My First Stitch Fix Box

 


It was purely on a whim that I joined Stitch Fix this month.  Truth told I'd been curious for the past couple of years and had seen many vloggers and bloggers alike share their items.  Bess had joined a few years ago and I'd been impressed with what she'd gotten from them and knew that she still had many of those pieces.  

So after watching Frugal Fit Mom try on her latest box of things, I thought I'd take a chance on one. I had some birthday money set aside and was hopeful it would cover the cost.  I went online, did the style quiz, gave an honest account of my weight, height and sizes in tops and bottoms and shoes and played a little multiple choice game where I tagged which pictures of outfits appealed to me.

Just to compare two sites, I also considered Wantable but they wanted measurements of length of arms and inseam and this and that and it seemed like far too much trouble to me so I quickly closed that page and skipped that long winded process.


I put in my information on Friday I think and they said I'd receive my first box on March 1.  Initial charge was $20, a styling fee, which was refundable if I purchased any item in the box.   That seemed reasonable enough.  I've paid that much in shipping before and they weren't charging me for shipping at all.  And it was a guaranteed postage free return on any or all items.   I'd noted this when Bess was receiving her shipments.

Monday afternoon I had my first box.   The box was smaller than I'd thought it might be.  In fact, I was a little disappointed.  I thought it meant I had little choice in my first items.  I was wrong.

My first reaction on opening the box was "Ooh!"   There was a lovely soft olive green knit fabric.  It was such a lovely rich color that I just stood there admiring it until John asked me "Well what is it?!"  lol, which prompted me to finally take it out.

I found that piece was a cardigan.  Then I pulled out a lovely deep teal blue print pullover blouse, a sleeveless blue and white print on a navy background top, a soft rose pink cardigan with a lacing detail on the back and a soft terry type knit white with charcoal stripe top.  


this sweater has a nice lacing detail up the back

the description says this is black and white but it reads as a soft charcoal in my opinion

I really liked this top right away.  The colors are so pretty!

the blue and white one I almost discounted right away.  It's actually two different tones of blue.


I tried on each piece and they all fit just fine.  I  was iffy on the blue and white print and the stripe top but John insisted I keep them both.  Once I tried on the blue and white print, I was easily convinced but I doubted him on the stripe.  However I agreed to keep all five pieces and try them as John urged me to do.

One of the features I appreciated with the packing was not only a note from the stylist but a total of five cards with two outfit possibilities for each piece in the box.   


I found on the website that I could 'shop my look' and find still further ideas for mixing and matching pieces.   After my years of time spent on Pinterest trying to recreate a general look/feel with similar colors/textures/etc. using what I have, I really appreciate that added bonus.  I gained insight into how I might truly wear the pieces I received in my own way, using what I have on hand.

I think it was Tammy who asked if I had linked my Pinterest to my profile in Stitch Fix and I hadn't but I plan to do that.  Still, I don't know how much more on target this stylist could have been!

I don't know why, but I chose to wear the top that I thought would least suit me first.  It was the French Terry knit top.   The stylist had suggested in her personal note that I might like to pop either cardigan over the top.  I chose to use the olive cardigan...

I paired the top and cardigan with skinny jeans and then spied a scarf in the closet that I thought would work well with the top.  I put on my camo slouch back sneakers (from Walmart) and felt rather well put together.  My sole purpose in this first outfit was comfort with a little touch of something extra.

I actually rolled up the sleeves which are a tad too long on the shirt.  I noticed detailing in wearing it today that I hadn't noted before and I really was comfortable.  The cardigan and the shirt together were just the right layering for today's cooler temperatures.  Both pieces are so soft and comfortable.  While I have the cardigan over my shoulders in the photo I actually put it on properly before we went out.  I felt it better showed the striped shirt to have it just over the shoulders.

I confess that olive cardigan is something I really like a lot.  It's a lovely deep tone and the texture of the knit is really nice.  I liked it in the box and I've loved wearing it.

My next outfit to wear was the floral print blouse.  It was cold the day  I wore that and I paired it with a rust colored camisole underneath, the olive jeans and my blue jeans jacket.  I added a tiger eye necklace and a citrine green crossbody bag.  I felt comfortable and well dressed but displeased with my shoes this day.  I could have worn others and I'll certainly take more time in deciding what suits next time I get dressed.

Without the jacket.  Sorry about the blurry photo

a closer shot with the jeans jacket and the rust cami peeking out of the v-neck.


I haven't yet worn the other shirt or cardigan just yet.  I did order a pair of white jeans from Cato.  I'd meant to get some anyway and when I received the suggestion card that paired the blue and white sleeveless blouse with white pants I felt it was a clear sign to go ahead.   The stylist suggested wearing the pink cardigan over that shirt and I think it will make a pretty outfit, too.  

I kind of think when I do wear the top for the first time, I'll wear it with jeans, but I haven't really played with it just yet.  

I really am pleased and feel it's good value thus far.  I've noted many of the accessories are higher end than I'd typically buy and I'm not adverse to receiving those pieces but I am perfectly happy with what I received in my first box.

9 comments:

Anne said...

Oh, I liked every single piece also. How lucky you got. Kristen, at The Frugal Girl hardly ever seems to get anything she likes.

Thanks so much for all your work in trying them on and showing them to us.

I'll stop nagging now. :D

Donna said...

Several bloggers I follow have done the subscription boxes and have been mostly pleased. So happy you like what you received and the outfits are cute!

Cindi Myers said...

Thank you for sharing. I love everything you received!

Karen in WI said...

I think all of these pieces are just lovely too, Terri. It’s nice how you can mix and match them. The cardigans have a bit of something different going on which elevates them from the ordinary. I started my profile and then went back to put in the referral code you gave me. On the screen it said I could not use that as I was not a new customer. I put a note in my order with the referral code so hopefully it will go through when I get my order, scheduled for early May. Have fun wearing your new things!

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

All of your new outfits look so nice on you. Thank you for showing them to us.

Liz from New York said...

I’ve always wondered about those boxes. Cute and comfy looking. I’m all about being comfortable, stretch and soft. Nothing binding, and nothing that needs ironing. Thank you for sharing.

Shirley in Washington said...

Thanks for your review of this service. I have heard the commercial on the radio and wondered about it. I love what you received. I don't like shopping for clothes and have a hard time finding the fit and style I like. I need to renew my wardrobe! Blessings, Shirley

Tammy said...

You got a great first box! I would have kept it all as well.

Mine arrived on Saturday and I'll open it today. I took a sneak peek online when I got the email it had shipped, and wasn't excited about my choices. Though, I may change my mind when I see it out of the box. I told them no pants, but they sent a pair of jeans, and a cardigan that is a color I never wear because of the color of my complexion.

I have gotten a few pairs of earrings and a couple of necklaces in past boxes. Most of them I kept.

terricheney said...

Tammy, I can't wait for my next box. I'm regretting a little that I chose every three months but I know full well I don't need loads of new things. I'm very curious to see what they will send next. I hope you like something from your box...