The Week Ahead: Springing Forward

 



This week's kitchen is another of Hazel Dell Brown's designs, this one a little more of a Keeping Room meant for perhaps an older more historic home.

I love this sweet blue and white kitchen.  Of course, the brick pattern Armstrong Vinyl plays an important role in the room and appears authentic to the history of the house.  The lay out of the kitchen is not really visible, but it appears to consist mostly of that back wall.  Just in that nook behind the fireplace to the right is a window with the kitchen sink.  I have no clue where the fridge might be.  It appears we move from the stove to a short counter top space and then right to the Hutch or Welsh Dresser.  


I've looked at the larger picture and it seems that the floor near the fireplace is a different pattern of brick, bordered from the main body of the kitchen brick floor pattern.  Or is it just my eyes?

I just love the room though.  It's such an inviting space and I can just see how cozy it would be to have that fire going on a cold winter's day or night and the family gathered in the room near the fire.  The decor is just a lovely blending of the modern kitchen wall with the historic aesthetic of the home.  I love the Pennsylvania Dutch painting on the cabinets, obviously borrowed from the antique desk and Welsh Dresser.

Work:  


This week I'll be in Zone 3 Beds and Baths.  I  don't really know what I shall work on in these zones this time.  I've been doing tasks as I see them this month.  I think I'll do a declutter and deep vacuum. I would love to get new pillow shams and spring/summer spread for my bed and I may devote a little of my time to looking online and seeing what is available.  I also need a new spread for the guest room but think I can use my old spring/summer spread...I'm in the mood to refresh, can you tell?  The seasons are changing here with peach and pine trees beginning to bloom and I want to bring the new season into my home.

I'm sick of the guest bathroom mirror which was white and then I painted it a distressed silver.  Time to change that up.  I think I'll likely end going white on that again.  I also noted that the door that room needs a good scrub and fresh paint.  I'll try to get that done as well this week.

I still have plenty of yard work to do outdoors: flower beds to weed, pots to be removed and plans to make regarding what the little bed next to the back steps will look like.  Of course, it's meant to rain most of the week but I'll wager there are dryer spells when I can sleep outdoors to get a few minutes work in.  Okay...Anne pointed out my mistake in the last sentence and I really meant 'slip' but apparently some portion of my brain spelled out 'sleep' instead.  But it's funny enough to make me snicker, so I hope it makes you smile at the very least.  I'll just leave it as a mistake.

We haven't really gone grocery shopping yet so I assume we might go this coming week. I need mostly produce.  I'd like to get a corned beef while they are on sale.  Nothing big required though. 

 I'm going to plan a little heavier shopping next month to stock up on shelf stable milk, get up to date on some of the long term storage, etc.  I say long term, but what I mean is I'd really like to work towards having a year's worth of shelf stable foods in our home.  Kimmie (She's In Her Apron on YouTube) has been doing a food storage series each month and gives a list each month of things to stock up.  The list she reads from is a per adult stock up.  I'm going to go back to January and jot down each of the items in January/February/March and as I see them come up on sale, I'll buy what I can of them.

That mending I didn't do last week awaits.  And I found another tee shirt to alter to add to that stack of things.

I began my lists last week of projects to do about the house.  I now need to write down my list of items needed to complete those projects but I'll begin work on one or two that need other things down prior to the finishing touches.  I mean sanding and weeding and the real elbow grease sort of work will start this week I think.  I'm focusing first on those things because with pollen floating around there's little point in the washing/painting part and it's still too early to plant but there is plenty of preliminary work that must be done.

A list I'd like to make this week is of summer time menus.  As you all know in the depth of the summer heat which can be oppressive some years, I try my best to not use my oven for anything. I rely on the bread machine and toaster oven for months, and I use the slow cooker as much in summer, as I do in winter.  However, we prefer lighter meals overall.  So I want to make note of recipes we typically choose in summer and create a list of menus and have cooling ideas for desserts.  We still want out sweet once a day but baking is pretty much out.   So I really want to put thought into that matter before it gets hot and have a list ready.  Somehow, in summer, I just can't think of any foods I'd like, but I can in the cooler season of the year!   

I also want a cooling afternoon drink, not alcoholic but  refreshing,  as a sort of pick me up.  I find I want afternoon coffee far less in the heat of summer months.  So that's another list I'd like to make.  I've always loved those punches they serve at showers and bridal parties, but it's been YEARS since I've been to any such things and why not figure out how to make those punches in smaller quantities for our at home use.

Kitchen: 






 

I keep saying I'll make this or that but don't.  I'm not talking about menu plans but breakfast breads and yogurt and such.  

I really like the homemade bagel recipe I use so I'd like to make some up.  The more I eat homemade breads the less I want to eat commercial breads...Anyone else feel the same?    I've made English muffins exactly twice and it's no more fussy making those than it is to make bagels.  Again, there's a superior taste in making homemade.  I did discover though that we've never used English muffins overmuch.  However, I like them as burger buns and toasted for breakfast and find them a nice sturdy base for homemade "McCheneys", etc.  And they keep well in the freezer.  So put down those two breads this week on my list.

As for yogurt, I've had to come to the conclusion that cheap as it is to make at home, no one but me is going to indulge.  Even if I use my homemade yogurt in baking or salad dressing or as a sub for sour cream, there's almost always a waste.  I think I'm just going to have to figure out how I can make the smaller quantities as it's too much for me to use up when I make a half gallon at a time.   I'll have to buy milk this week before I can make yogurt.

I suppose I ought to have tucked grocery shopping into my kitchen list this week...Well here it is a second time.  Again, I don't need loads of things but I do find my list is growing.  However, I've only about $100 left of this month's budget.  I need to set aside a portion of this month's to help cover the coffee order coming in at the end of the month.

I'll mix up more of that expired powdered milk to use in baking this week.

Meals:

Weather this week will be rainy and mild.  I can continue this week with the heartier winter dishes but Sunday is meant to be in the 80's so we're definitely heading into the warmer days of the year.  Sneak peeks of it are showing up more and more!

Italian Sausage and Ravioli, Salad

Grammas Fried Chicken?  It's on sale this week...but Taylor's not coming because little Caleb was sick again with a virus.  I've yet to make an alternate meal plan but I've a load of food and time to think before then.  We might go on and do our bit of grocery shopping while we're already in town for church and this would be convenient.

Roasted Chicken with Winter Vegetables and Apples, English Peas, Rolls  This is using up some frozen sweet potato and butternut squash from the freezer.  I said I was going to pretty much empty my freezer of the stockpile of vegetables and fruits I have to make room for other things I'd rather have frozen like chicken products and milk and such.  This is the bare beginning but it's a beginning.

Red Beans and Rice, Coleslaw, Cornbread, Peach Cobbler

Corned Beef with Cabbage and Potatoes, Soda Bread

Fish Fillets, Fries, leftover slaw, Hushpuppies

Chicken Pot Pie, Pear Salads

Leisure:

I talked John into an impromptu date day on Friday and it was a lovely drive through country side and then a very late lunch/very early supper at a nice little restaurant we enjoy in that area.  In fact, we travel to that town to eat solely at that particular place!   It was quite nice and while it's hardly 'leisure' for this week it is worth mentioning here.

Last week I finished working on the one notebook of notes for my genealogy files in two family files. Now it's time to take that same notebook and work on two other family files.  I really enjoy this work so I do count it as leisure.

I also took time last week evening to hand sew and this process was so soothing that I shall continue it a few more evenings.

Continue to watch the first season of "Victoria" which is on Amazon Prime for free viewing.  It finally occurred to me that I'd been captive for the past year to John's YouTube obsession...and I can access Amazon and Katie's Netflix on my computer so I can watch some things I'd like to view.  Anyone watched "Bridgerton"?  I hope to get to that next when "Victoria" is done.

Reading.  I've started an Emilie Loring novel, Spring Always Come, which I expect I'll finish this weekend.  These novels seldom take me took long to read.  Then I have Anita Daimant's, The Red Tent on my table to start next.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry, long-time silent reader here. I want to give you a heads-up regarding "Bridgerton": I quite enjoyed it but it does become rather graphic after a few episodes. Joana

Mary said...

I really enjoyed Bridgerton, but be forewarned, it is very racy at times. I only watched the first season -- don't know if the second season is out yet. Each season follows one of the Bridgerton children.

Anne said...

I love noticing funny typos.

"I'll wager there are dryer spells when I can SLEEP outdoors to get a few minutes work in."

I really did picture you napping on the front lawn with a trowel in your hand to look like you were gardening.

Anonymous said...

Have you read any of the Gladys Taber books?? I think you would really enjoy them. A much simpler time, for sure. She wrote beautifully.

I do agree with the others who have mentioned Bridgerton. Beware!! It is quite graphic.

I, too, as Anne said, had visions of you napping in one of your flower beds. I wonder what the dogs would think? Although it might keep the beds from being dug up! Have a good week! chris

terricheney said...

Thank you all for your warnings about Bridgerton. I will keep that in mind. John and I have a tendency to fast forward through scenes that get racy. The lovemaking in Victoria has been tame, in keeping with their point of view, but I was pretty sure Bridgerton wouldn't be as nice but I've heard the story was quite interesting and the costumes beautiful.

Anne, lol. I didn't mean sleep but slip however, it was perhaps a freudian thing? I've made a note on the post but I didn't correct it.

Chris, I wonder if that's not about the only way I can keep the dogs from digging them up? lol Too funny.
I have several of Mrs. Taber's books here. An old librarian recommended her to me loads of years ago. Another old friend I need to take off the shelf and visit with.

Chef Owings said...

the floor in front of the fireplace would have been fire proof, like real brick or a glazed stone other wise a spark at anytime from the fire would have burnt the flooring.
I have a elderly neighbor when growing up that's kitchen was close to this, the "frig" would have been an ice box beside the back door which was next to the sink. The ice man could put the ice in the ice box from outside the house. She put a small frig in the same spot

Cindi Myers said...

I agree with you about homemade bread. Another thing we have noticed when we do purchase store-bought bread is that it lasts forever -- I'm talking still not stale after a couple of weeks. That tells me there must be tons of preservatives in it. When I bake sandwich bread I cut the loaves in half and freeze the excess. We can eat half a loaf before it goes stale, but not a whole one.

Liz from New York said...

I love that homey looking little kitchen. I’m hoping the weather here stays mild we had 69 degrees 2 days this week. I went to dollar tree, and picked up seeds and pots, nothing fancy but I like their little garden doo-dads. I also went to the Christmas Tree Shop, not sure if that’s a thing down south, but they have bit if everything, heavy on the garden type stuff. Was able to get the last 3 packages of heirloom tomato seeds, some seed starter, and a few different kind of vegetables and flowers. Going to be crazy busy, this week, what with St. Patrick’s Day, a dinner party the Ancient Order of Hibernians throw every year ( my husband is a member), sports are starting to ramp up for my kids. Softball and dance for Emily, my son has 2 baseball teams, and 2 separate bowling leagues , plus he coaches little kids in bowling one afternoon a week. We are at a dance competition today for daughter, and the time changed nearly killed us lol. Plus Emily starting a new job as well. I’m tired just thinking about it. Anyway, I hope your weather holds and you get to plant!

Tammy said...

I enjoyed Bridgerton very much in that the cast is diverse, the costuming is incredible, and sets are gorgeous. The Queen is quite a character.

I'm watching "Good Girls" at the moment. It wasn't what I expected, and after the second season it seems to be the same story, different details. Still, I enjoy the characters. The bad guy seems to have a fan following, and the actor is interesting, so I'll finish the seasons currently available.

We had a fun "fake" Spring, but now back to seasonal temps in the 40s. It rained all weekend and is forecast for most of this week as well. Gray, bleak, wet, windy, and cold will keep me indoors.

Louise said...

I just couldn't get into Bridgerton at all.. much too racy for my liking.. I have enjoyed Virgin River on Netflix.. I've watched all the seasons so far and new seasons are coming in November, I believe.. I can't wait.

Kay said...

Casting my vote against Bridgerton as well. I tried it and watched some YouTube reviews and decided it was not for me. More and more I am finding I like simple, Clean, homey, faith-based, Clean (again) stories. Here's an idea, I am following a British vlogger who lives in Italy (Nicki Positano) with her partner Carlo and daughter Skye. It's so interesting. A lot of home-based living during their lock-down last year.

Looking forward to Spring here on the Prairie also. The sun is finally shining today but it's still cold. Farmer is wearing 2 hoodies and a stocking cap as he's working out on a project in the corncrib. But I did notice the hostas are poking through! I should be planning my spring work but it needs to get warm again for me to get motivated.
Hug K

terricheney said...

Juls, I've never lived with an open fireplace so I had no idea it might be a safeguard! Thank you for bringing that point up.

Cindi, talk about bread lasting forever...I've been watching Frugal Fit Mom and she orders these loaves called Take and Back from Thrive market that have oxygen packets inside and she pops them on the pantry shelf where they stay for months! I'm realizing as I get older that what I don't like I don't like and I don't have to push myself to like it anymore. My list now includes store bought breads of most types, potato soup, those funky Chinese mushrooms, sour pickles and canned mushrooms. I'm sure the list will grow now that I'm giving myself permission to not like things, lol.

Liz, I think the Christmas Tree shops are more northern stores. I don't know of any down here at all but Donna Davis has shown them in her vlog.

Tammy we are having a quite real spring here, even though it will still get quite cool at times. The birds are singing their hearts out.

Louise I've seen ads for Virgin River but haven't looked into it fully.

Kay, I've heard that Nikki Positano was quite good to watch before. I'll have to check her out.