This Week In My Home: Still Up In The Air?


I think one of the things that was fully embodied in the kitchens of the 1940's and early 1950's was the ideal that the kitchen was the heart of the home.   This kitchen is a case in point.

I believe if I remember the blurb correctly that this is an Armstrong kitchen but not my fave designer.  It think it was her assistant who had become lead designer after Hazel retired.  I encourage you to do a left click and open this one in a new tab so you can really look it over well.

The kitchen footprint is snug and compact. The work triangle is small.  We can't see the sink but I'm assuming it's next to the fridge there on the left hand side.  The bright sunny yellow works well as the kitchen doesn't appear to have a lot of natural light.  I love that the back splash of the counters and the interior of the cabinets are bright white, so you feel you can see all the things well in this kitchen.


Note that use of the back splash with the narrow shelf running along the wall between the upper and lower cabinets.  I've often thought I would like such a shelf on my wall between my cabinets on the baking side of the kitchen.  There's plenty of work counter space, too.   And the amount of cabinets and drawers for storage must be remarked upon as well.

There are open areas to allow light to pass through to the laundry side of the room and plenty of storage there as well.

And then here at the end of the kitchen side is a work desk.   Note that it has a lift top and all those odd little drawers underneath.  

Those same little drawers run along the top of the upper cabinets where you'd normally have dead space.  Frankly I'm not sure how useful those drawers would be.  I'd prefer if they were false fronts to wider storage areas but I suppose the cabinet maker was darned happy to get that order!

The linoleum floors are not to my taste.  It isn't the colors but that the pattern itself seems to have no rhyme or reason.

I do like how the red, white, black and grey are used to accent the yellow and at the same time sort of tones it down a bit, though I don't find it too bright.  Note that there appears to be a black and white wallpaper or floor length curtain beyond the laundry area.  

I won't tell any of you this kitchen was a favorite but what drew my attention at first was the color scheme and the way the whole room was used to encompass a woman's main work area.  I know how much time I spend in my kitchen and I can only imagine how convenient it is to have both desk and laundry all near one another in one room.

This week in my home:  



Katie heard from her job last week saying they should get her started but so far, nothing...So we shall be on standby this week, as well.  I will do as I did last week and do my best to try and do what I can.  I won't just hang out at home though.  I'm sure that Katie will have enough notice that if I'm needed I will be fair warned and can re-plan my week.

In the meantime...Ha!  It's end of one month and the start of another which means I need to get busy getting things done.   It's a return to Zone work this week as fall cleaning is a thing here and since I've missed doing any deep cleaning these past few months and a good bit of routine cleanings, I've got catching up to do!   

Work:  



This first task is based on how this week's weather turns out.  Hard to think of it when it's as hot as it is, but it's time to pull out my winter spread and blanket and hang them on the line to air.  Ditto for the guest room.   And because of that I think this week, I'll just make my zone Beds and Baths week.

I need a curtain rod in the guest room.  I will try to remedy that this week.  John initially put up a dowel rod but it's too thick.  I don't mind that but I need a thinner one for my curtains or to undo the top rod pocket and re-do it.  It shouldn't be a costly thing to replace.

I also need to wash the guest bed coverlet and determine which blanket/quilt will be used as winter covering.

The inside of the back porch railings are clean.  I'm going to work on the inside of the front porch railings this week if I can.   Or the back porch floor. Definitely going to do something to one of the two porches.

If I don't have Caleb for any extended period of time, I may tackle reupholstering my chair and ottoman.  I'll slipcover the seat cushion but I think I'm just going to fit the fabric to the chair.  I keep telling myself I can't do it properly and I can't but the very first chair I did I used NAILS to hold it to the chair and no one ever noticed.  Ever.  Now I at least have a staple gun and I can do my best to hide my tacking work.

Kitchen:  



This week is going to see more menu planning than I've done in a few week's time.  I do have things I wish to use but not any leftovers at the moment to remake so I'll work on a few breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas.  

I'm thinking it's time I made some cookies.  I know, I've been saying that for two or three weeks now...but seriously.  It's time.

I want to work on the cupboard under the baking counter.  I have some storage pieces there and some food stored there.  I would like to have a better supply of foodstuffs under the cabinet and move all the storage pieces into the pantry.  It will all be a bit of a fruit basket turnover thing and truly will hinge on whether or not Caleb is here.  I can work in stages but it will definitely go a lot slower if I must.

Meals for this week:  Chili, Pineapple Salad, Corn Muffins

Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Sauce, Mashed Potatoes, Steamed Broccoli

Chicken Parmesan, Pasta, Salad

Shoebox Supper:  Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole, Green Beans, Strawberry Gelatin with Peaches  This meal will use: 12 ounce can of chicken, wild rice (I have a big container but a box from any brand will do), cream of mushroom soup, diced water chestnuts, a can of green beans, a box of gelatin and half a can of peaches.   From my fridge I'll top the casserole with shredded cheese.

Nachos All The Way, Sliced Cucumbers, Orange Wedges

Leftovers Day

Leisure:  



I finally received my book for the Bible study class.  So I've got two lessons to catch up with and a third one will begin on Thursday.  I'm pretty far behind... I'm going to limit leisure to Bible Study this week and perhaps some reading.

2 comments:

Lana said...

We have outside trim painting to do and some caulking. It will be cold before we know it and we have to get this done! We cannot do Fall weeks at the lake until we finish it! We also need to go get another LP tank. I am wishing we had one to trade but we don't so we have to pay the high price to start on another tank. It is also bill paying and budget week and to the bank for September cash. Hubby just went to fill up the van in case we lose our gas pipeline supply here because of the hurricane.

Have a good week!

Anne said...

We're caught up on lots of projects. Husband just finished a gate for the back yard as I encouraged him to get it done before his shoulder surgery later this month. The doctor said it would be weeks to months before the healing would be complete. Also, I found some yellow mum plants on sale today which I will be planting in two pots in my garden, one in the front, one along the side of the house. I'm sick of the overgrown Dusty Miller in those pots and will be exchanging them for the new mums tomorrow.