In My Home This Week: New Month Hopes

 

Lana suggested last week that bathrooms from the past would be of interest to her when I asked you all last week what you'd like to see.  I've decided to just keep sharing things from the 1920's-1940's era.  Hazel Dell Brown did living rooms and baths, basement rec rooms, studio apartments, sun rooms and bedrooms for Armstrong.   I've collected a lot of images over the years of the main living/dining rooms of houses from the 1920's and '30's that I admire greatly.   For one thing they are such a nice mix of old and new and for another they often are calm but cozy looking images.    After thinking it over, I've decided I'd share some images of all rooms and I'll tell you why I like them so well.  I am not going to share rooms I don't care for...I find if I don't like them I can't tell you what about them I DO like so I will stick to what I like!

This week's image:



This bathroom design was made up by Kohler Manufacturing in 1929.    I encouraged you strongly to open this image in a new tab.  It comes up much larger and the details are well worth seeing!


For one thing we see the popular trend of ceramic tiling that the early 20th century embraced.  These wall tiles are just lovely.  They are striated.  I'm thinking they are all the same pale green but shading was used to add depth to the illustration.  Note that the lower wall is tiled, and the full wall surrounding the tub with overhead shower.   The floor in that lovely checkerboard effect has added detail interest because they used four square tiles to make up each square of color.

The walls above the tile appear to be plastered and painted.  I don't know exactly how they achieved the recessed panel next to the sink mirror but it's a lovely added detail that gives increased interest and a sort of art deco look to the room.  Note the way the radiator is enclosed with tile but has a grill in front so that the warm air can dry or warm the towels.   And that black marble top mirrors the black marble backing for the shelf above the sink bring the black from the floor up into the room.   I love the light above the mirror.  It's a great touch in an area where lack of light can be frustrating.

I love the plaid material which isn't exactly a plaid but is at the same time and the coordinating bath mat.  It's brings in that lovely golden yellow/light brown color into the room.  They pick it up in the trim on the towels.  

I think this is a bathroom that honestly would serve just as well today as it did back then and I like it.  What do you think?

In my home this week:  



One thing that I'm learning is how to fully relax on Saturday while getting minor tasks done.  And how to incorporate little luxuries like mini spa mornings and a special coffee for weekends (me only...John just wants black and that's it!).   So far so good.  Every two weeks or so I'm adding in one or two more things that just seem to add to my pleasure and that help to make me feel restored and ready to tackle a new week ahead.


Work:



Set up my October wardrobe.  I matched up an outfit for today and now I need one for church tomorrow.   I'll try to take time tonight to set up that outfit but tomorrow, after everyone has gone home, I'm definitely going to go to work on setting up 8-10 outfits for this month.  So much easier to just reach in the closet and pull out an outfit that is all set up than to stand around trying on this and tossing it aside and trying on that and then having to change accessories up.  I'd rather not waste my time.

Get the check register sheet for October set up.  I won't write checks until it's time to pay bills but it's so much easier to simply write in check numbers on the register, write out my check and get the envelopes ready for the mail than to do the whole process start to finish all at one go.  It takes a lot of time to do it and I don't have a large window of time to work with this month.

Create a stock up list for holiday foods/meals.

Try to get in a Sunday routine and a Sabbath cleaning routine.  In between I just try to do a general pick up, tackle any smaller jobs I see need to be attended to and sweep the kitchen daily. 

Possible dining room chair project.  I'll update you if this occurs.

Remember I said I was going to go ahead and start painting the bathroom?  I didn't even so much as look at it.  But I'm serious!  This week I'm going to try to get at least one section of wall completely done, the one section that requires no holes to be filled.  I'm not going to push myself hard but I am going to push a little.  If I must, I'll take it in bites.

Try to get Orchids fresh bark and trim dead roots and yellowed leaves.  I did find one slug in the bathroom the other night after I brought in the orchids so this would be a good time to repot them and try to get rid of any further intruders before I move the plants into the kitchen area which is where they do best.

Keep up with Caleb and his needs...And that's quite enough work planned for this week! 

Kitchen:



I don't want to get too redundant with the Gathering Fragments posts and I think they can be tedious reading at times.  I'll continue to share the ideas of how I might use things but will return to including those ideas in my daily diary post each week.    I know that some of you appreciate the creative use of leftovers and I enjoy the creative process in using up what I have but I think by now you've gotten the idea of taking inventory of leftovers and odds and ends and then PLANNING to use and sticking to the plan.  I know some of you like that creative push to spur you on to thinking how to use up your own leftovers, so I will share, just not in a separate weekly post.  I'll designate those things that are Gathered Fragments so you'll know when I share them.

I keep saying I'll make bagels or English muffins.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll get to them this week.

Go through the fridge and organize it, cleaning where necessary.   This is a little harder if Caleb is here as he likes to help himself to things that look interesting so I'm going to try to do this on Sunday evenings until I am not keeping him any longer.

Spend at least one morning doing kitchen prep for the week ahead.

Menus:



out with John

not in any particular order from this point:

Lentil Tacos or Burritos (haven't decided which), Yellow Rice, Salad  I'm out of lettuce so we'll see how I manage a salad.

Gramma's Fried Chicken, Green Beans and Potatoes, Dressing & Gravy, Peach Cobbler

Broiled Sirloin Patties, Gathered Fragment* potatoes and green beans (a combination of leftovers from the past week

Brunswick Stew, Bbq Sandwiches, Chips

Spaghetti with Sauce, Garlic (remember my sauce is loaded with vegetables and has some meat as well) 3 Bean Salad

Mississippi Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Greens

Leisure/Personal:



Pull my next stack of books for reading this month.

Locate a new Bible study amongst my own books.  I'm sure I've got a few tucked away somewhere.  

Take time to color in my Bible as I study passages.

Mini Spa Day(this one done for this week.  I shaved and gave myself a pedicure).

Set up wardrobe for October.

Take a few minutes to go sit outside after Caleb leaves, before it's fully dark or even before he arrives.  I'd prefer the latter because I want the sunlight.

Put together a list of new cosmetics to purchase.

4 comments:

Lana said...

That sure is a lovely bathroom and maybe unusual to have a shower? The colors are so calming and elegant. Do you think this is really a large bathroom for the time? We have looked at so many houses with miniscule bathrooms that it got to be my first destination.

This weekend was our bills and budget time for the month, too. We have to stop by the bank for October cash. I looked at the budget and moved some extra funds to savings. I won't miss it now that it is gone and every bit saved is better for us later on.

My fragment win was saving the bits in the bottom of a big bag of frozen waffle fries. This morning I browned them in some oil to go with our breakfast and they were crispy and delicious. I think I will set up a container to save FF bits from now on.

There is jus a very small amount of painting to finish this afternoon before we begin a rainy week. And then YAY it will be done! This was a project that the more was painted the more needed painted because dingy old paint looked bad next to new paint.

Wishing you a week of long naps for Caleb so you can rest, too!

Donna said...

Love the bathroom! I would have thought that was true luxury growing up. The farmhouse where we lived at had an outhouse and old-fashioned kitchen sink. Eventually indoor plumbing was added. I just laugh when the designers label something "farmhouse". I daresay they never saw a true farmhouse. My rant for the day...lol... Also love the picture of the lady with the clothes dryer and rain visible in the windows. Clever marketing. The pink kitchen is cute. The edges of the countertops has the same metal trim as my countertops. Original kitchen circa 1955.

I try to keep Friday as preparation day for the Sabbath. Too many times I don't get everything done but prioritize tasks. Is everything ever done?

Love the vintage Avon ad. I need to address my leisure/personal time. Like this section of your posts, which I find inspiring.



Liz from new york said...

I love that pink kitchen! I also love the vintage Avon ad, I always think they were so glamorous. I’m thinking of a spa time myself this week. I managed to remove old polish,and trim toes and hands, but not up to the polish part. Maybe a sheet mask, and foot scrub.

terricheney said...

Lana from my reading of books from the era, not completely unusual for modern 20's homes but not the main thing for any farm house for sure. I'm pretty sure all my relatives kept up the portable bathtub and privy routine for their bathroom needs well into the 1950's...

Donna Agreed on the farmhouse trend that bears NO resemblance to a true farmhouse...otherwise there would be color because my family members used color in their homes not gray and white! Also agree that the ad for the dryer is very clever, it's something I thought when I first scanned to download.

Liz, small bites work for mani and pedis too, lol. But yes the small weekly spa treatments rotated out do make me feel awfully well cared for and it does help my mental attitude overall.