In September: Goal Minded

 


At the time of this writing, we are nearly done with August.  It's literally just days until September and I've been thinking of home needs, of weather preparedness, of Christmas, and all the things that seem to push their way to the forefront of my mind as we approach Autumn.  My head is full.


Apparently it's not just me.  John looked at me this morning and said "We'll have to cut back this Christmas..." and truly I'd been thinking along those lines myself.  I've been purchasing the odd gift here and there and so far I've gotten three...I'm already stifling the 'but it's not enough!' thoughts that want to crowd in.   I hadn't planned to cut back this year but then July happened and so we must.  I've not really got a plan.  I'm just snatching up items as I see them and think "Oh! X would love that!"  Mind you I've got a long way to go yet and I need to make a list and put what I've purchased or a checkmark next to the ones I've already covered.   So first goal for September: Christmas gift list and second goal is to keep my eyes open and do my shopping as I can find items.  That means I must make looking and shopping a priority, otherwise, I'll do what I am prone to do, postpone going out and then get caught in a pressurized situation come December and have less money and shoddy gifts.  So goal three: get out and actively shop every single week.

I'm determined to finish the mulch at the house in town.  I figure I need about 20 bags all told.  I don't know that I can get them all this month but I know I can buy 8-10 bags at a time if I'm hauling in my car.  I'll have to pinch this money from my allowance but to finish that job would be a big deal to me.  I'd feel I'd made real headway just to get this far along. Then next spring perhaps I can get the plants we want to put out.

I'm sure I'll be keeping Caleb, for at least some portion of September so anything I plan will have to be fit into whatever that schedule looks like.

I've been refreshing my idea of Shoe Box Suppers or Dinners in a Bag or Pantry Shelf Meals or whatever you choose to tag it.  I call them Shoe Box Suppers because that's the way the idea was presented to me via one of the vintage women's magazines.  I have compiled several ingredients needed to make up several of the meal ideas. I need to bag or organize these in some way.  One woman who has done this in bags, also tucked a manual can opener into her bin with the bags.  Not a bad idea especially if you rely on a battery or electric operated can opener.  We don't, so that isn't a concern for us.  

I haven't tried all the recipes I've compiled and if an emergency came up that required I rely on these meals, I could use them for the calories we'd require daily but I'd rather have foods we really can enjoy...I plan to make one Shoe Box Supper each week, just to test recipes and see how we like the food we prepare and to determine how well it fits with my pantry.  Then I can  stock up on those ingredients that fit the recipes we do like.  I plan to blog about the meals we try whether we like them or not and share the recipes.  And I will put a copy of my meal plans list and my shoe box supper recipes in my main recipe notebook. I'll share all the recipes we try even if we don't personally care fro them. Some of you might like them even if I don't and you might like to put them together for your own use.

The seasonal change always makes me keen to do some fall cleaning.  I'm not going to list these tasks, but I'll do what I can this month as I have time each week.  I have slipped hard and haven't been doing deep cleaning tasks for months now, sigh.  So I'll just take jobs as I can fit them into my routine or schedule and call that fall cleaning...And try to keep it up.  Returning to Zone work after a six week break is necessary if I'm to even contemplate foregoing the big spring cleaning round. 

That's all I'm going to plan on doing this month, since I find that keeping Caleb is truly enough work to do each week.  Along with what I've already listed this seems like quite enough to do!

What are your plans for September?

9 comments:

Anne said...

Unfortunately, I purchased the book "Home Comforts" by Cheryl Mendelson, and I came to realize that I had actually read it before and probably burned it in anger. NOBODY could do the amount of housework that she insists is necessary for a decent home. Have you read it, Terri? All kidding aside, it did make me decide I could up my game a little. I mean I do need to figure out how to vacuum UNDER our kind side bed. It doesn't help the cat is terrified of the vacuum and I have to work around him.

I seem to be finally caught up in the flower garden. There are no big projects left, I suppose that is because it's September, but I'm happy about that. My husband is having shoulder surgery in a few weeks so I'm squeezing the last of the "honey do" chores out of him while he can still manage. He finished the new garden gate this week and hung some pictures for me that I insisted had to be moved. We bought a new microwave and my son is coming on Thursday to install it for us. We also need a new dishwasher but don't think we can get it researched, purchased and delivered in the next 24 hrs. :D

The one area in which I am earning an A+ is food. I have hardly thrown away the tiniest mouthful in weeks. I'm not nearly as creative a cook as you, so when I make a meal, we basically just eat it until it's all gone. One of our cats kills so many little outdoor animals that she doesn't eat much of the store bought food, so we have started feeding her less so as not to throw any away. Hey, everybody in this family has to help with the budget. :D

Anne said...

That was supposed to be "king size" bed.

terricheney said...

Anne, I haven't...I've honestly been afraid to read the book because it sounded a bit too much for me. Its hard enough to keep up with just the things I SEE need to be attended to. I will read Heloise or some of the older housekeeping books but I feel about Mendelson the way I feel about Marie Condo. There's merit but then there's a LOT Of OCD. I don't need pressure to do still more!

I too have cut back pet foods. My dogs simply don't eat as much in the heat of summer. Come winter, I'll end feeding them twice a day because they are outdoor dogs and especially in cold weather need those extra calories to stay warm. Especially Rufus who will NOT sleep in his dog house, though Misu seems quite happy to use it.

Lana said...

Anne, You want a Bosch dishwasher. Ours has been running trouble free for ten years. Our long time appliance repairman told is that there is only a $20 switch that goes bad in a Bosch and we can expect it to last 25 years.

Rhonda said...

Good morning, hmmm. I’m still so busy with my parents and Jeff is having back issues, I haven’t made any goals at all. I’m just getting through it all right now,
But I love reading your list and cheering you on!

Anne said...

Lana, thanks, we had decided on a Bosch.

Anonymous said...

I was just about to 2nd the nod to a Bosch. We love ours so very much!!

Terri, you do so much, I can hardly keep up with your narratives of your day-to-day chores you accomplish. We keep our wee little granddaughter (17 mos) every Monday, and are exhausted when she leaves. She is our first grandchild (we are thrilled to have her once a week!!) and we are in our 70's. Oh, how I wish I was even 10 years younger to keep up with her and the things that need doing on a daily basis.

I have always been a year round Christmas shopper, which really does help my anxiety. I usually find a lot of things right after Christmas to put away for the next year, many times at 70% to 90% off. I find that I need those weeks right before the holiday to have time to sit and look at the tree, listen to the music, have time to bake and decorate, and not feel the pressure to be out shopping which certainly is contrary to the meaning of the season!! So again, for my own mental health and anxiety issues, which can impact those around me when I am over-stressed, I try to plan throughout the year.

I hope your plans for September are accomplished, and the days with Caleb are joyful!!!! chris

terricheney said...

Lana/Chris, I read great reviews on the Bosch. I just couldn't afford them when I went to buy but I've been very happy with my minimalist Amana model. It does a great job, is much quieter than my former GE and is apparently saving electricity too, so no complaints.

Chris, I promise you I am exhausted after a full day of Caleb. I just push really hard to get things done during his two hour nap. On really good days I get a nap in too and then I absolutely die most nights once I go to bed, lol.

I was a year round shopper, too but John decided he wanted to give the kids cash. He has gift giving anxiety. I don't. I usually can stick to a good budget and get nice things if I have time to put into shopping. I just ordered something for the two boys across the field. Now I've got only 8 more gifts to buy... I prefer to make December my month to just enjoy and soak in the whole season, not to rush about like a chicken with a fox after it.

Rhonda, I'll take those cheers and I'll cheer you on, too. You are no doubt getting more done than you think but I know that's a hard spot to be in.

Lana said...

A quiet dishwasher is definitely a good thing. We can hardly hear our Bosch running but we have an ancient Whirlpool at the lakehouse that you cannot hear the TV over when it is running.