. And let God make it real to you. **HUG**

Terri dear, thank you for your words on just drifting along in your relationship with God & John. I have been struggling with "life" lately. I thank God daily, multiple times but just can't make the time to do much Bible reading or study.
And just today I was not the most pleasant to my Farmer. I finally got to take 3 days off from work and so wanted to be home alone but R is on the final days of his surgery recovery, so still home from work. He had some minor "needs" (pain, low blood sugar, etc) and I just had had it. Then ds2 called with not being able to come out because ddil wasn't feeling well. I just wanted to shout at them all saying "What if I just fell apart like everyone else??? Who would take care of me and my needs???" Such a unkind thing to think but think it I did. I'm weary of being everything to everyone else. And so I had a bit of a pity-party with Father God. And I know that if I let Him, Jesus will strengthen me. But you know, I don't want to be strengthened. I just want to be taken care of for a little while and not have to be "on" for everyone else. I just can't anymore. But I have to, so I will. I remind myself, some glad morning, in Heaven, I won't care about these trivial trials anymore and won't be weary or worn out anymore. Thank you for showing me my need for always spending time with Him. Even in the heaviness of life. Even when I can't. He's there, He understands, and He will still love me even when I'm being a bit stubborn and unlovable.
Hugs to you too. K

terricheney said...

Tracey, it's just so fitting a line from Psalms isn't it?

Jo, Thank you. I'm glad this post spoke to you.

Dear Kay, it so often seems when I most need that alone time, someone else 'needs' my time, too. I often cry out to God, 'When do I get my turn?' when I'm frustrated at having to give to another. You are definitely not alone in that. It's always a moment of being stretched hard and then God turns around and gives me more than I need and in such a lovely way!