The Homemaker Plans Her Week: New Month, Same Routine

 


In my home this week,  it's looking like spring has decided to stay.  The weather is meant to be nice all week long.  I noted that the purple iris have started to bloom.  I should see the golden yellow ones to be coming along anytime now. 

I'm longing to get out and do things outdoors and I have been out for minutes at a time to do small tasks.  It's surprising how much you can do in just 15 or 30 minutes if you're consistent in working.  


But indoors, everything is just routine.  Or is it?  I'm thinking of spring like things to do in the housekeeping department, ready to start making meals that are a bit lighter.  I'm ready to move plants back outdoors...but it's a little too early.  I try not to put them back outdoors until nighttime temps are in the 60's.  I think I have about one or two more weeks before I can do this.  But it's all part and parcel of the seasonal shift inside and outside of our home.


Work:









I have to see Mama this week.  Not sure when.  We were trying to coordinate schedules and of course, I never know just how the week is going to go.  We're down to just two days that she finds acceptable as visiting days for this coming week.

Empty soil from pots and start cleaning.  I have two or three pots that have split from years of use and need to replant those items.  

Indoors, it's a new month and I start this month Zone 1: Kitchen, laundry, back entry.  I've been very careful about keeping the cabinet fronts cleaned this past month.  I've worked hard at decluttering the space this month, too. I need to mop the floor and the rug could use a bit of spot cleaning.  I need to sort out the cabinets on the baking center wall and see what can be declutterd or arranged better.  Ditto for under the kitchen sink. I'd like to freshen the decor in the kitchen.  Time to put away the throws and heavy needlepoint cushion covers.  I want some new spring-ish towels.  Just little touches. Then that room will be ready for the new season.  

I think I'll focus on cleaning the back entry and laundry.  I know the backdoor needs a good wipe down.  I've been seriously debating repainting both my entry doors.  They've been red for years now but I'm think of going with Navy.   I find that so many things I'd like to use on wreaths clash with the red.  I think the Navy would look fresh and lend itself better to whatever colors I want to use, even other blues.  In the meantime, clean the doors.  

It's time to remove some of the clutter from the coat hooks, too.  I need to do something about corralling shoes at the back.  I've tried various means and I think a laundry type basket would work best, preferably one that will slide under the bench in the entry.  

Last, I'd like to bring out the Easter things.  Truth, this is probably the last year that the little resin rabbits will likely come out.  Over the years, they've become the worst for wear.  It's time to toss them, really but I think Caleb will enjoy them this year.  I really need to consider replacing these since the grands enjoy them so much.  Perhaps this is the year to add something new?

Kitchen:

Meal planning and prep.  I think I'm going to wait until the start of the week to plan meals.  Until I clear and clean the fridge, I really don't plan well.  Last week I found a pound package of mushrooms that I'd bought and immediately forgotten, as well as asparagus.  Obviously, I need that reminder of what I have in order to plan meals well.  I'll just do a short post on Monday with menu plans for the week. And of course, I share what we actually ate on my Thrifty Thursday posts so you can see how I roll with changes that come up in schedule and such.

Prepping ahead has been a great saver of time and mental energy each week and is more than worth spending an entire morning in the kitchen.  BUT...I really need to take time to plan lunches and breakfasts.  And it would do me well to get a few things like pancakes, waffles, French toast, breakfast sandwiches, etc. into the freezer.  I have discovered that no matter how much I make of a morning, there's seldom enough left to set aside for future needs.  Not because we're overeating but because once we've had our meal there's just about enough for two at best to eat, and not enough for one.  This is mainly because I tend to make single recipes first off in the morning. It would be much better to just work on this after we've already had breakfast, and most importantly, after I've had coffee, so that I have a clear brain for doubling recipes so there's plenty to put into the freezer or fridge.  

Last week, I made it a point to make sure I was producing something in my kitchen.  I want to do something similar again this week.  I have a lot of cranberries in the freezer, having bought several packs of them over the winter when they were fresh in the stores.  Truth is, I don't know exactly how many bags I have.  Four?  Six?  

Obviously, time to also try to work out an updated inventory of the freezer, as well.  It's not necessary with the fridge freezer.  I've got that pretty well organized and know about all that is in there.  But I truly need to look over the inventory of the upright freezer and see just what I have.  

Personal/Leisure:

I finished one book last week and started another.  Currently reading Stars in Your Eyes by Emilie Loring.  I don't expect that book to last me more than 24 hours at best.  I've had a few different ideas of what to read next already.  I have a lot of new to me books on my shelves at the moment to choose from.

Read a poem every night before bed.   My new copy of 100 Best Loved Poems arrived Friday.   It is not the book I remember but never mind.  I've put it on my bedside table and plan to read one poem every night before lights out.

Manicure/Pedicure.

Set up outfits...I did not do this last week as planned.  It's just a little added help especially if I'm in a hurry.  Anything that reduces stress is a good thing at this point in my life.

Sit on the porch every day.  Morning, afternoon, evening, any time I can manage it for just a few minutes of peace and quiet every single day.  No clue how I'll hush up the cat who has become contentious as can be in her senior years...But I'm going to try to find a bit of space and peace.

3 comments:

Mable said...

Once I decided to make a lot of sourdough pancakes to freeze the leftovers. I got a bit carried away---after we were finished with breakfast, I had 96 pancakes to freeze!

A book and movie recommendation if you have not come across it before and are looking for something different to read: THe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Starts in England right after WWII and leads to learning the story of how the island of Guernsey, the Nazi invasion there and how folks survived. An interesting and uplifting story. The movie is good, too.

Happy Palm Sunday.

Rhonda said...

I don’t know what your porch bunnies look like but using gloss brown spray paint on bunnies to make them look like chocolate bunnies is popular and looks really nice.
Jimmy starts a new job tomorrow and has been filling their freezer with breakfast burritos to make mornings a little smoother. Jeff happily eats a grand biscuit with sausage most mornings. I cook them in bulk so there are always some in the freezer ready to reheat.

terricheney said...

Mable, Hmmmm...I'd say you definitely got carried away, lol.
I've got the book somewhere around here and have seen the movie too. They are both equally good. John got caught up in the movie with me.

Rhonda, I don't have porch bunnies, but little 3 or 4 inch resin bunnies. Their ears have been knocked off and some of them have no tail or are missing a limb. But now you have me wanting to look for bunnies I can paint chocolate brown to look like real chocolate bunnies. Reminds me of a long saved Martha Stewart Living magazine page. It had a large chocolate rabbit sitting on a mound of moss in a pretty basket. It looked lovely.

John loves Grands biscuits too and they do have the advantage of freezing and thawing well once cooked. Also did you know that Frugal Life Thrifty Wife vlogger puts her unopened cans of biscuits, crescents and cinnamon rolls right into the freezer. She says they all work just fine after thawing!

Good luck to Jimmy on the new job and what a great idea to have breakfast burritos ready for the family to eat each morning.

The Homemaker Plans Her Week: Baby Blue