It's All Reruns From Here









I was feeling a good bit better yesterday and glad of it too, even though our dinner was smaller than usual.  I made stuffing and stuffed our turkey breast before breakfast yesterday morning.  I'd baked sweet potatoes earlier in the weekend and peeled and mashed those ready for souffle. Frozen green beans became Beans Almondine and John asked to bypass dessert entirely.  So the leftover pumpkin from last week (I can't remember why I used half a can of pumpkin at all!) became Pumpkin Waffles  and Turkey Sausages for our breakfast.  It was a great eating day, lol. 


However, before I got the breakfast dishes cleared away, John got a call and had to leave the house.  I didn't want him to go.  It was our holiday and the only one we'll get, but that's the way holidays in my home tend to roll even if we aren't observing the holiday on the official date, sigh.  Well, in the end it all worked out pretty well.  He was only a bit over an hour past dinner time when he returned which was far sooner than either of us figured it would be. 


In the meantime, I thawed chicken broth for gravy since there was no giblet bag with my turkey breast and then went about doing light housework.  I didn't have much to do thankfully and was able to rest.  That turkey roasting in the oven smelled soooo goood!  And when it came from the oven, it was just lovely.

I had a hard hard time fighting off the desire to eat some of that turkey and stuffing!  It seemed my fingers just wanted to pinch a bit of stuffing, take a crisp piece of turkey skin or pluck a tiny piece of meat.  I held off though, but gosh was it hard!  Hungry!  I don't think I've been so hungry in the past week as I was smelling that brown roasted turkey.  Oh my!  I was some kind of happy when he called to say he was fifteen minutes from home.  Honey, I stirred around in that kitchen and got things together for our meal and was ready to plate when he walked in the door, lol.

Here's my Thanksgiving table setting at present...And it may be right where I am come Thursday, too.



I bought lovely fabrics to make a runner for the table.  There's a beautiful toile, burlap and a nice rustic plaid...and it's all still sitting on the sewing table.  I've already shared that when I went into the craft room the other day I ended up facing that heap of pants I needed to hem.  So I hemmed those.  I am ashamed of how long some of those pants had been waiting to be hemmed!  I'm trying to finish up unfinished projects before the end of the year.

Today John had to leave again and I did feel much, much better.  I did a few household chores, but then I went off to the craft/guest room.  I have a rocking chair in that room that has been moved all about the house, but I think it's finally found a home.  I just love going to sit in that room by the window and rocking while I look out the window and dream or think.  This morning I contemplated the guest room.  I have one of the quilts my grandmother made upon the bed, but I have to truthful.  Grandmama had a habit of using odd mixtures of colors.  Her 'eye' was definitely different than mine.  The quilt made me feel irritable every time I looked at it.  There are a few good squares, a few that are just a tad off and several that just jar me entirely.  I wanted to do something differently in that room so badly, especially since Samuel is planning to come stay this week.

I was partially hindered by the single curtain panel I had bought at the thrift store in the summer, a red and white toile, which I loved.  But just one panel...well I decided to just go for it this morning and hung the panel.  It is a tab back curtain and it just fits that window.  I decided that if I buy ribbon, I can tie it up like a Roman shade which would look just fine and right.  In the meantime that meant putting the comforter set I'd bought last autumn on the bed...only the shams for that comforter were being used on my bed.  I had to rustle around in the fabric stash and found the shams I'd made this summer and started to pull the stitches so I could remake them properly.

That soon palled, lol.  I couldn't see what I was doing even by the light of the window and it seemed that one eye was just bound to blur each time I started to pull threads.  About halfway through that project I decided to see if I even liked that fabric with my quilt and I didn't.  Back to the fabric stash.  I found a curtain panel I bought five years ago that seemed the perfect fabric.  I took it to my room and really liked the way the colors came together.  It took a bit of figuring to plan exactly how to make the shams.  I finally had a plan and after I cut the fabric realized I'd planned all wrong, lol.  I was fortunate that I could make the pieces work just fine without cutting anymore fabric.  Here's the end results of my morning's work:

 The new shams on my bed.  I love love love this pattern.  I used 1 1/2 of these panels several years ago to cover a chair (which sadly needs recovering).  The colors match well with my quilt in my room.

 I pushed the curtain to one side so I could see to sew earlier.  It's really a pretty toile, more red than the comforter in reality, but just far enough away from it to not be a major mismatch.
Last year's comforter set and the quilt my Great Aunt Myrtle made.  It's truly pretty across the foot of the bed but I'm afraid it will be found sorely insufficient as extra cover.  A little too short and too light for real warmth.  There are lots of other quilts though that might be used as extra bedding when needed.  I could get the best shot of the comforter and quilt from this side...the other side faces the door and the comforter is a little longer on that side of the room.  I need to find a dust ruffle or bed skirt to make the bed look more finished.

I spent the time after lunch (John got back home about the same time as yesterday and we had a quick meal of burgers, slaw and chips which I started the moment he called) cutting apart the old necklaces and bracelets that I no longer want and sorting the beads into a neat little double organizer.  I plan to play about with beads and make a few 'new' items from my old pieces this next year.  That took several hours but I worked happily away.  Sometimes I think mindless work is a nice change from the usual thought required tasks, don't you?

Plans for the rest of this week are fairly simple.  I've promised John I'd made cookies.  He BOUGHT cookies today because I've simply not felt up to a long day in the kitchen this past week and along about a certain hour each day he wants a little something sweet.  The cookies he bought are good, but I couldn't help but think that what he paid for them would have made far more than was in that packet!   There's also the promise of turkey noodle soup but he'll want that when he's off again next week.  I might prepare this week and put in the freezer (all except the noodles of course). 

I'll have dinner at Mama's on Thursday but there's not a thing to do for that except show up and eat and help clear up afterwards.  I'm not terribly sure what is in store for me on Friday or Saturday of this week but that's okay.  I'm okay with going with the flow for a change. 

I think my husband just might possibly be ready for supper.  I need to pack a work lunch for him too, so best get up and get busy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you are not feeling well. I am battling a cold, that will not go away and I have no voice. My hubby woorks most hoildays and we have to celebrate early but I try to remember is we are all tighter and that si what is important. Still it is hard. Clarice

Kathy in Illinois said...

I"m glad you're feeling better, Terri. Your Thanksgiving table looks lovely. I want to wish you a happy and grateful and peaceful Thanksgiving.
God bless, Kathy in Illinois