How To Survive The Current Season




I can't help but notice that of late there are a great number of headlines.  They are everywhere.  I don't watch news programs but I see and hear a few news items that slip through on search engines or ads on the side of a blog.  Equally as bad are Instagram post headers, vlog episode titles and blogger post headings.  I do realize that some are more interested in getting a view and so their headlines are meant to be clickbait, a lure to draw you in.   I say they are fear mongering.

I admit that after the past two years  we have good reason to be watchful at stores for outages.  Lana and I both noted fewer trains coming through our communities.  I don't live near a seaport as Lana does but I do live near a major portion of railroad line and multiple trains daily travel that line.   In winter especially, though I live 3 miles out of town, I can easily hear the train whistles.  I've heard far fewer of late than I normally have been hearing.  This tells me that shipping has slowed down.


I've heard all sorts of explanations for why we're seeing a few outages and shortages.   My favorite which makes me scoff mightily is that we, as consumers are simply buying too much!  Phooey on that.  I can say for sure that for my household and my family we are not buying more...spending more, why yes we are, but not because we're buying more.    Another was that so many truck drivers were arrested or let go for DUI or substance abuses or 'retired' at age 45 that there were no longer enough truck drivers to meet the demands of supply chains...seriously?  I've known many truck drivers in recent years and I'll tell you quite honestly that those of my acquaintance were not substance abusers nor drunkards and not one of them was anywhere near ready to retire at age 45.   I won't even mention the number of truck driving schools nearby and the number of graduates they've turned out in the last few years.

But I do see a problem here and I'll share with you that the bulk of the problem is that all sources seem to be bent on driving the public to be fearful.  I am not saying there haven't been supply delays, low stock, lack of transports, or even rising costs.  I am saying that because I shop so little, rarely going into a store even once a week, I see the headlines, read the titles, hear the news and often worry that when I do go out to shop I'm going to find prices are through the roof, shelves will be empty and I'll be left scratching my head trying to figure out what we do now...

Might I just add that every.single.time, when I've gone out to a store, I've generally found what I required.  Yes, the price might have increased slightly.  Yes, there might have been less on the shelf.  Yes, there might be a complete outage of a few items but it's seldom a lasting outage.  What isn't in today usually arrives in another day or two.

All that said to say this: there are ways to survive this season of supplies not always meeting demands.

#1.  Don't believe headlines.   Everyone wants you to click on their post/article/vlog to see what is happening.  It drives up their numbers, increases the odds that their piece will move up in the line of most seen.  Go to the store and see for yourself what is in your area.   I have a dollar store in my town, and to the east and west of me, there are three groceries, and six dollar stores.   We generally shop on the west side of Warner Robins.  There are within 5 miles no less than 3 major grocery stores.  That's just in one area.  I can name two other areas within another 5 mile radius that has two groceries each. I can go the same distance into Perry and find 3 major grocery stores.  Without fail, what one store doesn't have another one does.  It's all a matter of warehouse and distribution inventory centers (some supply more than one store) that serve the store/area.  Go SEE what is in stock.  I'll wager that nine times out of ten you don't have to look too hard to find the item or two that you're missing on your list and you won't have to visit more than two stores to find it.

Just today while searching for a recipe I found just such a claim from a large news agency online.  It's totally misleading and, at least for my area, appears to be a complete lie.

#2. Don't always believe your eyes.  Lana shared a conversation she had last month with a store clerk in a popular chain here in the South.  She'd asked about turkeys.  There were none in the freezer cases and she was curious, having heard/read that turkeys might be hard to find and that we should buy them early.   However, upon asking the store clerk she discovered they simply were holding them to put out nearer the Thanksgiving sales season.  There was no shortage at all!

I can say quite sincerely that in my shopping a bit over a week ago, I went into three different grocery stores.  There was no shortages of turkey anywhere I'd been.

What I am having a hard time finding: turkey breakfast or Italian sausage.  This has been an issue for me now for nearly two years.  I can find smoked sausages made of turkey, even hot dogs, but breakfast sausage has been few and far between.  You'll recall that for nearly a year I couldn't buy turkey Spam either.  I adapt.  I miss eating turkey sausage but I can buy ground turkey and make my own.  

#3.  Consider what you can actually use.  Buy what you'd normally purchase.  Go ahead and buy an extra one or two if there are no limits on the item and ample stock, especially if you're a little low in your pantry but for goodness sake don't just buy things because you see them there to be bought.  I will remind you that during the pandemic when rice was no where to be found, a well known vlogger was making a video of her store shelves.  She wandered into the store and found bags of rice.  Although she had 50 pounds of rice at home, she picked up two more bags.  She allowed the fear of not having rice cloud her reasoning.  Truth was she had an average sized family who ate rice no more than twice a week.  That 50 pounds at home was more than enough to see them through the pandemic.   That leads to my next tip.

#4.  Don't become a hoarder.  I am all for keeping a well stocked pantry.  How stocked you are is really up to you.  Because we don't live near stores and have experienced many seasons of fear of job loss, high medical bills, or more limited than usual income, not to mention inclement weather, I've learned to keep at least 3-6 months of food on hand.   That pantry carried us just fine during the pandemic when shelves were pretty empty and purchases limited to one or two per customer.  I could often bypass items because I knew what I had on hand at home.  My thinking was that I could leave those limited items for someone who hadn't any at all.   I'm not touting my own virtuousness.  I'm trying to say that if you walk into a store and buy cases of unlimited items even though your family normally doesn't eat or use the item...that's hoarding.  Buy what your family uses and needs in reasonable amounts.

#5.  Brush up on your frugal skills.   Stretch a meal a bit further.  Pick up the mending basket and mend your items.  Refresh your memory on how to stretch a dollar.  I'm not saying to go back to a poverty mindset but let's face facts.  It's a whole lot easier to manage temporary difficulties if we remember how well we've managed them in the past.  

Use all of your food items at home.  Preserve food items to prevent spoilage.  Use the means you have at hand.  Read bloggers like JES at Strangers and Pilgrims or Anabelle at The Bluebirds are Nesting on the Farm.   Pull our your Cheapskate Gazettes, refresh your memory with old tried and true recipes from your most frugal days.  

And one last final reminder: #6. This is only a season.  I'm not trying to downplay legitimate concerns about rising costs nor empty shelves.  I do realize that because I'm not seeing big  price increases or outages doesn't mean that you mightn't be seeing them in your area.   But please remember that as with all things in life, this is just a season.   All seasons come to an end eventually.


20 comments:

Angela said...

I keep thinking of Y2K. All the FEAR promoted and then... nothing.

I have had some outages at stores- mostly of sale items but there were always alternatives.

We must be flexible. Get what we can and use what we have. I have always stocked what we use and use what we stock. I have been trying to get just a little extra in case. I have family and neighbors that I know for sure that stock not more than a few days food so help may be needed. But it will be eaten either way.

Good advice! As the British say, stay calm and carry on!

Sue said...

My kids used to josh me last year for "hoarding." But I supplied 2 other households with toilet paper and paper towels last year! And was happy to do so. They don't kid me about it any more...

obscure said...

I totally agree with you! I do live in the NYC suburbs so near to seaports but I haven't seen any shortages at all - including turkeys. Agree that sometimes things are out of stock that normally aren't, but seems it's more delay than shortage.

I will say that during the original lockdown here I would binge buy rice, etc when available and donate it to our food pantry in town.

terricheney said...

Angela I know folks who don't keep a pantry too... I grew up with pantries and this is not a foreign idea to me. The main difference is that all my family had gardens and put by things for the fall/winter/spring when fresh wasn't always available. I just buy most of the stuff in mine but I'm thinking hard about that.

Sue, Mine laughed about 'Mama's grocery store' but 2019 and early 2020 no one was laughing...They saw the wisdom and I think they all have been stocking a little more since then.

Obscure, I read a great article today that I hope to share the link to, if I can retrace it. I sent it to myself but not sure where it ended up...It was all about shortages that weren't shortages at all and how stock is computer generated without any say of the store manager etc. It was from UK but interesting all the same.

Your binge buying was a real kindness not a bit of hoarding in that!

Donna said...

I have been thinking along the same lines as you. I do agree with Miss Angela in regard to the whole Y2K fiasco. We don't really know what the future will bring and I believe in keeping a deep pantry. If not for us, there will be others in need. It is evident many folks who are writing articles or making YouTube videos do not have any faith in our Creator at all. I would be very interested in reading the article when you locate it.

Shirley in Washington said...

Very good thoughts on shortages, etc. I agree with all you had to share and have thought many of the same things. Blessings, Shirley

Lana said...

Well said! I am so tired of the fear! Friends are trying to convince us that the power grid is going to go down for a year! I just can't listen anymore! Yes, prices are up but we are still able to keep to our budget. It just means we are working harder for it.

Trains are still few here and the truckers on the road seem to be a lot of newbies. They are so unsafe. An article in my news feed this week said that trucks were lined up waiting to unload at a local grocery distribution warehouse and there was no one to unload them and the drivers were not permitted to do it themselves. The trucks were carrying meat and produce. A local store produce department told me that produce is coming in way past it's prime because it is left sitting around in the supply process. It is verification to me that the food is out there but it is not making it to the store in a timely manner.

I have had to give myself a shake up and tell myself to get back to more scratch cooking instead of moaning if our favorites are not on the shelf. We have the ingredients on hand to make most anything. We just need to do it and those stored ingredients need to be used and rotated.

Great reminder to carry on and do what we know and have always done!

Rhonda said...

I haven’t really been in stores much so I haven’t seen empty shelves.
We are on vacation this week and we went to a grocery store and their prices were much much higher than I expected but I think that’s partly inflation and partly tourist town prices. I just don’t know.

Anonymous said...

We have all been homemakers long enough to have gone through many times we were told there were shortages of certain products or food. Even toilet paper in the eighties. This time the reasons may be different but we will get through it. There are types of things I have not seen any of here since covid became a household word. One thing I noticed is I do not see any tropical fruit cocktail. No bags of it dehydrated either. But I can certainly live with out it ! They showed a map of America this morning on tv and showed how much inflation each state had. The east coast and west coast had the least amount. The central states the highest. Yes our gas prices in California are the highest. But this is usual…..we always have the highest gas prices. Nothing new there. Prices are higher and who knows what will happen next month. We never know. I think you are right. We too have always kept food on hand for use if needed.

The news papers and shows are all full of fear and sad stories. One after the other. When you monitor how much you watch your mind gets a rest from it all. You relax. Who doesn’t need more of that. What good does it do our family when our minds are not calm? How we deal with life is how our children feel. They pick up on how we are coping. Let’s face it, even how our spouse is coping affects how our lives go!! Lol. I am glad you dealt with this issue Terri. I do feel there are changes but they can be managed. Let’s all relax and get on with making our homes our shelters. Our refuge…our happy place. Sarah

Cindi Myers said...

I have found it helpful to focus on what I do have instead of worrying about what I don't. And as others have said, adapt. When I couldn't find turkey at a price I would pay, we were all set to have roast chicken for Thanksgiving. We have done that before and it was fine. In the end, I did find turkey for a good price and purchased one. We're having bean soup and cornbread for supper tonight and I am already looking forward to it -- a simple meal made with pantry ingredients, and one we haven't enjoyed for a while. Focusing on abundance instead of scarcity makes a big difference in my attitude.

terricheney said...

Donna I heard a very interesting debate on news sources pushing things that aren't fact but there's a whole cross section who believe every word they report is TRUE regardless of evidence. It's crazy to me. My heart tells me that God has seen me through many seasons of life and if things do go bad, he'll see me through this one as well. However, I'm just not seeing the things that I keep being told are there...That's why I wrote this post. I was curious if others were seeing the reported things. Apparently no one is!

Sarah, so good to hear from you again. You are quite right, our experiences as homemakers teach us how to work with what we have.

Cindy, I am so glad you found a turkey that was a good price. I've seen some pretty awesome prices and typical for this time of year, just as in past years. I have vintage magazines that suggest what wartime wives were cooking and they included goose, duck, roasting hens, even pork crown roasts. A festive and fancy meal even though it wasn't turkey.

Lana, I've been giving myself the same shake and for the same reasons. We've got this!!

Rhonda, tourist towns always have higher prices. The little Publix we shop at outside in Florida is ridiculous on the very items a tourist might want, like smaller sized mayo or ketchup or small boxes of foil etc. I've pretty much learned what it is worthwhile to pack from home and to buy the main food items which run about the same as at home when I get there.

Anonymous said...

Dear Terri,

Great post. Even though we KNOW that a lot of what is being reported is certainly over-exaggerated if not outright false, it sure gets into your mind all the same if you see/hear it often enough! I've had to give myself a shake, too...No, we don't want to bury our heads in the sand, but the fearmongering is REAL--a little less reading of news would be to everyone's benefit! I've been prompted lately to consider Paul's words to think on lofty things...Certainly if we do, we're not only more productive, but also more joyful and positive! And boy, could the "public" ever use a dose of positive! Thank God we're all in His hands!

Jen in NS

Lana said...

We have been looking for Caffeine Free Pepsi for over a year and found it at Publix today! It made me feel like there is hope and a light at the end of the tunnel!

Terri, Have you looked for the Jimmy Dean precooked turkey sausage? Our discount store has it almost all the time so it must not be selling somewhere.

terricheney said...

Jen, I agree with the 'remember the words of Paul'. I've had reason to quote that in my mind or go look it up since I haven't got it memorized more than once! It's a good 'motto' to live by at all times but especially when the mind wants to pester us with worry, real or not.

Lana, I have looked everywhere for any type of turkey breakfast sausage links or patties, cooked or uncooked, with no luck at all. I can buy some turkey smoked sausage but it's not what I am wanting. I'd found some Jenny O breakfast sausage which we liked rather well and now there is none. The Butterball sausage I don't much like inexplicable went way back up in price once more after coming down to $1.89/pound at the discount store in the next town. I could buy the Jenny O locally at the gambling house grocery in town but refuse to go in there to see if there were any more. Eventually it will show up once again just like the Turkey Spam did.

Angela said...

Sarah you are right about some things not being made anymore. I painted my front porch in Sept/ Oct. When I went to Sherwin Williams I was told that SW is no longer producing porch paint and no idea when they will. They don't have the man power to make all the things right now. However I got deck stain in my color and it seems just fine. And as Cindi said, we adapt.

terricheney said...

I noticed this at Lowe's last time I went to check paint, there was only stains not proper porch paint....Not sure what I'll do about my own porches as I've only ever used paint on them. It's a right pain to scrape it off too...

Angela said...

Terri, I have only ever used porch paint as well. The deck stain was recommended by the manager of our SW. It has only been 6 or 8 weeks since I finished this job but it went on well and so far seems fine. I will let you know how it does this winter.

Deanna said...

Here's my local grocery report:

I got my grocery order from Aldi yesterday and while I was able to get most of what I ordered I did find it interesting that they had no tissues. I had ordered two boxes of the lotion type just to have on hand for the winter. My shopper said they were out and sent me a photo of empty shelves except for two of the rectangular boxes of plain tissues. I still have a couple of boxes so I left those for others.

They didn't have the ham steak I ordered which was no big deal as it was just going into my freezer for an easy meal in the future. I did get a Butterball turkey. I already had one whole and one breast in the freezer from last holiday season so I wasn't concerned one way or another. But now I know I've got plenty for Christmas and New Year's or Easter. They didn't have the family packs of chicken breasts - she said their expected order didn't arrive that day - but it was made up for with three smaller packages.

They were out of the 32 ounce cartons of heavy cream but did have organic (a much pricier option). They were out of Carnation evaporated milk but had plenty of their brand. No graham crackers to go with the marshmallows and Hershey bars I had bought for s'mores but that isn't a big deal.

I now have everything I need for our Thanksgiving meal and won't need to shop again until the following week. I figured it would be best to shop well in advance of the holiday.

I haven't been in a grocery store since March of 2020 so the only empty shelves I've seen have been the ones sent via text by my Instacart shoppers. In my experience it's been sort of hit or miss but we haven't had to do without anything essential. I have bought toilet paper via Amazon Subscribe and Save for many years and always keep a good stock on hand. So even during the serious shortages early in the pandemic I had plenty at home.

Prices have definitely risen, though. I've kept all my grocery order email receipts so I can compare prices on individual item over the past 20 months or so. We are fortunate to be able to afford the increases but I do worry about those who were barely scraping by before.

Through all of this I feel that I've learned more flexibility and gratitude. I haven't always been able to get my usual brand of something and I've had to accept lots of substitutions. But we've been fed and had all we truly need. I know I am blessed.

It's A Classical Life said...

Some very timely advice here Terri! I hope that the people who should be reading this, do! Fear mongering in the headlines is terrible and leads to so much social panic. I hope people use their common sense in the busy-ness of the coming weeks.
We haven't really seen much in the way of shortages here in my town (south-east Australia), nor are there many price hikes. People seem pretty relaxed at the moment. Fingers crossed it stays that way!
Kirsty x

terricheney said...

Deanna, Thank you for sharing! I am truly curious what various parts of the country are experiencing and I'm well aware that while a few are good to comment others are reading from the same area who might never comment but don't know what another has seen or heard. It gives us all a real on the ground report to check our facts against.

Kirsty, thank you. Common sense amongst frugal folks usually runs high but we all can use a reminder.