Menu Monday - Post Holiday Plans

Rain, gentle but steady is falling down outdoors...and so is the temperature falling.  Our high and our low today was expected to be but one degree different, lol.  We need the rain and every little bit we get is counted as blessing so no complaints.  However, cold and rain make me think of comforting foods that warm you inside and out, hearty enough to hold you through the afternoon.  I did a freezer inventory a little ago and felt very blessed indeed to have the foods we have on hand.  My grocery list this week is devoted to stocking the pantry and buying a few holiday foods ahead.

Monday:  Lazy Day Beef Stew, Corn Muffins, Baked Apple with Caramel cream sauce
I love this easy stew.  I have enough left for another meal for John and I later in the week, just enough for a supper one evening.
All that is needed: 1 pound cubed beef, 1 cup chopped carrot, 1 cup chopped onion, 1 cup chopped potato, 1 cup frozen green peas, 1 can tomato soup, 1 can water, 1 bay leaf.  Cover dish with foil and top with lid, cook at 250F in oven for 4-5 hours.  No salt needed by the way, the soup has plenty of that in it.



Tuesday:  Deli Combo Meal
There's a special at the grocery where I mean to shop tomorrow: Choice of  8 pieces fried chicken or 1 whole deli roasted chicken, 2 sixteen ounce sides and 4 rolls, $9.  Seriously good deal.  I mean to have a bit of this today and set aside the rest for Saturday's dinner following synagogue.


Wednesday:  Turkey and Rice Soup, Waldorf Salad
 John asked me specifically to make this soup this week and I mean to oblige him.  It is economical, delicious and just about perfect for a cool autumn day.


Thursday:  Spaghetti and Meatballs, Garlic Toast, Green Salad
I was clearing my big recipe notebook the other day and came across a photo/recipe for spaghetti and meatballs.  Gracious but it made my mouth water!  That's a nice comforting meal too.  I plan to add a zucchini and some grated carrot to the sauce.  It adds sweetness and fiber that fills you up.

Friday:  Leftover Turkey and Rice Soup, Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches, Tangerines

Saturday:  Chicken dinner leftovers

Sunday:  Roast Beef,  Cauliflower au gratin, English Peas, Rolls, Cupcakes.
I have a big Rib Roast in the freezer and it's my intention to cook half of it.  I think a Sunday roast is in order this week...why?  Because I  feel like making one! lol  I haven't done anything elaborate or special on the weekends in a while, because I am usually too tired, but I can pull this meal off without too  much trouble if I make the rolls and cupcakes ahead on Friday.  

No comments: